DeSantis could sink our chances of cruising out of Florida

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

And its completely understandable that you are hesitant.  My 84 yr old mother who is diabetic and not exactly the healthiest person does whatever she wants in TX with her vaccine and mask.  The family cautions her to be careful but she points out it is her life and her choice and she does what is required for her.  You are doing the same.  It isn't what I would do as I have been traveling since June but it works for you.

Yeah.  I think after this year and if we have to get vaccinated at that time, I'll relax.  We do have a cruise booked for Dec. 2022, so I'm hoping by then, this thing will be better under control.  Prayers for your mom.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'm curious as to what other business' wish to require an individual to prove vaccination. 

An excellent point.  There may be other businesses besides cruise lines, but as far as I know, no restaurant or shop around here is requiring proof of vaccination. 

Sadly, this executive order may just be an appeal to DeSantis' political base.  And, as others have suggested, he may find a way to get around his own order when it comes to cruise lines.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

image.png.6027304c07f1faf0ab60f93acb7cb8d9.png

Ahh.... Ok. You're sorted on total number of cases, not the number per 100k people.  That'll just make the more populated states bubble to the top. 

Edited by D C
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

The point is that, by your 'can't have it both ways' criterion, the people who say 'it's OK for DeSantis to say what businesses can't do, but it's not OK for Whitmer' would also be guilty of a hypocritical double standard.

Correct. When any politician, of any stripe, exceeds his authority and implements unconstitutional executive orders, I have a problem with it. But I note that the doctrine of "OK if my party does it, wrong if the other one does" is in constant use. And I'm sort of tired of it. Now if someone HAS the constitutional authority, that's another matter.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

The point is that, by your 'can't have it both ways' criterion, the people who say 'it's OK for DeSantis to say what businesses can't do, but it's not OK for Whitmer' would also be guilty of a hypocritical double standard.

Naw... it isn't hypocritical at all. So I can.

DeSantis is for the protection of one's individual & personal liberties, while Whitmer  is for removing and taking away those same liberties. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Correct. When any politician, of any stripe, exceeds his authority and implements unconstitutional executive orders, I have a problem with it. But I note that the doctrine of "OK if my party does it, wrong if the other one does" is in constant use. And I'm sort of tired of it. Now if someone HAS the constitutional authority, that's another matter.

Agreed, but the application by Florida vs other states are different.  Florida applies the same rule to all businesses while other states pick and choose which businesses it applies to. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

Agreed, but the application by Florida vs other states are different.  Florida applies the same rule to all businesses while other states pick and choose which businesses it applies to. 

In MI it was even worse: you could buy a chainsaw in Home Depot in Michigan, but not seeds for your garden. You couldn't use your leisure boat (except if you were the governor's husband, in another stunning display of "rules are for the peasants"). SMH 🙄

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

DeSantis is for the protection of one's individual & personal liberties, while Whitmer  is for removing and taking away those same liberties. 

I may not agree with your argument, but I agree it's not hypocritical, because you are, in effect, claiming that you can have it both ways with respect to the regulation of businesses.

9 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

What about the liberties of the business owners?

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Under the 10th Amendment, states have the authority to enact policies to protect public health, and executive orders related to the pandemic fall squarely under that authority.

Just now, orville99 said:

Under the 10th Amendment, states have the authority to enact policies to protect public health, and executive orders related to the pandemic fall squarely under that authority.

Subject to certain conditions, of course. Even executive orders are subject to judicial scrutiny. I know you're aware of that, but I just wanted to point that out.

5 hours ago, koolZip said:

I would go so far as to call DeSantis one of the most pro-virus governors in the country. Since the very beginning of the pandemic he has been recklessly obstinate and criminally incompetent in protecting the residents of his state. From allegedly false reporting of COVID deaths and infections to blocking municipalities from instituting mask requirements to his sweetheart vaccine deal with large donor Publix, he has shown himself to be a corrupt and venal politician. If anyone can sink the prospect of cruises out of FL in the near future, he can.

Wow.  What a load of c.....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

I may not agree with your argument, but I agree it's not hypocritical, because you are, in effect, claiming that you can have it both ways with respect to the regulation of businesses.

Citizens United, Hobby Lobby and a baker in Colorado would also not agree.

25 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

But isn’t his order saying businesses can’t require the vaccine taking away the liberties of the business owner that wishes to do business with vaccinated customers only?  If some businesses required customers to have the vaccine, those who do not want the passport, can chose to do business with another company - everyone gets their liberties.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

What part of restricting “proof of vaccination” is in the interest of public health?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Would you be objective enough to consider and list three positive things he has done for Florida this past year? 

Why should I? I've given my take on how badly he has handled the COVID pandemic. That was the point of my comment. If you'd like to list three positive things he's done for Florida, by all means, be my guest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, koolZip said:

I would go so far as to call DeSantis one of the most pro-virus governors in the country. Since the very beginning of the pandemic he has been recklessly obstinate and criminally incompetent in protecting the residents of his state. From allegedly false reporting of COVID deaths and infections to blocking municipalities from instituting mask requirements to his sweetheart vaccine deal with large donor Publix, he has shown himself to be a corrupt and venal politician. If anyone can sink the prospect of cruises out of FL in the near future, he can.

Sad, but true!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

You're entitled to your opinion even if it's wrong. 😆

• Haha 1