UK staycation cruise details launched

Adam Coulter

6 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

When Cunard launched their tester restart cruises ( now cancelled) we booked the first one which was 3 nights sailing around the Scillies and back along the Jurassic Coast. I expect P&O will start with the same so we will book one as we think that the scenery could be quite interesting. 

Cathy

That would sound like a lovely cruise. I’m hoping they would offer something like that in the school holidays as we would be very keen.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As our Government don't rule the world, how about a cruise down to the med and fly home from, say Barcelona. Return from Barcelona, or somewhere else. Majorca are crying out for Brits to be allowed.

If Spain create a green corridor like they are proposing for vaccinated Brits that could be a possibility. We cruised from Southampton to the Med and flew back from Malaga with Thompsons once, there was an option to stay for an extra week.

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If Spain create a green corridor like they are proposing for vaccinated Brits that could be a possibility. We cruised from Southampton to the Med and flew back from Malaga with Thompsons once, there was an option to stay for an extra week.

I'm sure that the uncertainty being over is helpful to a great many folk. If their competitors don't cancel and cruising starts up again late summer, they might have a bit of egg on face. If the 7 day UK only cruises are not a legal requirement, I guess a plan B may be on their agenda.

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As our Government don't rule the world, how about a cruise down to the med and fly home from, say Barcelona. Return from Barcelona, or somewhere else. Majorca are crying out for Brits to be allowed.

because that would involve flying and/or extra testing/possible quarantine at home which negates the point of having a sealed all sea day cruise, also, what’s,the ship going to do when all the passengers have disembarked somewhere other than the UK? The logistics of cross border travel is too restrictive at the moment.

13 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

That’s the start of only allowing vaccinated people to travel (something I think will become the norm, and I approve of). Expect lots of antivaxxers to be shouting at this. 

Yet they happily get vaccinated if they want to go to a country with yellow fever, or they don’t go at all, well the limitations just got a lot wider. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ToxM said:

because that would involve flying and/or extra testing/possible quarantine at home which negates the point of having a sealed all sea day cruise, also, what’s,the ship going to do when all the passengers have disembarked somewhere other than the UK? The logistics of cross border travel is too restrictive at the moment.

We may have vaccine passports by summer and " at the moment " may change. Once international travel starts again in a few months quarantine may be only a memory. The ship will come back with all the folk who flew out to the med. We won't know till the committee report back in April.

Edited by zap99

I may have missed it in the deluge of comments today - but I am not entirely clear whether the 25% FCC is 25% of the total price of the cruise that P&O have now cancelled, or 25% of the amount paid to date i.e the 5% deposit. If the latter then it is hardly worth worrying about, but if the former then that's over a grand in our case which I assume can be used to book one of the trips round the UK when they come on stream?

🤪

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We may have vaccine passports by summer and " at the moment " may change. Once international travel starts again in a few months quarantine may be only a memory. The ship will come back with all the folk who flew out to the med. We won't know till the committee report back in April.

i think the all sea day trips are just shakedowns to get the crew up to speed again.

I really hope we have vaccine passports by the summer, that would make things a lot easier for everyone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pet said:

I may have missed it in the deluge of comments today - but I am not entirely clear whether the 25% FCC is 25% of the total price of the cruise that P&O have now cancelled, or 25% of the amount paid to date i.e the 5% deposit. If the latter then it is hardly worth worrying about, but if the former then that's over a grand in our case which I assume can be used to book one of the trips round the UK when they come on stream?

🤪

25% of the amount paid.

1 minute ago, ToxM said:

i think the all sea day trips are just shakedowns to get the crew up to speed again.

I really hope we have vaccine passports by the summer, that would make things a lot easier for everyone.

If I was Lord P&O and had some cruises to nowhere planned and Europe/Spain opened up I would ask my Managers why we couldn't change our non landing cruise to include Bilbao/La Corunna/Vigo.

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Surely a hotel, or even self-catered,  stay in the UK is a nicer prospect for most people?  Chose your location and activity - city break, pamper deal, seaside, rural retreat, Warner’s, whatever.

I simply can’t fancy 5, 6 or 7 x 24 hours aboard in UK waters with UK weather (and UK alcohol duty on bar sales?) - and with lots and lots of other passengers

The freedom of a hotel is more attractive to me

The drinks prices have never changed when in UK ports before only Spain that I can recall

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I guess we are all still wondering. I was having a look round the internet this morning for the med. RCI and NCL still have cruises on sale and may still sail this summer.

RCG cancelled their new ship Odyssey of the Seas home port of Rome and are using Haifa instead; but for Israelis only, due to the number of Israelis who have been vaccinated successfully. All staff and passengers will also have to be vaccinated.

I have just been sent this reply from P&O when I asked on FB if all passengers would require a vaccine before sailing on one of their ships:

”Hi Jackie, the new vaccines represent an important breakthrough for people throughout the world, including the travel, hospitality and cruise industries. We are reviewing the various vaccines, but we have not made any decisions on next steps at this point.”

As vaccines cannot be given to children under 16 at the moment, does it mean that this new sailing will be Adult Only?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pet said:

🤪

I understand it to be 25% of the amount paid to date.

2 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

RCG cancelled their new ship Odyssey of the Seas home port of Rome and are using Haifa instead; but for Israelis only, due to the number of Israelis who have been vaccinated successfully. All staff and passengers will also have to be vaccinated.

I have just been sent this reply from P&O when I asked on FB if all passengers would require a vaccine before sailing on one of their ships:

”Hi Jackie, the new vaccines represent an important breakthrough for people throughout the world, including the travel, hospitality and cruise industries. We are reviewing the various vaccines, but we have not made any decisions on next steps at this point.”

As vaccines cannot be given to children under 16 at the moment, does it mean that this new sailing will be Adult Only?

I guess the honest answer to all these questions is. '  Don't know '. The way the numbers are changing, who knows what will happen by, say July. Everyone seems to be pushing for vaccine passports, so in 4 months things could be very different.

24 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Anyone hoping Guernsey would be included in a round UK trip

will be disappointed:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5924/

You can add here 🇮🇲 to Guernsey as well we’ve just gone back into a minimum 3 week lockdown as we’ve now got 70 active cases in about a week. So our borders will be closed for a long time yet

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

How about Portsmouth calling at one port, Santander, then back to Portsmouth. You don't need to go ashore if you don't want to. You can stay on the new car ferry. No balcony cabins, but quite cheap🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

You can add here 🇮🇲 to Guernsey as well we’ve just gone back into a minimum 3 week lockdown as we’ve now got 70 active cases in about a week. So our borders will be closed for a long time yet

Shame, you were almost clear!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Yes, mine too. I was really looking forward to seeing a new country.

Avril

Me three - three cancelled that is - and yes, I am so up for wandering round and round the Isle of Wight - actually did that on P&O Arcadia a few years ago when we couldnt dock in France on a Xmas cruise - no one noticed until the next morning when it looked like we hadnt moved an inch = very funny

2 hours ago, besberry said:

When I changed my 2022 cruise on Arcadia last week, my TA said that 2023 cruises should be on sale sometime in March.

My 25 September cruise on Iona isn''t cancelled (yet)!

Probably because it's the first cruise after the Fjords cruises.

1 hour ago, Aulanis said:

Anyone hoping Guernsey would be included in a round UK trip

will be disappointed:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5924/

It has always been the case that people booking a cruise to Guernsey end up being disappointed, as around 50% of the calls there end up being cancelled due to sea conditions 😉 

Reading what has been reportedly said by Paul Ludlow the cruises will be short an up to 7 nights and in British coastal waters so there will be no other departure points around the UK and there will be no ports of call. My cruise in August on Arcadia has been cancelled which I have been expecting for some time and already asked for cash refund of my deposit as although I love sea days and dont mind a cruise with no ports of call for us where we live I dont think it is worth the travel for a short or at most 7nt cruise.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Possibly because you might still have to quarantine for 10 days when you get back.