Should CCL follow NCL policy for Vaccinated passengers only?

crusinbanjo

22 hours ago, ehogan said:

We have several cruises booked for 2022.  If full vaccination of all passengers (including children and crew) is not required for these cruises we will be cancelling.

We agree and will have to look at other cruise lines to satisfy our desire to cruise.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 2:54 PM, ehogan said:

We have several cruises booked for 2022.  If full vaccination of all passengers (including children and crew) is not required for these cruises we will be cancelling.

Same here, that is one of our 2 conditions before we will step aboard a cruise ship again. There other being that we are not restricted to ship tours only.

We are still undecided on the masking issue as its going to be over 10 months before we are scheduled for our first one and want to see how vaccination rates and effectiveness play out . We would prefer not to have to wear masks on our cruise, but its not a deal breaker at this time. 

• Like 3

We have a number of things booked, too.  We will only retain those bookings that offer a fully vaccinated ship.  If in doubt at full payment time, we plan to cancel.   There's always going to be a risk of COVID cases onboard no matter what, but we'd like to have the best possible chance of successfully completing our cruise route, without missing ports or being stuck somewhere we don't want to be.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 12:43 PM, iancal said:

No vaccinations required would be  a deal breaker for us on any cruise line. 

Why? Aren't you vaccinated? We have an older friend and her doctor thinks because of her medical issues, she shouldn't be vaccinated.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Why? Aren't you vaccinated? We have an older friend and her doctor thinks because of her medical issues, she shouldn't be vaccinated.  

Iancal is simply stating the same as many of us have wanting vaccination to be a requirement of everyone on board.    If everyone on the ship is fully vaccinated there is a lot less chance of a covid outbreak and the cruise being cancelled, ports cancelled, etc.

I feel the same as Iancal & @drowelf requiring 100% vaccination and NOT being restricted to ship’s excursions for the only time I can be in port.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Yes.  We have had our first shot

Absolutely no interest in boarding a ship that does not have a vaccination requirement.  No wish to get halfway through a cruise only to find out that we have to return to port because of an covid outbreak with those are not vaccinated (or perhaps some that are)  or having cruise stops cancelled.

I understand the burden that this requirement places on some people.

I suspect that the vast majority of people who do not get vaccinated are those who make the decision rather than those who are advised not to for health reasons.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, kazu said:

I feel the same as Iancal & @drowelf requiring 100% vaccination and NOT being restricted to ship’s excursions for the only time I can be in port.

100% vaccination?  Yes, that will be a requirement for me.  For the time being, if I must remain in a "bubble" as to being in a port?  I will accept that requirement just to get cruising underway once more.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

100% vaccination?  Yes, that will be a requirement for me.  For the time being, if I must remain in a "bubble" as to being in a port?  I will accept that requirement just to get cruising underway once more.  

As much as I love cruising, part of the joy is visiting the different countries and ports.  I can’t envisage going to Europe and not being able to sit in a cafe, mingle with locals or just explore.  Restrictions to a ship’s excursion means doing a tour that is just an “over view” in many cases and mostly places I have seen.  When we go, we choose to see things in detail.

To have to get back on the ship after a ship’s tour and not enjoy the town/city or area we are in is not something I think we can do.  I don’t want to sit at the sea view pool or on my balcony because a tour is over while we sit in port for another 4 - 6 hours and not be able to go out and see things.

Not to mention that the ship likely doesn’t have the ability to accommodate everyone on a cruise with their shore excursions.  

If it’s safe, we’ll do a land visit instead and enjoy the people and culture and see things in detail.

We long to cruise but not for the sake of just cruising and not seeing what we wanted.  Different strokes 😉 

Hopefully if ships are vaccinated the requirement of ships’ tours will be lifted.  If HAL had more tours like the old “secrets of the Vatican” that we did, I’d happily do it.  Sadly, their small group tours are not small groups and their descriptions do not always match what you get.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

We long to cruise but not for the sake of just cruising and not seeing what we wanted.  Different strokes 😉 

Honestly, I expected such a response from you.  I empathize.  To visit Hong Kong and not be able to freely browse the Bird Market, the Flower Market, to visit other Markets that abound, to ride the Star Ferry to the Island without having to remain "in my group's bubble", yes, it would diminish the experience of visiting Hong Kong.  Or any other port that one might visit.

That leads to the fundamental question of whether any of us experienced cruisers who remember/enjoyed our past experiences will return to cruising if the new regulations are so different from the past.  

I have made it clear on many posts on CC that if I MUST wear a mask during a cruise, I will not be cruising again.  If I must remain in a tour group "bubble", at least for awhile, I will accept this.  More likely than not--depending upon the port and the tour--I would remain aboard the ship and enjoy the day in port.  

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Carnival Corp has released their Q1 results ydy and had the pro forma analyst community results call.  

Full transcript here: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4418067-carnival-corporation-plcs-ccl-ceo-arnold-donald-on-q1-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

But excerpted? 

Scripted portion (Arnold Donald speaking)  

image.png.34d50ddb1020d9660304cd71e6ff02ee.png

Q+A with analyst community  (Arnold Donald speaking again)  

image.png.77c7cbe1e17092ff1eb3178201a586ad.png

So read into that what one will ...         Scott. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have made it clear on many posts on CC that if I MUST wear a mask during a cruise, I will not be cruising again.  If I must remain in a tour group "bubble", at least for awhile, I will accept this.  More likely than not--depending upon the port and the tour--I would remain aboard the ship and enjoy the day in port.  

Appreciate your understanding reply.

I suspect that while the “bubbles” are required, masks will be as well.

I hope I am wrong - only time will tell and sooner or later those restrictions will be lifted I suspect.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Honestly, I expected such a response from you.  I empathize.  To visit Hong Kong and not be able to freely browse the Bird Market, the Flower Market, to visit other Markets that abound, to ride the Star Ferry to the Island without having to remain "in my group's bubble", yes, it would diminish the experience of visiting Hong Kong.  Or any other port that one might visit.

That leads to the fundamental question of whether any of us experienced cruisers who remember/enjoyed our past experiences will return to cruising if the new regulations are so different from the past.  

In answer to your question we will but it  will depend on the Itinerary we have booked until travel gets back to normal.  We have the 24 Night Capitols/TA on Rotterdam booked.  Closer to Final Payment we’ll see where everything is at and weigh it out and decide if it’s worth going this year. There’s always 2022 and, hopefully, by then this Virus will be behind us all and Cruising will be back to normal!  

We have a Plan B and booked an 11 Nite Rotterdam Carib Cruise for 2021.  We rarely get off the Ship anymore in the Carib, can drive to the Port and visit my Daughter for a few days Pre-Cruise.  We are booked on a couple of Carib Cruises in early 2022 and plan on keeping them.  We just love to Cruise and are anxious to get back Onboard even if it means staying closer to home until our 24 Nite Europe Cruise in Fall, 2022.  

We are not interested in getting on a cruise ship just for the sake of it.   

There has to be more to it for us to spend  our money and our time.  

Cruising is just one option.  We would not feel any bravado about being in the first group to cruise if the rest is not there.

• Thanks 1

If CCL does not require all crew/passengers to be vaccinated does that mean every one will then have to wear a mask? If people don't want to get vaccinated let them stay at home so the rest of us can get on with our lives.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ski ww said:

If CCL does not require all crew/passengers to be vaccinated does that mean every one will then have to wear a mask? If people don't want to get vaccinated let them stay at home so the rest of us can get on with our lives.

From what I am seeing on other cruise line protocols where they are planning on sailing and requiring vaccination, masks are still required.

Hopefully this is short term.

I totally agree with your last sentence.  👍 

17 hours ago, iancal said:

We are not interested in getting on a cruise ship just for the sake of it.

Not a cruising event, but this week, for the first time in quite awhile, Amtrak restored sleeper service on a train from Boston South Station to Washington.  There were a few individuals that wanted to be a part of that "inaugural" trip.  A report/video was posted on the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum by a young man who made that trip.  He purchased a ticket for a Roomette from Boston South Station to Boston Back Bay Station.  Some people do things "just for the sake of it".  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

From what I am seeing on other cruise line protocols where they are planning on sailing and requiring vaccination, masks are still required.

Hopefully this is short term.

I totally agree with your last sentence.  👍 

I agree Jacqui, I think masks are a given even on vaccinated cruises at least at the beginning.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Not a cruising event, but this week, for the first time in quite awhile, Amtrak restored sleeper service on a train from Boston South Station to Washington.  There were a few individuals that wanted to be a part of that "inaugural" trip.  A report/video was posted on the Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum by a young man who made that trip.  He purchased a ticket for a Roomette from Boston South Station to Boston Back Bay Station.  Some people do things "just for the sake of it".  

And there is a population of cruisers who fit that bill, not us but that’s ok.  It’s like an inaugural cruise, some love them, we avoid them as we will wait until all the kinks are worked out.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

If vaccinations are required, my cruising days are OVER.  I have shell fish allergies and I am NOT getting the Vaccine.

Respectfully, Father, what does your shell fish allergy have anything to do with any of the vaccines that have been produced?  

If you choose not to respond to my question, I will not be offended.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I am hearing maybe, mights, could bees about vaccinated people possibly, might, could bees infected and contagious.   

True to an extent. Even if vaccinated you can be asymptomatic. Currently the word is that vaccinated people cannot transmit. That is why the continuation of requiring/requesting wearing masks adds an additional layer.

We are in Iceland for a Viking Ocean cruise in July.  Iceland currently still requires a Covid test - even if vaccinated to enter the country. Updated info is due May 1 so that may change.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I think we may see the exit of one or two CEOs in 2023.  Sitting on their hands and keeping mum, until recently, was their call.  

Well, I must say, that is interesting speculation.

I consider CCL to be the "big dog" of the cruising industry.  I have found it curious that NCL and RCI seemed to "join forces" to initially provide some type of a pathway that the CDC might OK to resume cruising.  CCL was not part of that effort.  I have wondered why.  

I have one thought as to why this might have happened.  Based on what little information that I know:  NCLH is the weakest financially of the the Big Three.  RCI is on the next rung up.  CCL is on the top ring up.  None of the Big Three will be able to survive if the financial data that I read in CCL's Shareholder's Report keeps continuing indefinitely.  

• Like 1

This is really easy.  I suspect that in the near term all cruise lines, international airlines, and indeed many countries will insist on proof of covid vaccination.   

So the choice is simple.  Get the vaccination or travel  inside your own country. 

Cruise lines with itineraries stopping in countries that requiring covid vaccination for entry  will no doubt insist that embarking customers are vaccinated.

The choice will be yours.   

I doubt that it matters whether one agrees or disagrees,   It is simply the way it will probably be at least in the short term.  They make the rules.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3