New CDC Guidance for vaccinated travelers (CSO)

lizord

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Time will tell but really, it is simple math. Demand for covid vaccines has dropped. If the trend continues, not enough people will be vaccinated. Many mass vaccination sites have closed up shop 

Herd immunity is about immunity, not vaccination.

Immunity is also acquired by recovering from Covid and 27 million+  have (and that's only the recorded ones) according to Worldometer. 

Obviously there's some overlap, but the 60% or so currently vaccinated in the US, combined with the recovered? We're very close to the sharp decline in cases we've been hoping for.  

CDC is reporting cases down 23% from last week btw

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jedi bobs said:

They are not alowed to ask for it in Flordia, or face a 5000 fine per person fine.

I am not sure that is actually constitutional.  We'll determine that once vaccinated cruises start sailing from other ports.  They don't have to ask for it.  They can ask for approval to confirm vaccination.  If the person says no then they can cancel their cruise.  Most people will asked for the approval first and then their vaccination will be verified when you buy your tickets.  

3 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Herd immunity is about immunity, not vaccination.

Immunity is also acquired by recovering from Covid and 27 million+  have (and that's only the recorded ones) according to Worldometer. 

Obviously there's some overlap, but the 60% or so currently vaccinated in the US, combined with the recovered? We're very close to the sharp decline in cases we've been hoping for.  

CDC is reporting cases down 23% from last week btw

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Herd immunity is the goal. Vaccination is a method. Surviving covid could also be a method. Over 600,000 in the US (3 million people worldwide) have not. Vaccination is recommended for those who survived covid. Variants could be a spoiler.

Yes, cases and deaths are dropping in the US and that is great, but the US has miles to go. It does help provide the scientific data that the CDC needs to relax some of the restrictions (like masks), but it is still baby steps, not russian roulette favored by some. Open up a little, wait to see if there is a spike or not, try the next step. If bad things happen, undo the last changes and not necessarily everything.

But is still a pandemic an not all countries are doing great - especially India and Brazil. That increases the chances for variants.

7 hours ago, cscurlock said:

I am not sure that is actually constitutional.  We'll determine that once vaccinated cruises start sailing from other ports.  They don't have to ask for it.  They can ask for approval to confirm vaccination.  If the person says no then they can cancel their cruise.  Most people will asked for the approval first and then their vaccination will be verified when you buy your tickets.  

I truly can't see them being able to verify vaccinations other than the paper cards.  I see you are in Orlando, and I have friends there whose experience was totally different than here in Brevard.  In Brevard I wasn't even asked for ID at the DOH vaccination site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

I truly can't see them being able to verify vaccinations other than the paper cards.  I see you are in Orlando, and I have friends there whose experience was totally different than here in Brevard.  In Brevard I wasn't even asked for ID at the DOH vaccination site.

This morning I read in Florida Today (a USA Today piece) that lying is expected to be a significant event (people claiming they have been vaccinated when they haven't) - as there's really no method to truly check, and most places are not asking/checking anyway. 

I was in the Pulbix on US1 yesterday, and I'd say that the number of people without masks was roughly equal to the local reported vaccinated percentage. Obviously not statistically significant !

Tom

3 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Unless or so means 40%, I think your sources are wrong.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-fully-vaccinated-covid

Here's a cut/paste from the Washington Post (though it's tracking people who are both partially and fully vaccinated):

157.5 million vaccinatedThe number of people who have received at least one dose of the vaccine,
covering 56.2% of the eligible population, 12 and older
and 47.4% of the total population.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Unless or so means 40%, I think your sources are wrong.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-fully-vaccinated-covid

My source is the CDC 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

59.7%

That's pretty close to 60

BTW- "at least one dose" provides some immunity.

Immunity makes herd immunity.  And immunity doesn't need to come from only vaccination, or only full vaccination.

I swear, some people won't be satisfied until there's zero Covid, and want rolling lockdowns through all of eternity.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

My source is the CDC 

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

59.7%

That's pretty close to 60

That's adults 18 years old and up.

That same page states:

% of Total Population, at least one dose: 47.3%

Nonetheless, it is a good sign, and I agree there is some percent of the population that has "natural immunity from exposure/infection", and with that element, we are possibly within a horseshoe throw of "herd immunity".

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

That's adults 18 years old and up.

That same page states:

% of Total Population, at least one dose: 47.3%

Nonetheless, it is a good sign, and I agree there is some percent of the population that has "natural immunity from exposure/infection", and with that element, we are possibly within a horseshoe throw of "herd immunity".

Oh my.  

I didn't include total population because vaccines aren't approved for the total population. I'd think that was obvious, and didn't make my source wrong.

All the quantifiers that are required when you break from the "vaccination is the only way" narrative...

I'm glad you at least can see that it's not all doom and gloom. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Currently, an app is being designed for the smart phone. At this time, your vaccination card is what is accepted. I would think it would always be accepted, especially for those that do not have a smart phone. Not everyone does. We had our vaccination cards laminated to protect them from damage.

I got nothin when i got my first shot so i asked my pharmacist if we get a card and his response was laughter and "This is Canada" 😳

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I was in the Pulbix on US1 yesterday, and I'd say that the number of people without masks was roughly equal to the local reported vaccinated percentage. Obviously not statistically significant !

Tom

Interesting.  I went to Publix yesterday morning as well.  I would say 75% or more in my Publix were wearing masks.  There were quite a few getting vaccinated in the pharmacy.

7 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Interesting.  I went to Publix yesterday morning as well.  I would say 75% or more in my Publix were wearing masks.  There were quite a few getting vaccinated in the pharmacy.

Ah - you guys are lucky (that your Publix has a pharmacy). I understand "we're" getting an upgrade on US1 - it'll be closed nearly a year - but a pharmacy and liquor store are being added. Who needs anything else? lol

Tom

3 hours ago, balcony bound said:

This was happening in Volusia County early on also. They were just giving the shot and a Vaccination card with a sticker. You were to fill your own name out. 

I was in Publix yesterday, as I have done for the last 12 months , I walked in with my mask.. met a neighbor who was maskless, he let me know that they recently changed their policy on mask.. it was awesome not having it on any longer !

this nightmare is coming to an end.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bitemyfly said:

I was in Publix yesterday, as I have done for the last 12 months , I walked in with my mask.. met a neighbor who was maskless, he let me know that they recently changed their policy on mask.. it was awesome not having it on any longer !

this nightmare is coming to an end.. 

Same in Walmart and Sam's in Orlando yesterday. At Sam's they had a sign up that said please wear a mask if not vaccinated, but no one was checking anything.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Oh my.  

I didn't include total population because vaccines aren't approved for the total population. I'd think that was obvious, and didn't make my source wrong.

All the quantifiers that are required when you break from the "vaccination is the only way" narrative...

I'm glad you at least can see that it's not all doom and gloom. 

Herd immunity isn't influenced by what portion of the community can't get vaccinated.  So you have to include all of the population when making an assessment.

If those under 18 (or actually, under 12 now) cannot get infected, and that's why they shouldn't get vaccinated, then it would make sense to exclude them.  But for now, they should be included in any calculations regarding percentages related to herd immunity targets.

1 minute ago, asalligo said:

Same in Walmart and Sam's in Orlando yesterday. At Sam's they had a sign up that said please wear a mask if not vaccinated, but no one was checking anything.  

I'll bet one (mental contortion) that those not vaccinated for COVID19 will go through is this:

"The sign says you don't need a mask if you've been vaccinated. Heck honey, I got vaccinated lots of times as a kid - I'M GOOD"!  😉

Tom

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

I got nothin when i got my first shot so i asked my pharmacist if we get a card and his response was laughter and "This is Canada" 😳

So how will you travel internationally, once things open up?

Many countries now allow vaccinated folks to enter without proof of a negative test.  This is going to force you to get tested, regardless of vaccinations, if you have no "proof".

And I find it ironic that the US CDC lets the fully vaccinated fly out of the country without getting a COVID test if the destination country allows it, but the US itself still requires a negative test for entry regardless of vaccination status.

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'll bet one (mental contortion) that those not vaccinated for COVID19 will go through is this:

"The sign says you don't need a mask if you've been vaccinated. Heck honey, I got vaccinated lots of times as a kid - I'M GOOD"!  😉

Tom

LOL, I saw a person ask as he walked in yesterday. "So, you don't have to wear a mask if you are vaccinated?" The greeter said "That's correct sir." and in he went, he never said he was vaccinated, he only asked a question. 

Last year my doctor said "Have you had a recent Tetanus shot?" I said "Yes, I just got one!". Then my wife says, "He got one in 1994!". In Geology terms that is very recent! Have to stop taking her with me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I went into my local Publix on Saturday afternoon (i.e. the day after their head office announced they would no longer require vaxxed folks to mask up), and everyone was wearing a mark, and they still had all the same signage as previous.  So I masked up, figuring that maybe the local store had decided to implement their own policy to continuing masking up for some reason or another.  While checking out I asked the bagger about their mask policy, and the response was:

If you are vaccinated, you don't need to wear a mask.  And because they can't ask for proof, they cannot challenge anyone not wearing a mask.

So I said, well, I'm fully vaccinated, so I will then take off my mask (and I did so).  He looked very uncomfortable at that statement/action.

We went out clothes shopping to other places the next day, and most places still required you to wear a mask.  Dunno if they haven't got guidance from corporate/owners yet, or the stores are just letting it roll.  Most places still have their changing rooms closed, for example.  One store said that a different location of that chain had tried to open up their changing rooms, and "it didn't go well" so they shut it down again.

A lot of hygiene theater continuing for now, so it's gonna be weird for a while.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

He should have said this is Alberta.

Other provinces are getting cards. Mine has a QR code.

3 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

A lot of hygiene theater continuing for now, so it's gonna be weird for a while.

When I go to my local Planet Fitness, in between songs they've got loads of announcements (have for a year) over the speakers - all pertaining to washing your hands, wiping down equipment (before and after use), etc -- but nothing about masks, save the sign on the front door. Their policy was always to wear a mask while not working out/between machines. Uh huh - I'd say they never had much more than 50% compliance, even at its peak.

Tom

I look forward to the day I can go to our local grocery store and not have to wear the stupid mask.  I am fully vaccinated, but couldn't care less if the unvaccinated wear a mask or not.  I can protect myself.  

I have two very high risk relatives who were able to make it through the pandemic without getting covid.  They are both fully vaccinated.  They did not depend on the actions of others to protect themselves.  They knew to isolate and not rely on people wearing masks.  Nor did they whine and cry that people who don't wear masks  could kill them.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3