Internet question

molemaui

As Oceania gives you internet for one device at a time, has anybody tried "tethering" their connected device and using it as.a hotspot for a second device?

I'm told this works on NCL (never sailed NCL so don't know first hand but figure it is possible Oceania and NCL have similar WIFI set ups). 

I suspect that will work but O's net speeds are notoriously slow. Couple that with the latency of having to go through your personal hotspot and it may not be worth the effort. Certainly try it though and let us know how it works out.

1 minute ago, Cruise NH said:

I’m new to O, when you say 1 device is it one device per person?  I certainly hope so.

One device per cabin. If my wife’s on the computer, I can’t be.

Let me add about tethering. We are essentially not aboard ship when it is at dock. Therefore, I can’t respond to those circumstances. When at Sea, and on Sea Days, in many places in the world the Satellite capacity craters and every thing gets really slow. I tried the tethering trick once, under those circumstances at sea, and it effectively cratered both phones.

Edited by pinotlover

15 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

I’m new to O, when you say 1 device is it one device per person?  I certainly hope so.

14 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

One device per cabin.

To be precise one device per cabin at a time. You can use more  than one device...I use my phone and my wife uses hers, but the two devices can't be logged in simultaneously.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

To be precise one device per cabin at a time. You can use more  than one device...I use my phone and my wife uses hers, but the two devices can't be logged in simultaneously.

And to add to the precision, the same login credentials must be used for both devices, as it's only one account.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

And to add to the precision, the same login credentials must be used for both devices, as it's only one account.

That precisely is why I'd like to try tethering using my phone as a hotspot. Worse case, I buy another connection or we share. 

I heard of someone on NCL doing this and figured since Oceania is part of NCL, there may be some similarities. 

Oceania's internet service while at sea is very slow, in my experience (cruise to the Caribbean in 2019). Tethering will simply make it even slower. I had to work while cruising, and found that I had the best chances of success using it in the late evening and very early morning hours. When in port, I located a business with wifi like a cafe, purchased a beverage, and logged in to their internet to accomplish my tasks. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

7 minutes ago, DE Solo said:

Oceania's internet service while at sea is very slow, in my experience (cruise to the Caribbean in 2019). Tethering will simply make it even slower. I had to work while cruising, and found that I had the best chances of success using it in the late evening and very early morning hours. When in port, I located a business with wifi like a cafe, purchased a beverage, and logged in to their internet to accomplish my tasks. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

We find that almost always we can get free--and fast-- internet inside the pier terminals in the Caribbean and Europe. The clue will be if you see a bunch of crew sitting around glued to their phones... Some ports will actually post a sign with logon info. Don't know about receptivity on Harvest Caye and Great Stirrup, so would not count on those

12 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Does no one want to follow rules..Oceania gives you one free at a time to keep the speed up..is it too hard to wait your turn???

Jancruz1

I agree. Nothing is “free” - internet is included in our cruise fare. Trying to trick the system will result in slower speed for others who paid for the service.

32 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Does no one want to follow rules..Oceania gives you one free at a time to keep the speed up..is it too hard to wait your turn???

Jancruz1

Two points

1. Oceania doesn't "give" us free internet, they build it into the fare that we pay.

2. By tethering you are just "splitting" the band width provided.  You aren't getting more.  

I tried to find this on a search, but couldn't.  Does anyone know how one could purchase an additional internet account without being in a suite? And a ballpark cost?  My husband and I have our own business and unfortunately need to work while cruising.  We seem to have survived on many Oceania cruises in the past, but want to see if we can be more productive without having to keep switching accounts to get our work done, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, PintoLvr said:

I tried to find this on a search, but couldn't.  Does anyone know how one could purchase an additional internet account without being in a suite? And a ballpark cost?  My husband and I have our own business and unfortunately need to work while cruising.  We seem to have survived on many Oceania cruises in the past, but want to see if we can be more productive without having to keep switching accounts to get our work done, if that makes sense.

Usually there is  a mention of  a paid account in the Blue Book as I recall it was about $27 per day

but you could check with the Computer person once onboard  to set up the extra account

2 hours ago, PintoLvr said:

If you searched the Oceania site I can see why you couldn't find it, it took a bit of digging. Here you go. 

• Streaming Upgrade
    In addition to receiving Wavenet FREE Unlimited WiFi, you may also upgrade to Wavenet Prime and enjoy streaming. Get access to sites such as Netflix or Audible for $9.99 per day.

Wavenet Unlimited WiFi
    Purchase a 2nd login and enjoy general web browsing post photos to social media and check your personal email for $24.99 per day

Wavenet Prime Unlimited WiFi with Streaming
    Purchase a 2nd login and enjoy the same access as the Unlimited Interent (Basic) plan, plus an upgrade to video and audio streaming for $34.98 per day

Someone really should proofread that before publishing it. 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

If you searched the Oceania site I can see why you couldn't find it, it took a bit of digging. Here you go. 

• Streaming Upgrade
    In addition to receiving Wavenet FREE Unlimited WiFi, you may also upgrade to Wavenet Prime and enjoy streaming. Get access to sites such as Netflix or Audible for $9.99 per day.

Wavenet Unlimited WiFi
    Purchase a 2nd login and enjoy general web browsing post photos to social media and check your personal email for $24.99 per day

Wavenet Prime Unlimited WiFi with Streaming
    Purchase a 2nd login and enjoy the same access as the Unlimited Interent (Basic) plan, plus an upgrade to video and audio streaming for $34.98 per day

Someone really should proofread that before publishing it. 

Wow, thank you for digging so deeply!  I'm impressed.  On an 18 day cruise, $450 will buy a lot of martini's, so may just share one account.  Thanks for all your help and that's funny about the proofreading.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What about upgrading to the $9.99/day Streaming-quality account and then tethering to that?  Much cheaper than 2 slow-speed accounts.

I don't think adding streaming increases the speed.  It simply unlocks access to streaming.  All packages have the same basic speed.

• Like 1

Be forewarned that in the past you could NOT have more than one device logged in at the same time, meaning the second device was not able to connect. Now, if one of you is on the internet, be sure to disconnect from the internet before the other signs on or you may be hit up for that ridiculous charge. My husband kept checking his email, thinking that if he did not actually click on one he was  not online, and we had a huge bill. Luckily for us, the internet officer was a lovely young woman who deleted the charge when I explained what had happened.

2 hours ago, cotto22 said:

Be forewarned that in the past you could NOT have more than one device logged in at the same time, meaning the second device was not able to connect. Now, if one of you is on the internet, be sure to disconnect from the internet before the other signs on or you may be hit up for that ridiculous charge. My husband kept checking his email, thinking that if he did not actually click on one he was  not online, and we had a huge bill. Luckily for us, the internet officer was a lovely young woman who deleted the charge when I explained what had happened.

Really?  Using the same log in?