Farewell to June... maybe July

BirdTravels

9 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Crystal Cruises just announced they are going to do a Bahamas only cruise itinerary starting in July.  Partner already has both vaccine shots, I’m getting my second the end of this month.  Looks like I’ll be cruising this summer.

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

At a starting price of $1999 per person for the week, these cruises are not priced for the typical Norwegian Caribbean focussed cruiser.

Also many NCL / RCI / Carnival passengers are the local residents living near to the US cruise hubs. They may not prefer flying to another country for embarkation (the embarkation port of Crystal Cruises will be in the Bahamas).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

What is the exact date the CDC return to cruising document ends? I believe that was Mid November 😞. I know I sound like a broken record, but unless that CDC document is revised, and/or the technical sheet is published removing some of the most intrusive requirements, ships won't be sailing with paying passengers. There is simply too much liability. My best guess is for Q421 to restart (once the current CDC document expires) with some very short cruises to the Bahama Private Islands from Florida. I have a January 2022 cruise booked and am already aligning back up plans. 

I'm not sure when that CDC document ends. I agree, the CDC will have to get the technical guidance out (for test cruises, etc) and ease up on those stringent requirements. I remain somewhat hopeful, that with the vaccine(s) availability, distribution & jabs continuing to improve by the day/week, that the CDC will in fact do these things. But, I also am realistic and don't have my hopes up too high. I will "ride it out" and let NCL cancel the cruise and I'll take a full refund. Your best guess of Q421 would be Oct-Dec 2021, correct? If the restart does indeed happen in Q4 and early in Q4 (Oct), my PoA cruise has a chance.

On 3/14/2021 at 7:10 AM, Trimone said:

On the Cruise Critic news today it mentioned 3 months after May 17th 2021.

So Monday 9th of August 

Oh man, I'm supposed to cruise out of Miami the week prior to Monday the 9th.  I'm not holding my breath (and subsequently have not paid anymore into the cruise outside of our deposit and gratuities).

On 3/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, Sweetnspicy said:

I really think October is the month! No evidence to back up my claims but I “feel” like October has the best chance. 

We had a Mediterranean Cruise booked for October on the Jade. Canceled and rebooked for Oct 2022 on the Epic. Even if cruising starts up in summer or fall, what will the restrictions be? We don't know what Europe will be like in the fall. Just felt safe to rebook for the following year. Different ship with a slightly different itinerary and the price was only a couple hundred dollars more. Want to have a vacation without any possible restrictions.

We recently kicked the can down the road again and rebooked for a second time our PoA Sept 2021 Hawaii cruise to 2022 as a precaution for both cancellation and more so fear of restrictions and closures.  At the time it seemed like we were being overly cautions but not so much now.  Still waiting for our vaccinations and cruising again someday. 

• Like 1

We are 119 days out from our Bahama/Caribbean B2B out of Miami cruise (leaving July 2021). We are in a suite and are unable to book dining reservations. The notice says, "Not available to book."  Hmmm. My guess is that July cancellations will soon follow. Booo! 😟

• Like 2

We are  booked on Pride of America sailing on June 5, 2021.  Evidently, all June cruises are now "frozen", which seems to mean that NCL is considering canceling some, or all, of its June 2021 cruises.  Ugghhh!!

My June 2021 Bos>Bermuda on the Gem disappeared from my NCL. The only thing under "My Reservations" is this :DEFAULT ITINERARY NAME and nothing else. I hit up customer service and asked if it was cancelled and they reported this: We are working to determine our next course of action. While we evaluate the opportunity to resume with sailings, we have temporarily frozen voyages that might be impacted should we need to delay sailing further.

1 hour ago, SeaportMike said:

My June 2021 Bos>Bermuda on the Gem disappeared from my NCL. The only thing under "My Reservations" is this :DEFAULT ITINERARY NAME and nothing else. I hit up customer service and asked if it was cancelled and they reported this: We are working to determine our next course of action. While we evaluate the opportunity to resume with sailings, we have temporarily frozen voyages that might be impacted should we need to delay sailing further.

Translation: Yup!!

11 hours ago, DrBanjo said:

We are  booked on Pride of America sailing on June 5, 2021.  Evidently, all June cruises are now "frozen", which seems to mean that NCL is considering canceling some, or all, of its June 2021 cruises.  Ugghhh!!

I'm booked on her for Oct 23-30, 2021. When I booked, I was hoping that this cruise would be far enough out into 2021 (fall) and that since she never leaves U.S. waters, there would be a better chance the cruise would be a "go".

But, I'm hearing that Hawaii has some strict travel restrictions (with each island having different restrictions) and the locals are not too keen on tourists traveling in to Hawaii, let alone adding to that, traveling around the islands on a cruise ship.

June cancellations should be the last month of 0 sailings. I say "should" because you don't know what the government is going to do but...we're administering 3 million doses per day of the Covid vaccine.

As of yesterday in the United States 110 million doses of the Covid vaccine have been administered. Over 70 million people in the United States have received at least 1 dose of the vaccine and almost 40 million are fully vaccinated.

We have about 260 million adults in the United States. So we have 40 million already fully vaccinated and another 30 million that have had 1 dose. That means at 3 million doses administered per day we could have 100% of adults vaccinated in the next 137 days. That's the end of July. That puts us at around 80% of the adult population in the US fully vaccinated by July 1st. This is assuming we don't increase the number of doses administered daily.

Obviously we won't be at 80% by July 1st because there's plenty of people that don't want to be vaccinated. But, there's no reason we can't have safe cruising by July based on current numbers.

Edited by DaCruiseBug
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

June cancellations should be the last month of 0 sailings. I say "should" because you don't know what the government is going to do but...we're administering 3 million doses per day of the Covid vaccine.

As of yesterday in the United States 110 million doses of the Covid vaccine have been administered. Over 70 million people in the United States have received at least 1 dose of the vaccine and almost 40 million are fully vaccinated.

We have about 260 million adults in the United States. So we have 40 million already fully vaccinated and another 30 million that have had 1 dose. That means at 3 million doses administered per day we could have 100% of adults vaccinated in the next 137 days. That's the end of July. That puts us at around 80% of the adult population in the US fully vaccinated by July 1st. This is assuming we don't increase the number of doses administered daily.

Obviously we won't be at 80% by July 1st because there's plenty of people that don't want to be vaccinated. But, there's no reason we can't have safe cruising by July based on current numbers.

And don't forget to add in the 29,319,457 (per CDC tracker) that have had the virus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

So we have 40 million already fully vaccinated and another 30 million that have had 1 dose.

No...as of now we're administering on average 2.44 million vaccine doses per day.

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

No, as of today the CDC reports 72.1 million people have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine. The 72.1 million number includes the 40 million who are fully vaccinated . You get the numbers right in your next paragraph , but you've double counted the 40 million in this paragraph.

The data I'm citing come from the CDC via this NY Times report  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

One big thing you're ignoring is that vaccinations are not even mention in the CDC Conditional Sailing Order whose conditions have never been met by the cruise lines. Do you think that suddenly the CDC is going to drop those requirements?  While adding a vaccination requirement might get the CDC to remove or modify some of the order I doubt they're suddenly just going to throw the whole thing away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

No...as of now we're administering on average 2.44 million vaccine doses per day.

No, as of today the CDC reports 72.1 million people have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine. The 72.1 million number includes the 40 million who are fully vaccinated . You get the numbers right in your next paragraph , but you've double counted the 40 million in this paragraph.

The data I'm citing come from the CDC via this NY Times report  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

One big thing you're ignoring is that vaccinations are not even mention in the CDC Conditional Sailing Order whose conditions have never been met by the cruise lines. Do you think that suddenly the CDC is going to drop those requirements?  While adding a vaccination requirement might get the CDC to remove or modify some of the order I doubt they're suddenly just going to throw the whole thing away.

That 2.44 million is a 7 day rolling average. On Friday we administered 2.92 million and that number will keep increasing as JNJ increases their production.

https://www.afr.com/world/north-america/us-vaccinations-top-100m-bolstering-case-for-herd-immunity-20210313-p57adp#:~:text=A record 2.92 million vaccinations,Slavitt said in a tweet.

10 minutes ago, SeaportMike said:

I'm trying to go the refund route now. I have over $5000 in PCC's which I don't want. NCL told me to go pound sand, so now my State Attorney General has agreed to take my case and will fight for me. 

Keep us updated.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2021 at 4:16 AM, farmersfight said:

I'm not sure when that CDC document ends. I agree, the CDC will have to get the technical guidance out (for test cruises, etc) and ease up on those stringent requirements. 

The CDC Framework for Conditional Sailing document ends November 1, 2021. Best I can tell, the technical sheet for passengers has not yet been published (if it has, can someone please link?). The missing technical sheet is referenced 42 times throughout the Conditional Sailing document. Without the technical sheet, I don't believe that the cruise lines can meet the CDC requirements (and have my doubts whether or not the cruise lines can meet the stipulations at all).

As you can see in the one example below (and there are many examples), how can cruise lines make a plan for evacuating passengers without knowing what in the "accordance of the technical sheet" is?

As I said when the Conditions to Sail was published, it more closely resembles an extension of the "No Sail" order. IMO; the order needs to expire or be seriously modified before cruise ships can sail from the USA. That is why I've said Q421 (broad range). If I was to guess more specifically, I'd say November for test cruises followed by cruise lines trying to capture some revenue generating Holiday sailings with short cruises to private islands.

Here is the order from the CDC for anyone interested.  Conditions to Sail document: CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

image.png.e8dad86e50c254b56d35304559a3eaf9.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1