LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

At times, yes 😉 I like the style of former HAL captain Hans Mateboer who wrote several, if you include his children books. And a veteran Dutch security officer by the name of Cornelis "Cor" Meijer "Ome Cor" / Uncle Cor (the big guy on the left in the 2nd pic) also wrote a book (in Dutch) about his experiences. Having said that, I wrote a book about the history of the PD I worked for and it (researching/gathering and writing/typing) takes a lot of one's time. So then, I come back to my senses 🙂  

Oh my goodness!  Is your book still available?  One of my very best friends is retired LA PD.  I'd love a copy for me and for her.

Glad you had a nice day for your excursion in Sitka.  Brings back happy memories of my very first cruise. 😊

I’ve been enjoying your review and pictures.  Thank you taking time to report to us especially since the WiFi has been uncooperative at times.

-MM

• Like 1

Here are pictures of todays Where and When and last nights dinner menu.

Good Morning from Ketchikan, as I suspected the WiFi went down immediately after my last post last night. I stayed up a while but gave up. 
We definitely arrived much earlier in Ketchikan so have my Verizon cell service now.

Unless things change for future Alaska cruises If you absolutely need WiFi to work I would not count on it. I also would not purchase if you do not have it included with your reservation.

Unfortunately HAL did not upgrade their WiFi but now with including the WiFi with the Have it All the ship just does not have the bandwidth to be able to work.

AB25DEAD-8976-4D10-A2C4-28D856CE05DF.jpeg

313A2185-378A-4B1F-997B-C0520AFCAB62.jpeg

0AA438EC-7DA6-4D57-84E2-1F244EC53DD8.jpeg

CE1C3D50-936C-41AF-811A-2F6FC2F46018.jpeg

DD1F1104-5C19-4FD9-82A2-7CC79B96BF73.jpeg

3923A657-DDC4-49AD-B686-6D1E0F44A570.jpeg

3CA8AD9D-4167-4A60-AF6B-0DB4FB5B45E0.jpeg

8A7F99AF-1645-4679-9F68-4D1C5F6EC646.png

542165B9-996D-4855-AD6E-B985CCB902BC.png

• Like 19

We also watched an amazing sunset from our aft cabin last night. What amazed me is that it took a very long time for the sun to move and even set. In Mexico, Caribbean and especially Hawaii those sunsets go quickly but not up hear in Alaska during the summer.

01B884C7-132F-47CE-8F31-30A944F645A1.jpeg

A3DE9013-3F06-4BFA-8754-9530C230E65A.jpeg

D92B7746-C95A-4C7E-9A49-6309457CE28D.jpeg

E7A5D4D7-6C8F-4827-BD42-8E4FA178F5F4.jpeg

5DB75A00-F74B-4D39-BA17-68B25E0A8980.jpeg

39E8547F-BBF9-4A92-9C6F-0C778B09E522.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonahCBrown said:

Just heard about massive earthquake in Aleutians and tsunami warning for Alaska.  You folks okay?

I get notifications on my phone about earthquakes but had my cell service turned off last night so When I opened my phone this morning I saw this. We were definitely fine being at sea.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

As I mentioned last night, lots of Logo wear in the shops that arrived in Juneau.

We were given 10% discount for being 4 star, I cannot remember if that was what it should be or not.

Actually, the 4-Star Mariner discount should have been 15%.  Here is the text from the HAL website that might help you get the difference back.. Good luck!

• A 15% discount on select Holland America Line logo clothing sold onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • Like 4

Typical HAL - offer a promo which overwhelms the abilities of the system!  I dislike it when they offer free specialty dining as well, as it takes up many time slots.

Thats what happens when the bean counters get involved - low incrimental cost they calculate, but they forget the input on others paying for it.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Actually, the 4-Star Mariner discount should have been 15%.  Here is the text from the HAL website that might help you get the difference back.. Good luck!

• A 15% discount on select Holland America Line logo clothing sold onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

Thanks for letting me know.

we have also been charged for A few of Tom’s beers and a couple of glasses of my Riesling a few days ago so need to have that removed.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks for letting me know.

we have also been charged for A few of Tom’s beers and a couple of glasses of my Riesling a few days ago so need to have that removed.

Disappointing to hear about the wifi especially now they have given it away to everyone. 

Can you advise what time the MDR opened for breakfast today with the early port arrival? 

29 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

As I mentioned last night, lots of Logo wear in the shops that arrived in Juneau.

We were given 10% discount for being 4 star, I cannot remember if that was what it should be or not.

94C2339D-6E95-4C33-9A96-9C14D39A9508.jpeg

34F18F4D-A237-4C97-822E-73B5AEDA732C.jpeg

E3C3D548-20B8-4C54-A229-33D8F2629186.jpeg

Probably still no logo masks though?

41 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We also watched an amazing sunset from our aft cabin last night. What amazed me is that it took a very long time for the sun to move and even set. In Mexico, Caribbean and especially Hawaii those sunsets go quickly but not up hear in Alaska during the summer.

A3DE9013-3F06-4BFA-8754-9530C230E65A.jpeg

Did you see the green flash?

The green flash is an optical phenomenon that you can see shortly after sunset or before sunrise. It happens when the sun is almost entirely below the horizon, with the barest edge of the sun – the upper edge – still visible. For a second or two, that upper rim of the sun will appear green in color

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Did you see the green flash?

The green flash is an optical phenomenon that you can see shortly after sunset or before sunrise. It happens when the sun is almost entirely below the horizon, with the barest edge of the sun – the upper edge – still visible. For a second or two, that upper rim of the sun will appear green in color

I was going to ask about that, too.  But then I thought that perhaps it only ever appears closer to the equator than Alaska is!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

A heads up  - two pax were tested yesterday onboard Nieuw A because they displayed "Covid-like" symptoms (one had developed a cough and the other had "Montezuma's Alaskan cousin's revenge" is prob the best way to put it).

Both were Covid-19 tested onboard by Nieuw A's dedicated medical staff with negative results for the disease.

As a result. there are, as of today, zero confirmed Covid cases onboard Nieuw A and let's keep it that way!

Thanks for this news. Prayers for those who are feeling unwell. Do you know the reason she is coded Orange for a 2nd day in a row, with today’s update (data from 7/28)? Thanks so much!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

nope they want the flight number and they say they check.  I do not believe that the airlines would tell them the passenger list.  I thought about selecting a flight number from the list.

Who knows. I have seen folks walk up to the driver and ask if any availability and just tip him or her to take them to the airport.  I think I will stick with the cab who can take me to my hotel 1/2 mile from airport as I am flying out the next day.  Most flights to east coast are in the evening and I have done my 9 hours or so at the SeaTac airport but no more.

Check out "Seattle Express".  It is a shuttle service and they pick up and return you to certain hotels.  We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Sea Tac as that is on the list.  We have used them before and they are very reliable.  We are staying one night pre-cruise and one night post-cruise.  The hotel also offers transportation to and from the airport. And they even have a complementary hot breakfast!

• Like 1