What I miss from when I first started cruising

4 hours ago, RocCruisers said:

We loved looking at the cookbooks available from the head waiter.  Where are they now?

3 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

We did buy a cookbook  - it is here somewhere in the house????

We’ve gotten several (two or three different) Royal Caribbean Cookbooks, signed by the Chef, as gifts at the end of Chef’s Table.  I think the first time we went to the Chef’s Table, we also received an apron!

• Like 2

Sort  of a corollary to the Ship Shape dollars and shirts, I remember my first time on Coco Cay, 1990, you paid for everything with gold d-blooms, which we exchanged dollars for.  

You could reconvert any unused d-blooms to cash upon returning to the ship, but I feel most were kept as souvenirs.  

Eddie

On 4/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Many of my friends are retired NYC police officers ,most in Brooklyn,but one in Queens and one in Manhattan. 

My cuz is a retired Queens homicide detective!  He's in his mid-to late 50s. This is a great thread.  I feel like a newbie.  Our first cruise was in 2001 right after my father died.  Been loyal to Royal since 2002.  Things have changed drastically since then, yes.  But I still love it and can't wait to go again.  We're booked for 2022.

Edited by SailyaCruise

4 minutes ago, SailyaCruise said:

My cuz is a retired Queens homicide detective!  He's in his mid-to late 50s. This is a great thread.  I feel like a newbie.  Our first cruise was in 2001 right after my father died.  Been loyal to Royal since 2002.  Things have changed drastically since then, yes.  But I still love it and can't wait to go again.  We're booked for 2022.

A friend of mine was Chief of Detectives in Queens .He retired and moved to Fla about 25 years ago.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

What are/were shipshape dollars?

Every time you participated in any exercise, or cruise staff event you received a ship shape dollar. After you accumulated enough you could use them to purchase ship shape gear.

Example, on first cruise in 1990, I attended a sunrise stretch class, received $1 ship shape dollar.  Participated in a free throw shooting game, received a ship shape dollar.  Gut busters exercise class, receive a dollar.

Then, after accumulating 10 ship shape dollars I could purchase the ship shape tee shirt, which was a bright neon yellow tee shirt with “Ship Shape” written on it and Royal Caribbean insignia.  

It was a souvenir you had to earn via participation. It was free advertising as people (including me) took them home to all corners of the globe and wore those bright yellow shirts proudly.

You could also buy other RCCL gear, cups, maybe playing cards.  Well no, the playing cards were all free as they placed a few decks in each cabin.  More advertising that everyone took home. 

Eddie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George C said:

Another thing long gone is bon voyage parties, I loved having friends and family join me before the cruise.

At one time people were allowed to stay on the ship for an hour before it left port to be with their friends or relatives who were cruising

1) the chilled fruit soups at dinner

2) Muster was outside (vs inside  crowded areas) although for better or worse they now have figured out it could be done electronically.

First cruise was in late 80's on NCL Windward, before they lengthened it.

Liked the midnight buffett up on top as we had the kids with us, and watching  them was a hoot.

One of these days, hopefully soon,  we will hopefully actually (vs booking and cancelling)  be taking the kids and grandkids, who will still be amazed at seeing the regular buffet, and the sweets all day. If they are not preoccupied by the attractions and glitz  on Oasis.

7 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

1) the chilled fruit soups at dinner

2) Muster was outside (vs inside  crowded areas) although for better or worse they now have figured out it could be done electronically.

First cruise was in late 80's on NCL Windward, before they lengthened it.

Liked the midnight buffett up on top as we had the kids with us, and watching  them was a hoot.

One of these days, hopefully soon,  we will hopefully actually (vs booking and cancelling)  be taking the kids and grandkids, who will still be amazed at seeing the regular buffet, and the sweets all day. If they are not preoccupied by the attractions and glitz  on Oasis.

We too miss the cold fruit based soup selections each night. 

On 4/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, mojomanny said:

I've been cruising for a little while.  Here are a few things I miss:

"exotic" fruits - we used to get mango, starfruit and other fruits.  Now the most exotic I see are kiwi.

"Midnight" Buffet ... it was fun and I enjoyed it .. but it was also like the running of the bulls.  They spend hours on it and in 20 minutes people went throug in a whirlwind and were gone.  There also weren't so many food options back then, now there are so many options they don't need the midnight buffet.

What do you miss?

The bartenders walking around the MDR w/ after dinner shots !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:55 PM, dswallow said:

Midnight Buffets were fun, especially the more-than-usual-decorative displays accompanied by huge sculptures in butter, chocolate and ice; and all the various vegetable and fruit cuttings.

I don't get why they can't at least do one per sailing as a themed party night of sorts. This conversation comes up a lot when I'm sailing, especially among the more seasoned crowd who's sailed for quite a long time, and often does the longer sailings themselves.

I also miss varieties of chilled soups. Royal Caribbean seems to think creamed fruit is all that's required in this category. Oh, and menus that change more often than every 5 or 8 years. Some of us do go on a cruise ship slightly more often than that. 🙂

If you ask for cold soups, they totally have them! other than the banana one, I love all of them, and my waiters always made sure to serve them to me even still