Now need a test EVEN if vaccinated!

23 minutes ago, BND said:

What?  I wasn't referring to the CDC. I was referring to Royal changing up their rules.  I don't need your sarcasm when you have absolutely no clue what I was referring to.  But, the vaccine was originally developed to prevent hospitalizations and deaths, not infections.  People seem to forget that little tidbit.

It is the same with Royal, their rules are going to change as this virus changes.  And I have no idea where you got your information, the primary goal of the vaccine was to prevent the spread of the virus, because of the mechanics of this particular virus, it also prevented serious illness and high viral loads in people which did not get immunity.  The goal was 100% immunity, but it was known that was almost an impossibility.  As for who you were referring to, Royal was not involved in the development of the vaccine at all, so why would Royal forget anything about it?

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/index.html

35 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

You only have a 10% chance of catching Covid once vaccinated. So, not everyone who is vaccinated will get Covid. 

Yes. But this week [at least] 6 fully vaccinated cruise ship passengers tested positive onboard and where disembarked (2 in Freeport and 4 in Juneau). So,,, this thread is "why test if I am vaccinated",,, it because the vaccines do not prevent you from catching COVID. 

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

I'm fully vaxxed and not cruising until all this crap (to put it nicely) regarding testing, mask wearing onboard (NOT going to happen for me), etc. is done with. I'm willing to wait a year, two years or more, whatever it takes.  Have done several wonderful land trips the last 16 months and will gladly do several more until cruising returns to an experience we can enjoy.  If it means never cruising again, so be it.

You are well within your rights  and wise to follow your convictions.  I really appreciate your attitude.  It is refreshing.

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. But this week [at least] 6 fully vaccinated cruise ship passengers tested positive onboard and where disembarked (2 in Freeport and 4 in Juneau). So,,, this thread is "why test if I am vaccinated",,, it because the vaccines do not prevent you from catching COVID. 

I agree and support the testing process. If anyone told me I had 10% chance of winning the lottery, I'd be out buying tickets... 

Edited by MommaBear55
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I think it's more about the vaccines don't prevent you from carrying around COVID and infecting others.  That's why we'll likely have to go back to wearing masks and doing the tests.  If they were allowed to only take vaccinated individuals then things might be different, but the cruise lines get a bunch of cries of "unfair" and "what about my kids" when they suggest that idea.  They are kind of between a rock and hard place of enforce protocols or don't sail (make some business or go out of business).

I don't have any idea how to get tested, but it's got to be pretty straightforward and painless since so many are doing it now.  In our case, we have until September to figure it out, but are assuming we'll need testing even with vaccination.  Wearing a mask is simple... I figured that out all by myself 🙂

I think we should wear seatbelts even when we are outside our car.

thats the level of panic and fear on this forum. I cant believe some of these responses. Some people here are just fine with all their rights being taken away. Unbelievable. Truly. Just a bunch of sheep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I agree and support the testing process. If anyone told me I had 10% chance of winning the lottery, I'd be out buying tickets... 

its not correct. You dont have a 10% chance of getting covid. Completely wrong what was said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

That was the original intent of the vaccine.  Now, they're changing up the rules forgetting why the vaccine was developed.  No one should be surprised that vaxxed people are testing positive, still in very, very small numbers.  It's expected.

That was never the intent of the vaccines. The vaccines have always been to minimize the potential for serious or fatal illness when you catch COVID; Preventing serious illness 95% of the time with Pfizer and Monderna and 66% of the time with J&J when you catch COVID. 

1 hour ago, BND said:

That was the original intent of the vaccine.  Now, they're changing up the rules forgetting why the vaccine was developed.  No one should be surprised that vaxxed people are testing positive, still in very, very small numbers.  It's expected.

1 hour ago, BND said:

I’m still confused about the “very small numbers”. The Providencetown, MA incident has me very concerned. I mean it doesn’t seem like anyone is getting extremely sick but 74% of the positive cases are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

I wonder if this increase in cases, the 6 cases on Adventurer of the Seas that is getting loads of media coverage and impacted the stock by 3.15 points today, and pushback the company is getting from cruisers will result in RCI re-evaluating their protocols and instituting a 95% vaccinated rate.  I think it would be a smart move.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

I’m still confused about the “very small numbers”. The Providencetown, MA incident has me very concerned. I mean it doesn’t seem like anyone is getting extremely sick but 74% of the positive cases are fully vaccinated.

If your in a big crowd of people and no one is wearing a mask you can certainly become infected  by the unvaccinated.  Without knowing anyone’s status it’s best to avoid big crowds.

26 minutes ago, mavo68 said:

I personally see that as a "one off" as there are no others like it.  

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

That was never the intent of the vaccines. The vaccines have always been to minimize the potential for serious or fatal illness when you catch COVID; Preventing serious illness 95% of the time with Pfizer and Monderna and 66% of the time with J&J when you catch COVID. 

You are stating what I said. If the intent was to minimize the potential for serious or fatal illness, how is that not the same as preventing hospitalizations and deaths?  The original intent was to minimize the impact on the hospitals and that was all we heard originally about the vaccine.  It is amazing how quickly people forget what was originally discussed and reported at the beginning of this pandemic.

Edited by BND

On 7/29/2021 at 7:26 PM, BecciBoo said:

I mean what is the point of being vaccinated if you must jump through all these hoops.   The amount of break through is not enough to justify this IMO.

I feel your pain. Ignore the creepy comment to stsy home.

I cancelled NCL Encore for late Aug as they were doing manditory testing and AT THE PORT.

So I am wondering about my trip in 6 weeks for Ovation. If I get the nose test and the results take too long or get lost, that means my fly in day before the cruise will be running around Seattle trying to get a test.

I mean at least NCL is doing at the pier with backup PCR by ship.

Hmm thanks a lot RCI for the mad scramble. I can only hope Sept will be different. Could kick myself for booking Ovation since I have sailed her in 2019

1 hour ago, BND said:

I personally see that as a "one off" as there are no others like it.  

The county health authorities that actually report somewhat decent data are around 20 -25 percent vaccinated getting covid as of late July numbers. This is increasing at a fairly fast pace that was around 8 percent in May.

For other states that publish data like Utah, it's clear breakthrough cases have accelerated in the past two months. In Utah on June 2, 2021, just 27 or 8 percent of the 312 new cases in the state were breakthrough cases. As of July 26 there were 519 new cases and almost 20 percent or 94 were breakthroughs, according to state data.

In Oklahoma, where cases are up by 67 percent, state officials broke down the data to show that for residents who got Johnson & Johnson vaccine the incidents of breakthrough were greater at 160 per 100,000 people compared to 93 per 100,000 for Moderna.

Even among states that track cases closely, officials cautioned data is likely incomplete. Vaccinated people who are infected but asymptomatic are probably largely missing from statistics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

If your in a big crowd of people and no one is wearing a mask you can certainly become infected  by the unvaccinated.  Without knowing anyone’s status it’s best to avoid big crowds.

Or now, with Delta, apparently the vaccinated…. You gotta keep up.