Final Payment Due Mar 7th - Don't know what to do

mom_n_mi

We are scheduled to sail on June 5th. This is a present for my HS Senior. FInal payment is due March 7th. At this point the cruise has not been canceled.

I can make the final payment, pray and hope we go on the cruise.

Or I don't, keep my $2k and put that towards another trip / gift for my Senior.

If the cruise is paid for, they cancel it, I can get the FCC or a refund, but I won't get that until later. Which means I won't have money to put towards a trip / gift for him.

I did put down a non-refundable deposit, but this was pre-covid. I booked 18 months out. Do you think they would apply that to a future cruise or refund?

Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, mom_n_mi said:

If the cruise is paid for, they cancel it, I can get the FCC or a refund, but I won't get that until later

An early June cruise is likely to get canceled by mid-April and you'll likely get your refund by mid-May, just in time for graduation. 

• Like 2

They will not refund the NRD in cash. If you cancel you would get it as a FCC without the normal $100 fee being applied. 

If it were me, I’d go with Biker’s suggestion of pay in full and take all the funds back. Just me though. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mom_n_mi said:

We are scheduled to sail on June 5th. This is a present for my HS Senior. FInal payment is due March 7th. At this point the cruise has not been canceled.

If the cruise is paid for, they cancel it, I can get the FCC or a refund, but I won't get that until later. Which means I won't have money to put towards a trip / gift for him.

I did put down a non-refundable deposit, but this was pre-covid. I booked 18 months out. Do you think they would apply that to a future cruise or refund?

Thoughts?

If it's a NRD, pay the final payment and wait for a refund when they cancel it. If refundable, cancel now. Refunds are fast now for straight up cancellations. Just got mine in 3 days.

You are not cruising in June!

Why does the gift have to be a trip?

Edited by cruisinfanatic

I called Royal Caribbean yesterday about my booking for June 5 8-day Independence (final payment due by March 7).  Was told it has been cancelled by Royal.  Was offered option to book an alternate 7-night sailing (name of ship or sail date unknown) or receive refund in same form original deposit was made.  My advice is call Royal or your travel agent, as the case may be.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, logan25 said:

I called Royal Caribbean yesterday about my booking for June 5 8-day Independence (final payment due by March 7).  Was told it has been cancelled by Royal.  Was offered option to book an alternate 7-night sailing (name of ship or sail date unknown) or receive refund in same form original deposit was made.  My advice is call Royal or your travel agent, as the case may be.

They told you it was canceled?  Hmmm, I'm on an 8 day on Indy at the end of June, not a peep from Royal. 

9 minutes ago, rockmom said:

They told you it was canceled?  Hmmm, I'm on an 8 day on Indy at the end of June, not a peep from Royal. 

I contacted them solely with the intent to make or request pushing off final payment deadline.  I also have received no communication from them even though I booked directly with Royal.

4 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Refunds are fast now for straight up cancellations. Just got mine in 3 days.

While they are faster (sometimes) there is a difference in the length of time that it take for cruises that you cancel on your own (pretty quick) vs cruises that Royal cancels (not near as quick)

Edited by Ourusualbeach

54 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I'm booked on Indy in May and have not heard anything from Royal. (I expect it to be cancelled, but it's still showing as one of my "upcoming cruises".)

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While they are faster (sometimes) there is a difference in the length of time that it take for cruises that you cancel on your own (pretty quick) vs cruises that Royal cancels (not near as quick)

Agree, since Summer-Jan me canceling 2-3 weeks, 2wks in Dec and Jan, but Royal it's been 3-5 weeks. Though know others haven't had as much luck either way

5 hours ago, mom_n_mi said:

Thoughts?

I believe another option you have is to transfer your deposit to another sailing.   Maybe later this year or next year?  But cruise fares for 2022 are higher for most cruises.

Imo I would make final payment then get full cash refund or they may give you option to do lift n shift to may/june 2022 sailing at same rate you booked for this sailing.

6 hours ago, logan25 said:

Interestingly I was able to do a mock booking for this sailing just now. 

You have probably already thought of this, but, just to be complete, what do you do if you do pay for the cruise and it's a go?  Will you?

I think that if I thought I might go on the cruise I would pay it off.  Take my chances with fate.  If I was not going to go on the cruise, even if it's a go, I would cancel just before final payment is due.

Just my two Quatloos.

• Like 1