Mask Mandate starting 12/18

pilgrimage

34 minutes ago, basor said:

...you continue to advocate not masking up.  Big difference.

At the risk of being flamed, I believe she is advocating for choice rather than mandates.  Now that's a big difference.   I agree with others that anyone uncomfortable with a mandate should cancel if able.  Flouting the rule is not the answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/18/2021 at 2:38 PM, davencl said:

I wondered too until someone posted this link to Oceania's website:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-12/sail-safe-health-program-v23.pdf

It matches exactly what the OP posted.

But, but, but, just went to O's site and the Sail Safe program now reflects the December 9 masking policy: face masks will not be required.

34 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

But, but, but, just went to O's site and the Sail Safe program now reflects the December 9 masking policy: face masks will not be required.

Please don’t confuse things with what is already old info.

Here is part of a more recent communication (12/18/21):

TRAVEL AND ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR DECEMBER 2021 + JANUARY 2022 VOYAGES

EXPLORING ASHORE

At the time of issue of this guidance, many destinations are updating their guidelines on independent touring. While the majority of destinations on our itineraries permit guests to tour independently, the situation remains fluid and may change without notice. The latest country-specific information is listed below and is subject to change.

RIVIERA VOYAGE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS – JANUARY 14, 2022

FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS

In order to provide the highest level of health and safety during your voyage, as of December 18th, 2021 all Oceania Cruises vessels have implemented a mandatory masking policy for all guests onboard with the following exceptions:

• While indoors unless actively eating/drinking or seated at a table in a dining setting.

• While outdoors in crowded settings when physical distancing cannot be achieved.

Please be advised that this is a zero-tolerance policy and violators will be disembarked from the vessel for non-compliance.

39 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Yes that's correct.  Later in the day O pulled it from their site.  Clearly was a big mistake as O upper management had no knowledge.  It seems a draft inadvertently got placed on the link(assumption on my part).  However the OP's original post was accurate at the time.

Edited by davencl

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Please don’t confuse things with what is already old info.

Here is part of a more recent communication (12/18/21):

RIVIERA VOYAGE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS – JANUARY 14, 2022

FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS

In order to provide the highest level of health and safety during your voyage, as of December 18th, 2021 all Oceania Cruises vessels have implemented a mandatory masking policy for all guests onboard with the following exceptions:

• While indoors unless actively eating/drinking or seated at a table in a dining setting.

• While outdoors in crowded settings when physical distancing cannot be achieved.

Please be advised that this is a zero-tolerance policy and violators will be disembarked from the vessel for non-compliance.

Just now copied the latest, which has reverted to the December 9 iteration:

FACE COVERINGS

Are face coverings required?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew and therefore face coverings are generally not required, subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing. We will continue to update our face coverings policy as protocols evolve and change.

I think with all the back and forth O is doing on this subject, I'll just wait until Jan 14 boarding to see what's in place.  I will be packing masks just in case things change from what I just copied above.  And I'm sure the rules will change several times between now and then.  In the meantime, I'll stay away from this thread since it is scrambling my brain!

See you on-board, Flatbush!

Donna

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GeorgesGal said:

FACE COVERINGS

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew and therefore face coverings are generally not required, subject to local oversight of authorities in the jurisdiction(s) in which the ships are sailing. We will continue to update our face coverings policy as protocols evolve and change.

I think with all the back and forth O is doing on this subject, I'll just wait until Jan 14 boarding to see what's in place.  I will be packing masks just in case things change from what I just copied above.  And I'm sure the rules will change several times between now and then.  In the meantime, I'll stay away from this thread since it is scrambling my brain!

Donna

Yes I'm on the 14th sailing too.   Hope no masks but I don't care.  Just happy to cruise.

1 minute ago, GeorgesGal said:

FACE COVERINGS

Donna

The communication I quoted has nothing to do with the general info in the FAQs. We (on our cruise) have yet to receive the communication I cited. 
It’s in effect for the December cruises already.

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The communication I quoted has nothing to do with the general info in the FAQs. We (on our cruise) have yet to receive the communication I cited. 
It’s in effect for the December cruises already.

FF, are you saying passengers on individual voyages are getting info specific to their sail date, while the website has reverted to the earlier (no mandate) language?

21 minutes ago, marieps said:

FF, are you saying passengers on individual voyages are getting info specific to their sail date, while the website has reverted to the earlier (no mandate) language?

Yes. For example, look at the “ATW and segments” thread where many current communications are shared. Plus, it looks like December sailings have received similar communications.

What I have found is that: to get an accurate picture of what is actually going on, you need to follow more CC threads than just your cruise roll call. If nothing else, it gives you a bigger picture of what management is trying to accomplish. But, clearly the aforementioned “cut and paste” mentality of someone in Miami is making a mess of things that ends up looking like an ongoing SNAFU.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

But, clearly the aforementioned “cut and paste” mentality of someone in Miami is making a mess of things that ends up looking like an ongoing SNAFU.

Continuous SNAFUs like this are seriously inexcusable for such a large organization.  As I previously stated: "If they worked for me, they would be fired!"   These are not one-off errors, someone should be accountable. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I would rather travel, and wear a mask when required, than sit at home and mildew to the woodwork.

Like my Grandmammy would say “ If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the Kitchen!”  Neither cruising not travel may be for everyone in the next 2-3+ years.

There are clearly alternatives.  We chose to explore the National Parks during the height of the first COVID.  Once we got off the plane, we were outdoors at Zion, Arches, Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  No mask required while out hiking, and rarely were we within six feet of anyone.

I urge anyone uneasy about cruising to explore our country, especially the glorious west.  3 weeks after a river cruise next August (God willing), we're doing Glacier Nat'l park.  Can't wait.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Yes. For example, look at the “ATW and segments” thread where many current communications are shared. Plus, it looks like December sailings have received similar communications.

What I have found is that: to get an accurate picture of what is actually going on, you need to follow more CC threads than just your cruise roll call. If nothing else, it gives you a bigger picture of what management is trying to accomplish. But, clearly the aforementioned “cut and paste” mentality of someone in Miami is making a mess of things that ends up looking like an ongoing SNAFU.

Thank you.  I sail Riviera Feb 7 and have yet to receive anything.

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

+  1

USA Today reports Norwegian and Royal Caribbean new policies:

Quotes Christine Da Silva, senior vice president of branding and communication for Norwegian. 

We can presume that will flow downhill to Oceania today?

CruiseCritic also has a "news" post with a 17Dec dateline.  But for some reason that hasn't made it to the Oceania forum here?

Both indicate perhaps only through 05Jan2022.  (Besides infectious only when standing, Covid also has a calendar?!)

Edited by Jockocruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is within the email that I just received from Oceania concerning my January 14 cruise.

The health and safety of our guests and crew is always our number one priority and at the advice of the medical experts on our SailSAFE Global Health and Wellness Council, for all sailings departing after December 18, 2021 and until further notice, all guests will be required to wear face masks in all public areas of the ship, unless eating or drinking while seated. Masks are also required outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained. Face masks must fully cover the nose and mouth, down to the chin. Gaiters and other loose facial coverings are not acceptable. Additionally, many destinations have very specific face mask requirements for going ashore. We strongly recommend all guests travel with an adequate supply of medical-grade masks, commonly known as surgical masks or KN-95 masks. Should you require additional masks while traveling, all ships will be adequately stocked, and you may obtain them from your Stateroom or Suite Attendant or at Reception. We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Please note: this guidance is subject to change as the global health map evolves. 

Just received this for our January cruise…

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We have an important update for you in regards to our pier-side pre-cruise testing and onboard face mask requirements. 

FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS

The health and safety of our guests and crew is always our number one priority and at the advice of the medical experts on our SailSAFE Global Health and Wellness Council, for all sailings departing after December 18, 2021 and until further notice, all guests will be required to wear face masks in all public areas of the ship, unless eating or drinking while seated. Masks are also required outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained. Face masks must fully cover the nose and mouth, down to the chin. Gaiters and other loose facial coverings are not acceptable. Additionally, many destinations have very specific face mask requirements for going ashore. We strongly recommend all guests travel with an adequate supply of medical-grade masks, commonly known as surgical masks or KN-95 masks. Should you require additional masks while traveling, all ships will be adequately stocked, and you may obtain them from your Stateroom or Suite Attendant or at Reception. We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Please note: this guidance is subject to change as the global health map evolves. 

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING

Until further notice, all guests will undergo complimentary pier-side COVID-19 antigen testing prior to embarkation. Additionally, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country. 

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to, at a minimum, take a laboratory-administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. 

Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory-supplied test result, and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return arrangements.

Should you need to locate a testing provider prior to beginning travel or while traveling prior to your cruise, please visit TestForTravel.com, an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or antigen.  

Laboratory-Certified Testing from the Comfort and Convenience of Your Own Home

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while traveling, Oceania Cruises has partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/oceania/.

Should you have any questions about Inspired Diagnostics’ in-home testing services, please visit https://inspirediagnostics.com/oceania/, call Inspired Diagnostics at 949-207-3315, or email info@inspirediagnostics.com. Please be certain to identify yourself as a guest of Oceania Cruises. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

1 minute ago, HiFi43 said:

Just received this for our January cruise…

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We have an important update for you in regards to our pier-side pre-cruise testing and onboard face mask requirements. 

FACE MASK REQUIREMENTS

PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING

Until further notice, all guests will undergo complimentary pier-side COVID-19 antigen testing prior to embarkation. Additionally, we strongly recommend that all guests consult with local government websites to determine the country-specific information for your port of embarkation as many countries require a negative COVID-19 PCR test that is not older than 48 or 72 hours prior to arrival in-country. 

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to, at a minimum, take a laboratory-administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. 

Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory-supplied test result, and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return arrangements.

Should you need to locate a testing provider prior to beginning travel or while traveling prior to your cruise, please visit TestForTravel.com, an easy-to-use online tool for locating COVID-19 testing providers around the world. Simply enter your zip code, or city and country, and the website will display locations, contact information, and testing hours. It also allows you to search by test type – PCR or antigen.  

Laboratory-Certified Testing from the Comfort and Convenience of Your Own Home

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while traveling, Oceania Cruises has partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/oceania/.

Should you have any questions about Inspired Diagnostics’ in-home testing services, please visit https://inspirediagnostics.com/oceania/, call Inspired Diagnostics at 949-207-3315, or email info@inspirediagnostics.com. Please be certain to identify yourself as a guest of Oceania Cruises. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

Yes I received the same.  Glad to still cruise.  Would prefer no mask. I just hope this cruise doesn't cancel.

Frankly I'd be fine if mine did cancel.  I just two in the span of three weeks with no masks.  I'll of course comply with whatever rules are in place but as a hearing impaired person masks severely limit my ability to communicate.  

35 minutes ago, davencl said:

Yes I received the same.  Glad to still cruise.  Would prefer no mask. I just hope this cruise doesn't cancel.

Just returned from a Regent Splendor  cruise with NO MASKS and it was wonderful.  Looking at our next one and if masks are required we would cancel.  Would not be much fun for us 

• Like 2

The last part of the testing requirements in the new Sail-Safe Notice is important, should one test positive at the pier-side antigen test:

...Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative COVID-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return embarkation arrangements.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Bubble tours are common sense. Let’s hope O uses it. 

As long as you include as a bubble tour a private tour with < 15 other passengers going mostly to mostly the same places as ship ran tours, I might agree. If your advocating ship ran tours only, I strongly disagree.

Many localities don’t have the infrastructure to handle massive ship tours. Even Oceania depends upon smaller operators to take care of many of the cruisers. It’s like outsourcing work to Travel Agencies, O needs to outsource some of the ship tours to private enterprise. 

• Like 2