DeSantis could sink our chances of cruising out of Florida

1 hour ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

The point is that, by your 'can't have it both ways' criterion, the people who say 'it's OK for DeSantis to say what businesses can't do, but it's not OK for Whitmer' would also be guilty of a hypocritical double standard.

Hypo versus hyper - confusion here?

56 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

But isn’t his order saying businesses can’t require the vaccine taking away the liberties of the business owner that wishes to do business with vaccinated customers only?  If some businesses required customers to have the vaccine, those who do not want the passport, can chose to do business with another company - everyone gets their liberties.  

Exactly.  Why can't he let businesses do what they want, and let the free market work things out?

• Like 3

Hmmmm....CRICKETS.... and just what I thought. Not many. If any business is actually objecting. I think the only objectors are those that are concerned they might have to go on a cruise with a ship that is not fully vaxed up. The Gov basically shut down the selffishness of a few in the interest of the many.  

caveat.... I'm vaxed and ready to go and actually do not wish to spend money on a cruise that has non-vaxed folks walking around for fear of the cruise being disturbed. Yes... that's selfish of me. So I'm like most of ya'll in the respects that I don't know what to do and am learning to navigate through this mess. But I do like the Gov's line of not creating two classes of people. That's good stuff. So for at least awhile, I will not be going on a cruise. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Fourth time I've inquired... what business' are objecting?

I'm curious what happened to cdc is at fault, now all the sudden it florida governor is why cruises cant restart. I think a lot of people got the cart before the horse as they say. 

Until cdc sys ok, why worry about something next? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

and yet after all of these allegations, Florida has been opened and business flourishing all the while Florida is in the top percentile of most covid stats when comparing the other states. When I rthink of a Governor's policy of failure to protect their state from Covid, the only name that comes to mind is Cuomo and his nursing home death scandal. Such as it is.

Actually not. The governor has never intituted a mask mandate, but most of the state's mayors have. There is still a mask mandate in Pinellas county as well as many others.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I honestly don't care if others on my cruise are vaccinated or not. It's not up to me to decide for others. I only ask the same in return. I'll be vaccinated (halfway there already), so I'm statistically very unlikely to even get it (again). 

I am not personally overly concerned about contracting it either as I will be fully vaccinated.  But, i absolutely am not interested in being on a cruise where there is increased possibility of an outbreak because adults who could be vaccinated chose not to do so.  An outbreak would undoubtedly negatively impact the quality of the cruise - who wants to be quarantined for crying out loud? 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Under the 10th Amendment, states have the authority to enact policies to protect public health, and executive orders related to the pandemic fall squarely under that authority.

You would need to defer to the Constitution and enacted law in each state to make the determination to what, if any extent that sort of power is vested in a given governor.  I've not read DeSantis's order, though I'm curious to know what law he's relying on for that power, especially as he's not making this move in the interest of protecting public health. 

• Like 2

Just now, kccrzr said:

I am not personally overly concerned about contracting it either as I will be fully vaccinated.  But, i absolutely am not interested in being on a cruise where there is increased possibility of an outbreak because adults who could be vaccinated chose not to do so.  An outbreak would undoubtedly negatively impact the quality of the cruise - who wants to be quarantined for crying out loud? 

I think that's the concern of others on here also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sure are a lot of interesting new people here now.

#newblood

Ha, Yeah! But to those of us been on here since 1997 even you are considered a new poster 😁

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Heymarco said:

What does this suggest? I see red states and blue states, states that have strict mask policies and others that don’t. Interestingly all states are in warmer climates and are travel magnets.

But . . . (paraphrasing a self proclaimed expert) 

When it gets warmer it will disappear. 

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Can you tell which business is objecting?

It doesn’t matter. You didn’t answer the question and then you claim victory in your non-response. Why is it ever OK for the state to prevent any business from requiring patrons to have a vaccine. If this applies to the cruise lines then what?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, D C said:

You would need to defer to the Constitution and enacted law in each state to make the determination to what, if any extent that sort of power is vested in a given governor.  I've not read DeSantis's order, though I'm curious to know what law he's relying on for that power, especially as he's not making this move in the interest of protecting public health. 

Apparently executive power is only bad when one party uses it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, D C said:

Why do you say that? 

The implication is that when party A uses executive orders, those that follow party A think it is ok.

But when party B uses executive orders, party A followers become upset.

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

The implication is that when party A uses executive orders, those that follow party A think it is ok.

A continuous circle. 

6 hours ago, sjg1973 said:

Actually 6% of total according to CDC in Sept 2020.  6% is directly related to Covid, the other 94% had underlying conditions.

100% of the people who died died because they caught Covid.  6% didn't have comorbidities. There have been  over 600,000 deaths in excess of expected, because of Covid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

Anyone who drew that conclusion from my post was looking for a biased reason to draw that conclusion long before they read my post. 

22 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

100% of the people who died died because they caught Covid.  6% didn't have comorbidities. There have been  over 600,000 deaths in excess of expected, because of Covid.

100%? We know that's not true based on comments made by the officials in many states where if someone died for any reason and tested positive for covid they were indicated as a covid death.  Tracking/counting of covid deaths was sloppy at best in many instances. 

Edited by D C
  • Like 8