UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

3 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Yes, it was the Flam train.  We pre- booked and also got a discounted fare, therefore saving a lot!   In that scenario, it was walkable to and from the port, so no risk, and we were on the same train as the P&O passengers anyway.

Yes when we did the Flam train we booked the P&O excursion at some eye watering price. The tour group was then corralled on the platform while other standard passengers bought tickets and walked onto the train. We had a couple of carriages set aside for us but, if we had known in advance, it was just a regular scheduled service and we could have booked return tickets or a fraction of the cost

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

We booked in October 2019 and thought it was a good price at the time. Just not that good😁 I'd been keeping an  occasional eye on the price, and it had been steadily climbing, but there was a significant increase after yesterdays announcement.

Avril

Even my apartment  in the Lake District went up £100 this week, so I booked it! It has a balcony overlooking a river so sounds good!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Even my apartment  in the Lake District went up £100 this week, so I booked it! It has a balcony overlooking a river so sounds good!

That sounds lovely.Where abouts is it? I did look at apartments in the Lakes but they all seemed very expensive with not many dates left free.

If you think p and o excursions are expensive you should try holland america they are truly eyewatering. Went to geiranger rib ride through hal was $150.00 each,  which at that time was £100 each. Went and booked with the geiranger agent online came to £92.00 for both of us. Went to Eidfford 2 days later there trip to the waterfall was $125 each. Booked when we got to eidfford £25 each. Have done p and o excursions and I always thought they are quite reasonable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

That sounds lovely.Where abouts is it? I did look at apartments in the Lakes but they all seemed very expensive with not many dates left free.

It’s only just in the Lakes, it’s a place called Newby Bridge which is just South of Windermere. It’s about 30 minutes from Grange over Sands which I fancy visiting 😊

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

It’s only just in the Lakes, it’s a place called Newby Bridge which is just South of Windermere. It’s about 30 minutes from Grange over Sands which I fancy visiting 😊

We have been looking in the Windermere/Kendal area but haven't booked anything yet.

8 hours ago, ann141 said:

We have been looking in the Windermere/Kendal area but haven't booked anything yet.

Hope you find something. Not sure I can mention the name but the company rhymes with bykes!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Spent many happy holidays near the south lakes in my youth. We stayed with relatives in Millom which is a Victorian iron and mining town so not scenic but it does have a long sandy beach at Haverigg. This part of the 'lakes' is worth exploring IMO. The Duddon Valley, happy picnics there. Lots of scenery and steeep passes lead westward. In a day Eskdale would be reachable and the attraction of the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway or the Lakeside railway if you like that sort of thing

• Like 3

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sounds lovely. I spent 2 evenings researching accommodation in various places around the U.K. and the family all wanted to go back to a Westward Ho! so I’ve booked there again for the last week in September. Today I’m hoping to book 3 nights on the Isle of Wight in June (when we should have been on a cruise) for my husband and me, probably just a caravan or lodge.

• Like 2

Morning, not been around for a while. But back on furlough as bookings in Business Travel have got worse. Leisure bookings may be rising with the prospect of the relaxation of lockdown rules, but business travel is still in the doldrums. So got myself another job to supplement the loss of salary I've had to prop up from savings for the last 11 months.

As for staycations, we've just had confirmation that a lodge we have booked in April in Bowness will be available as the park will reopen on 12th April. A transatlantic crossing we had booked for Oct 2021, has been cancelled and the package holiday company let us transfer a 7 day Spanish holiday from April to October for no extra fee (in fact it was cheaper!).

As for a round Britain sailing, depending on price, we'd consider one as we're both waiting for our 2nd vaccination which will be done by May.

2021 hasn't started too well for us as, in addition to being placed on furlough again we had to say goodbye to our beloved cat Charlie after 14 years. He took ill after Christmas and was suspected to be suffering from intestinal lymphoma and lost weight dramatically as he stopped eating. He could not tolerate investigative surgery as he had heart and kidney issues.

38EE487B-09A6-4CC2-A862-7A72CE4477EE.jpeg

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 17

17 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Morning, not been around for a while. But back on furlough as bookings in Business Travel have got worse. Leisure bookings may be rising with the prospect of the relaxation of lockdown rules, but business travel is still in the doldrums. So got myself another job to supplement the loss of salary I've had to prop up from savings for the last 11 months.

As for staycations, we've just had confirmation that a lodge we have booked in April in Bowness will be available as the park will reopen on 12th April. A transatlantic crossing we had booked for Oct 2021, has been cancelled and the package holiday company let us transfer a 7 day Spanish holiday from April to October for no extra fee (in fact it was cheaper!).

As for a round Britain sailing, depending on price, we'd consider one as we're both waiting for our 2nd vaccination which will be done by May.

2021 hasn't started too well for us as, in addition to being placed on furlough again we had to say goodbye to our beloved cat Charlie after 14 years. He took ill after Christmas and was suspected to be suffering from intestinal lymphoma and lost weight dramatically as he stopped eating. He could not tolerate investigative surgery as he had heart and kidney issues.

Aw so sorry. RIP Charlie. What a handsome boy he was. May see you on a round Britain. Good luck and best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 3

Oh, bless Charlie.  What a beauty.  We had one who looked very like him, called Watson.  I’ve also lost Siamese to lymphoma.  Horrible thing.  We are  privileged to be able to help them depart without suffering x

It’s nice to see you back

Still difficult times, though,as we keep saying, there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel - we just don’t know how long the tunnel is going to prove to be

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Sorry to hear about your cat Charlie, he looks lovely. 
I recognise your name, were you booked (as we were) on Oasis Transatlantic in April 2019 that was cancelled because of the crane incident? 
I think I have read some of your blogs as well that were great 

Michelle

33 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear about your cat Charlie, he looks lovely. 
I recognise your name, were you booked (as we were) on Oasis Transatlantic in April 2019 that was cancelled because of the crane incident? 
I think I have read some of your blogs as well that were great 

Michelle

Yes we were booked on that TA that never happened! Seems all our last TA's haven't gone ahead. There was Oasis in 2019, Britannia nearly 12 months ago in 2020 due to this pandemic and our upcoming RCI Anthem Oct 2021, again due to CDC rules and Canada not accepting cruise ships until 2022 at the earliest (it had a stop in St John). One day we'll do another TA, hopefully

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your cat.

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

So sorry to hear about Charlie. He was a beautiul cat, and 14 was a very good age.

I'm pleased you've found some work to keep those coffers topped up, and hopefully it won't be much longer before the travel industry recovers. Take care.

Avril

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

So sorry to hear about Charlie.

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Spent many happy holidays near the south lakes in my youth. We stayed with relatives in Millom which is a Victorian iron and mining town so not scenic but it does have a long sandy beach at Haverigg. This part of the 'lakes' is worth exploring IMO. The Duddon Valley, happy picnics there. Lots of scenery and steeep passes lead westward. In a day Eskdale would be reachable and the attraction of the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway or the Lakeside railway if you like that sort of thing

We do like a steam train ride!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Sounds lovely. I spent 2 evenings researching accommodation in various places around the U.K. and the family all wanted to go back to a Westward Ho! so I’ve booked there again for the last week in September. Today I’m hoping to book 3 nights on the Isle of Wight in June (when we should have been on a cruise) for my husband and me, probably just a caravan or lodge.

They must have enjoyed your last visit !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Westward Ho!....spent many a happy time there at Beachside....would go back again but unfortunately my husband can't drive that far now and the nearest train station is Barnstaple :classic_sad:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janny444 said:

Westward Ho!....spent many a happy time there at Beachside....would go back again but unfortunately my husband can't drive that far now and the nearest train station is Barnstaple :classic_sad:

We love it there and have been every year since 2017, just with a different combination of offspring each time 😊 Next year we will go with all 3 grown up children, son in law and grandson.

I’ve  also just booked 4 nights in a holiday park on the Isle of Wight for me and hubby, 4 nights was cheaper than 3 and the accommodation has a hot tub. 2 nice trips to look forward to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We love it there and have been every year since 2017, just with a different combination of offspring each time 😊 Next year we will go with all 3 grown up children, son in law and grandson.

I’ve  also just booked 4 nights in a holiday park on the Isle of Wight for me and hubby, 4 nights was cheaper than 3 and the accommodation has a hot tub. 2 nice trips to look forward to. 

That sounds nice, never been to Westward Ho. We are going to Isle of Wight too with daughter & grandchildren, got a hot tub too so everyone is happy. Just booked my ferry crossings this week 

Michelle 

• Like 2