Health & Safety Measures (US Website)

logan25

14 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

As much as I hate wearing a mask I'm really due for a cruise. I don't care to spend too much time indoors so it looks like I'll be on deck most of the time with a lot of sun block by my side.

Same here. Our last cruise was 18 months ago. Mask or no mask 😷, I don’t care. We’re both vaccinated and we just want to freaking GO already. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, kidless said:

Our cruise is not till October and much can change. Debating whether to make final payment. I’m going want to see what happens in next few weeks. Also what exactly wearing mask indoors means. 

We took the FCC for our canceled April 2020 cruise and have been canceled and rescheduled 3 times since then. Same with flights, which luckily American has been good about letting us reschedule. Probably should have gotten a refund at some point, but looked at it as a paid for vacation that we knew would eventually happen. Who knew it would take this long? My husband still thinks some protocols might change between now and October. 

As far as final payment, I'd probably do the same thing and just keep an eye on things for the next couple of week and decide then. 

Hopefully mask indoors will mean until you get to your table or seat. I've been watching how things are being handled on MSC ships in Europe, and I always see people seated without masks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Given that at least two people on a "fully jabbed" Celebrity cruise tested positive, there is no way anyone can be certain it will not happen on other cruise lines. Even MSC are not immune....

I'd say most vaccinated passengers aren't overly worried about couple positive COVID-19 tests happening, most people know it's always a possibility.  The biggest issue to me and many others is the added protocols that wouldn't be necessary if the cruise line just took the simple step of ensuring enough vaccinated passengers. I think we're also going to see more port restrictions on unvaccinated sailings in addition to a more likely chance of an actual outbreak affecting the itinerary.

• Like 4

As much as i'm ready to cruise or vacation, I can wait.

Like many have said-things can change rapidly.

This is why I've waited to book. Between airfare, hotel planning and transportation-too much money to be spent having to wear a mask all over the ship while inside. 💸 I've always said-I'll wait and see.

I respect those who do not want to or can not be vaccinated. For me it's my choice after being vaccinated to not have to wear a mask on vacation when here in the US-you don't have to. [well, at least here in the northeast].

I'm going to guess after the summer rush this mandatory mask wearing could possibly lift and then my November cruise is back on. TBD.............. Considering not one MSC ship has left a US port- everything is probably TBD right now!! 😉

• Like 1

So...I'm wondering how this will be handled for YC. Will a mask be required in Top Sail?

I don't really care about what the docs say - we all know MSC documents one thing and then in reality, once you are onboard, something completely different happens.

I'd be interested in hearing from the people on the 3 and 4 day cruises (when they finally happen) about their experiences.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

So...I'm wondering how this will be handled for YC. Will a mask be required in Top Sail?

I would hope that Yacht Club follows whatever protocol is in place for the ship.  There should be no class of service distinction on enforcement of protocols.  Ever.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I would hope that Yacht Club follows whatever protocol is in place for the ship.  There should be no class of service distinction on enforcement of protocols.  Ever.

We can agree to pleasantly disagree here 🙂

While I'm with you in theory, I will 100% welcome that distinction in this case.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

We can agree to pleasantly disagree here 🙂

While I'm with you in theory, I will 100% welcome that distinction in this case.

And I well know from my three YC sailings that MSC is not consistent on any policy or procedure.  I have been told Yes, No, and Maybe by three different YC workers on any of a number of requests.  I am just hopeful that they would never have different passenger safety rules for different levels of service.  Honestly, would you expect rules exceptions if you are flying first class?  After years of earning rewards, I don't fly coach.  And I may get perks not allowed coach passengers these days, such as booze and an actual sandwich or even a meal; but I have never been told, "Go ahead and lean your seat back during take-off, and don't feel you have to wear that silly seat belt.  It doesn't apply to FC passengers."  Safety rules should apply to all.  I agree YC has a level of entitlement that we are paying for, but I really think that entitlement should be in line with safety regulations at the time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

And I well know from my three YC sailings that MSC is not consistent on any policy or procedure.  I have been told Yes, No, and Maybe by three different YC workers on any of a number of requests.  I am just hopeful that they would never have different passenger safety rules for different levels of service.  Honestly, would you expect rules exceptions if you are flying first class?  After years of earning rewards, I don't fly coach.  And I may get perks not allowed coach passengers these days, such as booze and an actual sandwich or even a meal; but I have never been told, "Go ahead and lean your seat back during take-off, and don't feel you have to wear that silly seat belt.  It doesn't apply to FC passengers."  Safety rules should apply to all.  I agree YC has a level of entitlement that we are paying for, but I really think that entitlement should be in line with safety regulations at the time.

There are actually different rules for flying first on some airlines. On Qatar, in Q-Suites, you don't need to wear a mask because of the distancing between passengers and you are, basically, in your own little cubicle.

But I get your point - and in general agree...we're saying the same thing.

However, I'm not going to complain if I don't have to wear a mask in YC while others, not in YC do. I'm fully vaccinated, been wearing a mask for over a year, and would like to just relax on my upcoming Oct cruise.

One thing that *is* different about Top Sail is you can pretty much eat and drink constantly there...this makes the enforcement more difficult.

That being said, if the rules are to wear a mask in Top Sail, I will.

15 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

There are actually different rules for flying first on some airlines. On Qatar, in Q-Suites, you don't need to wear a mask because of the distancing between passengers and you are, basically, in your own little cubicle.

However, I'm not going to complain if I don't have to wear a mask in YC while others, not in YC do. I'm fully vaccinated, been wearing a mask for over a year, and would like to just relax on my upcoming Oct cruise.

One thing that *is* different about Top Sail is you can pretty much eat and drink constantly there...this makes the enforcement more difficult.

I appreciate your clarification. I know Qsuites allow you to unmask if in your suite, but still must be worn on embarkation, debarkation and if moving in the cabin.  Funnily enough, it should still be worn throughout the flight if coming or going directly into the U.S. I know that flight attendants are respectful of suite passengers, so I doubt they would intrude on someone isolated in a suite.

I, too, am fully vaccinated, and I still wear a mask in stores.  Personal choice, but I want to show a modicum of support to the store workers who still have to wear masks.  I agree on the food and drink in TSL, and there is room for social distancing for the most part.  I think the rules will change five or six times before I sail in December, and I'm sure they will be different again on the B2B in March.  Hopefully for  the better.

Have a safe and enjoyable cruise!

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Até said:

I'd say most vaccinated passengers aren't overly worried about couple positive COVID-19 tests happening, most people know it's always a possibility.  The biggest issue to me and many others is the added protocols that wouldn't be necessary if the cruise line just took the simple step of ensuring enough vaccinated passengers. I think we're also going to see more port restrictions on unvaccinated sailings in addition to a more likely chance of an actual outbreak affecting the itinerary.

Saw a post elsewhere earlier that claimed that there was also 8 crew members affected along with the two passengers but have not seen anything official. On the Europe sailings the itineraries have not been affected due to MSC having agreements in place with port stops to be able to take off affected passengers who also have Covid Insurance cover. 

There is also no restrictions on anyone leaving the ship in port as long as they are part of an organised ship tour.

Edited by sidari

I found this on MSC website under FAQ. Interesting, sounds like non vaccinated will be required to wear mask even while seated in doors but vaccinated will not. I’m sure exception is if you are actively eating or drinking. 

73B62A65-031A-4129-9D6F-048EDA084B1D.png

We’re not cruising with MSC until next May out of Rome on the Seaside so I’m not going to be concerned with the current policies until closer to final payment but we’re on the Celebrity Equinox in about seven weeks. Celebrity is going out with at least 95% of the guests vaccinated and as of today those of us that are fully vaccinated will not be required to test prior to the cruise or wear masks on board and only in the ports where required. Also, in ports we can go on our own unless the port of call requires ship sponsored tours such as Tortola BVI. 

The one thing that was stressed by my Celebrity TA is that any and all rules can change at any given time. What’s in effect today may not be tomorrow. The CDC mandates and controls the current rules and can make changes when necessary. Everyone has to also be aware that the Captain can change the rules if a breakout occurs on board. We are all taking a chance when boarding a ship where there may be situations similar to what happened last week on the Millennium where certain guests were traced back to being close to someone who had tested positive and all were confined to their staterooms until testing was completed and a negative test was given or the cruise could end early if a certain amount of crew or guests have tested positive. Bottom line, expect that anything can happen. 

I personally do not want to wear a mask on board and am hoping that it doesn’t come down to it. Cruising is going to be adventure for a while. If your booked to go then be prepared. 😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alyssamma said:

I remember seeing photos of the Topsail Lounge on the current Grandiosa cruises. There are clearly placards are seats requiring distancing, so I would imagine MSC is asking us YC cruisers to abide by the total ship guidelines.  I’m perfectly accepting of the restrictions expected on my 26 Sept sailing.

Dennis

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

The CDC mandates and controls the current rules and can make changes when necessary.

That's correct, but only in the US. The CDC obviously has no jurisdiction in Europe, so your cruise from Rome won't be affected by the CDC. (and I'm sure you know that)

I agree with the sentiment of your post, we are all going to have to pack our patience during the return to sailing. There will no doubt be some hiccups along the way. I urge you to read some of the posts by @BermudaBound2014, who has a real handle on the situation. There will be some people denied boarding, there will be some people who'll have to disembark early, some cancelled sailings and even some ports missed. But it won't be forever, in my opinion. We all need to understand that risk is inherent in any activity, including sailing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kidless said:

I found this on MSC website under FAQ. Interesting, sounds like non vaccinated will be required to wear mask even while seated in doors but vaccinated will not. I’m sure exception is if you are actively eating or drinking. 

73B62A65-031A-4129-9D6F-048EDA084B1D.png

Royal Caribbean announced their protocols recently too. Vaccinated guests will have a wristband or a special punch on their sea pass card, and it sounds like they'll have venues for vaccinated only passengers. Also, in their main dining room, non-vaccinated guests won't be able to participate in My Time Dining. Specified time only. Vaccinated parents traveling with unvaccinated children will sit in the un-vaxxed dining area with their children.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out once cruising finally starts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's correct, but only in the US. The CDC obviously has no jurisdiction in Europe, so your cruise from Rome won't be affected by the CDC. (and I'm sure you know that)

I agree with the sentiment of your post, we are all going to have to pack our patience during the return to sailing. There will no doubt be some hiccups along the way. I urge you to read some of the posts by @BermudaBound2014, who has a real handle on the situation. There will be some people denied boarding, there will be some people who'll have to disembark early, some cancelled sailings and even some ports missed. But it won't be forever, in my opinion. We all need to understand that risk is inherent in any activity, including sailing.

My thoughts on next year hinge not only where we as a world stand with the virus but also how MSC conducts their business overall moving forward. MSC needs me a heck of a lot more than I need them. After cruising for over thirty-five years, I have a pretty good handle on what can happen or expect on a ship. 

On 6/17/2021 at 6:00 PM, kidless said:

Our cruise is not till October and much can change. Debating whether to make final payment. I’m going want to see what happens in next few weeks. Also what exactly wearing mask indoors means. 

I'm in the same boat. Final payment is coming up soon for our October Meraviglia cruise.

I do not want to wear a mask on a cruise ship.

Personally, I'm getting a little annoyed with the cruise lines trying to accommodate the unvaccinated and prefer it be a requirement.

People keep saying this will change by October but who knows ???

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NightOne said:

I'm in the same boat. Final payment is coming up soon for our October Meraviglia cruise.

I do not want to wear a mask on a cruise ship.

Personally, I'm getting a little annoyed with the cruise lines trying to accommodate the unvaccinated and prefer it be a requirement.

People keep saying this will change by October but who knows ???

There are cruise lines sailing that will accommodate you, MSC do not have to follow everyone else.

19 hours ago, sidari said:

There are cruise lines sailing that will accommodate you, MSC do not have to follow everyone else.

I am aware of that. I just got off the first Royal Caribbean sailing out of Nassau and we didn't have to wear masks. We were all vaccinated (adults) and were tested before boarding the ship.

I realize October is a bit away but if masks are required I'll have to consider dumping that cruise. As I understand it we have until 48 hours before the cruise to decide.

22 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

MSC is doing here what they started with in Europe. Not for me. Sorry. I'm vaccinated, so I have a choice of many other cruise lines where I won't have to wear a mask everywhere.

D42 ... As there has already been one fully jabbed cruise where a small number of passengers and some crew who tested positive, how can you be sure that being on such a cruise would protect you ? Given that many of those who have had both jabs are now testing positive.

• Like 1

Sid, the problem I have is having to wear a mask all the time, not sailing with non vaccinated passengers. The other lines have it split so that vaccinated do not have to wear a mask except in close quarters inside. None on deck,

15 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Sid, the problem I have is having to wear a mask all the time, not sailing with non vaccinated passengers. The other lines have it split so that vaccinated do not have to wear a mask except in close quarters inside. None on deck,

We were on Virtuosa 2 weeks ago, you don't have to wear a mask all the time, in fact the time we were wearing masks was actually very little. On deck you only have to wear one while you are moving round, once seated or on a sunbed they are not required. It really was not the big deal that people are imagining.