FL to “take all legal action as necessary” to restart cruising.

doneall50

Just now, mom says said:

But what about the positive cases that do show up on the ship? Is DeSantis going to welcome them back with open arms and provide treatment and quarantine facilities for them?

How many cases are we talking about if everyone is vaccinated on the ship?

• Like 1

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

How many cases are we talking about if everyone is vaccinated on the ship?

Ken, no one knows and will not know until cruising resumes.  Hopefully VERY few, but...

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But if that was a requirement the cruise lines agreed to, would these issues still be relevant?

They would. They want a contingency plan. Read the requirements by the VSP for noro.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/about_gi_surveillance.html

Something such as this will certainly be in place for COVID. 

If this industry is so incredibly important to the economic wellbeing of Florida, offer to work with the regulatory agencies, offer support and facilities to the cruiselines if necessary. Offer up some sort of plan.  Show you are committed to helping. If they don't take you up on on your offer? That's on them.

But it does take a lot less effort and problem solving to host some group complaining for an hour and threaten legal action. 

• Like 2

Just now, LGW59 said:

Ken, no one knows and will not know until cruising resumes.  Hopefully VERY few, but...

Hey, I don't have all the answers. I'm just glad the momentum is changing. But if there are vaccines readily available and flowing freely throughout the US by early June, IMHO that's a BIG plus for the powers that be to capitalize on to come up with an equitable way for cruises to start sailing again, even in a limited capacity by July.

• Like 3

United States always acts last just like rescuing the passengers on Princess of Diamond.Now we ended up with the most cases of COVID.

We need to lead the world and not follow.

In a few months they will realize more ships will be not using U S ports.

I really sympathize those forks make a living in the port services.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 2

In the highly unlikely event that cruises start soon from Florida, I would hesitate for a long time before I would travel to Miami or Lauderdale to embark/disembark. It might work for Florida residents but would many people really want to travel there?  If/when Florida gets its act together, then maybe they can start leaning on CDC, the Coast Guard, the cruise lines etc but meanwhile I am not sure that they are in a good position to complain.

Stan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

In the highly unlikely event that cruises start soon from Florida, I would hesitate for a long time before I would travel to Miami or Lauderdale to embark/disembark. It might work for Florida residents but would many people really want to travel there?  If/when Florida gets its act together, then maybe they can start leaning on CDC, the Coast Guard, the cruise lines etc but meanwhile I am not sure that they are in a good position to complain.

Stan

agree!  Once in a very blue moon, a cruise for me starts or ends in Florida, the itinerary has to be like OMG how can I resist.  Even then, I fly in the day before and just stay at my hotel and head to the ship for my boarding time.  Much much prefer Med/European start/end.  

Just now, cruisestitch said:

What possible legal action could there be?  The state of Florida has no jurisdiction over a federal agency and can’t push the CDC to do anything, can it?

Correct, they cannot.  Well technically, they can try to bring a lawsuit...can you say years away if/when it would be heard.  What these two are doing is vacuuming for votes...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Even if you are only on a ship-sponsored excursion you still interact with shoreside tour operators, bus drivers, port authorities, local guides, souvenir vendors and shopping stop personnel 

Very similar to the types of contacts you would have taking an airline flight anywhere but the restrictions on airlines are very minimal.  

• Like 2

Two observations on comments made:

1. No, Florida’s economy isn’t being ‘crippled’ by the cancelation of cruising. Just as throughout the US, we are ‘crippled’ because we are in the middle of a Pandemic and it’s impacted pretty much all of the economic areas. The cruise industry is important, but it being held up isn’t what is crippling us.   

2. And No, We aren’t being held ‘hostage’ by COVID as if all we have to do is rip off our masks and quit isolating. We are trying to survive a worldwide Pandemic that is still ongoing. We are getting ‘close’ to getting it under control, but not yet. 

Den

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I typically try to refrain from posting in this type of thread and I couldn't even read through the comments on pages two and three, but being a Florida resident for the past 16 years is making me jump in and I'll keep this short.

Why do people today think that we should know every single thing an entity is doing to address a situation?  Does anyone here really know what CLIA, cruise lines, or Alaska/Florida politicians, have really done to develop plans and take them to the feds and the CDC?  If you think they are doing nothing or have no plans prepared just because we aren't aware of them, I think your mistaken. Besides, even if we knew every little thing in a plan, there would be people unhappy with it.

Next, I'm tired of people taking shots at Florida about how has Covid has been managed here.  If you talk to most Floridians, we're pretty happy with the way things have gone in Florida and how Covid-related things have been managed in the past year.  Others have the right to disagree and some do, but please stop the nastiness.  Many of the issues Florida has dealt with have been caused by those coming from other states.  I find Floridians (at least in the area where we live) are respectful of protocols and considerate to their neighbors.

I'm starting to get concerned what passengers are going to be like once they step on a ship.  Can we all drop the divisiveness and get along?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Pure political posturing. And if the experts in the field in question ( these unelected bureaucrats) aren't the ones qualified to make these decisions, why would you allow elected officials with something to gain, but with no deep knowledge of the subject, to do it?  Florida hasn't exactly been the poster child for responsible COVID management. This is just more of that.

And yet, out of the 50 states, Florida ranks 30th in the number of cases per 100,000 since Jan 2020. Sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of articles regarding this meeting today if you didn't have the time to watch the video.

Florida Eyeing Legal Options to Restart Cruise Industry - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Cruise Industry Execs Aggressively Call for Restart with Florida Gov. DeSantis - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Edited by Ken the cruiser

17 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, Ken. I'm not picking on you, but...

Just did a quick search of the Miami Herald and the South Florida Business Journal. This isn't even being picked up by the broader media. I admit I'm not a Floridian, and those may not be the best sources, but if it's not being picked up by the local business news, this is a non-story, again. Is there any activity outside of niche media?

And don't get me started on the quality of journalism on the CDC (non) story two days ago, also from cruise specific news sources!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

You arent necessarily safer in Michigan.  Michigan has and still has plenty of cases.

Lots of people have been already traveling safely to Florida.  According to the INMHE, 70% of Floridians wear a mask. Dont let a bunch of spring breakers skew your idea about Florida.  However, if you want to stay in Michigan, that's your choice. However, if they restarted cruising in Florida, I have no doubt there would be more than enough takers,

Edited by Crazy planning mom

21 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Next, I'm tired of people taking shots at Florida about how has Covid has been managed here.  If you talk to most Floridians, we're pretty happy with the way things have gone in Florida and how Covid-related things have been managed in the past year.  Others have the right to disagree and some do, but please stop the nastiness.  Many of the issues Florida has dealt with have been caused by those coming from other states.  I find Floridians (at least in the area where we live) are respectful of protocols and considerate to their neighbors.

I'm starting to get concerned what passengers are going to be like once they step on a ship.  Can we all drop the divisiveness and get along?

Thank you for stating this about Florida.  I manage a resort on the East coast of Florida....EVERY EMPLOYEE wears masks, social distances and the amount of sanitizer we've used in the last year would fill a lake...  We are all trying to make a living...we aren't "spring breakers" that Mom & Dad from all over the USA have sent to Florida for a week and provided them with the funds to do it.    

Anne is right, the Floridians that I know and work with have been diligent about doing what is right.   I don't think Gov. DeSantis can really do anything about getting cruising going, but just the fact that he keeps the topic in the media might help move things along a little.  

There is NEVER going to be a time that we will be guaranteed there won't be a COVID case on a ship.. stuff happens.  Royal, MSC, TUI, and now Celebrity have found a way to deal with cases, over 500,000 people have cruised in the last 6 months and, yes, there have been a few cases, but they've been handled by the cruiselines.  If you're waiting for a guarantee of no COVID, cruising won't be an option for you....ever.  

• Like 2

DeSantis (holding myself back from using his more accurate last name) is just blowing smoke.

The problem is that the state policy on no controls to negate community spread show in the numbers of Covid 19 cases .

The state ranks number three in cases per capita.  We have the highest case number of the most contagious variants in the country. 

Miami-Dade in particular has a case rate of 9%; the highest of any metropolitan area in the USA.

Due to the influx of out of state visitors for spring break that will not wear masks or follow any guidelines that local officials to to enforce. a curfew has been put in place that will remain until the middle of April (may be extended). The causeways leading to the beach areas are closed from Thursday through Sunday.

Does anyone really think that people with epidemiological expertise is going to open up cruising from Florida?

The sad thing is that the state has done it to itself by not taking steps to put procedures in place to stem the spread of Covid 19.

• Like 2