Boarding the Edge - here’s what we experienced

lbryant

We just boarded the beautiful Edge. Here’s how it went: We are a family of 6 in Aqua class. Our boarding time was 12:30-1p. We arrived at 12:10. There was a large crowd, some in lines and some people standing off to the side.   Retreat / Suite guests had their own line (yes, it was a line at least at 12:15). We dropped off luggage and wandered over to the front of the line to find an employee. We showed our 12.30 boarding time and they directed us to one of the lines for 12:30 boarding. It looked like they had lines for other boarding times (I assume the 1p-1:30, and a 1:30-2p). There was no signage, you just had to ask someone and they told you where to go.  I could not tell how many separate lines they had but clearly some people were there well before their boarding time. Our line started moving at 12:20. By 12:25 we were in the building. First stop was the health check where they reviewed your vaccine card and asked some questions. This took several minutes (it looks like they were training people today so it was a little slower). They took photos of the vaccine card. After that we took the elevator upstairs to go through security. No line there. Next we “checked in” using the Xpress pass and showed our passports. That took maybe 30 seconds. Then onto the ship. We were on the ship by 12:40. 
My recommendation is to arrive at your scheduled time. Can you get on earlier? Maybe. But how early I have no idea. It just depends on when you arrive and how many other people are also trying to board early.  Hope this helps everyone who is anticipating their arrival. Gorgeous ship. So classy and comfortable. The trip of a lifetime and it’s just day 1. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Thank you, "lbryant," for this helpful information.

Did you (within 24 hours of boarding) perform an online submission of a health-related questionnaire?  We ask this because of your mention of a "health check."  If you (or anyone) did not submit such a form online -- less than a day in advance -- were you (or anyone) given the opportunity to fill it out in person today?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.

PS:  We foolishly forgot to send you best wishes for a great cruise!

Edited by jg51
Added the P.S.

Thanks for your description of boarding!  It's good to get some info on how things are being handled  for non-suite check in. Have fun on the cruise!

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 1

I was on this cruise also and yes, it was a bit chaotic at the beginning, confusion.

But, talking with others in "The Line", there were a lot of people who had check in times 0f 2PM, 2:30 and so on.

My check in time was 12-12:30PM, I arrived at the terminal at 12:05 and was in the bar at 12:21.

So, I guess some did not listen when told what time told when to be there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It would be so easy to have dedicated signs and lines ala timed exhibits at museums. Maybe personnel is an issue but for us non-suite guests I would have maybe 2 or 3 separated queues and a representative at the entrance to each checking boarding times. For example, Line #1 12-12:30/Line #2 12:30-1/Line #3 1-1:30. Once the first line is cleared then the 4th check-in time of 1:30-2 would be cleared to line up there and so on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

I was on this cruise also and yes, it was a bit chaotic at the beginning, confusion.

But, talking with others in "The Line", there were a lot of people who had check in times 0f 2PM, 2:30 and so on.

My check in time was 12-12:30PM, I arrived at the terminal at 12:05 and was in the bar at 12:21.

So, I guess some did not listen when told what time told when to be there.

Thanks, we have a 12:00 check in next week. Reading the other thread had me worried. Feel like your experience is more the norm and not the exception.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting and giving your thoughts about boarding.  I would love to be lining up to get on a cruise ship right now but it is not in the cards for us at the moment.  Hopefully this time next year we will be starting to pack for our first cruise since the Eclipse cruise to nowhere, Mar 2020.

I'm wondering if the long lines were due to people not coming at the specified time, more screening needed than before COVID and new hires. 

Enjoy every minute of your cruise.  I will be watching you leave on the web cam.  Bon Voyage!

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

It would be so easy to have dedicated signs and lines ala timed exhibits at museums. Maybe personnel is an issue but for us non-suite guests I would have maybe 2 or 3 separated queues and a representative at the entrance to each checking boarding times. For example, Line #1 12-12:30/Line #2 12:30-1/Line #3 1-1:30. Once the first line is cleared then the 4th check-in time of 1:30-2 would be cleared to line up there and so on. 

Looks like something to add to comment cards!

52 minutes ago, KKB said:

Looks like something to add to comment cards!

Would it not seem reasonable to expect the individuals in charge of line management/crowd control to already have this knowledge and implement such a system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

Would it not seem reasonable to expect the individuals in charge of line management/crowd control to already have this knowledge and implement such a system.

One would think.

But I have been stunned how many times in my professional & leisure life how often things that seem SO obvious to me are not always obvious to others...it is not until someone else suggests it that they see it.

And then if you are dealing with a narcissist like my ex-boss, your better idea will be ignored...and often the situation made worse. Such fun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jg51 said:

Did you (within 24 hours of boarding) perform an online submission of a health-related questionnaire?  We ask this because of your mention of a "health check."  If you (or anyone) did not submit such a form online -- less than a day in advance -- were you (or anyone) given the opportunity to fill it out in person today?

We did our online health questions 24 hours ahead of time. The first checkpoint was to review the vaccine card, ask if anything had changed since finishing the in app health questionaire, verbally confirming the vaccine card is your original card and then taking a photo of the vaccine card. It did take a few minutes for this. Some delay was technical issues getting the vax card photo linked to your account. 
FYI they did not issue wristbands and the crew is no longer required to wear masks though some still do. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lbryant said:

FYI they did not issue wristbands and the crew is no longer required to wear masks though some still do. 

So have you heard if the passengers on this cruise are all vaccinated like the previous Edge cruise? That would explain wristbands not being issued .

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So have you heard if the passengers on this cruise are all vaccinated like the previous Edge cruise? That would explain wristbands not being issued .

Not sure your post is correct, not all children are vaccinated and I think there were a few without all adults being vaccinated.

2 hours ago, lbryant said:

33 minutes ago, Oville said:

Not sure your post is correct, not all children are vaccinated and I think there were a few without all adults being vaccinated.

I was just basing my comment on what @lbryantmentioned on the last line and what I heard regarding the previous Edge cruise where there were no unvaccinated adults and wristbands weren't issued. But, if you are saying there are unvaccinated adults on this cruise, then maybe X has decided to do away with the wristbands and has opted to use the honor system with regards to wearing a mask in public areas and punching a hole in their ship card when it comes to unvaccinated passengers.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Can u keep in mind we didnt know times were being issued for wellness check.  Our flight gets in at 1130 and our well best check is 230. What r we suppose to do wonder the airport for 2.5 hrs. OR hope there would be some consideration and check us in?  A little thought might be nice by cele.

10 minutes ago, Big Feet said:

Our flight gets in at 1130 and our well best check is 230. What r we suppose to do wonder the airport for 2.5 hrs. OR hope there would be some consideration and check us in?  

You nailed it….wonder the air conditioned airport or hope to get checked in early…choice was there to be made. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lbryant said:

We did our online health questions 24 hours ahead of time. The first checkpoint was to review the vaccine card, ask if anything had changed since finishing the in app health questionaire, verbally confirming the vaccine card is your original card and then taking a photo of the vaccine card. It did take a few minutes for this. Some delay was technical issues getting the vax card photo linked to your account. FYI they did not issue wristbands and the crew is no longer required to wear masks though some still do. 

Thanks, "lbryant," for replying to the first of our two questions, posted yesterday.  We have copied our initial message, below, so that you can have another look at the second question.  After reading it, please see our additional comment at the bottom of this post ...

23 hours ago, jg51 said:

... Did you (within 24 hours of boarding) perform an online submission of a health-related questionnaire?  We ask this because of your mention of a "health check."  If you (or anyone) did not submit such a form online -- less than a day in advance -- were you (or anyone) given the opportunity to fill it out in person today? ...

The reason for our asking the second question is that we do not foresee being able to submit an "app health questionnaire" within the final 24 hours before boarding.  Why not?  Because we have no app and no device to which an app can be added.  (Believe it or not -- we have never seen any app nor used any app -- and have no ability to use a device [phone or other] that contains an app!)  So the question remains:

"If someone does not submit an online health questionnaire, less than a day in advance, would he/she/they be given the opportunity to fill one out, in person, upon arrival on Embarkation Day?"

1 minute ago, jg51 said:

Thanks, "lbryant," for replying to the first of our two questions, posted yesterday.  We have copied our initial message, below, so that you can have another look at the second question.  After reading it, please see our additional comment at the bottom of this post ...

The reason for our asking the second question is that we do not foresee being able to submit an "app health questionnaire" within the final 24 hours before boarding.  Why not?  Because we have no app and no device to which an app can be added.  (Believe it or not -- we have never seen any app nor used any app -- and have no ability to use a device [phone or other] that contains an app!)  So the question remains:

"If someone does not submit an online health questionnaire, less than a day in advance, would he/she/they be given the opportunity to fill one out, in person, upon arrival on Embarkation Day?"

What did your TA or Celebrity rep say when you told them about your situation?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What did your TA or Celebrity rep say when you told them about your situation?

Hello, "Ken."

Although we have cruised over 30 times (including 15 with "X" and 6 with RCI), we have never used a travel agent.  We also do not yet have a cruise booked right now.  Due to [non-cruise-related] circumstances beyond our control, we will have to wait until mid-August before we can book a cruise. 

Meanwhile, we are learning, here at CruiseCritic, about many members' experiences under the new procedures being followed.  That is why we thought of asking the above question about the health questionnaire now.  You see, if we would NOT be permitted to wait until the last minute to fill out the questionnaire (in person, "dockside"), we would be unable to book any more cruises.  [By the way, we are fully vaccinated, in case you were wondering!]

8 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Hello, "Ken."

Although we have cruised over 30 times (including 15 with "X" and 6 with RCI), we have never used a travel agent.  We also do not yet have a cruise booked right now.  Due to [non-cruise-related] circumstances beyond our control, we will have to wait until mid-August before we can book a cruise. 

Meanwhile, we are learning, here at CruiseCritic, about many members' experiences under the new procedures being followed.  That is why we thought of asking the above question about the health questionnaire now.  You see, if we would NOT be permitted to wait until the last minute to fill out the questionnaire (in person, "dockside"), we would be unable to book any more cruises.  [By the way, we are fully vaccinated, in case you were wondering!]

Sounds reasonable. Then, my best uninformed guess is that you will be asked to fill out the form once you arrive at the terminal. We noticed on our March 2020 cruise on the Equinox, which we booked only 2 days prior but after online check-in had closed, we had to actually go to the counter to check in as well as fill out the health form. I would think it would be the same this time, probably when you are first greeted in the terminal when they ask to physically see your proof of vaccine. But, again, that's just an my uninformed guess. 😎

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds reasonable. Then, my best uninformed guess is that you will be asked to fill out the form once you arrive at the terminal. We noticed on our March 2020 cruise on the Equinox, which we booked only 2 days prior but after online check-in had closed, we had to actually go to the counter to check in as well as fill out the health form. I would think it would be the same this time, probably when you are first greeted in the terminal when they ask to physically see your proof of vaccine. But, again, that's just an my uninformed guess. 😎

Thanks for your reassuring words, Ken. 

We hope that your "uninformed guess" is a good one!

(Meaning no disrespect, but we would feel even more reassured if someone has had the actual experience, with "thumbs-up" results, during the last few weeks.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Feet said:

Can u keep in mind we didnt know times were being issued for wellness check.  Our flight gets in at 1130 and our well best check is 230. What r we suppose to do wonder the airport for 2.5 hrs. OR hope there would be some consideration and check us in?  A little thought might be nice by cele.

In the past many many passengers arrived early.  That, just as today,  created long lines.  We sometimes were checked in earlier that our check in time.  Sometimes were told to wait outside or a holding area.  Twice everyone waited for hours until CDC cleared the ship or some other problem.