Recent (last 18 months) turn-around time for passport renewals?

Silent Penguin

It's back to regular now. Well it was back, omicron may end up causing some issues but hasn't yet. Standard processing times are in effect, many have reported quicker turn around times. There is a thread in "ask a cruise question" going on this topic with many replies and peoples experiences. 

We renewed for wife and son in late Nov. and paid for expedited plus express mail return. Needed for 12/24 flight, cruise was 12/26. We had a 5 week window and got them in around 3 weeks. May have gotten them in time without the extra expense, didn't want to risk it. Figured it was our fault for waiting so long to renew.

Expedited a renewal on Dec 2nd. We had it back to us on the 16th which amazed us. Well worth expediting to us for the two week turn around. A friend sent hers at the same time….she’s been in processing and the status screen said 5-11 weeks more. 

Luckily I renewed mine just before COVID! So I would say that it may be worth paying the expedited fee if you know you will travel in the next 3-5 months. Just play it safe. BTW the renewal fees increased.  Me personally I would gladly pay the expediting fee if I knew passports would take 6-12 weeks to process. Its a small price to pay for an expensive journey.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, Silent Penguin said:

This question is for those who have renewed their US passports within the last 18 months.  How long did it take to get your new passport in the mail?  Thanks.  

I renewed in June 2021 and received my passport in Oct. 2021. Good thing is, you can write a check for the renewal fee. 

My wife and I did ours in October, she did expedite, and I did normal.  We both got them in around 3 weeks, I do live in Dallas so the normal ones are processed there so I think if you live outside of the area expect more shipping time.  

Ours expired two days ago and knowing we wanted to cruise soon I sent them in expedited about a week before Christmas. I checked about a week after I sent them in and the status was "In Process", so hopefully we'll get them soon. 

The hubby and my passports were received 09/28 and we didn’t receive the new ones until late November or early December. I was surprised as I read on the forum people were getting them back much quicker. Our passports expired last February so that may have been a factor. We are in California. 

Edited by LaRue1975

• 3 weeks later...