Want to cruise in July 2021? Let your voice be heard.

HBCcruiser

I should take a picture of a mall here where Hobby Lobby is. There are 100's of high school kids hanging out every night in the parking lots. This is completely ridiculous. When this hit, the goal was to not exceed 15% of hospital beds with Covid patients. The entire US has met that goal and much, much less. There is a kangaroo court running this.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sugcarol said:

I should take a picture of a mall here where Hobby Lobby is. There are 100's of high school kids hanging out every night in the parking lots. This is completely ridiculous. When this hit, the goal was to not exceed 15% of hospital beds with Covid patients. The entire US has met that goal and much, much less. There is a kangaroo court running this.

Yesterday (March 26), 75,000 new cases, 1,260 new deaths.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

And?  Businesses are back open, restaurants are open, hotels are open, resorts are open.  Sporting events are going to begin to allow fans to attend, both outdoor and indoor.  I don’t see a correlation between 75,000 new cases and 1,260 new deaths to allowing cruise lines to safely begin cruises again with mandatory proof of vaccination for passengers and crew, proof of negative tests prior to sailing, partial capacity sailings, and allowing only US citizens to board ships embarking/disembarking from US ports.

As I was driving through DC yesterday, I’d estimate roughly 1/3 of the people walking around were not wearing masks.  We are going to continue to have new cases and deaths, but it seems like the cruise industry is the only industry shut down.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Do you know how many deaths are recorded annually?  The daily rate is a little staggering and it is from all causes.

According to one source, 2,813,503 resident fatalities recorded in 2017.  That works out to 7,708 daily.  But USA has a large pool of residents, so that works out to 8.5 per 1,000 annually.  

1 hour ago, logan25 said:

Do you know how many deaths are recorded annually?  The daily rate is a little staggering and it is from all causes.

According to one source, 2,813,503 resident fatalities recorded in 2017.  That works out to 7,708 daily.  But USA has a large pool of residents, so that works out to 8.5 per 1,000 annually.  

You’re right.  If 100,000 die from COVID 19 from now to the end of June, the hell with them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear CDC, if you are reading this thread (probably not), stick to your guns.  The US is in no position right now to make a decision on starting cruises out of the USA.  Cases and hospitalizations are spiking again.  Death increases will likely follow.  We don't have enough vaccines administered yet to get to herd immunity and we don't really know what the interaction will be between the vaccines and some of the variants (one of the Brazil variants seems particularly troubling).  I suggest waiting for at least two more months before making any decisions.  Let the cruise lines homeport somewhere else for a period of time if they choose.  They will come running back to Miami and Galveston once it is deemed truly safe to cruise out of the US.

Oh....and pay no attention to a very vocal minority of screamers and whiners.  The majority of citizens support the careful approach you are taking.  We can all wait a few more months for cruising to start again.  Safety is priority number one.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

No one is forcing anyone to cruise. It is a personal choice. One that some of us C19 vaccinated people would like to say YES PLEASE to.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Are you talking about US? There are 331 million people, 1260 deaths doesnt even move the needle. 75,000 cases, how many hospitalized? Still doesnt move the needle. We know what it is, how to treat it and how to prevent it. We are miles ahead of what we were march 2020.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

No one is forcing anyone to cruise. It is a personal choice. One that some of us C19 vaccinated people would like to say YES PLEASE to.

But, if the ships ain't sailing......

I'm more concerned with cases dropping, seeing how long the vaccine is effective for, when I will be getting a booster vaccine than cruising in July of this year. I don't think the CDC is trying to punish us- but I am just one person. If I have to do 3 cruises in 2024 for time missed then so be it, i'd rather play it safe for now. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

But, if the ships ain't sailing......

Ummm, they are. Americans (me included) are jumping on the RCI cruises sailing out of the Bahamas and Bermuda. No CDC influence there. 

• Like 1

Cruising from the USA is not going to happen in July.  For those of you ripping off your masks and think Covid is over is not reality.  Covid is spiking all over the place.  Take point Norwin High School in Western PA.  Its in Westmoreland County and a county that is Trump country.  They had huge Covid outbreaks throughout the pandemic.  A few weeks ago they ordered all students back to classroom learning.  The overwhelming number of parents and the school board pretty much declared Covid quarantine over.  There was a small protest of some students who worried about their health.  All students returned to class and guess what happened?  Covid spread so fast that the high school had to cancel all classes because of the Covid outbreak.  Until everyone is vaccinated there is no way cruising is going to resume in a few months.  Here is the link to the story I was talking about because it reminds me of this board.  The parents and school board were over Covid and ready to jump right back into classroom learning only to have egg on their face and forcing the closing of the high school because of Covid.  It would spread on cruise ships like wild fire again just like this school district who thought, acted and behaved like many on this board.   Reality sometimes sucks. Until at least 60% of Americans are vaccinated will the CDC even remotely consider changing things.  

Norwin High School closed 2 days because of covid cases | TribLIVE.com

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Cases are not the concern, how many cases required hospital care? How many died? That is the barometer  to what is really going on. The graphs continue to go down. 75,000 new cases yesterday in the US, and 1260 deaths. Yesterday 3.3 MILLION vaccines went into arms. As vax goes up the rest comes down. It is all about the numbers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Ummm, they are. Americans (me included) are jumping on the RCI cruises sailing out of the Bahamas and Bermuda. No CDC influence there. 

I’m with you.  Already cancelled my NCL transatlantic in Dec and am booking a RCL Caribbean cruise out of Barbados instead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

It would spread on cruise ships like wild fire again

It’s like 90% of this forum has completely forgotten about the Diamond Princess, and all the “plague ships” that weren’t allowed to dock in various countries. But it was “only“ 14 deaths on Diamond Princess, and they were “only” old people.

Sigh.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

That's almost as many Americans that die per day from cigarettes....almost.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm#:~:text=Cigarette smoking is responsible for,or 1%2C300 deaths every day.&text=On average%2C smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Really, how can you jump on a cruise if the ships ain't currently sailing?

Many cruises worldwide are/were scheduled to sail in June.....😉

• Like 1