FDR-38million dollar man

zoncom

He gets the money and we get the shaft. So far he has cancelled 3 of my cruises, including the 2021 WC which had the best itin yet. Other lines are cruising Caribbean; why not O?

You will get little sympathy from people on this board.   I have had 5 cruises cancelled. Embargo of Cuba and COVID -- you would think Oceania would go to places that are against the law or in a Pandemic.   Maybe Oceania should do a Yellow fever or Ebola cruise.  Should get a lot of passengers.

At least I received my money back, unlike some cruise lines.

Edited by PaulMCO

The pandemic and the more than one year long shut down of virtually all cruising certainly aren't FDR's fault, but the NCLH board of directors just got slapped upside the head when 83% of NCLH's shareholders voted against approving FDR's 2020 compensation . While the vote isn't binding on the board it backs them into a corner and if they don't do something about it they could be at risk of being voted off the board when they are up for reelection.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article251692728.html

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/05/articles/executives/shareholders-to-ceo-del-rio-thumbs-down-to-36400000-compensation/

Personally I find his compensation package to be totally inappropriate for a year in which the company lost billions of dollars and laid off thousands of employees. The Royal Caribbean and Carnival boards chose to not award bonuses to their senior executives for 2020.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guess I'm on the side that thinks FDR deserves his compensation.  It's not his fault the company took a bit financial hit and laid off employees.  From my rose-colored glasses perspective, his steady and focused management during the crisis should be commended.  His leadership of NCHL avoided bankruptcy and put the company, including Oceania, in a strong position for the recovery of cruising.

But that's JMHO.

I understand zoncom's frustration when O cancels your cruise with absolutely no explanation as to the reason why. On May 26 when the resumption of sailing dates were announced all the previously announced cruises on Sirena in Oct. Nov. Dec. and Jan. were cancelled, including mine Dec. 12, and the new sail date for Sirena is to be Jan. 22, 2022 on a most bizarre Miami-Panama City cruise. No reason given. I had only booked it 2 weeks prior and then it was gone. They will just refund my deposit without offering to find an alternative. 

I have booked a substitute cruise on Celebrity, a 10 day from Tampa going to most of the same ports for half the price of what the Sirena cruise would have been. I'm very disappointed in the way O handled the Sirena cancellations especially after they had just announced  on April 28 resumption of sailing. O gets our hopes up and then crashes down on them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Guess I'm on the side that thinks FDR deserves his compensation.  It's not his fault the company took a bit financial hit and laid off employees.  From my rose-colored glasses perspective, his steady and focused management during the crisis should be commended.  His leadership of NCHL avoided bankruptcy and put the company, including Oceania, in a strong position for the recovery of cruising.

But that's JMHO.

The same can be said of the work and management skills of the Carnival and Royal Caribbean CEOs, who lead much larger companies than NCLH. Those CEOs did not receive the bonuses FDR did as they and their boards of directors did not deem those bonuses appropriate in a year of multi-billion dollar losses and the lay off of thousands and thousands of their employees. 

There's a real question of ethics and moral compass here, not to mention fiscal management, as well as atrocious optics.

• Like 3

I managed a major department and then the entire fiscal operation of a law school for 30 years.  My job was incredibly harder in the down years when the State was cutting our budget – that's when execs really earn their pay.  The boom years were a piece of cake.  FDR deserves his pay for keeping NCLH afloat through this crisis.  So do the other cruise lines' CEOs.  The reason for denying the bonuses is PR, not fairness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

But that's JMHO.

I think he is  the best money  can buy in the cruise industry and then some.  Does a great job. we need more of him. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I managed a major department and then the entire fiscal operation of a law school for 30 years.  My job was incredibly harder in the down years when the State was cutting our budget – that's when execs really earn their pay.  The boom years were a piece of cake.  FDR deserves his pay for keeping NCLH afloat through this crisis.  So do the other cruise lines' CEOs.  The reason for denying the bonuses is PR, not fairness.

I have seemed to notice that most of the ladies here and other boards seem to have a crush on you. Now I know why. Stable and sensible. Mrs. Jazz picked a good one.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I have seemed to notice that most of the ladies here and other boards seem to have a crush on you. Now I know why. Stable and sensible. Mrs. Jazz picked a good one.

[is there an emoji for 'blushing'?]  Thank you TrulyBlonde, but I feel that I got the better part of the bargain with Mrs. Jazz [aka Jazzbelle]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

On May 26 when the resumption of sailing dates were announced all the previously announced cruises on Sirena in Oct. Nov. Dec. and Jan. were cancelled, including mine Dec. 12, and the new sail date for Sirena is to be Jan. 22, 2022 on a most bizarre Miami-Panama City cruise. No reason given.

Apart from the obvious difficulties in recommencing Global tourism half way through a pandemic, what other reasons did you want ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

NCLH is not sailing yet!

They are still hemorrhaging cash. Hopefully they will stay afloat, but it’s still not a given.

They will continue bleeding cash for quite a while.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

NCLH is not sailing yet!

They are still hemorrhaging cash. Hopefully they will stay afloat, but it’s still not a given.

They will continue bleeding cash for quite a while.

But a year ago the Debby Downers here were sure that NCLH would be bankrupt by now.  The fact that we're having this conversation today is my proof that FDR did a great job.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The same can be said of the work and management skills of the Carnival and Royal Caribbean CEOs, who lead much larger companies than NCLH. Those CEOs did not receive the bonuses FDR did as they and their boards of directors did not deem those bonuses appropriate in a year of multi-billion dollar losses and the lay off of thousands and thousands of their employees. 

There's a real question of ethics and moral compass here, not to mention fiscal management, as well as atrocious optics.

I agree that Carnival and RCL took a different tact, but that doesn't mean they did the right thing, ethically.

To me, leadership is the core of good management.  In good times, CEOs have it easy as long as they keep their hands off the wheel and are rewarded for doing nothing because the profits are flowing.  It's the tough times brought on by external crises that leadership is needed and should be rewarded.  It's too bad neither Carnival nor RCL recognized this...but that's expected from the normal corporations which value profits over good management.

Again, it's JMHO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Apart from the obvious difficulties in recommencing Global tourism half way through a pandemic, what other reasons did you want ?

O should have never sold cabins and announced  sailing a ship if they weren't ready.  If they made a mistake and jumped the gun, they should have offered something as a gesture of apology to those affected. If we were given a reason for the abrupt cancelations  just one month after announcing the saiings we wouldn't  feel so slighted. The pandemic is mostly over in the US, this is where Sirena was sailing from. If Riviera can sail from Miami why couldn't Sirena? 

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

The pandemic is mostly over in the US, this is where Sirena was sailing from. If Riviera can sail from Miami why couldn't Sirena? 

We are probably about half way through a PANdemic due to vaccine supply shortage in the majority of countries around the World. Also large logistical problems in many.

All the cruise lines which are attempting to start back up this year are attempting to get qualified and vaccinated crew from around the world onto their ships.

Often from countries where the PANdemic is still very much in control.

This is an enormous and difficult task at this time of vaccine and vaccination delivery problems.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

We are probably about half way through a PANdemic due to vaccine supply shortage in the majority of countries around the World. Also large logistical problems in many.

All the cruise lines which are attempting to start back up this year are attempting to get qualified and vaccinated crew from around the world onto their ships.

Often from countries where the PANdemic is still very much in control.

This is an enormous and difficult task at this time of vaccine and vaccination delivery problems.

The cruise lines are bring crew here and having them vaccinated in the states if they havent had vaccine in their country..

Jancruz1

Like many others, I have been affected by cancellations and closures during the pandemic. I want to be safe.   I haven’t decided if the cruise lines that are starting to sail in June are doing the right thing. I wish them well. The time is ripe.  People are vaccinated and want to travel.  Staying home is getting boring.  Getting tired of looking at my walls.  Just need a break.  Not sure if it is the right time to sail or travel internationally.  Oceania is being prudent waiting  to resume.  By the end of August, when Marina is due to sail, Oceania will know how successful cruises did during the summer.  For now, relax, wait, and hope for a better future.  We all want the pandemic to end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Like many others, I have been affected by cancellations and closures during the pandemic. I want to be safe.   I haven’t decided if the cruise lines that are starting to sail in June are doing the right thing. I wish them well. The time is ripe.  People are vaccinated and want to travel.  Staying home is getting boring.  Getting tired of looking at my walls.  Just need a break.  Not sure if it is the right time to sail or travel internationally.  Oceania is being prudent waiting  to resume.  By the end of August, when Marina is due to sail, Oceania will know how successful cruises did during the summer.  For now, relax, wait, and hope for a better future.  We all want the pandemic to end.

I’m not sure your arguing the case in point. We’re talking a $38 million bonus. A lot of long term employees got axed to “ save” the company. What if NCLH had opted to keep most of them and hand out a smaller bonus?

I believe that during times such as this there is a lot more than just optics that are wrong when senior executives take huge bonuses while the company is hemorrhaging.

Must be in the minority . It was FDR alone that might save NCLH, everyone else was inconsequential.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Susie and I, also affected by the Sirena cancellations, are just looking for a more specific reason why the ship is starting so late.  Speaking for myself, I'm not saying it's not justified...would just like to know the bigger picture in a bit more detail than "it's due to COVID."

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, marieps said:

Susie and I, also affected by the Sirena cancellations, are just looking for a more specific reason why the ship is starting so late.  Speaking for myself, I'm not saying it's not justified...would just like to know the bigger picture in a bit more detail than "it's due to COVID."

This. ^

I like companies I do business with to be honest about why they change policies, cancel bookings, and then when the unexpected happens work with customers to make them satisfied and wanting to come back and do business with them again. As regards my December Sirena cruise cancellation, Oceania did not treat me very well. All I got was a refund of my deposit . That's it. No offer to put me on a different cruise either on Riviera or later in this winter season on Sirena. All I got was a brusque letter saying we are cancelling your cruise and refunding your deposit in 60 days. Buh bye. So I will be cruising in December, just not with Oceania.