Prepaid Gratuities

janroatan

12 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I didn't know that. It makes sense, but doesn't work that way on Carnival. I assumed it would be the same. 

Best way to know for sure is to ask for an Amenities Invoice (which hopefully) would show the TA's OBC.  However, read the Invoice line for line carefully, because often the NON and Refundable end up on two seperate lines!!!

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I have a question.....

I've never bid but if I was booked in a non-suite and pre-paid the DSC, what would happen if I won my bid for the Haven? Would I pay the difference or am I covered by what I pre-paid?

Good question... The answer is YES, you pay more in gratuities!

• Like 1

We never pre pay. Better in our pocket and one less thing to worry about if the cruise is cancelled ( them or us). We also tip our steward when we meet them and the head waiter on the first day ( maybe a $20) . They might get more later depending. No matter they get the regular tips too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I think you misunderstood.  I have OBC that I want to use to pay for my excursions.  In the past, you just reserved your excursions and could use OBC to pay for them.  Now that you have to pre-pay, the only way to use OBC for excursions is to either wait until you are onboard and book then or, as I hope to do, refund my payment once onboard so I can use existing OBC.

Yup, I did misunderstand!  But then, the TYPE of OBC you have still matters.  Hopefully, you have "REFUNDABLE OBC!"

40 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I have a question.....

I've never bid but if I was booked in a non-suite and pre-paid the DSC, what would happen if I won my bid for the Haven? Would I pay the difference or am I covered by what I pre-paid?

On winning a bid what ever benefits you originally had stay with you, and that includes pre paid DSC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

On winning a bid what ever benefits you originally had stay with you, and that includes pre paid DSC.

Unlike some other countries, prepaid DSC is very rarely a benefit/promo for US passengers (although rumor has it that it might be coming in July).  It is an additional fee that you either pay beforehand or it's added to your account on a daily basis.

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

That's even more of an incentive to pre-pay. 

33 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Unlike some other countries, prepaid DSC is very rarely a benefit/promo for US passengers (although rumor has it that it might be coming in July).  It is an additional fee that you either pay beforehand or it's added to your account on a daily basis.

Obviously, if waived DSC is selected as a promo, it would carry over with the winning bid. My question was related to paying the non-suite rate vs paying the suite rate. If the non-suite rate is prepaid, a person winning a bid to a suite would not have to pay the additional amount of DSC that comes with the suite. 

Sorry for the hijack...🥴

Edited by Two Wheels Only

31 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Hi what I meant to say was if you have paid DSC at normal rates, if you obtain an upgrade you don’t pay Haven rates it stays the same, also your promotions stay the same .

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I have a question.....

I was told the prepaid gratuities would stay the same (I never won my bid) but be aware that the butler and concierge are not included in the prepaid gratuities and are expected to receive theirs separately

Just now, Hadacareer said:

I was told the prepaid gratuities would stay the same (I never won my bid) but be aware that the butler and concierge are not included in the prepaid gratuities and are expected to receive theirs separately

Of course. 

I only book the Haven directly so I'm used to concierge/butler "extras". 

Based on the answers given here, pre-paying the DSC has an added benefit to those who later win their bid to a higher DSC having category. 

I have done both ways.  In the days of envelopes, paid cash towards the end.  Anytime there is going to be a price hike (which I have always received notification regarding), I will pre-pay.  Lately (wow, that's a relative term now!), I have started pre-paying, just because it helps space out what I have to pay for the cruise, instead of a large bill at the end (because I'm one of those people who doesn't mind charging to the on board account!) 🙂

Fortunately, I've never encountered service egregious enough for me to have the DSC removed!  Fingers crossed that I never will!

Do what makes YOU happy!  Its YOUR vacation!  Happy sailing (and SOON!) everyone!

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I have a question.....

You would pay the difference.

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I have a question..... I've never bid but if I was booked in a non-suite and pre-paid the DSC, what would happen if I won my bid for the Haven? Would I pay the difference or am I covered by what I pre-paid?

The one time that we have had this happen, they did not collect additional DSC for the Havens. We kept the pre-pay balcony DSC. 

I haven paid gratuities recently because Princess offers prepaid gratuities as one of their perks but for the NCL cruise we will prepay just to keep the on board bill clear as possible.  Much easier to keep track of expenses.  I assume we can monitor the on board account on the television?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

Can OBC from NCLH stock or from BofA credit card points be used to pay gratuities?

OBC from stock is non-refundable OBC and can't be used for gratuities.  Not entirely sure about the BofA OBC but I think that is considered "purchased" OBC and could be used for gratuities if that's the case.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

I like to pre-pay so that everything is paid for when I board the ship.  Very rarely, if ever do I charge anything while onboard, so I'm usually staring at a naked piece of paper when the final bills are delivered.  I am waiting to see if the rumors about free DSC is coming in July.  I actually clicked on this thread thinking it was talking about that rumor 

• 1 year later...

I prepaid my service charge for both of us, but how do you prepay the gratuities? I can't for the life of me figure that out. I don't see any way to do it. And I don't want any surprises when I get the final bill on the last day of the cruise.