What time to arrive

NaomiW

13 minutes ago, Cruiserjules said:

Naomi

Don't know if this helps but we are Caribbean Tier and our friends onboard are Ligurian.  Their time at testing was 11.45am and ours was 12.00noon.   They were onboard by 1pm and us about 10 minutes after. them.

Thank you, that is helpful.. I think I will aim for 12 ish but if I get a later time closer to then I can always adjust, or find somewhere to have a coffee. I think that I have enough info to decide against booking a hotel anyway 😀

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I think I have enough info to decide that I probably dont need a hotel which was my main query really.

Just a bit of feedback, I realize I was probably being oversensitive before but it really felt like I was being admonished for making a simple assumption based on how things had always been before and I found that quite upsetting. 

I am largely a browser of this site and do see mainly support towards each other which Id love to be a part of, but there is also a fair bit of telling off, bristling towards and even mocking of people who may be inexperienced cruisers and get things wrong, or may just have different opinons, and it really does put myself and I imagine others off posting, when we just have genuine questions or want to get involved.. sorry for the long post, hope this doesnt cause offense

• Like 7

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, you will be allocated a time, not necessarily the earliest, and if you arrive before that time, suite or not, you will be turned away.

Are you sure wowzz? We all know that the IT system does not take suite or top tier benefits into account, and to take advantage of the loyalty lunch you need to board early.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you sure wowzz? We all know that the IT system does not take suite or top tier benefits into account, and to take advantage of the loyalty lunch you need to board early.

If in a suite you are allocated the first testing / boarding times. Two sets of friends have told us that is what happened with them. And a number of Ligurian friends have said they have been on board by 13.00. Of course it may have been different on the maiden cruise with  so many higher tiers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

John - I would hope that the P&O IT system automatically allocates suite and top tier passengers early boarding/testing times. But, we all know that P&O IT services are a little lacking!

So, do all suite and loyalty passengers just ignore the times they have been given, and cause mayhem at the testing centre, by turning up early,  or do they accept  that we are living in difficult times, and follow the  rules.

And really, is missing lunch really a big deal! First world problem springs to mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

John - I would hope that the P&O IT system automatically allocates suite and top tier passengers early boarding/testing times. But, we all know that P&O IT services are a little lacking!

So, do all suite and loyalty passengers just ignore the times they have been given, and cause mayhem at the testing centre, by turning up early,  or do they accept  that we are living in difficult times, and follow the  rules.

And really, is missing lunch really a big deal! First world problem springs to mind. 

No they are given early times.See above

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NaomiW said:

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I think I have enough info to decide that I probably dont need a hotel which was my main query really.

Just a bit of feedback, I realize I was probably being oversensitive before but it really felt like I was being admonished for making a simple assumption based on how things had always been before and I found that quite upsetting. 

I am largely a browser of this site and do see mainly support towards each other which Id love to be a part of, but there is also a fair bit of telling off, bristling towards and even mocking of people who may be inexperienced cruisers and get things wrong, or may just have different opinons, and it really does put myself and I imagine others off posting, when we just have genuine questions or want to get involved.. sorry for the long post, hope this doesnt cause offense

Naomi, take no notice of those who are rude to you. I have friends who have been in a suite in the las week or so and they were given 12.00 they arrived about 11.40 and were through by 12. And boarded by 12.30ish.

Gan Canny 

Dai

• Like 5

19 hours ago, NaomiW said:

Naomi, 

Take no notice of the odd 'spiky' poster on here, I have learnt that they don't mean any harm, I believe they genuinely are trying to help but just come across rude... 

This forum is for asking questions and you will find most posters welcoming and helpful, so please don't be put off. 

Have a great cruise, whatever time you arrive... 

Andy 

• Like 11

I have a deluxe balcony for next weeks Iona cruise and I am Caribbean tier, not exactly the rarefied Baltic or Ligurian. My Ocean Terminal arrival time is 12 noon and I plan to arrive a few minutes early by taxi from the hotel to allow for dropping off luggage. Hopefully there will not be a long queue of grossly early chancers.

It is a nice day I might even walk from the hotel, about a 35 minute stroll, however they might not allow foot passengers in the port gate?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

It’s been a while since we had a suite, but for many years suite passengers were allocated random (incorrect) boarding times and elsewhere there was a note saying that suite passengers should ignore their stated boarding times as their boarding time would be 12pm (or 12.30pm, can’t remember which). The same note said that ‘P&O were working on a solution so that the correct boarding time would be shown’, but given the fact that P&Os IT is beyond useless this never happened. Maybe it’s been sorted now, I don’t know. 

When we booked suites we enjoyed the ability to turn up early before the worst of the crowds and be first on the ship (on two cruises we were actually the first two passengers to board). We learned to skip the priority boarders buffet lunch (as it was poor quality) and headed to the Glass House, where we had a very relaxing lunch (often the only customers in there) and booked our tasting dinners and speciality lunches (such as Sindhu Tiffin lunch) and dinners with the waiters, getting first pick. A lovely way to start a cruise whilst the hustle and bustle of the main boarding period all unfolded ashore - and that was before all the extra hassle of covid testing etc.

So, yes, some may say first world problems, but when you have paid a premium for a suite you want to make sure that you get all the benefits that you have paid for and being on board for lunch, especially now that it’s a proper meal, is one of them. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Rules are for the guidance of wise men (like me) and the observance of fools.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, NaomiW said:

Please don't take offence Naomi. Sometimes the written word can be read in a way that it wasn't intended. Wowzz is a genuinely helpful poster but he tends to be a little economical with his words, and as a result it can sometimes come across a little brusque. I've only been posting for 18 months now, and am still learning other posters little foibles. Please don't give up and get to know us better. We're a good bunch, honestly🙂

Avril

• Like 7

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've "earnt" my lunch and I'm having it!!! 🤣.

Seriously though, we always go the loyalty embarkation.  It may not to be everyone's taste, but it is to ours.  And as Selbourne points out, it is now a sit down affair.  Usually it's quieter in there than the buffet, and it's a pleasant way to pass the time while cabins are still being prepped.  A couple of times I've picked a complimentary newspaper as well (Daily Telegraph!).  Oh, and the grog is free!! 🍷 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Please don't take offence Naomi. Sometimes the written word can be read in a way that it wasn't intended. Wowzz is a genuinely helpful poster but he tends to be a little economical with his words, and as a result it can sometimes come across a little brusque. I've only been posting for 18 months now, and am still learning other posters little foibles. Please don't give up and get to know us better. We're a good bunch, honestly🙂

Avril

Me? Brusque? Never!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:18 PM, NaomiW said:

Sorry, should clarify that we have a date-18th September, just not a boarding time yet

At 21 days before your sailing you will be able to print your E-ticket/boarding card and your arrival time is shown on this.

Previously we have had a cruise during boat week and booked a hotel well in advance.

We avoid this time now.

The traffic is particularly busy then so give yourself plenty of time.

I hope you have a super cruise.

Take care and stay safe 😷.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have a deluxe balcony for next weeks Iona cruise and I am Caribbean tier, not exactly the rarefied Baltic or Ligurian. My Ocean Terminal arrival time is 12 noon and I plan to arrive a few minutes early by taxi from the hotel to allow for dropping off luggage. Hopefully there will not be a long queue of grossly early chancers.

It is a nice day I might even walk from the hotel, about a 35 minute stroll, however they might not allow foot passengers in the port gate?

Hope you have a great cruise Dave and easy check in.

Graham.

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

It’s been a while since we had a suite, but for many years suite passengers were allocated random (incorrect) boarding times and elsewhere there was a note saying that suite passengers should ignore their stated boarding times as their boarding time would be 12pm (or 12.30pm, can’t remember which). The same note said that ‘P&O were working on a solution so that the correct boarding time would be shown’, but given the fact that P&Os IT is beyond useless this never happened. Maybe it’s been sorted now, I don’t know. 

When we booked suites we enjoyed the ability to turn up early before the worst of the crowds and be first on the ship (on two cruises we were actually the first two passengers to board). We learned to skip the priority boarders buffet lunch (as it was poor quality) and headed to the Glass House, where we had a very relaxing lunch (often the only customers in there) and booked our tasting dinners and speciality lunches (such as Sindhu Tiffin lunch) and dinners with the waiters, getting first pick. A lovely way to start a cruise whilst the hustle and bustle of the main boarding period all unfolded ashore - and that was before all the extra hassle of covid testing etc.

So, yes, some may say first world problems, but when you have paid a premium for a suite you want to make sure that you get all the benefits that you have paid for and being on board for lunch, especially now that it’s a proper meal, is one of them. 

Well nearly correct Selbourne, the suite passengers have always had first priority. But since they moved to boarding by deck the higher tier passengers were not identified and so were added into the mass of everyone else. The company then issued a notice to say that Caribbean members and above could ignore  the time given and turn up at earlier times, which were listed. Because your peninsular level is listed on your boarding information it could be easily checked.

Gan Canny

Dai 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, amfc_lenny said:

Have to admit I’m a little peeved that having booked a suite for what we thought was priority boarding there’s no priority testing, just potentially a very long queue.

We booked our first suite on a recent staycation, as low level Pacific members.  Our arrival time was for 12:00.  We joined the end of the queue that had already formed outside Ocean Terminal.  A member of the port team then came along the queue and called forward suite and high tier guests to go through and have their testing, as was our appropriate time.

Once our negative result had been received by text on our phones, ushered through the priority queue to check-in, and after a mix up with the seating for waiting for security to open, we were moved to wait in the priority boarding area.  Although no refreshments are available.  After this once security was opened, we were called through in our order of arrival at the priority area, and whisked through security and onboard before anyone was called forward.

Obviously that was for testing at Ocean, and not Mayflower, however once at Ocean you would be afforded the same priorities as they are at present.  For our trip, security did not open until 1.05 anyway, and a lot of people had arrived at the terminal by then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, daiB said:

Well nearly correct Selbourne, the suite passengers have always had first priority. But since they moved to boarding by deck the higher tier passengers were not identified and so were added into the mass of everyone else. The company then issued a notice to say that Caribbean members and above could ignore  the time given and turn up at earlier times, which were listed. Because your peninsular level is listed on your boarding information it could be easily checked.

Gan Canny

Dai 

As I say, it’s been a few years Dai, but are you saying that Suite passengers no longer get the first boarding slot?

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

As I say, it’s been a few years Dai, but are you saying that Suite passengers no longer get the first boarding slot?

No he is saying that its too complicated for the IT depts 2gb stringed abacus to cope with.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

No nothing has changed still first priority.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I've "earnt" my lunch and I'm having it!!! 🤣.

Seriously though, we always go the loyalty embarkation.  It may not to be everyone's taste, but it is to ours.  And as Selbourne points out, it is now a sit down affair.  Usually it's quieter in there than the buffet, and it's a pleasant way to pass the time while cabins are still being prepped.  A couple of times I've picked a complimentary newspaper as well (Daily Telegraph!).  Oh, and the grog is free!! 🍷 

There is a greater benefit boarding first on RCI. Free mags, a few goes on the flowrider and a fall, or 2 on the ice rink. I'm not too sure if that applies to Arcadia.