The Daily for Wednesday August 18, 2021

richwmn

Looks like the cool weather is finally here after a long, hot summer.  It was actually kind of foggy on our morning walk.  I expect to be a little uncomfortable this afternoon as today is the day I get my monthly eye injection for macular degeneration.  

I had to go back and look at the first page and @cat shepards description of the wine.  It is a cabernet sauvignon and every person who mentioned wine today talked about a pinot noir.  What is up with that?

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, richwmn said:

pre-covid when the ships were on a schedule the content was generated automatically each day and was just a cut and paste to post. I was on several cruises during that time and on most I did the post myself. During one cruise @kazu did the cut and paste. During my 40 day transpacific over several time zones a friend (not on CC) grabbed the info from me and posted each day under my account. I am able during other parts of the day to edit the information that will eventually appear, such as changes it the ships schedule.

The only holidays I have had in the last 18 months were at places in the Eastern time zone where I had internet access, so I did them my self.

Now that is really dedication! I'm sure every single person who visits the Daily appreciates all the work you do for us!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

cat shepard, I remember when I was allowed to remove the boot I had on my leg from a stress fracture (definitely not on a par with your full-length do), my leg felt very naked and exposed when it first came off!  You will have to give it some TLC.  

Thanks Ann. The brace doesn’t cover the entire surface of the leg, so at least some air can get to it. But I know my leg will feel 35 ounces lighter!😉 I suspect I will need some physical therapy, though I found a great exercise routine online - if my doc doesn’t refer me. 

It gradually reintroduces a bend while building up the leg muscles.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Looks like the cool weather is finally here after a long, hot summer.  It was actually kind of foggy on our morning walk.  I expect to be a little uncomfortable this afternoon as today is the day I get my monthly eye injection for macular degeneration.  

I had to go back and look at the first page and @cat shepards description of the wine.  It is a cabernet sauvignon and every person who mentioned wine today talked about a pinot noir.  What is up with that?

Many folk just wanted to recognize the fact that it was “Pinot Noir Day”!

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Today is Pinot Noir DAY. The wine of the day is a cab..

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yippee!  I have a new lawn care company.  I called and told the other company they were done as of now.  They had set September 1st.  I'm relieved that has been taken care of.  Now, on to the plumbing issues.

@St. Louis Salgreat news about your friend.   I'm so happy for the miracle!

Some pictures from Sunday's walk:

IMG_1117.thumb.jpg.4aeac7685a78e68580e1591f0f76ee04.jpg

IMG_1118.thumb.jpg.d61ce931a4e8612b7f2ad3cc0394dc95.jpg

IMG_1115.thumb.jpg.de387fd3ca70d35fc2c5466e389da3de.jpg

🌺Debbie, 3rd time for me trying to send this!’😡

Beautiful photos

Deniae😊

• Like 6

We sail Dec 12. Our included dining to reserve popped up today and I booked the 3 venues plus another Pinnacle. 

I'm wondering why I could not book anything (paid or included) for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or New Year's Eve in any dining room. Anyone know why? 

• Like 5

I just got the call that our little three-year-old DGD had a wonderful time on her very first day of preschool today.  No tears, all fun.  I've been on pins and needles all morning for her as she's so tiny and young.  But she's such a fire plug that we knew she would thrive at school.  So just three mornings a week...in the sweetest little uniform.  😊  

I don't remember being this nervous with my own kids.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We sail Dec 12. Our included dining to reserve popped up today and I booked the 3 venues plus another Pinnacle. 

I'm wondering why I could not book anything (paid or included) for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or New Year's Eve in any dining room. Anyone know why? 

Joy, I think I'd call and speak to someone, just in case.

We are booked on the holiday Mexico cruise, and early on the PG had just two seatings listed for NYE.  We were able to book the late seating.   Christmas Eve and Day, didn't check because CCers have reported that MDR is very festive on those days.  If no alternatives are showing for you,  maybe there is special fixed price dinner or some such?  New Year's Day we show only PG available, but many time slots.  No Canaletto.

I'm rambling -- probably could have stopped talking after the first line.  I'd call -- just in case there is a special dinner.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺

@rafinmdRoy,

Apologize, CC would not let me edit my previous post!!😡

Correction to anesthetic it was carbocaine given to you not lidocaine. We give that to people with high blood pressure, heart medications, surgeries in past, or sensitivity to Lidocaine with heart palpitations or if they have experienced nervousness.

Might not mean much but I wanted to correct it!

Mahalo Roy

Denise

Thanks.  It was an upper molar and I think a pretty rough afternoon for both me and the dentist.  He indicated that in the morning he had had some "interesting" teeth and he was hoping mine would be more normal.  We were in for a deep disappointment.  First, the tooth had a very old silver amalgam filling that had cracked and some bacteria along with calcium deposits had found their way into the tooth.  Along with this, the tooth had not 3 roots but 4.  It became a long, slow process. 

From the beginning I was able to very gingerly drink water from a cup.  I also had a milk carton with a built in straw and by evening I was able to eat some mashed potatoes,   applesauce, cannned fruit, and ice cream.

Feeling much better today but the drama continues.  My regular dentist retired a couple weeks ago.  At least there is someone new in the office and his wife is still managing the office.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for the kinds words for nephew, Will.  No news is good news?  The pictures on The Daily are good, thank you. So glad to hear about the possibilities for a booster vaccine happening soon.  I'll be first in line if no one else wants that position! We are packing for a trip (to Seattle and Whidbey Island) to greet our soon to be born granddaughter.  👶  

• Like 17

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  Yesterday our new freezer was delivered.  It’s smaller than the old one.  I would have preferred a larger one but they were too big for the space and would have been on back order for who knows how long.  We will adjust and it will be fine.  Today I’ve been sneaking out to the yard between meetings and trying to catch up a bit in the yard.  I hope that everyone has a nice day.

This gave me a chuckle today.

image.png.04ce7897eec024e1deda606fd256f7af.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Thanks Ann. The brace doesn’t cover the entire surface of the leg, so at least some air can get to it. But I know my leg will feel 35 ounces lighter!😉 I suspect I will need some physical therapy, though I found a great exercise routine online - if my doc doesn’t refer me. 

It gradually reintroduces a bend while building up the leg muscles.

I am sure your doctor will refer you and, if you have checked out places, tell them the one you want.  

As a person who has broken too many bones in the last decade I can’t tell you how valuable physical therapy is.  They gear the exercises to your progress.

I had a brace on my arm (like you) and it was a PITA.  2 weeks before we were supposed to cruise, on pins and needles, the surgeon told me I could take the brace off forever (it was supposed to be adjusted two more times)

I had several PT sessions and worked feverishly at my exercises.  The last two meetings were how to accelerate the exercises while I was cruising.

The first one was going over the different sets and when.  The second one was making sure I understood them all.  Money well spent.

I went on that cruise with my arm in a sling unable to do much with the broken elbow that had been operated on and 30 days later, I was pulling my own carry on off.  

Sorry for the long post, but definitely do the PT and the exercises.  It will make a huge difference, believe me.  I was supposed to have lost 15-25% mobility.  I lost around 3%.  The surgeon was astounded when I returned for the check up and then to get the wires/pins whatever out due to my skinny elbows.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Many folk just wanted to recognize the fact that it was “Pinot Noir Day”!

I still remember Ann’s DH telling us the story of his wine at a social wine tasting on board with the heavy emphasis on Pee No More.  LOL. Good memories.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thanks.  It was an upper molar and I think a pretty rough afternoon for both me and the dentist.  He indicated that in the morning he had had some "interesting" teeth and he was hoping mine would be more normal.  We were in for a deep disappointment.  First, the tooth had a very old silver amalgam filling that had cracked and some bacteria along with calcium deposits had found their way into the tooth.  Along with this, the tooth had not 3 roots but 4.  It became a long, slow process. 

From the beginning I was able to very gingerly drink water from a cup.  I also had a milk carton with a built in straw and by evening I was able to eat some mashed potatoes,   applesauce, cannned fruit, and ice cream.

Feeling much better today but the drama continues.  My regular dentist retired a couple weeks ago.  At least there is someone new in the office and his wife is still managing the office.

Roy

Roy, just got back from store! I will touch base with you in alittle bit!

Denise😊

• Like 3

I’m back to the Daily and back to my time zone.  Our Seattle visits, before and after our cruise we’re wonderful!  Our anniversary party in our son’s backyard brought 12 family members to the celebration.  
It was so great to set foot on a BHB, once again.  NA is a beautiful ship, our first time aboard her.  Weather wasn’t perfect,  internet was missing, but we loved it  all!  Alaska  scenery is outstanding!  
Our two days in Seattle, following the cruise, gave us a chance to participate in our granddaughter’s 10th birthday party.  I’m ready to book a winter cruise.

Thank you Rich & Roy for the Daily.  

• Like 22

@tjcox9 posted some nice photos from Punta del Este but I'll add a couple more.  These will be from my 2017 cruise on Crystal Serenity.  I have had most but not all the same from the Prinsendam 2 years later.  Serenity had a day and a half stay.  The first day I did a country drive and one of the highlights was this roller coaster bridge that we crossed a couple of times:

thebridge.jpg

Punta del Este is a bit of a misnomer.  It's actually the Southernmost point of Uruguay and is on a peninsula and I walked mostly around the ocean perimeter of the town.  Here's a view of the southernmost point marked by a large anchor.

southpoint2.jpg

Another landmark on my walk was a monument to the site of the first Mass in the area.held by the conquistadors February 2, 1515:

massshrine.jpg

One photo from the Prinsendam.  One of the major landmarks is El Faro, a lighthouse visible from all directions:

elfaro.jpg

@Vict0riann just missed Punta Del Este as she boarded Prinsendam in Buenos Aires less than a week after our visit.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

😊OK I am back. First possible you had your existing amalgam filling silver for a long time which possibly fractured enough where over time like you said bacteria builds up and then it breaks down waste products inside the canal which will start to calcify and the bacteria is trapped in a canal chamber and as you expect discomfort will start with hot or cold which will linger and sporadic throbbing. Or it will actually with abscesses find a way to leak out from your gum tissue. Having four canal chambers is like having an extra 3rd molar when doing a extraction!! SURPRISE! 
It is pain stacking slow process when canal is found to be careful with rotary files and I sure can understand the time, patience, especially for you Roy and I am glad he was able to save the tooth and he successfully completed your tooth! 
Now when you go back to your new DDS a crown will need to be done since the existing filling fractured and it will need possibly a post buildup inside for added protection. Sometimes just a new crown can be done. I had what was called a Cerac Machine which with a computer could design a new crown from a solid block of porcelain in my lab and it would make the crown and I could cement it same day. Anyway!

Congratulations on finishing the Root Canal! I have had my share also and implants!

🌺Have a great day

Denise😊

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

A bittersweet day here, we lost our dear SIL Marcie yesterday afternoon to her battle with cancer and will be attending shiva this evening and today is my 60th birthday.  Life is funny sometimes.  

So sorry to hear this.  A birthday should not be the day to remember loss of a loved one.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

O👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.

😎We've been to Uruguay 3 times and today's port of call once and remember seeing so many on the beach....walked around mostly. 🙃A really warm day!

😉Will get back later...need to see our granddaughter off this morning for her first day of school.🚸🏫👩‍🏫🎒

🙏Prayers for all in need.🙏

Katie

CRAZY.. this didn't post 8 hrs ago!

20210818_062935.jpg

• Like 16

😉We have our annual "Back to School NOT Breakfast" for retired teachers the same day children return to school. This morning our granddaughter started First Grade~~  I rushed over before meeting my tribe, lol! 😁

Katie

😯Will have to catch up reading later....

20210818_151011.jpg

20210818_133502.jpg

• Like 17