Can I make it? 10:28 Am

vcop

Just found out that they changed my departing time till 10:28 am. We are leaving on the Horizon on the December 11th from Miami & return on the19th. I just pulled up our airline tickets & they have been changed. No one has called & let me know. Can I make that returning flight at 10:28 am? Very aggravated 

34 minutes ago, vcop said:

Just found out that they changed my departing time till 10:28 am. We are leaving on the Horizon on the December 11th from Miami & return on the19th. I just pulled up our airline tickets & they have been changed. No one has called & let me know. Can I make that returning flight at 10:28 am? Very aggravated 

If the ship arrives on time and you do self debarkation, you should have no problem catching that flight.  We’ve had earlier flights out of FLL in the past. 

To avoid stress have a backup flight already picked out in case there's an unexpected surprise.  I've made a 930am out of FFL but had a (way more expensive) back up flight already picked out just in case.  Saved hundreds by making the 930am.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

It also depends on what day of the week you will debark.  No way I would take the risk on Monday through Friday with Miami traffic.  Just remember, you need to get to the airport and through their security, which can also be a nightmare depending on the day of the week.

if you can change to later, I would consider it.  No sense ending a relaxing vacation by having to stress about making a flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed Horizon in early November..... I was surprised to see how many ppl were in TSA lines. MIA was packed. We had a later flight and have TSA pre check. We had to queue up to get our boarding passes from the automated kiosks. Are you checking luggage? That'll add a bit of time to self tag and drop off. Debarkation went very smoothly, but we did have to wait about 10 minutes for a taxi. IF everything goes smoothly (a big IF) you could possibly make it. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with a 10:30 flight. I know others here think its doable... But.....

25 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

To avoid stress have a backup flight already picked out in case there's an unexpected surprise.  I've made a 930am out of FFL but had a (way more expensive) back up flight already picked out just in case.  Saved hundreds by making the 930am.

Good plan If you need it. So much depends on the uncontrollable.

in the OPs case though, as pointed out, if the airline changed the time that much, they can do a reschedule now for no cost and eliminate the stress.

Another factor to consider is that you’re arriving in Miami on the Sunday before Christmas.  The already very busy Miami airport could be even more crowded because of holiday travel.  Flights might be so full it could be difficult to switch to a later flight if you miss the 10:28.  If it were me I would change the flight to a later one now.

Edited by nwcruiselover

We usually fly into and out of Miami.....The odds are you will make it IF the stars align; then there's the but.....if you're anything like me, it's not worth the risk. I started worrying about it on Friday for a Sunday

debarkation. Saturday I was a basket case....Sunday morning I was awake well before we docked. I was stressed out watching the lines being secured and then got more anxious when the Cruise Director wasn't making debarking announcements......We finally got the message to go and low and behold, there was the Customs lines to deal with.......Made it through Customs after the passengers before us got held up declaring or rather not declaring purchases.....out to the Taxi line for another wait and finally we were on our way to the airport.......the line to check in our luggage was wrapped around a few aisles but we got that done and it was off to the TSA lines which were packed due to all the ships having arrived and folks going home.....well, we made it to the gate and had about 10 minutes prior to boarding.......So, we made it and you probably will as well BUT, I swore that day that I would never put myself, my wife, my heart and my nerves through that unnecessary ordeal ever again. Especially loosing the enjoyment of the last few days of cruising... The moral of the story is change your flight and live to enjoy another cruise in peace........Good Luck!

If the airline changed your flight by more than an hour you can generally call and choose a new flight for free. Are you cruising/flying in and out of the the same city? 

THIS...pull up your flight info online and if more than hour change typically you can change to another flight (like a later one if one exists) right online.  BTW...we have had many flights changed with several different carriers, no one calls you.  That being said, we have always received an email letting us know there has been a change.  Good luck!

13 hours ago, sanger727 said:

If the airline changed your flight by more than an hour you can generally call and choose a new flight for free. Are you cruising/flying in and out of the the same city? What time is disembarkation?

I had this recently happen to me - Airline (American) changed the flights into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to a time I could not make. There was a flight the same day I could make, but it was like $400 more for each of us. I found a reasonable price alternative flight into Miami and called American to make the flight change. In talking to the very nice agent she asked why I was changing to Miami, when I told her why that I could not afford the much higher priced alternative flight into FLL. She started digging and said since American had changed my original flight, she could book me on the higher priced alternative flight into FLL for the same as my original price. So that worked out quite nice. 

7 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I had this recently happen to me - Airline (American) changed the flights into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to a time I could not make. There was a flight the same day I could make, but it was like $400 more for each of us. I found a reasonable price alternative flight into Miami and called American to make the flight change. In talking to the very nice agent she asked why I was changing to Miami, when I told her why that I could not afford the much higher priced alternative flight into FLL. She started digging and said since American had changed my original flight, she could book me on the higher priced alternative flight into FLL for the same as my original price. So that worked out quite nice. 

Good information for everyone to be aware of.  I have done this MANY times - when the airline changes my flights (sometimes even less than an hour difference), I first research my options and then CALL them to request changing to a flight that I want.  I have always been able to do so (if seats available) and NEVER paid a penny more.  Sometimes this has even worked out nicely to my advantage, being able to get a flight that I previously did not book due to the high price!

23 hours ago, vcop said:

For a 10:28 flight you need to be at MIA by NLT about 9:00, and earlier is better with the typical TSA chaos - do you have pre-check?  With the taxi ride from POM to MIA taking about 20 or so minutes that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration before 8:30 - then take the first cab in line (the flat rate fare is about $28+tip and should be posted inside the cab).  Carrying your own bags off, as suggested above, will help to ensure that you are off the ship in time for this new flight time.

Good luck! 😎

On 11/26/2021 at 10:00 AM, vcop said:

If the ship is no time and you walk off early as possible you should have no issue.  We were just on Royal and walked off with our friends.  They had a 10:15 flight out of Miami.  Made it easy.  Our flight was out of FLL. We had a Carnival passenger on our shuttle.  We were at FLL by 9:00 am.  

If your cruise was out of FLL, I'd say "not a problem" but if your cruise is out of MIA, and your flight is out of MIA, and you return on a week day.... the ride from the port to the airport sometimes can take considerably longer then "normal".  As other posted have said, "have a back-up" plan...just in case.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:31 AM, marco said:

If your cruise was out of FLL, I'd say "not a problem" but if your cruise is out of MIA, and your flight is out of MIA, and you return on a week day.... the ride from the port to the airport sometimes can take considerably longer then "normal".  As other posted have said, "have a back-up" plan...just in case.

Perhaps, in stead of a back-up plan, it might make sense to plan ahead and look at later flights now - when it is likely for there to be more options. Miami can be a zoo - especially during holiday time.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Yikes....I don't think I would chance it in the holiday season.  You can make it if everything goes perfect but there are a dozen things that can go wrong. 

The last time we were in Miami we debarked on a Saturday and hit road construction.  It was a 45minute delay and an $20 in tolls as the Uber driver attempted to go around it.  An hour delay with anything that pops ups with a flight that early and you have drama.