The Daily for Tuesday December 07, 2021

richwmn

Today is Pearl Harbor Day

Today is International Civil Aviation Day, Letter Writing Day, and National Cotton Candy Day

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. - Havelock Ellis

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Lasagna

Drink of the Day - Kamikaze

Wine of the day - William Fèvre 2018 Champs Royaux (Chablis) Burgundy

Destination of the Day - Manta Ecuador

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam Willemstad eta 12/8
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Puerto Plata DO eta 12/8

Cabo San Lucas MX
Koningsdam

Half Moon Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam

Roseau DM
Rotterdam

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 12/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay BS
Noordam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

1207NAmericaE.thumb.png.e28e9cea2a34f35019cca0a5d44cec6a.png

1207NAmericaW.thumb.png.dae5350cb709d777215710110d8684fd.png

1207Europe.thumb.png.e61e4a6b871417ea4349965d9182e311.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Good Tuesday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Wow, Pearl Harbor Day already.   Nice collection of days, I doubt that I will be having cotton candy though.  Interesting quote but I don’t think there is an art to just being.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but the drink seems a bit strong for a Tuesday.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for all that need them today and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events. 

• Like 23

Thank you for the Daily, Rich, on this Day that Will Live in Infamy.  The meal sounds nice but I'll pass on the Cotton Candy.  I'm not a letter writer but salute those who do.  Civil Aviation has a special place in the scheme of things.  I love the Ellis quote.  Been to Manta a few times, I think on both Crystal and HAL.

Today’s care list:

RIP Bob Dole
RIP John
Dfish cousin’s family
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers DMIL in hospice
summer slope awaiting biopsy results
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
My travel agent recovering from esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery 24 Decenber with pre-test 21 Decenber
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Bon Voyage Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19
Front Line Health Care Workers
5 days for Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16)
4 days for NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23)
Vict0riann getaway to Bellingham
Quartize Cruiser and Heartgrove (Koningsdam to 12/12),_Lindaler (Rotterdam to ½) , Cruisin Terri (Riviera to 12/13), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and  kb4683 (Regal Princess to 12/9) at sea
An appointment for NextOne DDIL with Long Haul Covid
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

It's Pearl Harbor Day and I read that a company in Hamilton, Ontario is taking some steel from the USS Arizona and turning it into medals.  We've got a snow squall warning, so I guess I'll stay home and write a letter.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, hope the drink and wine are good.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Tuesday. 

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

It's a foggy morning here but will be sunny with temps in the low 80's later this afternoon.

I remember visiting the Arizona Memorial in Peal Harbor. A very moving experience. We honor all the brave people who have given so much, including the sacrifice of their lives. At the same time, we realize the horrors and ultimate futility of war.

Those on this forum understand the value of traveling to new places and meeting peoples from all over the world. Understanding one another is the best way to prevent conflict.

I wish everyone PEACE today.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I am thankful for this day because it is the day my wonderful DH was born 61 years ago. No cotton candy today, but DD and DGS are surprising DH with his favorite...donuts and frozen hot chocolate here in a little while.

I like the quote. Love lasagna, but don't have an Instant Pot and we will be having shrimp tonight.

It is very foggy here in East Orlando this morning. But never fear the humidity and allergies are in full force.

As always, I am looking forward to pictures and each of your daily updates.

I pray everyone has a safe and happy day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 29

Good afternoon from a cold 39°F and damp NE England.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the lists.

Interesting days.

We went to Pearl harbour on our Grand Princess cruise in November 2019.

I will give the quote,food and drink 👎.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20191124_123750.jpg

IMG_20191124_125458.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

A new day brings new hope.  Today it will be gray and cold in northeast Ohio, but we'll make the most of it anyways.  Not much on the agenda for today except the pool and a stop by the pharmacy.  

Today's meal goes in the category of comfort food for me.  I love lasagna, but the carb content holds me at bay most of the time.  I have to treat it like a side dish to my salad.  

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-lasagna/

607160210_instant-pot-lasagna2.thumb.jpg.5a6dc16f51aa8fae8fc3cd65cc627224.jpg

Doesn't that look good.   You can have the piece being lifted out and I'll take the rest, thank you!  The trick here is to used a springform pan to make the lasagna, giving it the round shape.

You don't need a springform pan, as this next recipe demonstrates.  This next one also takes a few steps to make a healthier version using ground turkey or chicken.  Pay attention to the section on substitutions and variations.  You can make this to your own liking with very little effort.  https://ifoodreal.com/instant-pot-lasagna/

instant-pot-lasagna-2.thumb.jpg.da05f2571d36d2b8ad455502b2a9625f.jpg

In a hurry tonight?  Go ahead and use those jars of spaghetti sauce from the grocery store.  https://www.campbells.com/prego/recipes/instant-pot-lasagna/

2560x821_0054_Instant-Pot-Lasagna-2048x657.thumb.jpg.4b50d3fb4f509d1e130d88df37f5f5d7.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We remember and honour all those who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor.  Thank goodness for civil aviation, otherwise we'd be unable to get to the far away places from which we could board a BHB.  I think I'm ahead of the game for letter writing day - I wrote a half dozen letters that I included in Christmas cards.   I haven't had cotton candy in years; maybe it's time to find some.

Not a lot going on here on the "frozen tundra" today; the temperature and wind chill factors (-30C) are making me think we'll be spending most of the day indoors.  I think today will be a good day to start wrapping gifts - we still give some to neighbours who moved away a number of years ago, and a few close friends.  Then there are the gifts for the grandsons and our family in Calgary, although those can wait till closer to Christmas.  Steaming hot mocha might be the drink of the day for us.

@JAM37 Happy Birthday to your DH; wishing him many happy returns of the day!

I like today's menu suggestion, although I don't have any lasagna noodles on hand.  I think I'll just substitute spaghetti instead, and we can enjoy that with a side salad for our dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the wine glasses high tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, wear your masks, wash your hands, stay safe, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

The gremlins are at it again. 

6988CD78-EE3A-4CEB-9BCF-3CB5453AC6CE.jpeg.f9e63e93049522c8f3a2bed5a9ab749c.jpeg

@JAM37 happy birthday to your DH. 
E37540BF-A4F2-4601-B2DC-CA1C02CD47FC.jpeg.3f6bdfdded640232194baf77ae64d307.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone. 

William Fèvre 2018 Champs Royaux (Chablis)

This Chablis has excellent ratings and a fairly reasonable price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $21.89. 

Winemaker Notes

#66 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

William Fevre's Champs Royaux Chablis is impressively precise, delivering a nose of citrus fruits, flowers, green apple and flinty flavors of wet stone in the mid-palate with a beautifully clean finish. Fresh, supple, it is marked by mineral notes, typical of the appellation.

A perfect accompaniment for shellfish menus, grilled fish, oysters, and sushi - but would also work well with many roast chicken recipes seasoned with fresh herbs such as thyme or tarragon.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

A subtle hint of tangerine on the nose dissipates to leave ripe lemon brightness. The palate is beautifully concentrated, juicy and fresh, brimming with lemon-edged Mirabelle fruitiness. A chalky depth anchors everything in more coolness despite the ripe, rounded vintage.
WW90 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The William Fèvre Champs Royaux Chablis has always been built for success, and the 2018 vintage is on cue. This wine is wild, tart, and crisp. Enjoy its beautifully appointed aromas and flavors of green apples and wild herbs with sardines on a toasted baguette. 
WS90 Wine Spectator
Clean and balanced, this white offers white peach, apple and floral aromas and flavors. A hint of mineral graces the mouthwatering finish.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

43 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I am thankful for this day because it is the day my wonderful DH was born 61 years ago. No cotton candy today, but DD and DGS are surprising DH with his favorite...donuts and frozen hot chocolate here in a little while.

I like the quote. Love lasagna, but don't have an Instant Pot and we will be having shrimp tonight.

It is very foggy here in East Orlando this morning. But never fear the humidity and allergies are in full force.

As always, I am looking forward to pictures and each of your daily updates.

I pray everyone has a safe and happy day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Happy 61st birthday today for your DH.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211028_164408.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the Daily. The quote is a good one and I think I will try the Instant pot lasagna today. My BFF and I still laugh about the one and only time we had kamakazis. Oh my.

@JAM37,  Happy Birthday to your DH!

@erewhon, thank you for your question about Tana. We had a very long day but survived. The portable oxygen only lasts 3 hours so she had to connect to hospital machines while undergoing the tests. Of course, the afternoon traffic was heavy and it took us forever in spite of our close proximity to the city. We just made it home and hooked up right away to the main concentrator.I enlisted the help of her son to get dinner ready for them as she had had a minimal lunch. He promised to do the dishes…..

Have  not been to the port but look forward to pictures. Take care everyone.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  It was a little colder than predicted this morning so instead of walking to the gym we stayed home and did our treadmill walk.  We shall never forget those who died in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.  I salute Civil Aviation Day, encourage letter writing, and really don't care about cotton candy anymore.  Maybe when I was 7 I did!

Happy birthday to @JAM37's DH on his 61st birthday.  Today is also my DSIL's 50th birthday and this is what my DD sent me a photo of today.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4IV5-RFMehjZRHNwLhkzUKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1638883142

I'm sure Travis isn't embarrassed at all!!

The Instant Pot Lasagna sounds very good, but I don't have an Instant Pot either.  We sure have some interesting quotes, don't we?  Anyway, thank you Rich for your Daily report today.  Thank you Roy for including me and my friends and DMIL on your lists.  We have so much going on here that we need someone to keep us all straight on the prayers and celebrations.  DH and I are booked on a flight Thursday to Cincinnati to attend our DGD's college commencement ceremony Friday.  We fly back on Sunday. Meanwhile, everyone is on pins and needles awaiting word on DMIL.  She's surprised us in the past and may do that this time too, but...🤷‍♀️

Our port today of Manta, Ecuador was visited by us on the Star Princess in 2012, and is booked again in 2023.  I remember posting photos from there before for some reason.  Does anyone else remember Manta?

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

It's a foggy morning here but will be sunny with temps in the low 80's later this afternoon.

I remember visiting the Arizona Memorial in Peal Harbor. A very moving experience. We honor all the brave people who have given so much, including the sacrifice of their lives. At the same time, we realize the horrors and ultimate futility of war.

Those on this forum understand the value of traveling to new places and meeting peoples from all over the world. Understanding one another is the best way to prevent conflict.

I wish everyone PEACE today.

Stay safe.

Beautiful and well written. Peace be with you as well. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was a little colder than predicted this morning so instead of walking to the gym we stayed home and did our treadmill walk.  We shall never forget those who died in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.  I salute Civil Aviation Day, encourage letter writing, and really don't care about cotton candy anymore.  Maybe when I was 7 I did!

Happy birthday to @JAM37's DH on his 61st birthday.  Today is also my DSIL's 50th birthday and this is what my DD sent me a photo of today.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4IV5-RFMehjZRHNwLhkzUKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1638883142

I'm sure Travis isn't embarrassed at all!!

The Instant Pot Lasagna sounds very good, but I don't have an Instant Pot either.  We sure have some interesting quotes, don't we?  Anyway, thank you Rich for your Daily report today.  Thank you Roy for including me and my friends and DMIL on your lists.  We have so much going on here that we need someone to keep us all straight on the prayers and celebrations.  DH and I are booked on a flight Thursday to Cincinnati to attend our DGD's college commencement ceremony Friday.  We fly back on Sunday. Meanwhile, everyone is on pins and needles awaiting word on DMIL.  She's surprised us in the past and may do that this time too, but...🤷‍♀️

Our port today of Manta, Ecuador was visited by us on the Star Princess in 2012, and is booked again in 2023.  I remember posting photos from there before for some reason.  Does anyone else remember Manta?

Happy birthday to Travis. 

Safe travels Thursday and Sunday and congratulations to your DGD.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. A chilly 38° but calm winds and the sun is starting to peep out from its slumber.

Prayers said for Roys care list. Extra special thoughts for our Roy, Jacqui and Jose.

I've been to Pearl Harbor. A solemn and tragic place to reflect on what war has brought to our past and what will be in our future. Prayed this morning Mr. Putin chooses not to go to war on Ukraine. 

I never used my instapot. Gave it away prior to our move. I would not be making lasagna as we are having couples pedicures and going for sushi. 

Happy Birthday to Travis and JAM37 DH. 

Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, although I think we will be at PF Chang’s since it’s close to the hotel.  Using points at staying at the Marriott located in the airport.  Today’s quote is spot on.  It takes some learning to let go of some of the pain and hold onto the kindness of others.  
We made it to the airport, passed through security and had breakfast.

I hope that everyone has a good day.

image.png.94616ffc820b4848abe398daea1263cf.png

• Like 34

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

Happy Birthday!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1