How Late Can You Book A Cruise

Tedferg

Ask Princess, in the before tomes we booked a med cruise less than 1 week before departure,.   We hope to jump on a TA this November instead of flying home from Greece,  obviously EU and UK covid situation will prevail.  Probably won’t decide until a week or so out.  If there are empty staterooms, am not sure why they would decline your $$$.    I do  recommend booking your pre travel covid test  early tho, even if undecided about the cruise.  Good luck with the surgery and I hope you make the cruise! 

43 minutes ago, MMsteffey said:

Ask Princess, in the before tomes we booked a med cruise less than 1 week before departure,.   We hope to jump on a TA this November instead of flying home from Greece,  obviously EU and UK covid situation will prevail.  Probably won’t decide until a week or so out.  If there are empty staterooms, am not sure why they would decline your $$$.    I do  recommend booking your pre travel covid test  early tho, even if undecided about the cruise.  Good luck with the surgery and I hope you make the cruise! 

Thank you for good information and sentiments - I think we will have a good idea 4 weeks after surgery so that would give us time to decide.

16 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

You might also get a great deal.  We booked a Vancouver to San Pedro cruise in 2019 17 days before sailing and had a better mini-suite for less money than friends who were on a package tour

Well that did cross my mind - we were so looking forward to a cruise but decided to cancel and get the surgery done soonest. Fingers crossed DW will recover in time.

17 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

You might also get a great deal.  We booked a Vancouver to San Pedro cruise in 2019 17 days before sailing and had a better mini-suite for less money than friends who were on a package tour

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Well that did cross my mind - we were so looking forward to a cruise but decided to cancel and get the surgery done soonest. Fingers crossed DW will recover in time.

Thing is, once cruising gets ramped up normal again (whenever that is), we could see the return of sold out cruises and waiting until last few days before sail date might be a failing strategy.  OTOH, if bags are packed and live near port and happy to go anytime something opens up, then it might work. 

These days, one is likely to find available cabins.

The cruise line is required to submit a list of the passengers to Homeland Security (or other guvmint agency) a certain time before the cruise.  I do NOT know what the deadline is in this day of Covid and terrorist concerns.  But that is the controlling deadline.

I have booked a cruise one week in advance.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ombud said:

You can still book next Sunday's Alaska cruise so is the answer a week? 

Good, a week would do it for us. It is a slim chance for us Oct 31 Coastal out of SFO. A plus if it works but not a problem if it doesn’t. 

• Like 2

Be aware that hip surgery is not easy to recover from. It depends on your age/overall health but if you just want to sit on the balcony and relax it might be okay.  Hubby had both hips replaced 2 years apart and both times it was about 3 months before he felt ready for a trip.  Good Luck!

Pre covid the closest we have booked is three days.

Now retired, most of our cruises are booked inside the final payment window.  Anywhere from 2 days to six weeks out.  Usually while we are on an independent land tour.  If we see a good offer on an itinerary that we like we change our land plans and book it.

Edited by iancal

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

How late can you book a cruise is a question that can probably be answered more accurately by calling the cruise line one is looking to book or a travel agent than in an internet forum.

True, but CC can give a quick response to a casual question whereas calling Princess involves a long wait on hold. I thought there might be a fixed time before sailing.

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Be aware that hip surgery is not easy to recover from. It depends on your age/overall health but if you just want to sit on the balcony and relax it might be okay.  Hubby had both hips replaced 2 years apart and both times it was about 3 months before he felt ready for a trip.  Good Luck!

We have a friend who had his second replacement and was able to attend wine group / book group etc. after two weeks, and seemed pretty mobile. My thought is that even just sitting on balcony would be a nice change.  

Just now, Tedferg said:

We have a friend who had his second replacement and was able to attend wine group / book group etc. after two weeks, and seemed pretty mobile. My thought is that even just sitting on balcony would be a nice change.  

I guess each will recover in their own way. My husband was using a walker for 2 months     Waiting till the last minute to book is a good idea.

My husband had both hips done 8 weeks apart…with the anterior approach.  If the anterior approach is used PT has you doing stairs the evening of surgery and you can be discharged same day.  My husband stayed overnight because of an over abundance of caution related to a different health issue.  Our house is a 5 level split and he maneuvered the home stairs the second day post-op.  It’s a different ball game with the anterior approach.  I would not have the surgery any other way. 

To the OP my husband definitely would have been able to do a cruise at 4 weeks post-op.  I wish your wife the best.

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

True, but CC can give a quick response to a casual question whereas calling Princess involves a long wait on hold. I thought there might be a fixed time before sailing.

Not to mention the fact that we all know that depending on who you talk to at Princess, the answer might vary... 🙄

Getting some 1st hand answers from others can be helpful, even if that is also not a guarantee.

🙃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Call a TA instead.

As far as a last minute booking goes a  PVP would have information that is not available to a TA.

I have been on a cruise where during disembarkation they were attempting to sell an unbooked suite for the next cruise departing later that day.

• Like 1