Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

Even "usage" pages are badly designed eg JourneyView Activities Timeline - you can't scroll across at a single "level" to see what is on in, say, The Theatre, even on the same day. Any given day's entry might be on line one, or on line 5 or..... and the 2nd entry for that day is on a different line. Just makes it so frustrating to use 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Airwavey said:

Even "usage" pages are badly designed eg JourneyView Activities Timeline - you can't scroll across at a single "level" to see what is on in, say, The Theatre, even on the same day. Any given day's entry might be on line one, or on line 5 or..... and the 2nd entry for that day is on a different line. Just makes it so frustrating to use 

I see great potential for all that the app could but….seeing it and not have it work is the worst thing Princess can do for their reputation. So sad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, PROCRUISE said:

Well, just got the word from Medallion Support, in a very rude manner too.

"Only iPhone 8's and above will work for the MedallionClass App."

When I inquired as to when we could print off luggage tags for our August 8th cruise I was told: "if you had the app you wouldn't need luggage tags!"

Great way to treat return clients Princess.

I have an Apple iPhone 8. It works fine for the onboard app, but will not connect o wifi calling. Pretty sure the info you got isn’t correct!

3 hours ago, Airwavey said:

That's a major fail.

It is also rubbish on the ship on the big screens.(not just Princess)

There is a reason the layout of daily programs developed to the easy read over a single sheet with a pull off foldable for the time line/important stuff.

Some lines do a much better job than others on getting it sensible on paper

Multiple scroll just does not work on screens

20 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

1st time using the new app and geez it is tough . you can make MDR reservation for one day then next day it says error. i decided to go thru the web interface. there it gives you the specific error

unable to retrieve guests journey information

but if you go to another day you can successfully book. it's totally random what day it lets you book. is this common for this error or am i special? 

No. You're not special. You've joined the crowd.

Some have no issues others it's just one d#$*&m thing after another.🤪

6 hours ago, Airwavey said:

We didn't use Journey View for that reason. Instead, I simply opened a browser window and entered royal.princess.com and that gave me a list like we got before the new app. It should work for any vessel. Just go to vesslename.princess.com

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tutumomickey said:

Can someone please help. I know it was posted how to log in 'the old way' somewhere in this thread but I can't find it. I'm begining to think that's the only way to go in Alaska on Discovery from what I'm reading

Are you talking about using the website instead of the App?

Go to princess.com

click on manage my booking

click check in

It tells you to check in on the App…

but look closely….

Right under Download App or Google Play

it says:

Try our web version….blue letters click on that.

•  
Download the MedallionClass app from Apple's App store    Download MedallionClass app from Google Play store
Don't have a compatible device? Try our web version(opens in a new window)

If you click on the blue letters above, I have given you, it is a link for you. You’ll need to log in and go from there.

Edited by PacnGoNow

A Question for the app usage while onboard. Our last cruise we used the "message" feature in the app to communicate with each other. The problem was when either of us received a message, we were not notified on our iPhones of a message like every other app. We have notifications turned on for the Medallion Class app. Do others get notifications like I think we should? We stopped by and saw the Medallion app desk and they couldn't fix it, they added it to our list of other app issues in their system. Of course nothing has been done about it. I had to keep checking inside the app for messages from my wife which is a pain. Other than the notification issue, I think the rest of the app worked flawlessly while on board. With regards to our pre-cruise experience with the app, it is useless. There are so many issues we have with it that apparently cannot be fixed, we have given up. We just print everything and just show up, really not that big of a deal. When we are walking up the gangway to the ship I pretty much forget about the app frustration!

fairmontracer.  the medallion class app message system is not the same as iphone imessage. you will not get a notification when you message a family member using the medallion app.  Yes you can message people on the ship using the ships intranet; but there will be no notification.  You just have to keep checking the app to see if someone has messaged you. The IT people on the ship can not fix it; because it isn't available on the app.  If two people both buy the wifi package then you can use i-message just like onshore

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

fairmontracer.  the medallion class app message system is not the same as iphone imessage. you will not get a notification when you message a family member using the medallion app.  Yes you can message people on the ship using the ships intranet; but there will be no notification.  You just have to keep checking the app to see if someone has messaged you. The IT people on the ship can not fix it; because it isn't available on the app.  If two people both buy the wifi package then you can use i-message just like onshore

Well, that's good to know, however I don't know why the specific "Medallion App" concierge did not know that. Also, why would you write an app that has a feature to message someone, that doesn't work with the notification feature on a mobile device?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fairmontracer said:

Well, that's good to know, however I don't know why the specific "Medallion App" concierge did not know that. Also, why would you write an app that has a feature to message someone, that doesn't work with the notification feature on a mobile device?

The app/medallion support on the ships are same as sales folks in ATT store. They only know what they have been trained to know. They are not technicians who can “fix” issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fairmontracer said:

Also, why would you write an app that has a feature to message someone, that doesn't work with the notification feature on a mobile device?

This, but the passenger messaging service has been that way since Day 1 - long before the MC App came along in its new form last June.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If two people both buy the wifi package then you can use i-message just like onshore

And for Android users, I would recommend WHATSAPP.  Of course, Apple owners can use it as well, but they do have the i-message thing as well.

3 hours ago, Userclown said:

The app/medallion support on the ships are same as sales folks in ATT store. They only know what they have been trained to know. They are not technicians who can “fix” issues. 

Indeed, one day a drummer from Entertainment was filling in at Medallion Help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Indeed, one day a drummer from Entertainment was filling in at Medallion Help.

In the old days, there was often a dancer helping out answering internet questions.

They are generally free during sea days, and can make a few extra bucks.

A lot of passengers' question can be answered by anyone born since 1995...

If there is a harder question, the passenger can be re-directed to an 'expert'...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

In the old days, there was often a dancer helping out answering internet questions.

They are generally free during sea days, and can make a few extra bucks.

A lot of passengers' question can be answered by anyone born since 1995...

If there is a harder question, the passenger can be re-directed to an 'expert'...

I was born in the mid-50's and I could answer a lot of the questions.

• Like 1

I can't answer questions about why an app does not support certain funtions.  If the app was part of a fortune 500 companies lifeline such as linkedin;  you can bet it will work the way it was designed to

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I was born in the mid-50's and I could answer a lot of the questions.

OK.

Sample:

"I put my phone in Airplane mode to avoid any charges ... just like I read on the internet ... now, I can't connect to anything?"

Um ... after putting the phone in Airplane mode, did you turn on wifi?

No point in wasting your best onboard talent answering front line questions...

This is pretty much how a HMO I one belonged to worked.

When you show up, they try to have you treated by the least cost provider...

First the janitor has a look...

Then, someone who has taken a first aid class...

Then, someone who has driven by a nursing school..

Then, someone who has actually entered a nursing school...

It could take days before you saw anyone with a medical degree...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

OK.

Sample:

"I put my phone in Airplane mode to avoid any charges ... just like I read on the internet ... now, I can't connect to anything?"

Um ... after putting the phone in Airplane mode, did you turn on wifi?

No point in wasting your best onboard talent answering front line questions...

This is pretty much how a HMO I one belonged to worked.

When you show up, they try to have you treated by the least cost provider...

First the janitor has a look...

Then, someone who has taken a first aid class...

Then, someone who has driven by a nursing school..

Then, someone who has actually entered a nursing school...

It could take days before you saw anyone with a medical degree...

Often times I find more information on my own. The guy who finished last in medical school is still called doctor!

• Like 2

We got a call from Princess a couple of days ago and they asked me to open the app and attempt to add Ocean Ready info.  Fortunately,  I was sitting down.  It worked!  Next, they had my wife open the app.  Our July cruise showed in it!

She still has some issues in the app with entering Ocean Ready stuff but she is now able to do that on the Web page or through my login and all her other functions work.

Our issues started in September when we were switched from the Sapphire to the Royal.  We opened our first support ticket then.  It took about 8 months for Princess' IT department to fix what was clearly a database issue.  Oh, well.  Now I  just hope it stays fixed (or as close to fixed as it is) until the end of our cruise on July 30.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I can't answer questions about why an app does not support certain funtions.  If the app was part of a fortune 500 companies lifeline such as linkedin;  you can bet it will work the way it was designed to

I would just like an answer to my question as to why THIS app is SUPPOSED to exclusively support certain functions!  Maybe I’m way off base here, but my take on apps is that they are supposed to be an enhancement, not the second half of the equation.  I cannot use the MedallionClass app exclusively to book a Princess cruise from start to finish, and I cannot NOT use the app to complete the cruise from start to finish. 

The inanity of it all really hit home yesterday as I was completing details for “the boss” (DH) who’s flying to Canada tomorrow.  He booked his flights on the airline website.  He could have done that on the app, but chose not to.  On his behalf, I completed the ArriveCAN application on the ArriveCAN website, created a PDF file with the requisite QR code that I then printed a copy of as well as emailed to him so he can take a screenshot to have as a secondary back-up.  I returned to the airline website, which has all of his passport information on file, uploaded PDF files of his vaccination card and the ArriveCAN QR code, and printed off his boarding passes.  He will be able to get there and back without having to upload ANY app to do so.  He COULD, if he chose, upload the airline app, and have the enhanced ability to track his checked bag, be able to access a map with step-by-step instructions to get from his arrival gate to the next departure gate, or even to watch in-flight tv shows or movies, but he doesn’t need any of these functions.  I also thought it was telling that I could upload his credit card and authorize the airline to keep it on file in case he decides to order food or drinks during the flight, but at no time did that require me to authorize the food service company to keep his credit card information in their files. 

With the exception of the MedallionClass app, there is not a single app on any of my devices that precludes me from getting done what I want to get done without that app.  If anyone can help me understand how the designers of the MedallionClass app can justify this half-apped approach, I would be sincerely grateful!  🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1