Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

18 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

@Pink-belleI apologise if I got the tone of your post incorrect but non of our issues were caused by use arriving early. Several people from our hotel were advised to get a taxi at 10:15, we all thought it was odd but took the advise. On arrival at the port the Covid test was taken straight away they we were ask to wait in an area till 11:30, no problem as we were early. At 11:20 we were instructed to take our luggage to the luggage drops. Here the officials had no idea what to do! After a few radio messages things started to move. Back to the waiting area and then called upstairs at 11:30 and let the mayhem begin. On chatting to the “privileged” boarding group while waiting an hour and a half for the ship to be ready not one of us had shown proof of jabs or travel insurance details.

No not at all, our time was 12:30 the issue was boarding hadn’t started, so all you 11:30 people were still in the terminal, when ideally it would have been a continuous stream through. 

I know people with a later boarding time tend to hedge their  bets and arrive early hoping to embark before their time, but prepared to wait if not.  I would not do this for these cruises arriving later would actually give you a better experience, 

everything went very smoothly before arriving at Ocean , and has since we have been on the ship, that was just a blip.

what are you doing with your day, we are hitting the pool, well DH us I’m not sure it’s that warm🤣

3 minutes ago, sallybunny said:

No gin cocktail menu? One of the things I was most looking forward to was working my way through all my favourites in the Crow's Nest. I'll just have to print off a copy and order them anyway and hope for the best!

That would be a plan, I was 🤪😳🥺

17 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

It was rubbish! I was happy to have an early embarkation time, in hindsight I am hoping for 2:30 for Iona.  Will then go for a nice lunch in Southampton, then amble over for testing. 

sailaway was emotional with even the captain admitting to a tear in his eye. It was wet but not cold, so still enjoyable. 

staff on board can’t do enough for us.

drink menus are small, and shock horror no Gin cocktail menu in the Crows Nest!

although spoke to one server who said they would happily make a “Laverstoke” but might not have the correct garnish, so might try and order one later. 

Dinner in Epicurean was superb last night. We only tend to visit this restaurant for special occasions to keep it feeling special, but the half price offer tempted us. 

There was no turn down service last night, beds are still very comfortable, but didn’t expect to have a leaking shower head, as surely they would have had extensive cleaning? that should have been fixed this morning. 
it must have been very foggy last night if the fog horn was anything to go by. Woke up at  7 to glorious sunshine just off coast of Portland,  now just off Lyme Regis,

used My Holiday to book breakfast, no issue and very good. 
Attended 9am  guest lecture, and then cancelled everything else booked for the day, until the 8:30 show. 
lots of quizzes and bits added to the daily programme. So no need to be bored.  As the weather is good today going to enjoy being outside.

I think I mentioned before that I wouldn’t have “picked” our allocated room, and my fears were correct, you can smell the smoke, from Java smoking area.  Plus a bit of a knob next door who had a blue tooth speaker making us all suffer his music choice, but if course that could happen anywhere 🥴

All in all life feels pretty perfect, so glad to be onboard.  
no lift issues, 4 people allowed with fits to stand on. 
seat markings are good,to allow distancing.  

serenity is just that serene and perfect. 

I really hope people stick to the limits in the lift. The lifts on the Virtuosa were fantastic, you called them by pressing a screen with the deck number you wanted to go to, and it would tell you which lift to get into. Inside the lift were no buttons for decks. Because it was all computerised it was a) much quicker and b) meant that 9 times out of 10 we were the only people in the lift.

What a shame you have an idiot next door with no consideration for anyone else.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I really hope people stick to the limits in the lift. The lifts on the Virtuosa were fantastic, you called them by pressing a screen with the deck number you wanted to go to, and it would tell you which lift to get into. Inside the lift were no buttons for decks. Because it was all computerised it was a) much quicker and b) meant that 9 times out of 10 we were the only people in the lift.

What a shame you have an idiot next door with no consideration for anyone else.

What a fantastic idea.  In theory that would put a stop to people pressing all the buttons when they get out.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, davemorton said:

What a fantastic idea.  In theory that would put a stop to people pressing all the buttons when they get out.

It really was brilliant.

They also had a lift either side of the ship that didn't have that, and worked in the normal way. However, we forgot to press the buttons a couple of times because we'd got so used to the other lifts. Only realised when we started moving in the wrong direction. 🤣

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, amajaa said:

Also apparently sone didn’t take their passport and one lady tested positive. 

Doesn't surprise me. One person got turned away from our Baltic cruise as they'd only brought a photocopy of their passport🤦‍♀️ I think some people think that because youre leaving from Southampton it doesnt count 🤷🏻‍♀️

2 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Plus  next door who had a blue tooth speaker making us all suffer his music choice, but if course that could happen anywhere 🥴

If it continues phone reception and give them their cabin number and report the disturbance .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

You would hope, but try telling that to the woman behind me,  who insisted her sunflower lanyard meant she didn’t have to wear a mask. Despite in every email it saying Face Masks are Mandatory, NO exceptions.  She insisted this didn’t apply to her, thankfully the staff said it does, No exception is no exception.  She didn’t have a panic attack, faint and wasn’t sick as she threatened to be. 

Wow , I hope she wears one the whole cruise and doesn’t talk them into letting her not wear one. I bet she will kick up after the cruise though. If it’s states no exception and she can’t wear a mask then she shouldn’t have booked.

But where did she get her mask from if she wasn’t expecting to wear one? Hopefully she is washing or disposing of after each wearing and not wearing the same mask for the whole cruise yuk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kalos said:

If it continues phone reception and give them their cabin number and report the disturbance .

I'm wondering why they've not spaced room occupied out a little, e.g. Filling every other room . Mind you ,I guess your still hear him 

• Like 2

I’m sure P and O will have a good supply of masks precisely for this type of situation. Only problem would be those disposable masks are recommended to be replaced approx every 4 hours so that will be a lot of masks to be asking for. It’s very surprising this wasn’t challenged at check in if a mask wasn’t been worn there either rather than being left to be dealt with onboard 

1 hour ago, kevcharben said:

I thought that they would be leaving a disposable mask every evening, and a bag for the used one.

I think I saw that MSC were doing it, so assume PO would do the same.

MSC didn't do this a few weeks ago when we went,   after spending money on a cruise I would hope passengers could manage to take enough masks for a few days!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Waju said:

MSC didn't do this a few weeks ago when we went,   after spending money on a cruise I would hope passengers could manage to take enough masks for a few days!

The Noticeable and unhygienic thing I noticed that a lot of  passengers on Virtuosa were doing ,  as they sat down at a table they would remove their mask and place it on the table instead of placing it their pocket.  They would later move away from that table and other guests would rush to that table before it had been sanitized and do the same thing.  You would not place a handkerchief on a table so why a face mask ? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

The Noticeable and unhygienic thing I noticed that a lot of  passengers on Virtuosa were doing ,  as they sat down at a table they would remove their mask and place it on the table instead of placing it their pocket.  They would later move away from that table and other guests would rush to that table before it had been sanitized and do the same thing.  You would not place a handkerchief on a table so why a face mask ? 

I suppose a packet of detol wipes and then wipe down table and chairs yourself is probably the answer, but agree some people just don’t think!

4 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Yes, you're so right but I have to confess I'm guilty of that - I never gave it a thought.

20 hours ago, amajaa said:

Wow , I hope she wears one the whole cruise and doesn’t talk them into letting her not wear one. I bet she will kick up after the cruise though. If it’s states no exception and she can’t wear a mask then she shouldn’t have booked.

But where did she get her mask from if she wasn’t expecting to wear one? Hopefully she is washing or disposing of after each wearing and not wearing the same mask for the whole cruise yuk

I have seen her around ship, each time wearing a mask. The disposable type.  I hope it’s not the same one she was given in the terminal 😳

there were no masks supplied in the cabins, and I haven’t been in the shops, but I’m guessing you must be able to get them if needed. 

just a tip, we use reusable masks, and I wanted to bring “enough”  ordered some very nice ones from Etsy, but as a back up went to Primark. £2:50 for 2, both DH and I find them very comfortable. 

I would say most people and I really mean almost everybody I have witnessed has complied with the all the rules. It feels safe on board.  There are a group of 6 people that are not complying moving furniture and taking masks off during the shows.  But they also are the group producing bottles of wine from their bags to drink around the pool, they are just “that” type! 😏

I’ve not been near Brodie’s so can’t say what is happening there. 

I have an appointment at 4pm with loyalty sales, sad to say I may cancel my Iona seacation.  Going to see what information they can provide. 
the restrictive cocktail menu and lack of turn down service, have shown me what I really enjoy about cruising.  I would actually be okay with a once a day visit from the steward, but would have liked a choice, as I would prefer my room to be serviced in the evening when I am at dinner. Asking for simple things and being told it’s “because of Corona” is wearing thin. 
shower still not fixed as they are waiting for a part! Goodness knows where from as it “might” happen today. (Shower works but more water comes from the inlet rather that the head, and drips continuously) 

we are midship F deck, you can’t walk between midship and aft lifts on this deck could that be isolation area? Unsure no one is free with that info.

It’s really not meant to read as a negative, as a 4 night break it’s brilliant, I’m very grateful to be here, but it’s not the P&O experience I am used to. I am okay with this for 4 days. 7 nights not so much. 

I like the “booking” system it doesn’t always work but with numbers so low that’s not really an issue, it has potential,

at lunch today we had carnival IT, on the table next to us, he was explaining to P&O staff he needs to be on land to initiate some of the required changes. Weirdly enough you can’t actually “book” on the app at present. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lynn2002 said:

Does the mobile app allow you to communicate with others in your cabin like the Princess and Holland America apps do?

I never had trust in all those apps. I am an old school person. I feel more confident walking into a reception or captains office to settle things down. I mean the app is a good addition to an old school walking practise but I still find it more reliable to have a face to face conversation in case of any problems 

23 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I never had trust in all those apps. I am an old school person. I feel more confident walking into a reception or captains office to settle things down. I mean the app is a good addition to an old school walking practise but I still find it more reliable to have a face to face conversation in case of any problems 

Didn't realise pax could just stroll onto the bridge to speak with the skipper. 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 6