Alaska Cruises to Begin in July

ProfMHC

35 minutes ago, voljeep said:

sorry - source of above - MSN - The Points Guy

Orlando Sentinel has it too:  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-florida-vs-cdc-cruise-lawsuit-alaska-wrinkle-20210603-flm3ng54cngabowbdbug7f43yy-story.html .  And my feelings about this aren't suitable for sharing in a public forum.

2 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Thanks,    can you post something on this topic when you find out what some of those new rules will be (I don't currently use a TA)

Will do.  If someone doesn't beat me to it.  A lot of us are very interested in this topic so I have no doubt that the news will hit CC soon after the webinar.

2 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Thanks,    can you post something on this topic when you find out what some of those new rules will be (I don't currently use a TA)

You can watch live on Facebook if interested:

John Chernesky | Facebook

You don't have to be a TA...although the majority of his followers are!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Orlando Sentinel has it too:  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-florida-vs-cdc-cruise-lawsuit-alaska-wrinkle-20210603-flm3ng54cngabowbdbug7f43yy-story.html .  And my feelings about this aren't suitable for sharing in a public forum.

Well I'll share mine. What the he!! 🤬  little man syndrome!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

See post #56 of this thread for the slides discussing the risk assessment and health questions process:  

John did say that the WHO and FDA approved vaccines will the ones acceptable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

See post #56 of this thread for the slides discussing the risk assessment and health questions process:  

John did say that the WHO and FDA approved vaccines will the ones acceptable.

This is the 2nd time he has commented on WHO vaccines being accepted.  
Looking more positive.   We sail in August as a trial cruise with our grandkids.  Fingers still crossed until we are on board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kiwimum said:

This is the 2nd time he has commented on WHO vaccines being accepted.  
Looking more positive.   We sail in August as a trial cruise with our grandkids.  Fingers still crossed until we are on board.

Yes!  I actually signed up for the webinar in advance even though I'm not a TA.  I submitted a question in advance about taking into account folks who are in clinical trials such as AZ and Novavax when they publish what they need from passengers to support proof of vaccinations.  He didn't address that but I am hoping that he has passed that along to the decisionmakers.

• Like 1

Cruising in Alaska for the 2021 season maybe in trouble?

In an update from the Florida’s Gov. Office on late Thursday, a mediator appointed to the lawsuit between Florida and the CDC declared an impasse. A compromise between the two was not reached

If Florida wins an injunction blocking the CDC order, it would “end cruising in Alaska for the season,” lawyers for the agency say because the bill pushed by Alaska’s Republican congressional delegation hinges on the CDC order being in effect. Several cruise lines (including Princess) have announced plans to sail to Alaska with vaccinated crew members and passengers starting in a few weeks.  John

Yikes that would be sad for those  hoping to finally cruise to Alaska as well.  

Posters on The NCL boards report all kinds of confusion over the Alaska cruises. But I haven’t read this. 

2 hours ago, John99 said:

Cruising in Alaska for the 2021 season maybe in trouble?

In an update from the Florida’s Gov. Office on late Thursday, a mediator appointed to the lawsuit between Florida and the CDC declared an impasse. A compromise between the two was not reached

If Florida wins an injunction blocking the CDC order, it would “end cruising in Alaska for the season,” lawyers for the agency say because the bill pushed by Alaska’s Republican congressional delegation hinges on the CDC order being in effect. Several cruise lines (including Princess) have announced plans to sail to Alaska with vaccinated crew members and passengers starting in a few weeks.  John

On 6/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, voljeep said:

Florida’s lawsuit, pushed by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, is seeking to have the Conditional Sailing Order deemed unlawful. If that happens, the federal attorneys are arguing that cruising in Alaska this summer cannot proceed.

The law signed by President Biden — the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act — temporarily permits “covered cruise ships” to sail in Alaska this summer, where a “covered cruise ship” is defined as one that “has been issued, operates in accordance with and retains a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate of the CDC” and operates in accordance with that certificate, the CDC noted in its filing.

In other words, the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act only allows for a cruising restart in Alaska this summer if the ships involved get a Conditional Sailing Certificate from the CDC. If the CDC’s Conditional Sailing Order is deemed unlawful, that won’t be happening.

Of course, there's nothing preventing the CDC from issuing a different CSO.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Additionally according to the latest webinar the '100% vax' requirement is bc of Alaska & Washington State.  I'm just hoping Florida is 75% with at least 1 shot before I go there for my Dec 9th cruise and that the 100% (really 95% with 5% exceptions) holds. I'm not concerned about getting it, I'm concerned about returning to point of origin early 

1 hour ago, ebeluga said:

Haha either side could file an appeal if they don't like the verdict, Alaska cruises go on!  Nov 1st would come, before all the legal proceedings are over.

just let all the ships sail around the politicians while they argue.  Better yet put them on a ship and send them to sea to argue with no FOOD.  ha ha

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Of course, there's nothing preventing the CDC from issuing a different CSO.  

The entire arguement of Florida is that the CDC has no power to regulate the cruise industry. So technically if they were to lose, they would not be able to issue another CSO.

Of course the cruise lines could voluntarily comply with the existing CSO.

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Additionally according to the latest webinar the '100% vax' requirement is bc of Alaska & Washington State.  I'm just hoping Florida is 75% with at least 1 shot before I go there for my Dec 9th cruise and that the 100% (really 95% with 5% exceptions) holds. I'm not concerned about getting it, I'm concerned about returning to point of origin early 

Keep in mind that the vaccination rate in Alaska is less than 50% and not moving very quickly.

When the Alaska season ends in September, it will be time to restart the California to Hawaii cruises.   It’s all very quite on that front.  I hope princess is working behind the scene.  While I am sure they want to keep their ships busy after the Alaska season, I think the Hawaii run may be a bit of an after thought at this point for Princess.

35 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

When the Alaska season ends in September, it will be time to restart the California to Hawaii cruises.   It’s all very quite on that front.  I hope princess is working behind the scene.  While I am sure they want to keep their ships busy after the Alaska season, I think the Hawaii run may be a bit of an after thought at this point for Princess.

What makes you think that?  Canada has issues that impact cruising.  For now, trips to Hawaii only have a stop in Mexico and the balance is US.  Hawaii looks to progressing to a better situation weekly, so other than trip duration, it's pretty basic.  If anything AK should clear the way for an even smoother Hawaii itinerary, etc.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

What makes you think that?  Canada has issues that impact cruising.  For now, trips to Hawaii only have a stop in Mexico and the balance is US.  Hawaii looks to progressing to a better situation weekly, so other than trip duration, it's pretty basic.  If anything AK should clear the way for an even smoother Hawaii itinerary, etc.

I agree with you Hawaii should be very doable, perhaps with just a technical stop in Mexico.  It’s just that Princess is pretty darn quiet about Hawaii.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

I agree with you Hawaii should be very doable, perhaps with just a technical stop in Mexico.  It’s just that Princess is pretty darn quiet about Hawaii.

For one thing, no California Ports are open yet, and I haven't heard a peep about them opening.  Then there is the CDC seven day limit.  I think that Princess has been pretty smart through this. They are keeping quiet until things settle down.  They aren't making promises based on facts that change constantly as more information comes in.  I think that behind the scenes, Princess has plans that can be put to work when things settle down.

That being said, we have a December cruise to Hawaii that I am hoping happens.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Like 3