UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

10 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

We are booked on the October half term cruise on Iona which we are praying goes ahead as this is the one my kids have been going on about for a very long time!
We don’t mind where it goes just as long as we are onboard.

We have just had our Azura Greece cruise cancelled which we were expecting and like you we are considering a short one - just for the kids really so we will keep our eyes glued to what P&O, Princess and maybe Cunard announce. I expect them to be busy with families - if they allow us who have only had one of the vaccinations onboard.

I think you're right in that all lines will be busy with families and, as I said previously,  it's not really my cup of tea but the girls will be looking on all sites on a daily basis until something is announced! It will be a bit of an adventure when to go, on what ship, what cabin etc. My preference is definitely the October half- term but they would like to go sooner. I would only do a 7 day though. How about you? Jane.x

3 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I'm not sure that P and O will make their mini cruises super cheap as lots of people just want to get on board a ship and people have got OBC to use up.When P and O cancelled the Dubai season for Oceana and put the cruises  at really cheap prices the cabins went very quickly.I would only be interested if a balcony cabin was £50pppn and then only if Britannia or Aurora.I also think they will probably only start with one ship to see how things go.If Saga did similar I would be interested or possibly one of the new Fred Olsen ships from Liverpool but that would mainly be to see if I liked the Saga or FO experience

Taking QE as a comparison, the 3 night tester cruise we were supposed to go on this month was £285 each for a BE grade cabin - Deck 5 forward. So £95 per night. I would expect to pay less on P&O but maybe not as the new cruises will be in high season. Hope that helps

Cathy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I think you're right in that all lines will be busy with families and, as I said previously,  it's not really my cup of tea but the girls will be looking on all sites on a daily basis until something is announced! It will be a bit of an adventure when to go, on what ship, what cabin etc. My preference is definitely the October half- term but they would like to go sooner. I would only do a 7 day though. How about you? Jane.x

If the girls find out anything can you please post it on here please as I’m desperate to find out. We will probably now only do a 3 nighter as we had already made the decision to put the money towards a new bathroom. I would rather be spending it on a cruise though! 

2 hours ago, janny444 said:

We have a balcony cabin booked on Iona in October....£80pppn....we also have 2 cruises ...booked at launch... next year....balcony cabins ...£100pppn....all 3 select fare so to be tempted to cruise going nowhere .....with " uncomfortable " restrictions possibly in place the price would have to be considerably less than £100pppn for me to even give them more than a glance

Yes with C-19 lurking over the cruise industry, balcony cabins will be at a premium price, as the prospect of being locked-down in an inside cabin for 5 to 10 days is unpleasant.

Our (now dead) August '21 Arcadia 3 weeker from Southampton/Iceland balcony was £143 pppn, a 2 weeker Southampton/Iceland on Arcadia in July '22 will be £198 pppn for a balcony ...... no thanks !!

Mustn't be too grumpy as our deposit of £345 has skyrocketed by 25% as a FCC, so your Iona balcony bookings next year at £100 pppn, is tempting. Thanks, I'll take a look.

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

You know me so well... 

More expertise on a bacon butty than banks in the Solent I'm afraid... 🥓😊

Andy 

Brown bread or white? Or a roll? Serious question, not jesting...

4 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yes with C-19 lurking over the cruise industry, balcony cabins will be at a premium price, as the prospect of being locked-down in an inside cabin for 5 to 10 days is unpleasant.

Our (now dead) August '21 Arcadia 3 weeker from Southampton/Iceland balcony was £143 pppn, a 2 weeker Southampton/Iceland on Arcadia in July '22 will be £198 pppn for a balcony ...... no thanks !!

Mustn't be too grumpy as our deposit of £345 has skyrocketed by 25% as a FCC, so your Iona balcony bookings next year at £100 pppn, is tempting. Thanks, I'll take a look.

Hi....just to clarify....Iona is this October and next year's cruises are on Britannia & Ventura ....all booked at launch so I would think the price has gone up considerably

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Supply and demand will bring prices down for the around Britain cruises on Princess,P&O and possibly RCG especially with social distancing,mask wearing etc too.

Ultimately it will, but it will be interesting to see how they all price them initially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Supply and demand will bring prices down for the around Britain cruises on Princess,P&O and possibly RCG especially with social distancing,mask wearing etc too.

For cruises after 21 June, people might be thinking there will be no social distancing rules/restrictions to have to follow... ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I do prefer white rolls but as I only buy brown rolls normally, I take whatever is is in the freezer.

Just wondering what was best with bacon though, as Andy has expertise. I am seriously not jesting here as I have a decision to make for an event. Sorry to be digressing from cruising though.

Edited by Scriv

4 minutes ago, Scriv said:

Just wondering what was best with bacon though, as Andy has expertise. I am seriously not jesting here as I have a decision to make for an event. Sorry to be digressing from cruising though.

Bacon or sausage sarnies, really you can't go wrong with white baps, but you could have a few brown ones tucked away just in case you get an awkward beggar.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Scriv said:

For cruises after 21 June, people might be thinking there will be no social distancing rules/restrictions to have to follow... ?

It would be good if that was the case but I suspect cruiselines might be reluctant or not allowed to relax these rules.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

If the girls find out anything can you please post it on here please as I’m desperate to find out. We will probably now only do a 3 nighter as we had already made the decision to put the money towards a new bathroom. I would rather be spending it on a cruise though! 

Of course I will.  My girls are like dogs with bones if a cruise is the reward! Fingers crossed it's soon. Jane.x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Scriv said:

Always happy to assist with the progress of mankind through scientific research.   White bread please🤣

1 hour ago, crazy cat lady 83 said:

Princess will also be releasing some mini cruises to replace some of the cruises they have cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Scriv said:

I think there will almost certainly still be social distancing and mask wearing after 21st June, both on land, and at sea, if cruises are able to start up again.

Much of the population will still be only partially vaccinated, and we will have to be on our guard against variants of the virus.

I was reading about Brazil. They are having a terrible time with their variant, which is believed to be more transmissible and vaccine resistant. We will have to be on our guard for the foreseeable future.

I think it would be helpful if the government managed people’s expectations in this respect, as there are people who genuinely think it’s going to be all over on 21st June. 

• Like 4

Guernsey won't be on any itinerary as they are not accepting cruise calls for the 2021 season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The decision was taken yesterday by Guernsey’s Committee for Economic Development.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Guernsey won't be on any itinerary as they are not accepting cruise calls for the 2021 season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The decision was taken yesterday by Guernsey’s Committee for Economic Development.

There will not be any itinerary it will be just leave Southampton and sail on the ocean wavs for 3,4 or 7 nights and then sail back to Southampton.

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I'm not sure that P and O will make their mini cruises super cheap as lots of people just want to get on board a ship and people have got OBC to use up.When P and O cancelled the Dubai season for Oceana and put the cruises  at really cheap prices the cabins went very quickly.I would only be interested if a balcony cabin was £50pppn and then only if Britannia or Aurora.I also think they will probably only start with one ship to see how things go.If Saga did similar I would be interested or possibly one of the new Fred Olsen ships from Liverpool but that would mainly be to see if I liked the Saga or FO experience

Fred will have to follow and as we are only 20 mins from Liverpool, would make it easy and could also make sure we keep well away from other people for about a week before, hence highly unlikely to be confined to a cabin onboard.

Fred's prices have not been cheap, but as we are much more likely to find space on deck I would consider a non balcony cabin.  No travel, parking or hotel costs needed for us from Liverpool, which makes a big difference, especially for a short cruise.  Also Fred is used to scenic cruising in Scotland, so will find something to view, and in the summer there are likely to be lots of birds around in those locations.  We would take the binoculars though.

We have found Fred's crew far better than P&O and food a lot better in recent years, but not sure we will do a lot more if his prices remain high.  His cruise prices have always been high at launch though, yet we have had some good reduced Freedom Fares within a year of the cruise date. We intend to try one of the larger P&O ships for about a week but would only consider a balcony for that.  The destinations are what we cruise for and sadly that is what P&O are very poor with.  Will be interesting to try that Princess cruise as they seem to have some good itineraries.  HAL looks promising as well.  

Generally we are becoming resigned to the occasional expedition cruise being of any big appeal to us, though our land holidays have also been very good in recent years as I have planned the destinations carefully and included a few in one holiday.  All our travel this year is dependent upon decent priced insurance, which we will need to explore due to health issues.

Hope to meet you in October on Sky Princess,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

Wow, just had an email from P&O saying they have refunded the shore excursions back to the card for our July cruise on Iona. It was only cancelled yesterday! Well impressed. Only the deposit now but that will come by cheque.

• Like 2