UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

I can only assume that the requirement to stay in UK territorial waters refers to where the ship docks, and which protocols are followed if there is a Covid-19 outbreak on board.

It does seem odd to me why there are no ports - that will put off a lot of passengers, including the "seasoned" group.

A 2-3 night sail around Southampton/Cornwall will just turn in to a booze cruise, particularly if it rains.  Maybe this the strategy, drink more (will have to be an awful lot to take out the excursions income).

You'd also think, from marketing perspective, that they would pull these new cruise itineraries forwards.  Now they have thousands of passengers thinking what to do - refund or rebook to an expensive international cruise...or wait until 2023 for an unknown list of cruises...

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

I wonder if P and O may start with a couple of short breaks  staying on the ship in Southampton and offering excursions from there- Winchester, New Forest etc .More like a hotel?That would perhaps explain the wording.

Staying on the ship sound ok . Living an hour from Southampton, I may pass on the excursions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Surely a hotel, or even self-catered,  stay in the UK is a nicer prospect for most people?  Chose your location and activity - city break, pamper deal, seaside, rural retreat, Warner’s, whatever.

I simply can’t fancy 5, 6 or 7 x 24 hours aboard in UK waters with UK weather (and UK alcohol duty on bar sales?) - and with lots and lots of other passengers

The freedom of a hotel is more attractive to me

• Like 11

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

John, they have already said that Iona won't be cruising until October.

My understanding is that scheduled itineraries are cancelled to end August or September, these tester cruises are yet to be revealed.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I Agree.

15 miles to North Shields.

350 miles to Southampton.

Graham. I don't.

50 miles to Southampton

315 miles to Norths shields.

60 miles to Northampton if that helps🤣

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Surely a hotel, or even self-catered,  stay in the UK is a nicer prospect for most people?  Chose your location and activity - city break, pamper deal, seaside, rural retreat, Warner’s, whatever.

I simply can’t fancy 5, 6 or 7 x 24 hours aboard in UK waters with UK weather (and UK alcohol duty on bar sales?) - and with lots and lots of other passengers

the beauty of people enjoying different things. For me, 7 days at sea would be a decadent luxury that I would leap at like a lioness onto a gazelle.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Graham. I don't.

50 miles to Southampton

315 miles to Norths shields.

60 miles to Northampton if that helps🤣

Last time for Explorer of the Seas October 2019 I drove and did a stay and cruise with taxi transfer at the Mere Valley hotel.

Most times we flew down from Newcastle with Flybe.

Just now, ToxM said:

the beauty of people enjoying different things. For me, 7 days at sea would be a decadent luxury that I would leap at like a lioness onto a gazelle.

I love sea days on a “proper” cruise

Have done TAs & repositioning cruises with stretches of 6 consecutive sea days

but

warm/hot weather and no restrictions aboard

The restrictions we’ve already heard about make the prospect something other than decadent luxury - to me

It will be good for the company if enough people fancy it, so I welcome it in that respect - “keeping ships warm” for when/if I’m back on board

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I guess we are all still wondering. I was having a look round the internet this morning for the med. RCI and NCL still have cruises on sale and may still sail this summer.

I've just checked the total cost of our 19 night cruise in October.  It has increased from our booked cost of £2,702 to the princely sum of £5,558.😲 Time for a brandy me thinks.

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I love sea days on a “proper” cruise

Have done TAs & repositioning cruises with stretches of 6 consecutive sea days

but

warm/hot weather and no restrictions aboard

The restrictions we’ve already heard about make the prospect something other than decadent luxury - to me

It will be good for the company if enough people fancy it, so I welcome it in that respect - “keeping ships warm” for when/if I’m back on board

i think it’s as much about running the crew and ship up to speed gradually as opposed to straight into the planned itins, which would probably be disastrous on many levels.

passengers on these cruises need to know they are part of a shakedown exercise.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Thats pretty much our view. I am baffled by those who say “well it’s better than staying at home”, as if the only two choices are cruising to nowhere or staying at home. Very odd. Perhaps we are revolutionaries in daring to consider that you can have very enjoyable holidays other than on cruise ships 😉 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just checked the total cost of our 19 night cruise in October.  It has increased from our booked cost of £2,702 to the princely sum of £5,558.😲 Time for a brandy me thinks.

Avril

Hopefully the cruise will still go.  You can congratulate yourselves that booking early got you a flippin' great deal and have another brandy when you get on board!

• Haha 1

Well, at the risk of upsetting everyone, we had an email this am about cancellation of our May 2021 Iona cruise, which was already a rebooking of an earlier cancellation.I spent a happy had hour getting through to P&O on the phone.  I was able to book a replacement May 2022 Iona cruise in a cabin two doors down the corridor.  It turned out to be £190 cheaper than the booking it replaced, with n extra £10 cabin credit. I had only previously paid a small deposit. They also took my not yet available FCC from this deposit as deposit for the new booking and said I would get the 125% credit.  So overall I am about £250 ahead on the deal and well pleased. I can understand others may not be so happy.

Will cruising be back by next May?!? 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, ToxM said:

P&O are shooting themselves in the foot at this point with their prices. I understand supply and demand, but when 2 weeks in an inside is less than a 6 star line, there is something wrong with your algorithm.

Ok cruise lines have taken a hit over the last 18 months, I'd have thought they would attempt to recoup these losses over say, a 3 year period ...

Another reason for the price hike may be the 125% bonus on previous bookings via a FCC. I was gutted when my TA emailed me the news of our August J112 Iceland/Norway Arcadia cancellation from Southampton. A bargain 23 nights at £3299pp balcony = £143 pp per night.

The closest P&O can offer next year is J212 it's £2799pp for balcony but it's only 14 nights (missing 6 Norway ports) but the cost is £198 pp per night, an increase of 40% pp per night. Sadly (or happily) we haven't paid the balance so the 125% only valid against our (£345) deposit. It's only worth about £86. I'll leave the deposit with the TA, so our next Iceland/Norway cruise, doesn't need to be with P&0.

UK cruises to go on sale later this month

MIAMI, March 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- P&O Cruises will offer a series of short break and week-long UK cruises as "the ultimate escape" staycation this summer. The cruises will go on sale later in March.

P&O Cruises president Paul Ludlow said: "Following recent Government announcements and as the vaccine programme is rolled out across the globe we can all begin to feel a sense of reassurance and hope that this current lockdown period in the UK will come to an end. Life can, we hope, slowly return to some semblance of our previous normality as hospitality opens up and summer holidays can be booked with confidence.

"Whilst holidays here in the UK will be the first to become a reality we will, of course, gradually see the return of international travel but first we want guests to be able to enjoy a proper summer holiday at sea with the best in relaxation, entertainment and dining choice.

"These sailings will leave from our home port in Southampton and sail around UK coastal waters enjoying the summer sunshine. More details of dates, prices and the experience on board will be announced later this month, but they will, of course, all have flexibility so guests can book with confidence.

"We hope that the UK "ultimate escape" staycation option will have wide appeal and we will do our utmost to make it a very special time. There really will be something for everyone and the opportunity to spend precious and much-longed for time with family and friends.

"In order to offer these UK breaks it does mean that unfortunately we need to cancel some of our current published programme of holidays this summer. Cruises on Arcadia, Aurora, Azura and Ventura have been cancelled until the end of August and on Britannia and Iona until the end of September.

"We remain in very close contact with the UK Government and associated bodies as we monitor the latest situation and guidance on travel. From the moment we see travel restrictions lifting we will begin the significant logistical task to re-start our operations. It will take some time for the first ship to return to service, followed by the phased return of the remaining fleet. We cannot wait to welcome everyone back on board with the protection of effective protocols to safeguard the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests.

"I really am so sorry for the disappointment these cancellations will cause but hope that the new UK cruises will enable everyone to enjoy a wonderful holiday this summer."

All guests whose cruises have been cancelled will automatically receive a Future Cruise Credit worth 125% of what they paid. This 125% Future Cruise Credit can be redeemed against any new booking made by the end of December 2021, on any cruise on sale at the time of booking.

Alternatively, 100% refund is available through the form on www.pocruises.com and may be requested until December 2021.

About P&O Cruises
P&O Cruises is Britain's favourite cruise line, welcoming guests to experience holidays with a blend of discovery, choice, relaxation and exceptional service catered towards British tastes. P&O Cruises fleet of premium ships combine genuine service, a sense of occasion and attention to detail.

In 2021, P&O Cruises will launch Iona its first Excel class ship. The new LNG-powered ship, with 5,200-guest capacity, will be the largest ship built to serve the UK market. Iona will feature enhancements to already successful brand signature venues from the existing fleet, as well as features newly developed for Iona.

P&O Cruises second LNG-powered Excel class ship and sister ship to Iona is named Arvia, meaning from the seashore, and will join the fleet in December 2022. Arvia is an innovative and future-focused ship and will offer outstanding, varied and contemporary holidays. Arvia has been designed to travel to the sun all year-round and to maximise views of the ocean and the seashore from everywhere on board.

With over 200 destinations worldwide, P&O Cruises Itineraries are carefully curated to inspire discovery, and are varied to suit newcomers and experienced guests alike. With a wide choice of holidays from two days to three months there is something for everyone. P&O Cruises sails to Australia & New Zealand, Baltic, the British Isles, Canada, the Spain, Portugal & the Canary Islands, the Caribbean, Central America, the Far East & Asia, the Indian Ocean, the Mediterranean, Scandinavia, South America, the South Pacific, the United States and Western Europe.

The company is part of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE:CUK).

For further images visit: https://www.pocruisespresspictures.com/

*Holidays which will be cancelled due to current guidance are detailed below

Ship Cruise Departure date Destination Nts
Arcadia J105 20-May-21 Western Mediterranean 18
J106 07-Jun-21 Cruise Break 4
J107 11-Jun-21 Iceland 14
J108 25-Jun-21 Norway Fjord 12
J109 07-Jul-21 Cruise Break 4
J110 11-Jul-21 Norway Fjord 12
J111 23-Jul-21 British Isles 12
J112 04-Aug-21 Arctic Circle 23
J113 27-Aug-21 Central Mediterranean 19
Aurora R105 24-Apr-21 Southern Cruise Break 7
R106 01-May-21 Central Mediterranean 19
R107 20-May-21 Baltic 16
R108 05-Jun-21 Norway Fjord 12
R109 17-Jun-21 Central Mediterranean 19
R110 06-Jul-21 Iceland 14
R111 20-Jul-21 Baltic 16
R112 05-Aug-21 Norway Fjord 12
R113 17-Aug-21 Baltic 16

Azura A109 29-Apr-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A109A 29-Apr-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A109B 06-May-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A109C 06-May-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A110 13-May-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A110A 13-May-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A110B 20-May-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A110C 20-May-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A111 27-May-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A111A 27-May-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A111B 03-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A111C 03-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A112 10-Jun-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A112A 10-Jun-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A112B 17-Jun-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A112C 17-Jun-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A113 24-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A113A 24-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A113B 01-Jul-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A113C 01-Jul-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A114 08-Jul-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A114A 08-Jul-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A114B 15-Jul-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A114C 15-Jul-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A115 22-Jul-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A115A 22-Jul-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A115B 29-Jul-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A115C 29-Jul-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A116 05-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A116A 05-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A116B 12-Aug-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A116C 12-Aug-21 Eastern Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A117 19-Aug-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
A117A 19-Aug-21 Central Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A117B 26-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 7
A117C 26-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean (Med Fly) 14
Britannia B111 25-Apr-21 Atlantic Coast 13
B112 08-May-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B113 22-May-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B114 05-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B115 19-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B116 03-Jul-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B117 17-Jul-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B118 31-Jul-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B119 14-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B120 28-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean 14
B121 11-Sep-21 Western Mediterranean 14

Iona G111 24-Apr-21 Norway Fjord 7
G112 01-May-21 Norway Fjord 7
G113 08-May-21 Norway Fjord 7
G114 15-May-21 Norway Fjord 7
G115 22-May-21 Norway Fjord 7
G116 29-May-21 Norway Fjord 7
G117 05-Jun-21 Norway Fjord 7
G118 12-Jun-21 Norway Fjord 7
G119 19-Jun-21 Norway Fjord 7
G120 26-Jun-21 Norway Fjord 7
G121 03-Jul-21 Norway Fjord 7
G122 10-Jul-21 Norway Fjord 7
G123 17-Jul-21 Norway Fjord 7
G124 24-Jul-21 Norway Fjord 7
G125 31-Jul-21 Norway Fjord 7
G126 07-Aug-21 Norway Fjord 7
G127 14-Aug-21 Norway Fjord 7
G128 21-Aug-21 Norway Fjord 7
G129 28-Aug-21 Norway Fjord 7
G130 04-Sep-21 Norway Fjord 7
G131 11-Sep-21 Norway Fjord 7
G132 18-Sep-21 Norway Fjord 7
Ventura N108 30-Apr-21 Short Break (Round Trip) 2
N109 02-May-21 Western Mediterranean 14
N110 16-May-21 Baltic 14
N111 30-May-21 Western Mediterranean 14
N112 13-Jun-21 Baltic 14
N113 27-Jun-21 Western Mediterranean 14
N114 11-Jul-21 Baltic 14
N115 25-Jul-21 Western Mediterranean 14
N116 08-Aug-21 Baltic 14
N117 22-Aug-21 Western Mediterranean 14

3 hours ago, Lily lady said:

When are 2023 cruises released, to possibly use fcc.

When I changed my 2022 cruise on Arcadia last week, my TA said that 2023 cruises should be on sale sometime in March.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

John, they have already said that Iona won't be cruising until October.

My 25 September cruise on Iona isn''t cancelled (yet)!

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Last time for Explorer of the Seas October 2019 I drove and did a stay and cruise with taxi transfer at the Mere Valley hotel.

Most times we flew down from Newcastle with Flybe.

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Meon valley hotel. Ok, but better hotels are in the area. We like the Burley manor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Meon valley hotel. Ok, but better hotels are in the area. We like the Burley manor.

Thanks.

Meon Valley was okay but hard to find and the restaurant was in the 19th hole of the golf club.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thats pretty much our view. I am baffled by those who say “well it’s better than staying at home”, as if the only two choices are cruising to nowhere or staying at home. Very odd. Perhaps we are revolutionaries in daring to consider that you can have very enjoyable holidays other than on cruise ships 😉 

No need to stay at home. We have 2 holidays booked in Cornwall and Dorset . A holiday in Menorca also. All for this year. We like cruise holidays, but not to the exclusion of other types. P&O are not the only option. Plenty of others who may may still sail. A fly cruise to the med perhaps.

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If there are NO stops,  WHY NOT SAIL SOUTH, THE MED 

You wouldn't be able to get to the med and back in 7 days, so would mean nearly half your cruise would be through the bay of Biscay. Probably safer round the Isle of Wight.

• Like 3

When Cunard launched their tester restart cruises ( now cancelled) we booked the first one which was 3 nights sailing around the Scillies and back along the Jurassic Coast. I expect P&O will start with the same so we will book one as we think that the scenery could be quite interesting. 

Cathy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You wouldn't be able to get to the med and back in 7 days, so would mean nearly half your cruise would be through the bay of Biscay. Probably safer round the Isle of Wight.

As our Government don't rule the world, how about a cruise down to the med and fly home from, say Barcelona. Return from Barcelona, or somewhere else. Majorca are crying out for Brits to be allowed.