CELEBRITY AND LABADEE???

elaineb

Our itinerary in November on the Reflection includes Grand Cayman.  If ships are not allowed on that island, do you think Labadee would be an option?  Has Celebrity ever gone to Labadee?  The other islands are key West, Cozumel and Jamaica.  If not Labadee, Costa Maya???  What do you think? 

Celebrity hasn't had Labadee as a normal port stop for the past few seasons. The reason given was based on passenger feedback, guests didn't want a beach day. 

That whole itinerary could change a lot. Grand Cayman isn't slated to accept ships until 2022 and Key West is still up in the air. Costa Maya and Nassau seem to be the default 'fill in' ports right now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elaineb said:

Our itinerary in November on the Reflection includes Grand Cayman.  If ships are not allowed on that island, do you think Labadee would be an option?  Has Celebrity ever gone to Labadee?  The other islands are key West, Cozumel and Jamaica.  If not Labadee, Costa Maya???  What do you think? 

Celebrity has gone to Labadee in the past but that is mainly a Royal Caribbean stop.  If you are not allowed to go to Grand Cayman, you will most likely have a sea day.  Nassau would be an option.  

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Celebrity hasn't had Labadee as a normal port stop for the past few seasons. The reason given was based on passenger feedback, guests didn't want a beach day. 

That whole itinerary could change a lot. Grand Cayman isn't slated to accept ships until 2022 and Key West is still up in the air. Costa Maya and Nassau seem to be the default 'fill in' ports right now. 

Key West has now overturned that limit on cruise ship size July 1st.  So I am pretty sure that port is a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elaineb said:

Key West has now overturned that limit on cruise ship size July 1st.  So I am pretty sure that port is a go.

The local KW government was meeting on 7/6 to explore options that circumvent the legislation but I haven't seen any updates since then. They may have an uphill battle but they aren't done yet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

We have gone to labadee on celebrity and enjoyed it- however due to current politics, not sure if or when they will resume the stop.  We enjoyed costa maya and nassau- great ports.  Not a fan of key west.

Edited by Cruise a holic

25 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The local KW government was meeting on 7/6 to explore options that circumvent the legislation but I haven't seen any updates since then. They may have an uphill battle but they aren't done yet. 

I will assume those are the people who don't depend on cruise ships for income.

1 minute ago, K12Guy said:

I will assume those are the people who don't depend on cruise ships for income.

They've basically said the ships are more of a hindrance than benefit and they are doing just fine without them. The three ballot initiatives passed quite easily. 

• Like 1

The issue with Labadee was that there were extensive surveys and the cruisers were concerned that there was no shopping.  Just a beach day.  Then the number of stops there decreased significantly.  I have enjoyed visiting that port and country.

The Key West saga continues.  Now it may be up to the Port Authority  (Commision) to deal with the issue. But for me, where will I get the key lime pie???

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They've basically said the ships are more of a hindrance than benefit and they are doing just fine without them. The three ballot initiatives passed quite easily. 

Understood. I've been there once and don't care to repeat the trip, so it doesn't affect me. I really think if the residents don't want cruise ships then all watercraft, including there's, should be outlawed. Let the water be still and clean and all the sea animals live in unfettered bliss.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We have gone to labadee on celebrity and enjoyed it- however due to current politics, not sure if or when they will resume the stop.

Sadly, “politics” is putting it mildly, given what has just happened. 

46 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The challenge is they have accepted a lot of state money for upgrades to their waterfront area.  I'm not sure they are prepared to write a check to reimburse the state for that.

34 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I hope Celebrity reconsiders Labadee.  I enjoy the beach day on the island.  It's one of my favorite stops.

Have you read the news lately about Haiti? You'd have to be nutz to go there right now.

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

Have you read the news lately about Haiti? You'd have to be nutz to go there right now.

Labadee is on the coast (I know, duh), and the area is cordoned off.  I'm sure they will be able to secure it properly.  If they feel it is not safe, they will cancel that port, but I'm guessing they will have enough security around to go forward.  

• Like 1

Hmmm...  Haiti.  Who would want to go there?  Anyways we did once on RCL and at it's best it was a one trick pony.  Only beaches...  The snorkeling is nonexistent because they overfish it.  Definitely not on my list.  Grand Caymen is high on the list. Haiti has been crossed off.  I would cancel a change in intinerary to go there.

Edited by NMTraveller

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Labadee is on the coast (I know, duh), and the area is cordoned off.  I'm sure they will be able to secure it properly.  If they feel it is not safe, they will cancel that port, but I'm guessing they will have enough security around to go forward.  

Security has been there for years and it's not ben a problem.  The only time you left the border of the fence was to get on the zip line.    Haiti has been a poor country for a long time, I doubt the problems at the capitol will affect most of the country. Sure I may not want to visit tomorrow, but I will in the near future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Team Stag said:

The challenge is they have accepted a lot of state money for upgrades to their waterfront area.  I'm not sure they are prepared to write a check to reimburse the state for that.

Why would they have to reimburse the state? Those folks are taxpayers, too. This is the real reason the legislature overruled the voters of Key West.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article250934164.html

16 hours ago, mom says said:

Oops - I honestly forgot Labadee was on Haiti.  With that in consideration, I suspect a sea day would be better.  

Labadee is in Haiti but private property owned by the RCG corporation.  Or leased.  Not sure which.  Anyway I would think the cruise lines of RCG will continue to use it and monitor the political and safety situation in Haiti continuously to make decisions on stopping there on any given cruise.