Oceania v Celebrity Thoughts

LGW59

Yikes!  I’d take O in a minute, but I’ve never been on celebrity. I’ve been on the riviera a number of times and would jump back on!  Of course, knowing it was such a savings really makes the deal sweeter. Enjoy whatever you do!

k

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

$$ Is what made me start to look into Oceania.  Hard to find an exact apples to apples but below is close as I was able to find.  I did these comparison within the last hour and both priced w/o air included.  WTH am I missing the price diff is huge!

Celebrity Beyond

Royal Suite (comparing this because that is where specialty dining becomes available)

9 nights - Oct 2022

$28,037 (always included package)

$800 OBC

Rome

Corsica

Portofino

Nice

Marseille

at sea

Palma De Mallorca

Valencia

Barcelona

Oceania Riviera

Vista Suite

10 nights - Oct 2022

$19,892

$600 OBC

Monte Carlo

Livorno

Rome

Salerno

Valletta

Crotone

Kotor

Split

Koper

Venice

Venice

Thank you for this analysis. My only thought is that it might be more representative if you could pls do an analysis of two veranda staterooms, including the cost of specialty dining on celebrity (and AI), as well as a premium beverage package on Oceania to match the AI on celebrity. (Did I forget anything?)

If it’s not worth your time, I understand.

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

$$ Is what made me start to look into Oceania.  Hard to find an exact apples to apples but below is close as I was able to find.  I did these comparison within the last hour and both priced w/o air included.  WTH am I missing the price diff is huge!

Celebrity Beyond

Royal Suite (comparing this because that is where specialty dining becomes available)

9 nights - Oct 2022

$28,037 (always included package)

$800 OBC

Rome

Corsica

Portofino

Nice

Marseille

at sea

Palma De Mallorca

Valencia

Barcelona

Oceania Riviera

Vista Suite

10 nights - Oct 2022

$19,892

$600 OBC

Monte Carlo

Livorno

Rome

Salerno

Valletta

Crotone

Kotor

Split

Koper

Venice

Venice

Plus, from what I read...the Vista suites are about 40% larger (1200 vs 687).  

The last post is one reason why we stopped cruising on Celebrity about 5 years ago.  Once LLP took over the line she quickly reduced quality (death by a thousand cut-backs) and raised prices.  There is no way we can justify over $1000 per passenger/day (total cost) just to be on a mass market line when we can cruise on just about any luxury line (Silverseas, Seabourn, Regent, etc) for the same or less.  In fact we have taken several cruises on Seabourn (all suites and all inclusive) for less than $500 per passenger day (normal prices can often be in the $700 per person day range).  On the other hand, we have never considered booking the Royal Suite on Celebrity (or any other line) as we do not spend a lot of waking time in our cabin on any cruise.

I think booking an expensive suite on X is akin to having a $2 million dollar home in a neighborhood where all the other homes cost less than $200,000.   While you would certainly have the nicest home in the neighborhood, once you go out you are getting the same entertainment, socialization, cuisine, etc. as folks paying a lot less money.  Granted that being in a high end suite will save you some alternative restaurant fees, but in a lower cost cabin we have paid less than $30 per person day (with a dining package) for alternative restaurants.  Even if one were to dine in the most expensive alternative restaurants (and pay full price) everyday it would not justify paying over $1000 per person/day to be on X.

Hank

• Like 1

Wow.  I had no idea a cost comparison would turn out this way. But maybe an 8 day Caribbean cruise in a lower-priced stateroom might be different; who knows?  But I have no desire to cruise on Celebrity again.  Now we stick to Oceania and Viking Ocean.  Crystal looks beautiful, and sent us a tempting offer for this fall, but it was for Bermuda and Bahamas, and we'd prefer to go somewhere else.  Azamara looks interesting, but I'm afraid it would be disappointing like Celebrity was, so we haven't tried it.  

(avalong - Viking's our other favorite)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Azamara looks interesting, but I'm afraid it would be disappointing like Celebrity was, so we haven't tried it.

Azamara has never been anything like Celebrity – LLP's fingerprints nowhere near it – and now it isn't even owned by Royal.  It is more like Oceania that any other cruise line but has even better itineraries.

Well ... I have visited this message board years before, and just now pulled the trigger on the Labor Day Sale. Plenty of experience with Celebrity - my first cruise was on the Zenith in 1995, but I've never ventured into this nice a cruise, in this nice a cabin, for as long. 

While we've never booked anything like a Vista Class room here is an example of what we got versus Celebrity would have offered:

21 days in early April nearly to the end of the month, on the Riviera. Including airfare from NYC and the O-life, the legs were $4149 and $4349 per person. This is a heavily port-intensive cruise in the Western Med. We booked a B2 class and will be getting an A2 Concierge class room. This is 282 square feet, obviously. Over the entire trip just a touch over $400 a night (not including the O discount).

The only equivilant cruise would be on the Celebrity Infinity, using the Aqua Class, sailing for 11 days at roughly the same time period. This puts you into the Blu Restaurant, access to their Aqua Spa and 242 square feet of room. You need to bump up to get $400 of tours (which also gets you premium drinks). You are at $9500 per couple, not including airfare.

Toss in the airfare, at $880 economy class as quoted on their site, and you are at over $11,200 for an 11 night cruise - $500 per person, per night.

Oceania is more port intensive (one fewer sea day), less expensive (by about 25%), has a larger room (by about 15%). And I'm not sure how to value leaving your suit and ties behind might be, but it's pretty important to me. 

I'm looking forward to our first Oceania cruise. We came close years ago, so this should be interesting. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Azamara has never been anything like Celebrity – LLP's fingerprints nowhere near it – and now it isn't even owned by Royal.  It is more like Oceania that any other cruise line but has even better itineraries.

I did notice that Azamara had my kind of itineraries - lesser-known, smaller, more unusual stops!

We are also frequent Celebrity cruisers but their lack of Mediterranean itineraries this year have us considering an O cruise this fall.  We are itinerary focused, non smokers, non drinkers, non gamblers that really like Celebrity’s modern aesthetic, interesting itineraries, excellent service and wide variety of quality food.  I understand the food on O is excellent; however, my wife must be gluten free so we are a little concerned that the variety of food on O may be limited.  I also read something very strange on the Cruise Critic review of the Marina…. The review lead me to believe that only cold breakfast items are available via room service.  Is that correct?

1 minute ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

We are also frequent Celebrity cruisers but their lack of Mediterranean itineraries this year have us considering an O cruise this fall.  We are itinerary focused, non smokers, non drinkers, non gamblers that really like Celebrity’s modern aesthetic, interesting itineraries, excellent service and wide variety of quality food.  I understand the food on O is excellent; however, my wife must be gluten free so we are a little concerned that the variety of food on O may be limited.  I also read something very strange on the Cruise Critic review of the Marina…. The review lead me to believe that only cold breakfast items are available via room service.  Is that correct?

Gluten free? Not a problem. Contact “special services” at least a month prior to embarkation. Once onboard you can work on menu choices (plentiful) with the Food & Beverage folks.

As for hot breakfast in cabin, it is available for certain upper cabin levels.

If you think Celebrity has “quality” food, you’re in for a pleasant/amazing surprise on O.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

...however, my wife must be gluten free so we are a little concerned that the variety of food on O may be limited. ..

O is great for GF diners ! I am gluten free and have pretty clear symptoms if I get glutened - so far I haven't been glutened once on O. Do let them know ahead of time (as FlatbushFlyer suggests), check in with dining reservations on day 1 to make sure they got the word, from then on in restricted diners get the dinner menu ahead of time and circle what they think they'll like. In Terrace the manager or chef can give you a quick tour of what's GF each meal (or just ask a specific station if you know what you want - they'll usually go and ask to check). In the past there has *not* been GF soy sauce available at the Terrace sushi station, plan accordingly if that's important (Red Ginger has a few more items than average that don't work GF but there are plenty that *do*). The GDR offers GF pancakes at breakfast, but not all servers know this. Caveat: all info is before COVID, some menu specifics may have changed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

The review lead me to believe that only cold breakfast items are available via room service.  Is that correct?

Yes this is correct for B-1 category and lower staterooms.  Only cold continental breakfast is offered.. However, this is one work around.  On the room service menu available 24 hours, there is a Mediterranean Frittata available on the lunch menu.  Works for us!  There is also a smoked salmon plate that is great for breakfast or HH.

And to AlexCherie:  Welcome Aboard!

Katie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elite plus on Celebrity.  We enjoyed many Celebrity cruises.  We have seen too many cutbacks and increased fares.  We looked for a better experience.  We may book Celebrity with family or friends. We will not book as a couple. We prefer Oceania….better food, fewer kids, smaller ships, and good itineraries.  Also, Oceania service is outstanding.  Never crowded.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Elite plus on Celebrity.  We enjoyed many Celebrity cruises.  We have seen too many cutbacks and increased fares.  We looked for a better experience.  We may book Celebrity with family or friends. We will not book as a couple. We prefer Oceania….better food, fewer kids, smaller ships, and good itineraries.  Also, Oceania service is outstanding.  Never crowded.  

Curious to know, if you care to share, celebrity prices have skyrocketed I mean through the roof.  I did a comparison of a celebrity suite v vista suite, posted it earlier here, difference was was ridiculous.  Do you find the same ?  Always Included I was thinking yea good deal, the more I delve into it, compare to O for similar suites, not so much at all.  

On 9/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, PhD-iva said:

Thank you for this analysis. My only thought is that it might be more representative if you could pls do an analysis of two veranda staterooms, including the cost of specialty dining on celebrity (and AI), as well as a premium beverage package on Oceania to match the AI on celebrity. (Did I forget anything?)

If it’s not worth your time, I understand.

Was worth my time and thanks for suggesting.  Here is what I have come up with, perusing both O and C websites just now.  Tried to get as similar itineraries and dates as possible.  I still don't get it, EVERYTHING I read on CC or on professional travel sites RAVE re O, they don't slam Celebrity, I am not either, but there just seems to be some reason Celebrity feels they can charge these costs.  Fully admit I was one, I have cancelled my May 2022 with the Scandinavia and Russia, I'm good with that.  Still have my Oct 202 TA but will cancel that as well.  I just feel like the deal I got for Vista suite on a great Med cruise, with awesome ports is totally worth the ridiculous savins.

Celebrity - Beyond

Oct 2022

9 nights - Italy, France, Spain

Sky Suite 1

$12,837 (2 passengers)

$600BC

Always Included (wifi, tips, premium beverage package)

No specialty dining (averages $50/pp per dinner)

Oceania - Rivera

Nov 2022

10 nights - Med

PH1

$9,098 (2 passengers)

$600 OBC

Specialty dining included

wifi, sparkling and still waters (there is a war raging right now on CC Celebrity re water, LOL)

So with O we get 1 additional night, wifi, no tips, no bev package until we select it and we will, but $ diff is $3,800, ah let me think NO brainer!

Again, am I missing something?  C is supposed to be a mid-level premium brand, O is a higher end, again WTH is with the costs on C??  O here I come.....

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Was worth my time and thanks for suggesting.  Here is what I have come up with, perusing both O and C websites just now.  Tried to get as similar itineraries and dates as possible.  I still don't get it, EVERYTHING I read on CC or on professional travel sites RAVE re O, they don't slam Celebrity, I am not either, but there just seems to be some reason Celebrity feels they can charge these costs.  Fully admit I was one, I have cancelled my May 2022 with the Scandinavia and Russia, I'm good with that.  Still have my Oct 202 TA but will cancel that as well.  I just feel like the deal I got for Vista suite on a great Med cruise, with awesome ports is totally worth the ridiculous savins.

Celebrity - Beyond

Oct 2022

Sky Suite 1

$12,837 (2 passengers)

$600BC

Oceania - Rivera

Nov 2022

10 nights - Med

PH1

$9,098 (2 passengers)

$600 OBC

wifi, sparkling and still waters (there is a war raging right now on CC Celebrity re water, LOL)

So with O we get 1 additional night, wifi, no tips, no bev package until we select it and we will, but $ diff is $3,800, ah let me think NO brainer!

Again, am I missing something?  C is supposed to be a mid-level premium brand, O is a higher end, again WTH is with the costs on C??  O here I come.....

Why do I guess that C has one more sea day in there than O? 

32 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Maybe  a good TA that includes gratuities  for O 

🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Celebrity - Beyond

Oct 2022

Sky Suite 1

$12,837 (2 passengers)

$600BC

Oceania - Rivera

Nov 2022

10 nights - Med

PH1

$9,098 (2 passengers)

$600 OBC

Actually, if the OBC is the OLife one and not a TA perk, that's a wash.  You pay $300 pp for that OLife benefit ($600 per stateroom) which is non refundable.  It's better to use the OLife perk toward excursions which can almost double the benefit or go with a cruise only fare and not prepay the non-refundable $600.

I assume you know that air in not really part of OLife, but is an option that can be declined for an air credit should you want to arrange your own flights.

WiFi, along with all non-alcoholic drinks (not just waters), is included in all fares, including cruise only.  They are not part of the OLife package.

• Like 2

I stopped checking Celebrity prices after our disappointing Edge cruise [don't like the design of the ship, the furnishings, the entertainment – or the 'promise' to redo all the other X ships to match...]  But I wonder if the same price differences would be seen if you compared ships of the same age?  I suspect that X is jacking up the prices on Edge and beyond [😀] just as O is probably doing on Vista.  Celebrity Silhouette and Reflection are the same age as Oceania Riviera and Marina.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Celebrity - Beyond

Oct 2022

Sky Suite 1

$12,837 (2 passengers)

$600BC

Oceania - Rivera

Nov 2022

10 nights - Med

PH1

$9,098 (2 passengers)

$600 OBC

One perk  in Oceania Owner's and Vista suites that can be quite advantageous - 6 bottles of premium spirts and wines are included.  Although the spirits are for in-suite consumption, the wines may be taken to any dining venue.  Since the wines are from Oceania stock, they do not incur a corkage fee.  Salute!

-Katie

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Again, am I missing something

As Lyn mentioned above, the value of using a good Travel Agent. Tips, obc, consortium benefits, room upgrades etc. Especially since you like to book expensive suites I think most TAs would be very appreciative of your business. 

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

That is, of course, not a small thing. You have no doubt done the math on that part as well, so I won't replicate it. I'm guessing ... $200 per day per cabin? Premium drink packages vary and we aren't drinkers, so I am unfamiliar.

But if I'm right, it does level the playing field quite a bit. Still, as an Elite CCer, it pains me to think of Oceania as a value cruise.

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I stopped checking Celebrity prices after our disappointing Edge cruise [don't like the design of the ship, the furnishings, the entertainment – or the 'promise' to redo all the other X ships to match...]  But I wonder if the same price differences would be seen if you compared ships of the same age?  I suspect that X is jacking up the prices on Edge and beyond [😀] just as O is probably doing on Vista.  Celebrity Silhouette and Reflection are the same age as Oceania Riviera and Marina.  

I believe you are correct.  The price comparisons above  were for cruises on the Celebrity Beyond, which is brand new. (It has never sailed). A better comparison would be to use the new Oceania ship when it is released.  Or as you say, a Solstice Class ship. Celebrity  always charges a significant premium for their new releases.  

I have yet to try the Celebrity Edge Class ship.  I have my first Edge class cruise on the Apex scheduled for next month.  I will be able to compare the experience to my Riviera cruise scheduled for January and my numerous Solstice Class ship experiences. The Celebrity Silhouette is my favorite Solstice Class ship.

As I understand the situation Celebrity and Oceania handled the shut down cancellations very differently.  Celebrity allowed customers to Lift and Shift their cruises to a future cruise (whether cancelled or not) at the same price with the same perks.  They also offered bonus FCC’s if a cash refund was not chosen.  Personally I believe this is a major factor in the Celebrity cost increases for new bookings. (Supply and demand).  The example above shows a SS1 for $1426 a day for two people, I have never paid more than $800 a day.  Hard to believe anyone would ever pay that much.

Once the pent up demand stabilizes, I suspect the cost comparisons will return to the historical differences.  I have never viewed Oceania as a less costly alternative.  In fact, I paid more for my upcoming 14 day upcoming Riviera cruise because it was a 14 day Caribbean cruise that Celebrity has abandoned.  (The same reason that I spent more more for a 14 day cruise on the Regent’s Explorer in January 2020.)   It was actually more expensive on a per day basis.  
If Oceania continues to be less expensive when compared with equal inclusions, the Oceania demand will increase taking business from Celebrity.  

I am not “defending” Celebrity or attempting to contradict that Oceania is currently less expensive.  I am just pointing out that the cost comparisons listed above may not be typically nor are they necessarily comparing “Apples to Apples”.

• Like 1