Has anyone requested an exception to the RCCL masking protocol?

Ken

Perhaps your comment should be directed to those passengers who are not vaccinated. After all, their presence is the reason you are being asked to wear a mask in the first place. In areas of the ship where all are vaccinated, I believe that no masks are required. No more comments from me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Perhaps your comment should be directed to those passengers who are not vaccinated. After all, their presence is the reason you are being asked to wear a mask in the first place. In areas of the ship where all are vaccinated, I believe that no masks are required. No more comments from me.

Being vaccinated does not mean you cannot get and spread the virus.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ken said:

If so, were you successful? How long did it take RCCL to respond? I realize that protocols are subject to change, but this is a deal breaker for us.

If it is just a deal breaker for you then you should plan to find a different method of vacation or a different cruise line.

Unless you have an extremely rare, verifiable medical condition, you will not be granted an exemption.  Exemptions are not granted because you do not like to wear a mask.

For a medical exemption you will need to contact the Special Needs department and give them your information for consideration for an exemption. Mind you, this is a consideration, no guarantee that it will be granted (most likely not.) You will need to provide proof from your medical team that you actually require a mask exemption.

Edited by cured
  • Like 16

I don’t think there is any exemptions for mask wearing. If you are in an area of the ship that requires them, everybody wears them. No exceptions. I would recommend looking at another line that does not have any masking requirements if you have a condition that makes it impossible to wear one. And even with that I would avoid it because just because you or others are all vaccinated does not guarantee you from getting the virus.

• Like 4

I don't see anything in their protocols that allow for exemptions from masks.  If you have a truly valid medical reason, I agree that you should contact the special needs department.  But you should expect them to be skeptical and ready to provide extensive documentation.  The only one I could even imagine would be a sensory issue with someone who could not medically be vaccinated.  And in that situation, I would imagine the medical advise would be not to cruise, I cannot imagine a responsible doctor enabling someone in that situation to cruise.

• Like 5

We’re already vaccinated and got the booster shot last week. I understand that we have to wear masks indoors ,only take them off when eating or drinking.What people do with their masks when they get to dining venues .Put on the side of the table, in your purse ? I am thinking about buying a mask case for the dirty masks when we’re eating 😊

Edited by Moon Orchid

22 hours ago, Ken said:

If so, were you successful? How long did it take RCCL to respond? I realize that protocols are subject to change, but this is a deal breaker for us.

Cruise with one of the lines that does not require a mask is your only option at this time.     I have Not heard of any exceptions being granted.     If you have a medical that is that severe that you cannot wear a mask then you probably shouldn't be cruising.   

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Moon Orchid said:

We’re already vaccinated and got the booster shot last week. I understand that we have to wear masks indoors ,only take them off when eating or drinking.What people do with their masks when they get to dining venues .Put on the side of the table, in your purse ? I am thinking about buying a mask case for the dirty masks when we’re eating 😊

Use a plastic sandwich bag. Glad you do it and Glad does it! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moon Orchid said:

I wear mine on my wrist, tucked under my sleeve. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, Ken said:

I think the only medical exemptions would be given for those who are on continuous oxygen. My husband has pulmonary and cardiac Sarcoidosis and although wearing a mask is at times uncomfortable for him, he complies at all times. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I think the only medical exemptions would be given for those who are on continuous oxygen. My husband has pulmonary and cardiac Sarcoidosis and although wearing a mask is at times uncomfortable for him, he complies at all times. 

I thought cruise lines were limiting or restricting people who are on medical prescribed oxygen.

Exemptions to wearing MASKs apply for outdoors and  you own cabin and some venues where the only ones admitted have been vaccinated.  There's no cruise line granted exemptions to not wearing a mask at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

I did 2 UK cruises in the summer with Celebrity, where they not only gave you masks in your cabin (as well as sanitiser) but in the main dining room, whether breakfast, lunch or dinner, they gave you a paper bag with the menu, so you could put your mask in it while sitting at the table.

I was very impressed.

• Like 5