Aztrasenica vaccine not accepted by RCCL

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Maybe because he was in the "trials", his actual vaccine date may be more than a year old by the time the cruise comes around and so they are simply requiring him to get the shots again.  Certainly no one thinks this will be a one and done forever scenario.  At this point the manufacturers don't even know how long people are protected, let alone with Delta out there now...

This is addressed in the FAQs on Royal's website:

Q. I participated in early COVID-19 vaccine trials and it has been more than a year since I was vaccinated. How long do you consider my vaccine good for? Do I need to get re-vaccinated to sail?

A. Your original vaccine is still considered valid. At this time, there is no information from drug makers that participants in vaccine trials need to be re-vaccinated within any sort of timeframe. Those who participated in trials and fully completed the true vaccine cycle (not the placebo) should have received an original vaccination record document issued by your country’s health authority (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card), which should be presented at all necessary points in the pre-travel and arrival process.

• Like 1

We are on 2 cruises departing from Venice and Barcelona. A lot of European's are vaccinated with AstraZenica. So cannot imagine that they will exclude a great part of cruisers from cruising on their ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Maybe because he was in the "trials", his actual vaccine date may be more than a year old by the time the cruise comes around and so they are simply requiring him to get the shots again.  Certainly no one thinks this will be a one and done forever scenario.  At this point the manufacturers don't even know how long people are protected, let alone with Delta out there now...

Nope.  Trials are still valid.

This is the latest from Royal.

3. I participated in early COVID-19 vaccine trials and it has been more than a year since I was vaccinated. How long do you consider my vaccine good for? Do I need to get re-vaccinated to sail?

Your original vaccine is still considered valid. At this time, there is no information from drug makers that participants in vaccine trials need to be re-vaccinated within any sort of timeframe. Those who participated in trials and fully completed the true vaccine cycle (not the placebo) should have received an original vaccination record document issued by your country’s health authority (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card), which should be presented at all necessary points in the pre-travel and arrival process.

4. What vaccines are accepted?

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by a national regulatory authority (such as the U.S. FDA), or global health organization (such as the World Health Organization) are accepted. Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements

We also participated in an AstraZeneca trial run by the US Navy in San Diego and both received the vaccine.   In the newsletter we received from AstraZeneca a week or so they indicated the CDC was going to allow the issuance of the CDC cards for AstraZeneca trial participants.   We pick up our CDC cards on Tuesday.

The following is from the AstraZeneca newsletter:

CDC Card Status
The AstraZeneca vaccine is not authorized by the FDA but is listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization. According to CDC’s clinical consideration, people who have received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has been listed for emergency use by WHO do not need any additional doses with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine. Therefore, once it has been confirmed that a trial participant received ‘active’ vaccine and not placebo, the participants can be considered ‘fully vaccinated’ in terms of CDC guidance. In addition, they can receive a “CDC card” and can have their vaccine recorded in IIS systems. Upon request, your site can now provide a CDC card to you.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GarlicBread said:

They accepting crew vaccinated with AZ. 

I highly doubt they wouldn't accept guests too...

AstraZeneca is being utilized in over 160 different countries with over 400 million doses given.

I wonder where this leaves me, I have B2B in September on Oasis of the Seas. My first vaccine was AZ my second was Pfizer. I know if I call I will not get a proper answer. Things are changing so fast, we'll see  what the rules are in August and I'll decide what to do then...

10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The Astra Zeneca Covid 19 vaccine is not approved for use in the USA and is therefore not accepted as proof of vaccination for passengers departing from US cruise ports.

It doesn't matter where else in the world it might be in use or who has received the vaccination.

Please don't quote the limited section of the Royal Caribbean website about what vaccines are acceptable. 

Read carefully and the section includes the statement that different ports of call or departure ports will have different requirements for the vaccines that are acceptable.

It is unfortunate but while the CDC has referenced the concept of fully vaccinated passengers in technical documents such as COVID-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order.  No where in those documents have they defined what vaccines are considered to be acceptable to meet the definition of being fully vaccinated.

The only reference I can find on any of the CDC web sites related to the term of being fully vaccinated is on the page

Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People

For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson [J&J]/Janssen)±; there is currently no post-vaccination time limit on fully vaccinated status. Unvaccinated people refers to individuals of all ages, including children, that have not completed a vaccination series or received a single-dose vaccine.

Since the US has not established any requirements differentiating vaccinated from unvaccinated as far as international travel is concerned there does seem to be a gap at this point of exactly what the definition of being fully vaccinated is when it comes to vaccines not approved in the US.

It really comes down to what the CDC considers to be the definition of fully vaccinated when it comes to cruise ship operations and unfortunately it does not seem to be published anywhere.

I would have expected that they would apply it to WHO approved vaccines as well, but if so it is certainly not published on the CDC web sites, nor state department. I am certainly somewhat surprised in not being able to find anymore information.

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope.  Trials are still valid.

This is the latest from Royal.

3. I participated in early COVID-19 vaccine trials and it has been more than a year since I was vaccinated. How long do you consider my vaccine good for? Do I need to get re-vaccinated to sail?

Your original vaccine is still considered valid. At this time, there is no information from drug makers that participants in vaccine trials need to be re-vaccinated within any sort of timeframe. Those who participated in trials and fully completed the true vaccine cycle (not the placebo) should have received an original vaccination record document issued by your country’s health authority (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card), which should be presented at all necessary points in the pre-travel and arrival process.

4. What vaccines are accepted?

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by a national regulatory authority (such as the U.S. FDA), or global health organization (such as the World Health Organization) are accepted. Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements

Unfortunately this phrase is key and we really need a defined list for US departures. Have anyone received the "guest materials" for their departure from the US yet.

Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements

While not Royal, Princess is a bit more definitive about their Alaska cruises.

Their web site states

Acceptable vaccines are those that have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or will have received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Which if correct would certainly include the Astra Zeneca vaccine

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LouTheGlue said:

I wonder where this leaves me, I have B2B in September on Oasis of the Seas. My first vaccine was AZ my second was Pfizer. I know if I call I will not get a proper answer. Things are changing so fast, we'll see  what the rules are in August and I'll decide what to do then...

I don't know how to tag on my phone but ourusualbeach mentioned in another thread their contact in Royal said it was fine, and they're a TA so the contact wasn't just a royal rep. I forget what thread it was on, but since he's on this one he'll probably see your question eventually. 

• Like 2

The statements from other cruise lines are similar.  One problem for some is that the mixed dose (AZ first, Pfizer second for example) is not listed as having formal approval by FDA or WHO. 

NCL has the following statement

What vaccines will be accepted?

Vaccines that have been authorised for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the European Medicines Agency (EMA) will be accepted.

Holland America states

Which COVID-19 vaccines will be accepted?

Acceptable vaccines are those that have an emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or will have received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Edited by nocl

The CDC has approved AstraZeneca as a valid vaccine as it it accepted for EUA by the WHO.  No matter what the FDA says.   There are many medications approved by the WHO and CDC that do not have FDA approval around the world.  

As of May 13, 2021, WHO has listed the following COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use:

• Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., COMIRNATY, Tozinameran)
  • AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., Covishield, Vaxzevria)
  • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine
  • Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
  • Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine
  • Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine
  • Like 1

Just now, kiwimum said:

The CDC has approved AstraZeneca as a valid vaccine as it it accepted for EUA by the WHO.  No matter what the FDA says.   There are many medications approved by the WHO and CDC that do not have FDA approval around the world.  

As of May 13, 2021, WHO has listed the following COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use:

• Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., COMIRNATY, Tozinameran)
  • AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., Covishield, Vaxzevria)
  • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine
  • Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
  • Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine
  • Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine

It would be nice if CDC actually defined that policy in their technical documents for conditional cruise sailings.

Yes there are lots of drugs approved around the world.  However, a Doctor in the US cannot prescribe those drugs if not approved by FDA, a pharmacy cannot dispense them inside of the US.

The problem is while that the policy probably is FDA or WHO or maybe even EMEA, it is not stated anywhere in the CDC publications concerning cruise lines.  

28 minutes ago, little britain said:

There may be issues with the Indian made Covishield not  being accepted in today’s press here as that is not recognised by EMA. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9747505/Up-5million-British-holidaymakers-BARRED-Europe.html

Hopefully that will be sorted out at some point and whilst the EU covid passport may exclude those batch numbers individual member states can choose to accept them. I can see Spain and Greece etc accepting the NHS or EU app which would solve this issue.

5 hours ago, LouTheGlue said:

They will flip a coin? I am just kidding. :classic_biggrin: You will be fine. The cruise lines want passengers that are fully vaccinated. There should be no issues with the brand of vaccine that guests have received. Many countries are using mixed doses. And even more vaccines will be in use. It is more important that people just get vaccinated. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm not sure that is a good idea to double up on different vaccines.  

A lot of people here in Germany got cross vaccinated with AstraZeneca and Biontec/Moderna as second dose because AstraZeneca did cause troubles and the people didn´t want it anymore. Right now the German STIKO recommends the cross vaccination as it´s more effective than two doses of AstraZeneca.

steamboats

• Like 3

1 hour ago, little britain said:

There may be issues with the Indian made Covishield not  being accepted in today’s press here as that is not recognised by EMA. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9747505/Up-5million-British-holidaymakers-BARRED-Europe.html

Arf. My first dose falls into one of the above batches.

I'm sure it will be sorted out in due course though.

6 hours ago, nocl said:

For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson [J&J]/Janssen)±;

I had found that page too and noticed that if you follow that little symbol at the end there all the way to the bottom of the page it says this:

"± This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines.  This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford)."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dasi11 said:

I would draft an email to Bailey with a subject line having AstraZeneca Vaccine question.  I think an uneducated phone rep had no idea how many countries are using that vaccine.  Besides you  may get an uneducated check in agent so having a reply from the top with help.  They do answer if you have an issue like this.  

Best idea! Will do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

A lot of people here in Germany got cross vaccinated with AstraZeneca and Biontec/Moderna as second dose because AstraZeneca did cause troubles and the people didn´t want it anymore. Right now the German STIKO recommends the cross vaccination as it´s more effective than two doses of AstraZeneca.

steamboats

I have heard that on the news.  I was commenting to the poster because her husband was fully vaccinated with AZ but was thinking of going to get the Pfizer vaccine if Royal isnt going to accept AZ 

Not sure someone wants to have 4 doses of 2 different vaccines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Arf. My first dose falls into one of the above batches.

I'm sure it will be sorted out in due course though.

So does mine! I got an update from RCI regarding my Southampton sailing next week. They will only accept the app as proof of vaccination, any cards are NOT acceptable. The app works brilliantly and produces a QR code.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have heard that on the news.  I was commenting to the poster because her husband was fully vaccinated with AZ but was thinking of going to get the Pfizer vaccine if Royal isnt going to accept AZ 

Not sure someone wants to have 4 doses of 2 different vaccines.

That is exactly how I interpreted your comment previously. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I had found that page too and noticed that if you follow that little symbol at the end there all the way to the bottom of the page it says this:

"± This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines.  This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford)."

good. That should resolve the concerns as far as AZ goes. That leaves the question of the mixed vaccines.