Cruise passenger capacity in Dec 2021

jkx

Does anyone know what the cruise capacity will be in December roughly? Going Harmony in December 12 and was told a month ago when I booked its around 50% but I don't know if that's changed.

I’m booked on Allure over New Years Eve and very few cabins are available; no balconies at all.  I wonder if they hold back 50% or if this is such a popular time to cruise that they we will sail close to capacity?  I’ve been on 3 cruises so far since sailing started again with about 20% capacity on all and loved it!

Posting from Freedom.  The Oct. 8, 2021 sailing has 3,300 on board.  Feels like a normal cruise.  From the top tier event numbers there are 2,168 new to Royal on board and 1,132 C&A members (Gold to Pinnacle).  Captain stated it's the largest guest population to date.

I think we will soon reach the point they are selling what they can minus whatever they need to block off for isolation requirements defined by the CDC and new crew quarantine as they rotate on.

I've actually enjoyed this cruise and the numbers on board. It's nice not being alone in the pub listening to the live music.  

• Like 5

I feel that until restrictions lifted they will have trouble selling. We are hardcore cruisers and will have 5 by the end of this year, but I cannot understand why masks are required on RCI ships while not required on Celebrity and NCL… Tests create some anxiety, but they are more relevant 

• Like 2

Maybe now that children 5-12 will be getting the vaccination, RCI and NCL might be able to go maskless on cruises in 2022.Just got off Celebrity and enjoyed to no mask policy. and  no cases while on board. 

NCL is maskless.
On Celebrity kids also sail. 
We sailed on Edge and recently on Oasis. Both had about the same percentage of kids. I think venues for vaccinated isn’t a problem, but masks could be. 

Again, for us it’s inconvenience, but we will sail, but many people won’t 

3 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

The Diamond crown and anchor desk said it would be 50% for the rest of the year.

They are incorrect if speaking in general, however that may be accurate for Harmony.  Some ships are already sailing over that number.  Freedom for example on 10/1 (2900ppl) and 10/8 (3300ppl) are already over that amount.

Edited by TheBucketLister

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m booked on Allure over New Years Eve and very few cabins are available; no balconies at all.  I wonder if they hold back 50% or if this is such a popular time to cruise that they we will sail close to capacity?  I’ve been on 3 cruises so far since sailing started again with about 20% capacity on all and loved it!

Did you sail the Anthem in Sep?

I sailed Freedom 2 weeks ago and it was at 1/4 (1100 ppl) capacity.

I also have Anthem Dec 31 NYE trip booked, I check almost daily for price drops (have gotten 2 so far) and have now noticed that ALL balcony and Oceanview are all SOLD OUT.

So either they are limiting the amount of rooms available for purchase or we will be sailing closer to over 60% capacity.

Hoping for 1st option.

Edited by alexgtp

17 minutes ago, Tatka said:

NCL is maskless.
We sailed on Edge and recently on Oasis. Both had about the same percentage of kids. I think venues for vaccinated isn’t a problem, but masks could be. 

The children (there were 7) wore masks the whole trip.  I actually did not see any, but was told by the staff. 

14 minutes ago, Missymo said:

The children (there were 7) wore masks the whole trip.  I actually did not see any, but was told by the staff. 

They are unvaccinated. On RCI you wear mask regardless 

20 hours ago, alexgtp said:

I sailed Freedom 2 weeks ago and it was at 1/4 (1100 ppl) capacity.

I also have Anthem Dec 31 NYE trip booked, I check almost daily for price drops (have gotten 2 so far) and have now noticed that ALL balcony and Oceanview are all SOLD OUT.

So either they are limiting the amount of rooms available for purchase or we will be sailing closer to over 60% capacity.

Hoping for 1st option.

Most likely it is the 1st option,. Inside staterooms were 'sold out' at one point on my cruise for 15/10 but are now back on sale at a very good price. 

21 hours ago, Tatka said:

I feel that until restrictions lifted they will have trouble selling. We are hardcore cruisers and will have 5 by the end of this year, but I cannot understand why masks are required on RCI ships while not required on Celebrity and NCL… Tests create some anxiety, but they are more relevant 

Won't cruise on Royal until they drop the masks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:37 PM, jkx said:

Does anyone know what the cruise capacity will be in December roughly? Going Harmony in December 12 and was told a month ago when I booked its around 50% but I don't know if that's changed.

There is no magical number for capacity.  Some people are getting on the ships, without caring about anything as normal.  Some are waiting for some magic item, such as covid going away (maybe in 5 years), masking going away (Elections in 2024), or a number of other reasons.  Capacity is also driven by international guests that have pretty much dropped to none for many of the same reasons.  I'm pretty sure, if they sell the ship at 90% that will be your number for that week.  I think too many people are speculating at numbers and I don't think a number exists.

21 hours ago, Tatka said:

NCL is maskless.

Isn't NCL 100% vaccinated only, no children?

During the summer months it was mostly families with unvaxxed children sailing on Royal ships, a lot less than Celebrity had during the summer.    Now that children 5 and up are back in school the % is going to be low until the holiday season is upon us and families cruise again with kids off from school. 

Hopefully we will have a good winter/holiday season with no covid spikes and we can start to go maskless on Royal cruises after they start increasing capacity and see favorable results.    I think once this happens and children 5 thru 11 can be vaccinated Royal will change their mask requirements in 2022.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

There is no magical number for capacity.  Some people are getting on the ships, without caring about anything as normal.  Some are waiting for some magic item, such as covid going away (maybe in 5 years), masking going away (Elections in 2024), or a number of other reasons.  Capacity is also driven by international guests that have pretty much dropped to none for many of the same reasons.  I'm pretty sure, if they sell the ship at 90% that will be your number for that week.  I think too many people are speculating at numbers and I don't think a number exists.

The magical number for capacity is: however many cabins they can sell.

Cruises are cheaper now than they’ve been in quite some time. As we all know, the pricing model is based on supply and demand. When 3-night weekend cruise interior cabins on an amped ship are going for less than $400, 7-night interior on an Oasis class for less than $1,000 and the beverage package for 2 costs more than the cabin itself, it’s safe to say the demand simply isn’t there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Won't cruise on Royal until they drop the masks.  

And there are those of us who won't cruise if they don't require masks inside. I support dropping the mask requirement once those 5 and over need to be vaccinated, which will be sometime in 2022.