CDC says we may be able to start cruising from US this summer

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You do realize we use a totally different way of counting covid deaths than we do anything else right?

If we used the same methodology used for flu deaths (positive test, hospitalization) we'd have about 150k covid deaths, which would be on par with two bad flu seasons.

So how manty Hospital E.R have you worked in?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Why have the deaths of this group drop of dramatically in the last few months? Without the vaccine and other protocols set by the CDC we'd still be in that position. If you are paying attention, a lot more of the younger people are coming into play. I'm sure the tune will change if they start passing away or end up in the hospital.

"If you are paying attention".   No need to even begin to assume that with that particular poster 🙄   And you are absolutely right.  Now that younger people are the ones getting seriously ill and hospitalized it's all of a sudden a problem...

24 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

At the least, I would say there was not a meeting of the minds or maybe outright misunderstanding.  

I thought the additional CDC guidance falls short of requiring mandatory passenger vaccinations.  So was that stipulation added by the Mayor?

Edited by logan25

19 minutes ago, logan25 said:

At the least, I would say there was not a meeting of the minds or maybe outright misunderstanding.  

I thought the additional CDC guidance falls short of requiring mandatory passenger vaccinations.  So was that stipulation added by the Mayor?

I think the mayor is trying to take the lead here, in other words to set the terms that the county thinks will be the best path forward and try to convince the CDC and the governor to bless them (it seems like the cruise lines are or will). If the county thinks mandatory vaccinations are the way forward at least in the near term then the question remains whether the governor or the CDC will balk at that.

Edited by Pratique

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

We knew plenty about masks and airborne viruses. We knew plenty about social distancing during airborne virus pandemics. AMerican society just chose to ignore it.

What we didn't yet know was that it wasn't nearly as bad as we originally thought.

Not as bad as we originally thought? Just look at the world. This is not a political stunt just in the US.

And it is not all about deaths.  Long Covid is a thing.  The latest studies are showing that 34% of covid survivors are experiencing neurological or psychiatric disease within 6 months of initial recovery.

There are so many different long covid symptoms that are just now coming to light that are devastating to the covid survivor. 

Insurance premiums are going to skyrocket for everyone if we don't get this under control and insurance has to keep paying for more and more covid repercussions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Do they also estimate how many of that group died from the flu and any difference from previous years.  

Not sure about deaths from flu, but you can find information about excess deaths here:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

9 minutes ago, parachutes63 said:

The CDC may give the ok for cruises but, the State of New York, Maryland, California and Washington have to be willing to open the ports for cruising.

CA might be open june 15th

14 minutes ago, parachutes63 said:

The CDC may give the ok for cruises but, the State of New York, Maryland, California and Washington have to be willing to open the ports for cruising.

Don't forget Massachusetts, Maine, Virginia, South Carolina, and Louisiana besides Florida and Texas and I'm sure I've left some off. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, summer starts on Memorial Day. End of May. Summer ends on Labor Day, early September

Summer officially starts on June 20, 2021 and ends on September 23, 2021

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, summer starts on Memorial Day. End of May. Summer ends on Labor Day, early September

Summer officially starts on June 20, 2021 and ends on September 23, 2021. 

Edited by Midwestgal

3 minutes ago, Midwestgal said:

Summer officially starts on June 20, 2021 and ends

summer starts on June 20, 2021 and ends on September 23, 2021. 
it’s not ever marked by Memorial Day or Labor Day ...well officially.

Maybe the Memorial Day / Labor Day thing comes from that old fashion rule that states that you are not supposed to wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, logan25 said:

Royal Caribbean took the lead on this requiring all adults be vaccinated on their cruises sailing from Bermuda, Nassau, and St. Maarten. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Royal Caribbean took the lead on this requiring all adults be vaccinated on their cruises sailing from Bermuda, Nassau, and St. Maarten. 

Lol I'm not sure about "took the lead".  Several cruise lines imposed a vaccination requirement as early as February.

32 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Looks like she's back pedaling a bit after she took a jab at DeSantis in her previous statement where she stated that suing was not the right approach (after DeSantis threatened to sue the CDC). 

Yeah, I am not sure what she is trying to say. 

40 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Maybe the Memorial Day / Labor Day thing comes from that old fashion rule that states that you are not supposed to wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day? 

Does that rule apply to Florida which considering where I live it's summer all year there. I know when it drops to 70 you all break out the coats and gloves.

35 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

This Miami Herald article actually contains some not negative comments from a named CDC official.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cdc-says-passengers-could-be-boarding-cruise-ships-in-us-ports-as-soon-as-july/ar-BB1fmKVu?ocid=msedgntp

The part from CDC's Cetron  is interesting. But the part from the port workers is sad, regarding the impact of no cruising on port workers.

Cetron’s advice to U.S. citizens planning to fly to the Caribbean for a summer cruise: “I would say hold on,” he said. “We’re really getting our best tools in place right now. Getting all Americans vaccinated is a game changer in this pandemic. I know that it’s really hard and I know pandemic fatigue is real; people just want out. We are so close. Give us some time.”

More time is difficult to imagine for Torin Ragin, president of the International Longshoremen’s Association Local 1416, which represents nearly 800 workers at PortMiami. Since the pandemic began, working hours on the cruise ship side of the port have plummeted. Hundreds of longshoremen are at risk of losing their medical insurance coverage in January 2022 unless they can work 700 hours by the end of September, an impossible task without the return of cruising.

“It’s the continued uncertainty after uncertainty after uncertainty,” he said. “It’s real. I see the faces; I get the calls; I’m on ground zero of this thing. We’re willing to do whatever it takes to keep people safe.”

• Like 5