Medallion App Updated and Working Now

HBCcruiser

What's the furthest out cruise that anyone has been able to order their medallions? I don't know if my app is still just glitchy or if there is a time thing that my cruise is too far away. Well....really it is too far away for my taste, but what can I say 😂

I was able to order medallions for all my cruises up to my last one booked - December 18, 2022.  I am stuck On Step 4 - Choosing Boarding Group - on all cruises (Next one Oct 27, 2021) I assume we have to be closer to cruising time before that one opens up. How soon before cruising were CCers able to do that? 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Sorry if I confused you.  When you log into your Princess account and click manage booking;  you can still fill out all the required info there.  I just logged into my account and I have guest check in where I input all my info.  Once I fill that out I can also select my bed preference, input my passport info etc.  It does say coming soon the ocean medallion app which you can download onto your smart device.  Apologize for any confusion

Thank goodness my app is somewhat working, because the website no longer lets me do anything but input personal information and travel information. Nothing about passport or anything else that it used to. 

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Sorry if I confused you.  When you log into your Princess account and click manage booking;  you can still fill out all the required info there.  I just logged into my account and I have guest check in where I input all my info.  Once I fill that out I can also select my bed preference, input my passport info etc.  It does say coming soon the ocean medallion app which you can download onto your smart device.  Apologize for any confusion

I can't put anything into my Princess account on my computer--there is a message that says to go to the Ocean Medallion app on all my future cruises.    

I really, really hate typing on my phone using a really tiny screen with fat fingers, and as a touch-typist, I generally do everything on the computer and not on my phone (I might read emails on my phone, but unless it requires an immediate, and short, reply, I'll wait till I get on a computer to type a response).  Does anyone know if the app can be downloaded and used on my computer and not on my phone? 

This whole thing seems so stupid--we now need to do some things on the website (booking airfare, excursions, etc.), and other things on the app (checking in, dining reservations, etc.), all while it isn't even working correctly (can't access it, phones aren't compatible, etc.).  And no, I don't think I should have to buy new phones or a tablet in order to check in.

I've been on a Medallion cruise and it was great, but I was able to use the cruise personalizer to check in and do just about everything I needed to do to check in.  Once on board, I did use the app for a few things (ordered a drink, kept track of my friend I was cruising with), but if was quicker to refer to the paper copy of the Princess Patter than try to read the events on my phone...scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, enlarge, scroll, scroll, enlarge, scroll...versus open page glance at open page, and done). 

I used to be able to help my elderly parents, and other relatives who have never cruised before, check in since we could talk on the phone while logged in on the computer together (we don't live near each other so it's usually..."look over to  where it says xxx, click xxx").  I have no idea how to do this myself (since nothing is working correctly), let alone try to figure out how to help others going with me.  While my 85 year old dad has a cell phone, he only uses it to make calls and read emails; my mother doesn't even have a cell phone, so not sure how she is supposed to check in at all.

I guess with this "upgrade" Princess has decided to get rid of their older passengers and only focus on the younger crowd as this is <almost> enough to get me to quit cruising with them...<heavy sigh>.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Moondogy said:

app must still be glitchy....lol....thank you.

Oh it is glitchy all right! I was able to order the medallion but only for me. My DH has been removed from that sailing all together! I wonder who I will be cruising with? 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Oh it is glitchy all right! I was able to order the medallion but only for me. My DH has been removed from that sailing all together! I wonder who I will be cruising with? 🤣

Are you certain? I was able to add my wife as a traveling companion. I had to do it using the booking number. It didn't work at first so I tried the booking number in lower case and she suddenly became available as a travel companion.

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Are you certain? I was able to add my wife as a traveling companion. I had to do it using the booking number. It didn't work at first so I tried the booking number in lower case and she suddenly became available as a travel companion.

For my other (earlier in '21/'22) cruises it worked fine. I am in no rush to order medallions for the '22 December cruise.  I just wanted to see if I could. I think they are still updating things because this morning my cancelled August cruise was showing and now it is not. 

1 hour ago, shellbeachjim said:

I'm also having problems with our July/August 2022 cruises with the Travel Documents section. These are our first cruises to Europe since the restart. Are there any new travel requirements for European travel I'm not aware of?

None that I’ve read about.

49 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I had that problem as well, but all of a sudden all the information from the website came back in. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Thanks…that’s my hope because previously other issues were autocorrected by waiting. ☺️

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I was able to order medallions for all my cruises up to my last one booked - December 18, 2022.  I am stuck On Step 4 - Choosing Boarding Group - on all cruises (Next one Oct 27, 2021) I assume we have to be closer to cruising time before that one opens up. How soon before cruising were CCers able to do that? 

7 weeks. I'm wondering why people are trying to get an arrival time before traditional check-in time which used to be at final payment date (60 days now, 90 days pre-covid). 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Am on the Sept 5 to Alaska from Seattle.    Arrive times just opened today.  There are three groups -- Early {11 30 to 12 15}, Mid  {12 30 to 2 15} and Late {2 30 to 3 15}.  Ship sales at 4 pm.  You select your preference and it assigns you to a sub group within that  time range.  We are early  group A -- 11 30 to 11 45.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassettMom said:

I really, really hate typing on my phone using a really tiny screen with fat fingers, and as a touch-typist, 

I have the same problem trying to type on my phone.  I bought a stick with a rubber end at the Dollar Store, it makes easy to use now.

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Had the same experience for one of our booked cruises Sept '22).  Try accessing the app with booking number and your wife's name and DOB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassettMom said:

I really, really hate typing on my phone using a really tiny screen with fat fingers, and as a touch-typist, I generally do everything on the computer and not on my phone (I might read emails on my phone, but unless it requires an immediate, and short, reply, I'll wait till I get on a computer to type a response).  Does anyone know if the app can be downloaded and used on my computer and not on my phone? 

I'm in that same crowd as you regarding the tiny screen and keyboard. I learned touch typing (I guess it's called "keyboarding" in recent years) in high school and that's what I use to this day. My smart phone is for texting, phone calls, quick answers to emails and some apps (bank app, etc.), otherwise, my PC is where I do the important stuff. That said, a week or so ago someone on this board mentioned a Windows 10 feature called "Your Phone" that allows you to connect your PC to your supported phone and receive notifications, phone calls, text messages and also access apps on the phone. Unfortunately, my smart phone is old enough that it supports all the Your Phone features except the apps function but if yours does support it, you might want to try it. Others on this board have used it successfully.

Here's a link to Microsoft's Your Phone setup page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/your-phone-app-requirements-and-set-up-cd2a1ee7-75a7-66a6-9d4e-bf22e735f9e3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I have the same problem trying to type on my phone.  I bought a stick with a rubber end at the Dollar Store, it makes easy to use now.

Except that I can type 120+ words a minute on a keyboard compared to hunting and pecking and hitting one letter at a time with my finger or a stylus pen--not just waaaaay tooo slow but extremely frustrating and stressful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

I see on the Apple Store, they released another new version today (bug fixes)

I saw same in Play Store and hit UPDATE.  I don't see any visible changes and things still work for me.  I do not see anything done to fix and improve DineMyWay  

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

I'm in that same crowd as you regarding the tiny screen and keyboard. I learned touch typing (I guess it's called "keyboarding" in recent years) in high school and that's what I use to this day.

Typing was the most useful skill I learned in high school. At work it was an invaluable skill. I can't type very well if I have to look at the keyboard. It normally just flows out of the fingers.

3 minutes ago, BassettMom said:

Except that I can type 120+ words a minute on a keyboard compared to hunting and pecking and hitting one letter at a time with my finger or a stylus pen--not just waaaaay tooo slow but extremely frustrating and stressful.

I never got to that sort of speed but, when it comes to typing on a phone screen, I bet you have smaller thumbs than I have.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

I'm in that same crowd as you regarding the tiny screen and keyboard. I learned touch typing (I guess it's called "keyboarding" in recent years) in high school and that's what I use to this day. My smart phone is for texting, phone calls, quick answers to emails and some apps (bank app, etc.), otherwise, my PC is where I do the important stuff. That said, a week or so ago someone on this board mentioned a Windows 10 feature called "Your Phone" that allows you to connect your PC to your supported phone and receive notifications, phone calls, text messages and also access apps on the phone. Unfortunately, my smart phone is old enough that it supports all the Your Phone features except the apps function but if yours does support it, you might want to try it. Others on this board have used it successfully.

Here's a link to Microsoft's Your Phone setup page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/your-phone-app-requirements-and-set-up-cd2a1ee7-75a7-66a6-9d4e-bf22e735f9e3

The point is that before, I just went to the website and added everything all in one place.  Now, I have to use a website AND an app AND set up something new on my computer to give my computer access to my phone so I can check in.  I'm not convinced that giving my computer access to my phone or my phone access to my computer is something I really want to do, or if it is even safe in terms of hacking (and I'm not smart enough to know). 

In any case, thanks for letting me know--it's worth taking a look at.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Typing was the most useful skill I learned in high school. At work it was an invaluable skill. I can't type very well if I have to look at the keyboard. It normally just flows out of the fingers.

I never got to that sort of speed but, when it comes to typing on a phone screen, I bet you have smaller thumbs than I have.

Agree--I have no idea where the letters are; my fingers just move as I think.  Thumbs don't matter in my case; I hold the phone with my left hand, and hit letters with my right index finger (or a stylus).  Yeah, I'm old (lol).

4 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

I'm also having problems with our July/August 2022 cruises with the Travel Documents section. These are our first cruises to Europe since the restart. Are there any new travel requirements for European travel I'm not aware of?

Well, this may explain my issue with the Travel Documents section. The is from the Princess FAQ page in the table in the Visas section. Under the Traveling to: Schengen Agreement Countries is this:

Effective January 1, 2021, visitors from countries that do not requiring a Schengen visa, including U.S. and Canadian passport holders, will be required to obtain a travel authorization via the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) prior to their travel. Details about obtaining an ETIAS are expected to be released soon. 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

You can't apply for the ETIAS authorization until 2023 according to the ETIAS website, so I'll just have to wait for this to get sorted out.

4 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

Well, this may explain my issue with the Travel Documents section. The is from the Princess FAQ page in the table in the Visas section. Under the Traveling to: Schengen Agreement Countries is this:

Effective January 1, 2021, visitors from countries that do not requiring a Schengen visa, including U.S. and Canadian passport holders, will be required to obtain a travel authorization via the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) prior to their travel. Details about obtaining an ETIAS are expected to be released soon. 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

You can't apply for the ETIAS authorization until 2023 according to the ETIAS website, so I'll just have to wait for this to get sorted out.

I doubt the ETIAS is your issue.  But you didn't state what your problems are in Travel Documents.

32 minutes ago, BassettMom said:

Have you considered a blue tooth keyboard? I have been using one with my iPhone for a couple of years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1