New Princess Sphere class ships?

big al

Does anybody know anything more about the new 175,000 ton new Sphere class ships coming in late 2023? Besides they are LNG powered? Length, width, etc.? Anybody know when they might start giving us some more info- maybe early 2022? Thanks..

Big Al

• Like 2

An officer at our recent  meet and greet on the Majestic suggested they would be set up a bit differently. A more "integrated" approach. Not sure what that means. Inside facing balcony rooms like other lines have done? Pools on lower decks? I specifically asked if the central piazza concept would remain, and that was affirmed.  Personally I would love to see a full promenade return, but I doubt it. Unless it is lined with shops and bars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Not sure what that means. Inside facing balcony rooms like other lines have done? 

I hope not but if there is an increased passenger capacity they have to put the extra rooms some place. Some of these ships already look top heavy.

I'll be curious to see what the ship looks like but I can wait, too early to get many details.  Took me awhile to try Royal class, I don't mind it because I can get a better cabin for a decent price.  Sailing inside cabins forever, Royal class is nice in that respect.  I still miss the wrap around promenade.  Traveling alone, going on an even bigger class ship doesn't appeal to me, but never say never.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Can these new ships just "fill up or top off" at most ports, or will the ports have to construct new fueling facilities ?

Good question. I presume initial sailings would be scheduled where LNG is available, but I would think it could be trucked into ports in most developed countries. If they can refuel dockside or need a separate fuel barge is a question. It also appears they will be dual fueled so if LNG not available no problem.

Edited by Musky Ike

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

I would not want an inside facing balcony. I go to my balcony to visually / mentally escape the ship

Agree, but I can see that for some sitting with a drink on your porch listening to music from the piazza might be a draw. Just remember to get dressed first 😉.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Can these new ships just "fill up or top off" at most ports, or will the ports have to construct new fueling facilities ?

They will be dual-fuel powered, LNG and the cleanest fossil fuel available ... or so they say.

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Carnival Corporation has built a new terminal in Barcelona (opened in 2018) which they’ll operate including for their cruise lines LNG ships and MSC is doing the same thing.

Edited by Astro Flyer

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Maybe Princess will locate the lng ship from Port Canaveral instead of Port Everglades ?

😄. you  gotta a line on how this is gonna work.   I'm confused, are the ships gonna refuel at a another port ? are lng barges gonna be at the passengers ports refueling ?  Your a Florida guy, do they have lng bunkering at FLL or port of Miami  ?

4 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I'll be curious to see what the ship looks like but I can wait, too early to get many details.  Took me awhile to try Royal class, I don't mind it because I can get a better cabin for a decent price.  Sailing inside cabins forever, Royal class is nice in that respect.  I still miss the wrap around promenade.  Traveling alone, going on an even bigger class ship doesn't appeal to me, but never say never.

I miss the full wrap around promenade deck too, but not as much as I thought I would. The walking/running track on the Sports Deck works fairly well for us.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I miss the full wrap around promenade deck too, but not as much as I thought I would. The walking/running track on the Sports Deck works fairly well for us.

We totally agree with you!  The wrap-around Promenade deck not a big deal for us and we LOVE the walking/running track!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, c-boy said:

😄. you  gotta a line on how this is gonna work.   I'm confused, are the ships gonna refuel at a another port ? are lng barges gonna be at the passengers ports refueling ?  Your a Florida guy, do they have lng bunkering at FLL or port of Miami  ?

Not a clue ... or what it involves either ... but also wouldn't mind a Princess ship sailing out of Port Canaveral 

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

Port Canaveral is due to service lng ships on the South East coast

It has been providing LNG to the Mardi Gras since her inaugural voyage at the end of July.  Would love to have a Princess ship in Port Canaveral.  The LNG terminal is within walking distance of our friend's condo.  Would be awesome to walk to a cruise!

• Like 1