If you are booking a cruise now, some things to keep in mind...

Recently, folks have popped on to share their disappointment with their cruise changes. For anyone who hasn't already booked, please keep the following in mind:

1) Ports are likely to change.

2) Excursion rules are likely to change.

3) Covid vaccination and testing requirements are likely to change.

4) Covid protocols on the ship are likely to change.

5) Something else is likely to change.

Given all of the above, please make note of the rules as they exist regarding cancellations, refunds, etc., when you book. Because those are going to change too, but if you know what they were when you booked you should be able to follow those rules when something changes.

If you are happy to just get on a ship and go with the flow, there are deals to be had and fun times ahead. If you like to plan on going to specific ports, and not having things change between booking time and cruise time, this may not be the time for you to book. This isn't a criticism. Some people really like to have fixed plans and are not comfortable with unexpected changes. And that's fine. Stick around here and read the boards so you can tell when things start to settle down.

😁

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

Recently, folks have popped on to share their disappointment with their cruise changes. For anyone who hasn't already booked, please keep the following in mind:

Given all of the above, please make note of the rules as they exist regarding cancellations, refunds, etc., when you book. Because those are going to change too, but if you know what they were when you booked you should be able to follow those rules when something changes.

If you are happy to just get on a ship and go with the flow, there are deals to be had and fun times ahead. If you like to plan on going to specific ports, and not having things change between booking time and cruise time, this may not be the time for you to book. This isn't a criticism. Some people really like to have fixed plans and are not comfortable with unexpected changes. And that's fine. Stick around here and read the boards so you can tell when things start to settle down.

😁

Excellent post! DH and I do not care about the ports on our 11/19 Mexican cruise. Just want to be on the ocean and pampered!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

Excellent post! DH and I do not care about the ports on our 11/19 Mexican cruise. Just want to be on the ocean and pampered!

We'll be on that same cruise and I pretty much feel the same way. 

54 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

We're the same.  On our Mexico cruise in March things may have changed, but if they haven't, we're okay with just staying on the ship.  We've been to the ports many times in the past.  Just looking forward to driving to the cruise port and being on a ship again.

NOT looking forward to driving to/from Los Angeles on a Friday!

Pat

Edited by vistapat
  • Like 2

Three post-startup cruises so far and the only time we have stepped off of the ship is when the cruises ended. FWIW, the policies on board are substantially less restrictive than any of the ports the ship visited, and if you like being outside on deck and enjoying the sea, the experience is fairly close to normal times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Your cabin is likely to change. 

That would be one thing that would upset me.  We have a deck 9 JS on the hump, and would not be happy to lose it.  However, I suspect we would adjust.

Pat

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vistapat said:

That would be one thing that would upset me.  We have a deck 9 JS on the hump, and would not be happy to lose it.  However, I suspect we would adjust.

Pat

Us, too. We have a cruise booked for May with our best cruise buddies. Adjacent hump balconies. I won't be thrilled if they change those cabins. We can roll with it, but it would definitely impact our fun. 

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

😁

Great post! We just returned from a cruise last week on MSC Meraviglia. Our itinerary had changed a number of times before our sail date, and then we were notified when we boarded about another change. We were actually fine with it. We got to overnight at Ocean Cay, their new private island, which we hadn't been to yet.

Our ship was sailing at about 20% capacity (it was great), and I'd say almost all of us were die hard cruisers who didn't care where the ship went.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wink87 said:

We're happy with our Mexican cruise Jan 17th...Booked a GS and if the location changes no big deal but I think that's very unlikely.

• Like 1

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. 

We have six cruises scheduled over the next twelve months. Honestly, I'll be a little upset if the Bordeaux-to-Reykjavik one gets big changes to it, but we certainly know it can happen. For the rest, we'll take what comes! 

• Like 1

Agreed and they're having issues with their shore excursions.  I've had several shore excursions canceled due to "operational issues" even in ports that aren't cancelled.  I had a tour canceled in Roatan and called to book a replacement tour.  The shore excursions department assured me my second pick was good and that I should book that day to ensure two of the last six spots.  The very next day my rescheduled tour was canceled too!

All this!  Yes!  Stop asking, why did my port change?  Why did embarkation time change?  Why was excursion cancelled?  As much as we see here, imagine the poor people who answer the phones, answering these same questions multiple times every day.  Ugh, it's a worldwide pandemic, be thankful we can cruise at all. 

• Like 3

The sea is calling and I must go.  I'm headed for a cruise now and will go with the flow to watch how crew and staff deal with restrictions.  As long as I can find a shady spot on the promenade to read and a wee dram or three in the evening, it will be all good.

I don't cruise to bake on the Melanoma Deck or to see how much food I can consume.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Excellent post! It’s understandable that many would not be OK sailing under these circumstances, but there are many of us who will because we do just miss cruising in general so much! If everyone could read this post prior to booking a cruise, I think it would cut down on a lot of disappointment for people. 

• Like 1

Another big one that people need to consider if you are travelling to a foreign country. If you test positive while you are away you will need to quarantine following the rules of that country. 

On 10/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, zekekelso said:

Your cabin is likely to change. 

Your ship may change as well.

I 'm not one of these people who can book B2B2B2B 6 times a year. With limited vacation time and a vacation budget cruising doesn't fit into my plans. Given all of the above that the OP posted plus face masks on and off all day, social distancing and waiting for elevators, a cruise isn't where I want to sink my money right now. Land trips have been working out as a better vacation for us. There are great deals out there but it's still a crap shoot. When I get the itch to book a great deal I come back to cruise critic to slap myself back into reality.  Every time I come back there is a new change and not for the better.

Edited by Iamcruzin