Alaska Senators & "Alaska Tourism Recovery Act"; a technical fix for Alaska Cruises

nini

9 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess has cancelled their one-way Alaska cruises from Vancouver, They have not yet cancelled their round-trip Seattle cruises even though they are not currently listed as available.

Princess has not cancelled the round trip Seattle cruises because of the possibility the PVSA might be waived.

Princess is not accepting new bookings for this itinerary because of the probability the PVSA will not be waived.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess has not cancelled the round trip Seattle cruises because of the possibility the PVSA might be waived.

Princess is not accepting new bookings for this itinerary because of the probability the PVSA will not be waived.

Even if the PVSA was waived ( an extremely thin possibility), there is still the fact that the test cruises mandated by the CDC have not even started yet. To have everything in place for cruises to start for the Alaska season is just not happening.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 5:13 PM, chengkp75 said:

....a total of 19 deaths if you include the duck boat incidents, which are not ferries.

Also not a ferry, but not a duck boat either, is the Ethan Allen tour boat sinking on NY's Lake George in 2005 which killed 20.

(Which is irrelevant to your point about ferry safety, and I'm not trying to challenge that point. I'm just saying more than 19 people died in passenger vessel accidents over the last 20 years because I know of that particular one in my area. Maybe it being a freshwater vessel makes it not count under SOLAS stats?)

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What are the Senators going to do about the CDC requirements that the cruise lines haven't addressed yet?  It's a moot point if the CDC won't allow ships to sail.

Yes, I'll think you're right about that. In President Biden's recent speech he set an aspirational goal of being able to have small gatherings on Independence Day, but specifically excluded large gatherings. If the federal government thinks large gatherings, of which cruising presumably an example, are entirely off the table for early July I can't see them being on the table soon enough to make an Alaska cruise season viable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caribill said:

Another possible reason that round trips from Seattle haven’t been cancelled is that passenger  funds can be kept until cancellations occur.  They are in no rush to give back fares 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nocl said:

You must not have been around around the time when Enron collapsed,  and the issues the California power grid went through just before then.

The  current issues with the grid, fires, and shutdowns not exactly a plus.

Used to visit SF fairly frequently. but not these days. Friends I used to visit have moved out saying that they could not take the increasing crime rate anymore. Now when I cruise out of SF. Leave my car near the airport, and take a limo to/from the port. Know too many that have smash and grab breakins in their cars.

I am a CA resident.

Lots of issues in lots of states. Funny to watch the  look at their problems but we don't have any type comments.

Texas should offer a free class to teach people how to turn off their water and drain their pipes when it get that cold and the power fails.

o.o.

I live 15 minutes from downtown San Francisco. I have been there for decades and well before the Enron scam.

Never had a real problem with the grid. No problems with vehicle being broken into. Family members and friends have not had problems with break ins. The biggest problem I have seen over the years was the Loma Prieta earthquake back in '89. Now that was a wild ride. The power went out for a brief time then, in the neighborhood I lived in.

The wild fires due to climate change tend to be in areas with little population. When a  block or section of grid is shut down to prevent fires it has a very limited effect due to it mainly being in rural areas. That is the advantage of actually having a grid that is designed so sections of it can be routed around if there is need to work on it. This is not where a large percentage of the population is nor is it for days without power like in Texas. PG&E does have its problems but with the court mandated changes it may start to behave responsibly. I actually saw linesmen performing preventive maintenance to the 230kV lines that lead to the Martin substation. In the past PG&E would wait until there was a major problem before performing maintenance.

Draining pipes in freezing conditions in Texas may be sensible assuming the plumbing is designed to be drained. It would be better if the utilities where designed to be resilient so that going with out water would not be necessary.

(That reminds me of events on a cruise ship running in a humid climate and passengers having balcony doors open and air condition running and complaining of condensation. Use common sense).

As you say each of the states has its own problems. The actual big problem in California is fresh water or the lack of it in the correct places. What were damp forests have been drying out and dying.

Meanwhile up in Alaska the glaciers are receding so hurry up and see them when you can and help support the locals there.

Edited by brisalta

On 3/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, chengkp75 said:

That is unknown, since it relates to many different countries.  However, in the same 20 years, the US has transported over 2.3 billion passengers by ferry, and had a total of 2 deaths, and a total of 19 deaths if you include the duck boat incidents, which are not ferries.

You merely need to look at some of the worst disasters going back 50 years, to see:

Le Joula:  capacity of 536 pax and 44 crew, sank with 1863 pax onboard, only 66 survived.

Dona Paz: capacity of 1424 pax and 66 crew, sank with an estimated 4386 deaths, because there was no accurate passenger count, and 2000+ people were missing.  Only 24 survived.

And, so on and so on, one overloaded ferry after another.

On top of that in 2019 there was the, Conception, dive boat incident off of Santa Cruz Island. The Conception rapidly burnt late at night and 34 people died. The investigation indicated that there were grey areas in the regulation of vessels under 100 gross tons and a change in the safety laws was made as a result. It seems some of the existing regulations had been skirted.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/small_vessel_rule_changes_following_conception_dive_boat_disaster_20210110

This change will also improve safety for people that go on small boat excursions in Alaska.

1 hour ago, tanyaewa said:

Another possible reason that round trips from Seattle haven’t been cancelled is that passenger  funds can be kept until cancellations occur.  They are in no rush to give back fares 

That's the answer period.... the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I live 15 minutes from downtown San Francisco. I have been there for decades and well before the Enron scam.

Never had a real problem with the grid. No problems with vehicle being broken into. Family members and friends have not had problems with break ins. The biggest problem I have seen over the years was the Loma Prieta earthquake back in '89. Now that was a wild ride. The power went out for a brief time then, in the neighborhood I lived in.

The wild fires due to climate change tend to be in areas with little population. When a  block or section of grid is shut down to prevent fires it has a very limited effect due to it mainly being in rural areas. That is the advantage of actually having a grid that is designed so sections of it can be routed around if there is need to work on it. This is not where a large percentage of the population is nor is it for days without power like in Texas. PG&E does have its problems but with the court mandated changes it may start to behave responsibly. I actually saw linesmen performing preventive maintenance to the 230kV lines that lead to the Martin substation. In the past PG&E would wait until there was a major problem before performing maintenance.

Draining pipes in freezing conditions in Texas may be sensible assuming the plumbing is designed to be drained. It would be better if the utilities where designed to be resilient so that going with out water would not be necessary.

(That reminds me of events on a cruise ship running in a humid climate and passengers having balcony doors open and air condition running and complaining of condensation. Use common sense).

As you say each of the states has its own problems. The actual big problem in California is fresh water or the lack of it in the correct places. What were damp forests have been drying out and dying.

Meanwhile up in Alaska the glaciers are receding so hurry up and see them when you can and help support the locals there.

Guess you must not read the SF Chronicle either.  Even they say smash and grab car break ins are at epidemic level down town.

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/trackers/sf-car-breakins/

or the local TV station

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/string-of-car-break-ins-in-san-francisco-neighborhood/

A friend of mine was checking into a hotel near fisherman's wharf last year. Walked in to check in, came out 3 minutes later to find his window smashed and his back pack missing.  When he reported the theft he was basically told not worth the time to send an officer to take a report.  That even if they caught someone the DA would not prosecute.

I, myself saw 4 cars in a row with their passenger windows smashed parked near the Ferry Terminal.

SF used to be one of our go to places for short trips. Used to go every month or two.  Tended to stay across from the Ferry Terminal.  Over the last few years the attractiveness has declined.  We still visit on occasion, but we do not bring a car into the city.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nocl said:

Guess you must not read the SF Chronicle either.  Even they say smash and grab car break ins are at epidemic level down town.

or the local TV station

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/string-of-car-break-ins-in-san-francisco-neighborhood/

A friend of mine was checking into a hotel near fisherman's wharf last year. Walked in to check in, came out 3 minutes later to find his window smashed and his back pack missing.  When he reported the theft he was basically told not worth the time to send an officer to take a report.  That even if they caught someone the DA would not prosecute.

I, myself saw 4 cars in a row with their passenger windows smashed parked near the Ferry Terminal.

SF used to be one of our go to places for short trips. Used to go every month or two.  Tended to stay across from the Ferry Terminal.  Over the last few years the attractiveness has declined.  We still visit on occasion, but we do not bring a car into the city.

Here in NY state it's catch and release for nonviolent felonies. They get arrested and they are out by the end of the day to perform another crime. I can understand why the police don't want to be bothered.

On 3/14/2021 at 4:16 PM, nocl said:

or the local TV station

Anyone anywhere who leaves objects in plain view in a parked car is just asking to get robbed

21 minutes ago, memoak said:

Anyone anywhere who leaves objects in plain view in a parked car is just asking to get robbed

In the case of my friend his backpack was on the floor of the passenger side, under the dashboard. Not easily visible from outside of the vehicle.  

I wonder if all 4 of those in a row, that I saw near parked  the Ferry Terminal had objects in plain view or not.

56 minutes ago, memoak said:

This is terrible logic. I certainly hope you aren't condoning the thieves taking visible objects from a car.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2021 at 5:37 PM, brisalta said:

What was the cause of the wildfires before the climate changed?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

This is terrible logic. I certainly hope you aren't condoning the thieves taking visible objects from a car.

Well, if they were invisible, no one would see them!

:classic_wink:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, memoak said:

In Texas they break into locked cars with nothing visible through the window.

They want to open the glove box to see if there is a gun inside to steal

13 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

It is like walking around with a hundred dollar bill hanging out of your pocket

14 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Great point!  Pretty sure the wild fires are caused by the underbrush that the State of California refuses to remove because it may harm some tit mouse or like creature. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Great point!  Pretty sure the wild fires are caused by the underbrush that the State of California refuses to remove because it may harm some tit mouse or like creature. 

The tit mouse or whatever creature was there first.  We are invading their territory.  BTW - how did this thread on modifying the PVSA which is a valid topic on a cruise board degrade to one trashing San Francisco.  I suggest that the moderator close this one down.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, nocl said:

In the case of my friend his backpack was on the floor of the passenger side, under the dashboard. Not easily visible from outside of the vehicle.  

I wonder if all 4 of those in a row, that I saw near parked  the Ferry Terminal had objects in plain view or not.

People who break windows don't do it for kicks that kind of fun is reserved for tire slashers. Most likely there was something of value even if it was loose change in a cup holder. Drug addicts will do anything for money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

People who break windows don't do it for kicks that kind of fun is reserved for tire slashers. Most likely there was something of value even if it was loose change in a cup holder. Drug addicts will do anything for money.

that why I don't lock the doors to the Jeep ( soft top ) - let them have anything they want in it, just don't cut the plastic windows in the rear to get whatever you want 

• Like 2

As a person who has lived 15 min from downtown SF and 15 min from downtown Dallas, I find the political posts based on media that add no useful content particularly painful to read.  Please respect your fellow human and understand that some are suffering.

As the Dali Lama states, we should all have empathy for our fellow humans and strive to reduce suffering.  Yes, the mild climate and the ability to survive an 'on the street life' of a drug addict does attract the homeless poor to this region and many dont die due to neglect.

Realize that each of these persons had a mother who gave them birth, were loved and loved and dreamed of a peaceful life like you enjoy, just as your children do.  Most religious leaders, like JC, suggest we try to love all other people, as if they were our own children.  We are also not advised to judge, lest we be judged ourselves.  Are you without flaw?

On topic, perhaps if the 2 senators had voted for and participated in the recent congressional acts, it might have made it in.  It would have been a powerful olive branch.  Doesnt seem like any interest in that, nor any positive developments away from the negative 'triggering the base' tactics of the last decade will ever happen though.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Before -the Climate Change controversy-lightning. Now-arson caused by Antifa and other terrorist groups.  2 years ago in Southern California when there was Santa Anna winds, 20 wildfires were started within a 20 minute period. 1000's of homes are lost every year in California due to these arson caused fires.    Where I live, there has been 8 arson fires with several homes burnt down, including a 2 year old girl killed.  Getting back to this subject, write your congressman and Senators to open up Alaska cruises without a required stop in Canada.