What if you don't have the NCL app? (ie: phone too old to install) Will they not allow you on board?

fstuff1

Having problems with my Android 11 phone.

I cruise in 2 weeks.

Borrowed a Samsung S7 (Android 8 ) from a relative.

NCL app doesnt work on that phone. (i suspect ncl app requires Android 9 or higher.)

Is there anything you can't do on your cabin's tv that you can on the app?

(and I'm kidding about not letting you on board) :classic_smile:

Edited by fstuff1

25 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

I cruise in 2 weeks.

NCL app doesnt work on that phone. (i suspect ncl app requires Android 9 or higher.)

The app gives you access to your own personal itinerary, including options to view info on tours, dining reservations, etc.  Many of those details are unavailable on your stateroom TV.  The TV does give you access to your on board account, but I don't recall being able to view the Freestyle Daily on the TV like you can using the app.  There probably are a few more features of the app that aren't available on the TV, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Worse comes to worse, go to Walmart and get a burner phone, sign up for one month and then cancel.  Some of those phones are REALLY cheap and month service on a month to month plan shouldn't be that crazy.  Then just cancel and (you didn't hear that from me) return the phone!!  Or, since it's so cheap, maybe just use it as a music player in your car or something via USB.

You can get a paper copy of the daily newsletter from the desk in the atrium. You can book dining at the tv screens , or have someone at the desk do it. Same for excursions.

I have an iPhone 13, but when I am on vacation I put it in the safe and I leave it there. All technology can be left behind for the week. It is not a necessity to have the phone at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stefmaia said:

You can get a paper copy of the daily newsletter from the desk in the atrium. You can book dining at the tv screens , or have someone at the desk do it. Same for excursions.

I have an iPhone 13, but when I am on vacation I put it in the safe and I leave it there. All technology can be left behind for the week. It is not a necessity to have the phone at all.

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

On the Breakaway last week, we were delivered the Daily paper.  We also could access our bill on the TV.  I never found something I needed to use the app for.

+1.  I had my iPhone with app on the my last cruise and I don't recall using it for anything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I cruise in 2 weeks.

Didn't you just to complete a cruise? I think that you know that nothing with the check in process required a phone. Nothing with the muster process required a phone. Nothing onboard requires a phone. 

Is it easier with a phone, sure. 

Have Santa get you a new phone for Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Recent getaway.

Daily in cabin, with the usual rubbish NCL not in save the planet mode, my other cruise this year paper stuff on request only.

Menus available but not out on tables.

As have the phone for  photo it was handy to do quick checks of schedule/opening times and view menus.

19 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I cruise in 2 weeks.

Never gave a thought to the NCL app on my phone. Now that you brought it up, is this going to work without wifi, or are you going to be required to pay for wifi access on the ship?

Clarification: NCL App runs fine onboard without WiFi inTERnet access, just need to be connected to WiFI inTRAnet for most functions to work, calling & messaging thru that App did not work without optionally signing up for the offered plan or package, etc.  InTERnet access onboard via WiFi requires a time or unlimited plan, inTRAnet do not and is free (ncl dot com is accessible at all times, but often URL is often sluggish)

Most current Android ver is 2.1.0 (5) - updated Dec 6, 2021

Requires Android 8.1 and up (to install and run)

(of course, it is possible to find & sideload an old APK that still work with Android 6.0 on a given device ... good luck, doubtful)  Personally, I would not store anything important on a Marshmallow device ... from official source: Android 6.0 was released in 2015 and we are ending support to provide the latest and greatest features in our app using the more recent Android versions. As of September 2019, Google is no longer supporting Android 6.0 and there will be no new security updates.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:57 AM, mking8288 said:

Most current Android ver is 2.1.0 (5) - updated Dec 6, 2021

Requires Android 8.1 and up (to install and run)

(of course, it is possible to find & sideload an old APK that still work with Android 6.0 on a given device ... good luck, doubtful) 

current version of ncl app is v2.1.0.
i tried to sideload older versions of ncl app v2.x.
Wouldnt load on my 8.0. 😞

The last v1.x was v1.8.9.
I'm going try to install that.

but even if it installs, i wonder if it'll work and connect to my acct on the ship?

(I'll update this when i find out either way.)

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

current version of ncl app is v2.1.0  ...  last v1.x was v1.8.9.   ... going try to install that.

but even if it installs, i wonder if it'll work and connect to my acct on the ship?

Unless your device's battery was replaced recently & hold a full charge well, consider a pre-owned Android replacement - easily get an extended service life out of it.  For about the price of 2 nights of SDP, you can pick up (on Swappa) a Google Pixel 3a or 3a XL that runs great on Android 11 and among the first to run stock Android 12, clean with zero bloatware, factory/carrier unlocked - OEM support thru end of 2022, and later on, switch over to custom rom.  That's the frugal way, not a lot of extra bells & whistles, but pretty good & has a very good camera - compatible with all 3 network providers.  

If you stick with the latest plan, be sure to disable or turn off automatic "update" for the older sideloaded NCL app before you connect to the ship's intRATnet, that should help.  Good luck !

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, fstuff1 said:

current version of ncl app is v2.1.0.
i tried to sideload older versions of ncl app v2.x.
Wouldnt load on my 8.0. 😞

The last v1.x was v1.8.9.
I'm going try to install that.

V1.8.9 failed to load.

V1.8.7 failed.

V1.8.6 loaded!

Now to see if it works when I board Gem next month

• Like 1

Can you open V1.8.6 now that it loaded & installed, meaning ... does the app start up and run (of course, nothing will load or work)   Modify and temporary change your home WiFi router's SSiD to something like "NCL_Gem" or similar to fake an onboard connection to log-in ... see if it will do the handshaking to run.  If that works, the trick might just work later on when you are onboard - disabled auto-update for the APP.   Restore your temporary WiFi name & settings.  Good luck, enjoy & happy and safe cruising.  

Just got back today.  No need for the app whatsoever.

Having a phone marginally helps for the purpose of pre-cruise testing, using Eurofins, as you'll receive the test result via text (and email login) faster than waiting for your number to show on the screen.

(Regarding phones and apps, if you're not a fan, don't cruise on Virgin.  Their entire cruise booking, reservation, and information sharing system is all app based...and it doesn't work very well at all).

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Can you open V1.8.6 now that it loaded & installed, meaning ... does the app start up and run (of course, nothing will load or work)   Modify and temporary change your home WiFi router's SSiD to something like "NCL_Gem" or similar to fake an onboard connection to log-in ... see if it will do the handshaking to run.  If that works, the trick might just work later on when you are onboard - disabled auto-update for the APP.   Restore your temporary WiFi name & settings.  Good luck, enjoy & happy and safe cruising.  

i can open it.

entered the same login/passwodd as ncl.com and it accepted it.

i can see  all 4 of my booked cruises in 2022!

i turned off auto-update for all apps in the playstore.

can't do the ssid change.

i hotspot my phone for home internet.

i try it when i board the gem next month

• Like 1