Premium Drinks Package-Upgrade Worth It?

granddutchess

Can someone please tell me whereon the cruise planner I can do the upgrade from the included classic to the premium?  I see the drinks packages listed separately with the (full) pricing - but don't know where/how to find the upgrade option to pay just that 'difference' in price?  Am I blind?  LOL

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

Can someone please tell me whereon the cruise planner I can do the upgrade from the included classic to the premium?  I see the drinks packages listed separately with the (full) pricing - but don't know where/how to find the upgrade option to pay just that 'difference' in price?  Am I blind?  LOL

When I log into my account and click on drinks, I get a blue banner offering me to upgrade.   This is for a cruise in late June, we are not yet at final payment.   And I think that this option has been there for quite some time.

Hi!  Two things:

1. If you have a beverage package included it may not be showing in the Cruise Planner.  If this is the case, call Celebrity and tell them.  There is a code they put in on their end and it will then show on your end as you having a package.  Classic or Premium. 

2.  To upgrade:  Once it shows that you have an included package, then the upgrade option shows.  If you are able to get a Captain's Club Loyalty Discount, then you have to call.  The discount can not be applied online.   If you do not have a discount then you can upgrade online.

Other notes:

~ You can do this for just one person in the cabin or both

~ Once upgraded, you will get a notification e-mail from Celebrity 

~ You can pay with credit card or use OBC if you have but OBC is not required to be used if you don't want to

🍹

• Thanks 1

We are on the Equinox now.  We are not big drinkers, but the upgrade is very nice.  We haven’t had to worry about whether a drink is included.  And we have been able to try new drinks that aren’t included in the Classic package.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rotoal said:

When I log into my account and click on drinks, I get a blue banner offering me to upgrade.   This is for a cruise in late June, we are not yet at final payment.   And I think that this option has been there for quite some time.

No 'blue banner' for me - I am past final payment - guess they don't want me to upgrade?  LOL.

13 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Hi!  Two things:

1. If you have a beverage package included it may not be showing in the Cruise Planner.  If this is the case, call Celebrity and tell them.  There is a code they put in on their end and it will then show on your end as you having a package.  Classic or Premium. 

2.  To upgrade:  Once it shows that you have an included package, then the upgrade option shows.  If you are able to get a Captain's Club Loyalty Discount, then you have to call.  The discount can not be applied online.   If you do not have a discount then you can upgrade online.

Other notes:

~ You can do this for just one person in the cabin or both

~ Once upgraded, you will get a notification e-mail from Celebrity 

~ You can pay with credit card or use OBC if you have but OBC is not required to be used if you don't want to

🍹

I have a beverage package included in cruise fare - not sure if and how it is 'showing' in the cruise planner?  and no way in hell am I call Celebrity yet again - each time I call I get different answers to the same question, no consistent customer service, and as for 'getting a notification email'  I didn't get one for the flights booked, or specialty dining or tours so am leery that I would get one for this!  LOL - Very jaded given my ongoing poor experiences and as a first time Celebrity cruiser I am so far not impressed and sure hope my onboard experience makes up for all the problems and effort!

1 minute ago, Froufie said:

I have a beverage package included in cruise fare - not sure if and how it is 'showing' in the cruise planner?  and no way in hell am I call Celebrity yet again - each time I call I get different answers to the same question, no consistent customer service, and as for 'getting a notification email'  I didn't get one for the flights booked, or specialty dining or tours so am leery that I would get one for this!  LOL - Very jaded given my ongoing poor experiences and as a first time Celebrity cruiser I am so far not impressed and sure hope my onboard experience makes up for all the problems and effort!

Hi!  From my experience,  if it gives you the option to purchase the Classic and not the option to upgrade to Premium then it isn't 'showing' that you have it included.  This would mean you have to call in order for it to show correctly in the Cruise Planner.   

If you don't have a discount that can be applied and you don't mind waiting until you board then you can wait and do it as soon as you are on the ship.   Personally,  if I don't have Premium to start and have to upgrade I prefer doing it beforehand, but that's just me.  😉

I know calling Celebrity can be a challenge at times and who you get and their knowledge is another story.  If you get an agent that knows what they are talking about, ask for their extension so you can always talk to that same person.  It depends on the department but usually it's possible. 

As soon as I book anything, whether it's the cruise or flights, etc..., I make sure I have an e-mail confirmation and check that everything is correct and print it out.  Usually the agent will wait on the phone to confirm the e-mail has come through. 

I love the planning and anticipation so I hope your planning goes a little more smoothly. 😉

Enjoy your cruise and Celebrity!  😃

🍹

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Hi!  From my experience,  if it gives you the option to purchase the Classic and not the option to upgrade to Premium then it isn't 'showing' that you have it included.  This would mean you have to call in order for it to show correctly in the Cruise Planner.   

If you don't have a discount that can be applied and you don't mind waiting until you board then you can wait and do it as soon as you are on the ship.   Personally,  if I don't have Premium to start and have to upgrade I prefer doing it beforehand, but that's just me.  😉

I know calling Celebrity can be a challenge at times and who you get and their knowledge is another story.  If you get an agent that knows what they are talking about, ask for their extension so you can always talk to that same person.  It depends on the department but usually it's possible. 

As soon as I book anything, whether it's the cruise or flights, etc..., I make sure I have an e-mail confirmation and check that everything is correct and print it out.  Usually the agent will wait on the phone to confirm the e-mail has come through. 

I love the planning and anticipation so I hope your planning goes a little more smoothly. 😉

Enjoy your cruise and Celebrity!  😃

🍹

Thanks for the kind thoughts - my flights and dining and tours were all booked online (used up some OBC) - and each time it would say 'we have sent a confirmation to .....) but alas no they did not - and yes they had my correct email on file - and did use it successfully for invoice emails.  

I think at this point I will wait til I am onboard - I understand the premium upgrade can be pro-rated so might just try out the Classic to see how it goes and if spending too much $$ on premium drinks then we always have the option to upgrade (at any bar I understand?)

So are you saying that since I don't have option to upgrade that somehow my booking is screwed up and I don't even have the Classic package noted on my reservation? (and I would honestly not be surprised if that is what is going on - still have little confidence with celebrity customer support!)

Thanks for the kind thoughts - my flights and dining and tours were all booked online (used up some OBC) - and each time it would say 'we have sent a confirmation to .....) but alas no they did not - and yes they had my correct email on file - and did use it successfully for invoice emails.  

I think at this point I will wait til I am onboard - I understand the premium upgrade can be pro-rated so might just try out the Classic to see how it goes and if spending too much $$ on premium drinks then we always have the option to upgrade (at any bar I understand?)

So are you saying that since I don't have option to upgrade that somehow my booking is screwed up and I don't even have the Classic package noted on my reservation? (and I would honestly not be surprised if that is what is going on - still have little confidence with celebrity customer support!)

Hi!  As long as you booked with a rate that included the Classic then you should be fine.   I have had it when I have the Classic or Premium at time of booking, it doesn't always show in the cruise planner.  I call, they work their 'magic' and then it shows.   I like to see it in writing.  😉

Do you have the Booking Confirmation from when you booked?  It will show the beverage package and any other perks you have.   I find online doesn't always show everything... I wish it did because it makes you wonder if everything is correct. 

Yes, if you wait a day or two to upgrade then you won't pay for the full length of the cruise, only for the days remaining.  

🍹

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:43 AM, Hutcha said:

Looks like they're $15.50 each. Makes everyone have to fill out a slip where they can add gratuity.

Martini bar.webp

So I'm assuming this means that nothing is completely covered from this list even if you have the Premium package? Wasn't that way the last time I cruised, but it has been awhile. Now I know where some of that extra OBC that is not enough to cover another excursion will be going. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, edeneyes said:

We are on the Equinox now.  We are not big drinkers, but the upgrade is very nice.  We haven’t had to worry about whether a drink is included.  And we have been able to try new drinks that aren’t included in the Classic package.

12 hours ago, edeneyes said:

Is Slush open? Watched a YouTube video the other day and the blogger walked past Slush outdoor bar and it was closed.

20 hours ago, Froufie said:

No 'blue banner' for me - I am past final payment - guess they don't want me to upgrade?  LOL.

Give them a quick call if you cannot do it online, currently if there is a discount then definitely call...

Otherwise on-board will be fine.

Cheers and bon voyage

Someone mentioned on FB that there were no beverages at $9 they were all $10 & $11 or $15.50 for martinis. So why have a classic beverage package if nothing is fully paid on it?

A true comprehensive published list including wines and cocktails with pricing or listed in the classic pkg sure would be nice.

13 hours ago, SugarStar00 said:

$15.50? So even if you have premium package you still have to pay the .50 per drink??

13 hours ago, eltigre said:

Someone mentioned on FB that there were no beverages at $9 they were all $10 & $11 or $15.50 for martinis. So why have a classic beverage package if nothing is fully paid on it?

A true comprehensive published list including wines and cocktails with pricing or listed in the classic pkg sure would be nice.

Perhaps the menu above includes the gratuities (European cruise) and the $15 stated is without the gratuity, so it is really $18 or so.  I can assure you that except for the Martini flight, the martini’s in the Martini bar are within the Premium drink package limit.  They are above the Classic drink package limit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Perhaps the menu above includes the gratuities (European cruise) and the $15 stated is without the gratuity, so it is really $18 or so.  I can assure you that except for the Martini flight, the martini’s in the Martini bar are within the Premium drink package limit.  They are above the Classic drink package limit.

That's very good to hear. I was bummed out seeing that menu. Signing a slip for 50 cents and thinking about a tip per drink is not really my idea of a vacation. 

On 1/25/2022 at 2:04 PM, 360Guy said:

If you upgrade on ship v pre-cruise, do you still get the 10% discount?  
Thanks!

No you do not get the discount on board.  I just upgraded for my Equinox cruise in May and for the 9 days with the 10% and Elite Plus the upgrade came to only $81.!!!!  I was pleasantly surprised and shocked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cebse said:

Looking at the premium beers do the actually have Guinness and Peroni on Equinox doe anyone know ? Thanks

Those are premium beers? Looks like culls to me. 

On 1/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, Lisah101 said:

So just a short rant - we have a cruise coming up in 59 days and I called to upgrade my beverage from classic to premium so I could get the 10% discount and the rep on the phone told me that would change the price of my cruise and I would owe the balance.  Tried twice to explain I didn't want to change my cruise rate only upgrade the beverage package as indicated in the elite benefits and she kept to her story that would rebook my cruise at a higher rate.  Very frustrated so I hung up and will try again hoping I get a different rep.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:01 AM, TeeRick said:

This seems very strange.  But you can just do a simple upgrade the day you board.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:16 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Clearly someone there misunderstood your request.  I know that there are a number of newer reps with Celebrity and perhaps it was a training issue.  I would definitely try again as what you are requesting and repricing your cruise are certainly two different things.  And what you are requesting can definately be done. Maybe they thought you wanted to go from Classic to Elevate or Indulge.  But even with that, that is an upgrade with a $30 charge for each level and does not require repricing.

As you plan, call and try again.....

I wonder if we had the same rep?  I was on a 9-night cancelled Infinity cruise this fall to Spain/Portugal - with them moving the Infinity to the Caribbean, I was offered a Lift & Shift to a 10 night Spain/France/Italy on Edge for same price.  I booked on a NRD with All Included back in December of 2020.  

I asked about upgrading my drink package to premium, then she started talking about Elevate and said she'd have to reprice it, said something about me having to pay the prevailing rate, and quoted me... ARE YOU READY.... $3200 EACH to upgrade.  We are in an Ocean View cabin on Deck 3... LMAO!!!  $3000?  I could be drinking Couvasier all day and could never drink $3000 worth of booze.

I said thanks but no thanks and thought that since I was getting the Edge for the same price as the Infinity maybe that's just how it was, but now I'm questioning that.  I don't want the extra OBC, Stream Internet or Shore Excursion credits with the Elevate package, I just want to get the 'up to $15' drinks with the premium package.

Did she tell me this because of Lift & Shift?  Because she wasn't trained right?  Or is this actually the truth?

If it is, I also wonder if maybe I can just upgrade on board for the $12/$13 anyway?

Advice appreciated, I don't want to be pressing them for something I'm not entitled to but this doesn't sound right reading what all of you are saying.

4 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I wonder if we had the same rep?  I was on a 9-night cancelled Infinity cruise this fall to Spain/Portugal - with them moving the Infinity to the Caribbean, I was offered a Lift & Shift to a 10 night Spain/France/Italy on Edge for same price.  I booked on a NRD with All Included back in December of 2020.  

I asked about upgrading my drink package to premium, then she started talking about Elevate and said she'd have to reprice it, said something about me having to pay the prevailing rate, and quoted me... ARE YOU READY.... $3200 EACH to upgrade.  We are in an Ocean View cabin on Deck 3... LMAO!!!  $3000?  I could be drinking Couvasier all day and could never drink $3000 worth of booze.

I said thanks but no thanks and thought that since I was getting the Edge for the same price as the Infinity maybe that's just how it was, but now I'm questioning that.  I don't want the extra OBC, Stream Internet or Shore Excursion credits with the Elevate package, I just want to get the 'up to $15' drinks with the premium package.

Did she tell me this because of Lift & Shift?  Because she wasn't trained right?  Or is this actually the truth?

If it is, I also wonder if maybe I can just upgrade on board for the $12/$13 anyway?

Advice appreciated, I don't want to be pressing them for something I'm not entitled to but this doesn't sound right reading what all of you are saying.

Telephone Celebrity.  We were told by our TA that she couldn’t do it and we should phone. We did and it was done straight away, with our Elite discount. Bargain. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, PatC said:

No you do not get the discount on board.  I just upgraded for my Equinox cruise in May and for the 9 days with the 10% and Elite Plus the upgrade came to only $81.!!!!  I was pleasantly surprised and shocked.

I upgraded with elite discount for my November 2021 Silhouette cruise.  I did not bother taking any beverage package on my Edge cruise last week. Found the HH drinks from 5 to 7 pm were sufficient; I also brought a case of san pellegrino on board. The bartender at Eden was great and was making me some fabulous martinis something different every day. The wine which I received in my stateroom was enough for the week. 

20220130_114520.jpg

• Thanks 1