Updated Mask Guidance from CDC

elcuchio24

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I see people  driving cars alone with masks on.  I see people trying to walk outside with no one even 30 feet away wearing masks. 

Some people prefer to leave them on if making frequent stops, vs taking them off and putting them back on.

I put on my mask crossing the parking lot to go into my workplace because I can't be bothered to put it in a pocket to retrieve it just as I get to the door - I just put it on as I get out of my vehicle.

And some people wear masks all day long and frankly don't even notice they have left them on.

People have reasons, it is dangerous to assume.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

and last week they said we have minimal evidence but need more research to be done.

Please point out where it says there is "minimal evidence".  I don't see that phrase.

Knowing that masks work, vs understanding why they work, and how different masks designs have different effectiveness, are two separate concepts.  Further study is warranted in almost any field of science - there is always something more to learn.

I know that if I drop a cannon ball (while located on the surface of a large mass such as the Earth, for those that want to be pedantic) it will hit the ground.  I don't need to know why to avoid dropping it on something fragile like my toes. 

10 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Please point out where it says there is "minimal evidence".  I don't see that phrase.

Knowing that masks work, vs understanding why they work, and how different masks designs have different effectiveness, are two separate concepts.  Further study is warranted in almost any field of science - there is always something more to learn.

I know that if I drop a cannon ball (while located on the surface of a large mass such as the Earth, for those that want to be pedantic) it will hit the ground.  I don't need to know why to avoid dropping it on something fragile like my toes. 

Just ignore the charlatan. Best not to engage with them, as anything they say is disingenuous. Some people just want to see the world burn. Others just want to go on vacation. I'm in the latter. 🍹

• Like 2

Sheesh.  The vitriol here about masks is absurd.  A few thoughts.

For the people that are still arguing about masks...  CoVid is a respiratory virus.   Since the dawn of times masks of any kind have helped to prevent AIRBORNE VIRUSES.  It is the most rudimentary way to stop airborne particles but has shown to be effective.  It helps all parties to wear one which is many did. 

Also does anyone here know anybody that works in a hospital?  All these people that are all about my body, my choice, somebody has to take care of you when you get sick.   At my wife's hospital some of her fellow nurses are cancer survivors and throughout this pandemic the hospital has done their best to steer them away from taking those patients.  Keep in mind my wife works in the dang women's center that normally delivers babies, but through this they have had halls down opposite wings with CoVid patients! 

And speaking of babies and kids.   Your contribution to not getting vaccinated contributes to future variants.   I know there are retirees here that have heard of polio and god forbid we have a variant that starts targeting kids like this virus did.   There is a reason Mitch McConnell above most on his side has worn a mask through this.  He had Polio as a kid and almost died.  The virus left him almost crippled as a result.

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bamaone said:

Why does anybody care if someone is not vaccinated? It has nothing to do with those that are vaccinated. If you’re vaccinated you’re good. You’re safe. You’re protected. You won’t get sick and die. Those who choose not to get vaccinated know the possible consequences and accept those consequences. It should not even be a discussion. It won’t affect anyone else’s  vacation in any way. This thing is ending. Let’s complain chair hogs. 

Wrong ..... it won’t affect anyone else’s vacation in any way you say? Says who, you? What happens to an entire cruise ship full of people when there’s a Covid outbreak among non-vaccinated guests and they get really sick? Does Carnival just keep sailing along and say oh well or is there a point where the ship has to reroute or cancel and turn back thus affecting everyone? Cruise over? So yeah, saying what happens to unvaccinated passengers and how it can affect those who are is plain wrong. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

A little common sense goes a long way.  If the vaccines work, then masks shouldn't be required for people who are vaccinated.  If I can lounge by the pool on a cruise ship without wearing a mask, see a theater show without a mask, and enjoy a meal without a mask, then I don't have a huge issue with wearing a stupid mask going to and from places.   I think no masks should be required inside or out on vaccinated cruises though.

The risk of catching the virus on a vaccinated-only cruise where everyone was tested before boarding comes nowhere near the risk of catching the virus with untested and unvaccinated people traveling on a plane or even at an amusement park.  

It's good to see the CDC finally coming around to common sense.

Your last sentence says it all, and that's exactly what I was saying when I said it is ridiculous to think pax would have to put on take off masks while eating/drinking.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Wrong ..... it won’t affect anyone else’s vacation in any way you say? Says who, you? What happens to an entire cruise ship full of people when there’s a Covid outbreak among non-vaccinated guests and they get really sick? Does Carnival just keep sailing along and say oh well or is there a point where the ship has to reroute or cancel and turn back thus affecting everyone? Cruise over? So yeah, saying what happens to unvaccinated passengers and how it can affect those who are is plain wrong. 

That was before a vaccine. Nice try though. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Knowing that masks work, vs understanding why they work, and how different masks designs have different effectiveness, are two separate concepts.  Further study is warranted in almost any field of science - there is always something more to learn

The CDC literally said last week that the large droplets fall out of the air rather quickly and the aerosol particles are the larger concern. The mask does nothing for aerosol. Now we are suddenly dropping the mandate. Correlation?

Sure the mask "helps" but this is essentially an admission that it was pointless. Without having social media and the news blast this in people's face, many cannot put 2 and 2 together.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bamaone said:

That was before a vaccine. Nice try though. 

Before a vaccine? Where did you read that Carnival can’t or won’t cancel or reroute a cruise because of severely ill unvaccinated passengers who may contract Covid on a cruise? You didn’t .... It can affect everyone’s cruise even those who are vaccinated  ..... Comprehension is obviously not your strong suit .... you have no idea what you’re talking about. Weak response .

Edited by tallnthensome

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Before a vaccine? Where did you read that Carnival can’t or won’t cancel or reroute a cruise because of severely ill unvaccinated passengers who may contract Covid on a cruise? You didn’t .... It can affect everyone’s cruise even TV use who are vaccinated  ..... Comprehension is obviously not your strong suit .... you have no idea what you’re talking about. Weak response .

I understand where you’re coming from. You’re scared. But everything’s going to be ok. Wait until a few cruises are over and you’ll feel safer. Then you’ll see that l am right. 

Edited by bamaone
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Before a vaccine? Where did you read that Carnival can’t or won’t cancel or reroute a cruise because of severely ill unvaccinated passengers who may contract Covid on a cruise? You didn’t .... It can affect everyone’s cruise even those who are vaccinated  ..... Comprehension is obviously not your strong suit .... you have no idea what you’re talking about. Weak response .

The rarity of a breakout with all the protocols in place now is nothing to worry about. Put your worries aside and enjoy cruising. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

The rarity of a breakout with all the protocols in place now is nothing to worry about. Put your worries aside and enjoy cruising. 

15 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

16 minutes ago, bamaone said:

I understand where you’re coming from. You’re scared. But everything’s going to be ok. Wait until a few cruises are over and you’ll feel safer. Then you’ll see that l am right. 

First you say that what happens to an unvaccinated passenger has no affect on those who are . Then you say I was wrong. Now you say you see where I am coming from . You know why? Because I am right . I am not worried about Covid. Many are worried that those who were too scared to get vaccinated will become very ill thus requiring a rerouted ship or cancelled cruise ruining it for so many who did get vaccinated and waited a long time for a restart . You can’t make any claim I am wrong because it can happen. Your claims were simply false .... period. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

I agree that is probably the case, if the majority of cruisers are vaxxed, and everyone plays by the rules of those protocols, based on my lack of epidemiological studies.

But that's just it - I'm not an expert.  I also don't trust everyone to do the right thing.  Most people, on average, will.  But it is almost a guarantee that someone won't.

If the cruise line can't check for vax status, and over 50% of a particular cruise is non-vaxxed (because random groups of populations rarely match the overall average distributions), and someone carries it onboard, and no-one wears masks because everyone assumes everyone else is fully vaxxed, what are the likely implications?

It isn't that I think every cruise will be a headline-maker, but it only takes one...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

First you say that what happens to an unvaccinated passenger has no affect on those who are . Then you say I was wrong. Now you say you see where I am coming from . You know why? Because I am right . I am not worried about Covid. Many are worried that those who were too scared to get vaccinated will become ill thus requiring a rerouted ship or cancelled cruise ruining it for so many who did get vaccinated and waited a long time for a restart . You can’t make any claim I am wrong because it can happen. Your claims were simply false .... period. 

Like I already posted, wait until a few cruises are over and you will see that I am correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moviela said:

Starting tomorrow I will only put on two socks in the morning and the one for my face will be retired along with my baseball mitt, as items I will never use again.

They are actually great for dusting 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

First you say that what happens to an unvaccinated passenger has no affect on those who are . Then you say I was wrong. Now you say you see where I am coming from . You know why? Because I am right . I am not worried about Covid. Many are worried that those who were too scared to get vaccinated will become ill thus requiring a rerouted ship or cancelled cruise ruining it for so many who did get vaccinated and waited a long time for a restart . You can’t make any claim I am wrong because it can happen. Your claims were simply false .... period. 

Don't feed the kool aid drinkers.  Waste of time.  I am hoping that they split the cruises into vaccinated and non vaccinated and then these people can go on whatever applies to them.  Then everyone can be happy.  Once an outbreak occurs and the whole ship gets quarantined we will see how they feel.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

Baseball mitts, or socks?

Socks I can see, but big leathery mitts?

Oh...

😉

The masks....I use them to clean the inside of my car, dusting at the house and to clean my glasses in a pinch.  I needed to blow my nose the other day too and.....  lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You can try to spin the truth however you want the point is the cdc and Fauci have changed stances on masks multiple times. Now they are looking for a way out of all the lies. 

Mask up if you want.. normal people won't be doing it anymore though.

Btw adding ridiculous statements at the end of your comment doesn't convince anyone.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jperry2011 said:

You can try to spin the truth however you want the point is the cdc and Fauci have changed stances on masks multiple times. Now they are looking for a way out of all the lies. 

Changing recommendations based on new information seems appropriate to me. This is the government we're talking about here - so don't expect perfection!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tkportersat said:

The masks....I use them to clean the inside of my car, dusting at the house and to clean my glasses in a pinch.  I needed to blow my nose the other day too and.....  lol

I got a case of 1000 in the garage. I can send them your way on the cheap. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I got a case of 1000 in the garage. I can send them your way on the cheap. 😁

I have plenty, my husband is in sales and had a whole box for a trade show that was cancelled.  Only good thing is they are made in the USA.  So there's that 🙄

6 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Changing recommendations based on new information seems appropriate to me. This is the government we're talking about here - so don't expect perfection!

Tom

I do expect alot better than what we've been getting recently when the government is trying to force people to wear around a face diaper. Get real.

• Like 1