LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes it was organized for first time having two ships, just not sure it was a good idea to co mingle ships. Taking the bus like this one would have no idea how to do contact tracing plus the buses were packed not separated seating like HAL did for transfers to the pier.

Agree, that IS risky, all HAL's efforts could be trumped by a ship making less of an effort.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I'm good with that, as long as I get tipped.  😁

(doesn't look like crew wears the one that has the logos all over it from pics I've seen so far, just the one that has the single logo off to the side)

True they do not wear the mask with the logos all over it. Interesting though the security crew at the gangway wear the generic disposable masks.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I would be interested about the quality of the evening entertainment along Music Walk?🎶🎶🎶

Sorry, Someone else may need to answer, Tom and I just don’t do a lot of night life, plus we tend to not want to sit close around people we don’t know. We have not checked out any entertainment. Don’t know if we will get a chance to.

• Like 5

THANK YOU Lisa for this “LIVE” thread and all my fellow enthusiasts contributing. You have collectively convinced me to book the 8/14 sailing and assisted in planning my nightly dining venues!!! 
Upselling myself was unassisted and no one’s fault but my own.

Taking Dear Sister. Her first Alaska and first HAL voyage ( !!Mo exclamations!!)

<take THAT punctuation police>

Lisa, you have already answered most every question I could think up .. but here’s two 

1. Are the common area saunas operating and available ?

2. How are the penguins holding up?

Safe Travels All

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Sorry, Someone else may need to answer, Tom and I just don’t do a lot of night life, plus we tend to not want to sit close around people we don’t know. We have not checked out any entertainment. Don’t know if we will get a chance to.

Was the Pinnacle open for lunch any of the port days (other than Glacier Bay/Icy Strait point)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks Thanks for replying but most of all thanks  for taking us along. Looking forward to having the same experience after next week. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1

The weather here in Ketchikan has cleared up and there is actually some sun shining through those clouds. We walked into town, first stopping in Tongass Trading Post. Always good buys there, excellent prices. Then wen across the street to have lunch at Annebell’s which has been a Ketchikan tradition for lunch for many years. Tom of course had to have his Halibut Fish and Chips.

We then headed back to the ship. 

This afternoon I needed to call the Club Orange Concierge to see if they could Assist, we have had several charges on our statement for items covered on the Signature Beverage Package. Stupid things like cans of water, a can of Ginger Ale and my Riesling and a beer for Tom when we had lunch in the Pinnacle. 
Anyway I decided to ask about if there will be a   Mariner Reception or lunch on the last day. She quickly answered they would not be having any Mariner gatherings the whole Alaska season. I then asked about the 4 and 5 reception that was held on Sunday. She then stated “You did not get your invitation?” The answer to that is no. She then said she would have the Beverage department check into the items charged and have her supervisor call me. 
I later got a call from the Guest Relations Manager who was actually immediately a bit rude. She started out saying you were invited to that Mariner party I prepared the invitation myself. Then goes on to say your cabin steward delivered it to you. Again, no we did not receive. It was then a Oh Well that is too bad you did not get it.

I expected hiccups but not to be treated rudely. 
The problems with getting charges you should not have has been going on long before the pause. 
It really is sad that you have to continue to watch this kind of stuff. Tonight I will go back to the shops to get our 5% discount they did not give us. You can call me cheap but that is $6.00 plus with the other charges it’s $22.00 worth of mistake. They do add up.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, zgscl said:

Was the Pinnacle open for lunch any of the port days (other than Glacier Bay/Icy Strait point)

I honestly do not know that answer. Sorry, I will ask or at least try to remember to ask when we Dine there tomorrow night.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, O2cruise21 said:

THANK YOU Lisa for this “LIVE” thread and all my fellow enthusiasts contributing. You have collectively convinced me to book the 8/14 sailing and assisted in planning my nightly dining venues!!! 
Upselling myself was unassisted and no one’s fault but my own.

Taking Dear Sister. Her first Alaska and first HAL voyage ( !!Mo exclamations!!)

<take THAT punctuation police>

Lisa, you have already answered most every question I could think up .. but here’s two 

1. Are the common area saunas operating and available ?

2. How are the penguins holding up?

Safe Travels All

David

I believe everything is open, but who knows if that will continue, just like not having to wear face masks on board. I honestly would not be surprised to have them start requiring.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This afternoon I needed to call the Club Orange Concierge to see if they could Assist, we have had several charges on our statement for items covered on the Signature Beverage Package. Stupid things like cans of water, a can of Ginger Ale and my Riesling and a beer for Tom when we had lunch in the Pinnacle. 
Anyway I decided to ask about if there will be a   Mariner Reception or lunch on the last day. She quickly answered they would not be having any Mariner gatherings the whole Alaska season. I then asked about the 4 and 5 reception that was held on Sunday. She then stated “You did not get your invitation?” The answer to that is no. She then said she would have the Beverage department check into the items charged and have her supervisor call me. 
I later got a call from the Guest Relations Manager who was actually immediately a bit rude. She started out saying you were invited to that Mariner party I prepared the invitation myself. Then goes on to say your cabin steward delivered it to you. Again, no we did not receive. It was then a Oh Well that is too bad you did not get it.

The problems with getting charges you should not have has been going on long before the pause. 
It really is sad that you have to continue to watch this kind of stuff. Tonight I will go back to the shops to get our 5% discount they did not give us. You can call me cheap but that is $6.00 plus with the other charges it’s $22.00 worth of mistake. They do add up.

Oh I forgot to mention what they offered for not getting invited to the Mariner Party, they offered to give us another card for the DAM drink. So I said what good does that do when one already has the Signature Beverage Package. She then stated that is a Special Drink for Mariner. I have no idea what it is who knows maybe it’s a Wang Wang with an extra Wang in it 😂 at this point one just has to laugh.

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

Lisa so sorry you received such a poor response to the 4/5 star reception. I’d be contacting Mariner Society for a follow up. Does this mean no tiles are being given out?  So much for nothing has changed from before.  😱

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The weather here in Ketchikan has cleared up and there is actually some sun shining through those clouds. We walked into town, first stopping in Tongass Trading Post. Always good buys there, excellent prices. Then wen across the street to have lunch at Annebell’s which has been a Ketchikan tradition for lunch for many years. Tom of course had to have his Halibut Fish and Chips.

We then headed back to the ship. 

Hi Lisa, 

Sorry to hear of the hiccups.  I would go back to the shops as well for the additional percent off.  Did you happen to speak with Seth about not receiving the card for the 4 and 5 star reception.  As he is brand ambassador you would think that he would fix something more substantial for you.  It was the moment that you missed, the gathering,  some drink ticket can’t offset that.  
Mary

• Like 2

My daughter (30) says that the evening entertainment has been great. She likes BB King. It has been hopping every night. There always seems to be a crowd for the dueling pianos.  The Lincoln Center is standing room only

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Oh I forgot to mention what they offered for not getting invited to the Mariner Party, they offered to give us another card for the DAM drink. So I said what good does that do when one already has the Signature Beverage Package. She then stated that is a Special Drink for Mariner. I have no idea what it is who knows maybe it’s a Wang Wang with an extra Wang in it 😂 at this point one just has to laugh.

That is funny.

Overall, my review of the cruise is that it has been outstanding. The Crew is extremely happy to be back on board and it shows in their performance as well as the people in port. We have eaten twice in the Pinnacle Grill and both meals were exceptional. We had lobster last night in the PG. The weather has been perfect. Anybody who is having second thoughts needs to put those where they belong. Cruising is back!

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I believe everything is open, but who knows if that will continue, just like not having to wear face masks on board. I honestly would not be surprised to have them start requiring.

Good luck trying to enforce wearing masks on a ship that is 100% vaccinated.  Everyone is going to be walking around with food or drink so they don't have to wear a mask. 

3 minutes ago, jakers said:

Overall, my review of the cruise is that it has been outstanding. The Crew is extremely happy to be back on board and it shows in their performance as well as the people in port. We have eaten twice in the Pinnacle Grill and both meals were exceptional. We had lobster last night in the PG. The weather has been perfect. Anybody who is having second thoughts needs to put those where they belong. Cruising is back!

Great to hear. I am on the August 21 sailing. On a cruise.  To Alaska.  Yippee 🤗

• Like 1