LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

Good morning from Sitka, still no WiFi on the ship this morning and cell service would also not work not till we got to town did we have 4G LTE Verizon.

we are in town at the Sitka Welcome Center waiting to take our tour Sea Otter Quest and Fortress of the Bear 😃Been waiting to take this tour for years. Or at least get to Fortress of the Bear.

Hint for Future cruises you will need to shut off you phone and reboot for some reason in each port. I had to do that in Juneau as well as Sitka, it still did not work in ICP. We are hearing everyone saying they needed to reboot their phone.

Beautiful day here in Sitka but very cool if not in the sun.

They are requiring us to wear face masks off the ship.

6383B7F2-3EAE-40B9-94A0-B7C3BC4232B6.jpeg

D3CB3ABC-D2BF-4372-8EDB-5449918F9B7B.jpeg

EBDDBD81-CB2B-4FD0-A5CE-0775E86E7894.jpeg

E877C136-AEFB-4CC1-8272-5E140B45D09F.jpeg

5A05D098-BC8B-4EA5-A395-FCBB3102AEA1.jpeg

D3A67B10-56EB-4DD8-8CC0-1931FF6E2868.jpeg

A1849E4D-7C18-425E-96DF-F3880F291A68.jpeg

6172925C-96E1-4D66-B212-89B38A097408.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Lisa, I am enjoying your "live from" and thanks so much for taking the time to do it.  One of our most favorite things is whale watching.  If there is an opportunity to do it, we do it!  I will be interested in hearing how your otter tour and the bear tour goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Flat-rate Taxi Info - Pier 91 to Seatac

🚕

Since so many of us that will be sailing Alaska this summer are following this thread, I figured it was a good place to share info re: the flat-rate taxis from the pier to the airport. 

I just spoke with Yellow Taxi (206-343-4380) who confirmed the rate is $45 this year (that's per taxi, not per person), they accept credit cards, and there will be plenty of taxis lined up just outside the terminal ready to go as soon as we start disembarking so no need to pre-arrange.  

hey thanks as I am glad I stumbled across this.

Since my flight is the next day, my ship (RCI) won't allow me to purchase an airport transfer unless my flight is that day.  I say silly and why would they care when I fly once I am off the ship..

so good to know. I fly in a day early and will grab a cab too.  In fact given covid, it might even be better to take a cab with so many less folks than a bus.

• Like 1

I see that the CDC color coded site has changed the Nieuw Amsterdam to orange, from green, meaning the CDC is monitoring for COVID. Just curious if you have heard any news about this on board?  

According to the CDC orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.  

CDC Cruise Ship Color Status

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 12.18.26 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good morning from Sitka, still no WiFi on the ship this morning and cell service would also not work not till we got to town did we have 4G LTE Verizon.

we are in town at the Sitka Welcome Center waiting to take our tour Sea Otter Quest and Fortress of the Bear 😃Been waiting to take this tour for years. Or at least get to Fortress of the Bear.

Hint for Future cruises you will need to shut off you phone and reboot for some reason in each port. I had to do that in Juneau as well as Sitka, it still did not work in ICP. We are hearing everyone saying they needed to reboot their phone.

Beautiful day here in Sitka but very cool if not in the sun.

They are requiring us to wear face masks off the ship.

6383B7F2-3EAE-40B9-94A0-B7C3BC4232B6.jpeg

D3CB3ABC-D2BF-4372-8EDB-5449918F9B7B.jpeg

EBDDBD81-CB2B-4FD0-A5CE-0775E86E7894.jpeg

E877C136-AEFB-4CC1-8272-5E140B45D09F.jpeg

5A05D098-BC8B-4EA5-A395-FCBB3102AEA1.jpeg

D3A67B10-56EB-4DD8-8CC0-1931FF6E2868.jpeg

A1849E4D-7C18-425E-96DF-F3880F291A68.jpeg

6172925C-96E1-4D66-B212-89B38A097408.jpeg

Nice pic.

Please forgive me if you commented on this and I missed it.   How was the WIFI onboard the ship while docked in Juneau?    Unfortunately, I must do a bit of work on our Juneau day, probably in the evening after our tour.    Did you find it worked okay?     I really appreciate that you've been mentioning WIFI and cell service, because it is important to those of us who cannot completely disconnect.  

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Flat-rate Taxi Info - Pier 91 to Seatac

🚕

Since so many of us that will be sailing Alaska this summer are following this thread, I figured it was a good place to share info re: the flat-rate taxis from the pier to the airport. 

I just spoke with Yellow Taxi (206-343-4380) who confirmed the rate is $45 this year (that's per taxi, not per person), they accept credit cards, and there will be plenty of taxis lined up just outside the terminal ready to go as soon as we start disembarking so no need to pre-arrange.  

Thx for posting this....  is the $45 flat rate good FROM SeaTac to Pier 91 also?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

I see that the CDC color coded site has changed the Nieuw Amsterdam to orange, from green, meaning the CDC is monitoring for COVID. Just curious if you have heard any news about this on board?  

According to the CDC orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.  

Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that NA was in Juneau with Celebrity Millennium which had someone test positive and sent them home via air ambulance as part of (I believe) RCI's (maybe all cruise lines?) protocol.  Hopefully someone currently on NA can shed more light.

27 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I hope you are right!  We have this excursion booked

I agree!  In July 2019 we saw more whales on this tour than on the "whale watch" in Juneau!  Lots of activity all around the excursion boat...Allen Marine.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hey thanks as I am glad I stumbled across this.

Since my flight is the next day, my ship (RCI) won't allow me to purchase an airport transfer unless my flight is that day.  I say silly and why would they care when I fly once I am off the ship..

so good to know. I fly in a day early and will grab a cab too.  In fact given covid, it might even be better to take a cab with so many less folks than a bus.

I can’t believe they won’t just sell you the bus transfer (assuming it isn’t luggage direct you need) 

Just now, zgscl said:

I can’t believe they won’t just sell you the bus transfer (assuming it isn’t luggage direct you need) 

nope they want the flight number and they say they check.  I do not believe that the airlines would tell them the passenger list.  I thought about selecting a flight number from the list.

Who knows. I have seen folks walk up to the driver and ask if any availability and just tip him or her to take them to the airport.  I think I will stick with the cab who can take me to my hotel 1/2 mile from airport as I am flying out the next day.  Most flights to east coast are in the evening and I have done my 9 hours or so at the SeaTac airport but no more.

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

nope they want the flight number and they say they check.  I do not believe that the airlines would tell them the passenger list.  I thought about selecting a flight number from the list.

Who knows. I have seen folks walk up to the driver and ask if any availability and just tip him or her to take them to the airport.  I think I will stick with the cab who can take me to my hotel 1/2 mile from airport as I am flying out the next day.  Most flights to east coast are in the evening and I have done my 9 hours or so at the SeaTac airport but no more.

I am using Seattle Express for our transportation from hotel to ship and then ship to airport.  It was $20 pp each trip and they would go to the hotel from the ship.

Seattle transfers   from the airport take the light rail downtown..   it is a bit of a walk from the airport yet you won’t get stuck in traffic.  Then take a cab or Uber to the terminal.   

From the terminal take a cab or Uber from the ship to downtown light rail station then  light rail to the airport.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

It says the data was submitted yesterday, so I am a bit surprised there’s been no announcement if it is connected to this sailing. I wonder if it’s connected to the test sailing? We know about the situation aboard X Millennium, but they are coded Yellow (Nieuw Amsterdam was also Yellow last week, too, with data reported 7/20 and then went Green mid-day 7/22).

Best wishes and safe travels to all!

22 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We took a cab from airport to Pier 91. It was $55 for both of us. (2019)

SS:  was that in a metered cab from SeaTac?  I'm asking because Seattle traffic is notoriously bad...  thx!

49 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I am using Seattle Express for our transportation from hotel to ship and then ship to airport.  It was $20 pp each trip and they would go to the hotel from the ship.

We booked round trip with Seattle Express for $35.00 each less 10% military (active or veteran)  discount.  (From our airport hotel to pier and then from ship to airport.  They also will go to airport hotels after your cruise.)  I just hope they are still reliable. Covid has left many companies with an employee shortage.

25 minutes ago, julia said:

SS:  was that in a metered cab from SeaTac?  I'm asking because Seattle traffic is notoriously bad...  thx!

Here's a site we use. We took a cab from the airport "fixed price" of $55 to the pier. 

https://www.cruzely.com/how-to-get-from-the-seattle-airport-to-the-cruise-port-without-a-car/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

It says the data was submitted yesterday, so I am a bit surprised there’s been no announcement if it is connected to this sailing. I wonder if it’s connected to the test sailing? We know about the situation aboard X Millennium, but they are coded Yellow (Nieuw Amsterdam was also Yellow last week, too, with data reported 7/20 and then went Green mid-day 7/22).

Best wishes and safe travels to all!

Yes, you are correct, it was changed yesterday.  However, when the NA set sail, it was green. Curious why and when this changed and how it is being communicated on board.   Totally agree with you @syesmar  safe travels to all!

• Like 1