Policing of handicap rooms

bstel

Having a hard time finding an acceptable handicapable room.  With handicap rooms fairly limited, how does RCCL manage them?  ie what prevents someone who doesnt need the room, from checking the box during booking to grab a room if they want it?  do they ask for documentation later?  what happens if someone more handicap comes along, can they bump you?

I have never personally tried to book a handicap room except for my parents, but I’ve asked the same question to my TA.

According to my TA, , you can book it, but there is a chance you will be bumped if someone who has handicapped status wants to book it. Unless of course you also can prove handicap status. I don’t think there is a contest of who is more handicapped.  

Short story, if you can prove handicap status I would find a good TA who will do the research to see if someone non-handicapped booked a handicapped room that you could book and bump them. (I have zero sympathy for fakers)

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 3

I believe it's the honor system, although there is an additional message that comes up when you book an accessible room on line that you do require it and that Royal investigates claims of misuse.

I also believe that Royal will sell an accessible room to anyone if all other cabins are booked.

To those that would book an accessible room under false pretenses and get away with it, karma will deal with them...

• Like 3

Who is to decide who is handicapped enough to book a hc cabin? I meet a lady onboard booking them who says she is having trouble walking. .. is that enough? Where is the line. I would say she was late 70s and mainly just older than what some call handicapped.

Saying someone is a fake might be a bit harsh as you cant always see peoples handicaps. 

If someone says hc rcl isnt allowed to ask for details btw. 

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Who is to decide who is handicapped enough to book a hc cabin? I meet a lady onboard booking them who says she is having trouble walking. .. is that enough? Where is the line. I would say she was late 70s and mainly just older than what some call handicapped.

Saying someone is a fake might be a bit harsh as you cant always see peoples handicaps. 

If someone says hc rcl isnt allowed to ask for details btw. 

Neither of my parents have “handicap” provable status, they do have trouble getting around, but they are 83 and 88 so they are not questioned. 

I’m sorry if that came off as my referring to fakers as someone who can’t prove it. I stand corrected. I was more thinking of people who book rooms because they like the location or layout. 

I didn’t know RC couldn’t ask for proof.   That is tough then unless you book very early 

Edited by cindivan

6 minutes ago, cindivan said:

Neither of my parents have “handicap” provable status, they do have trouble getting around, but they are 83 and 88 so they are not questioned. 

I’m sorry if that came off as my referring to fakers as someone who can’t prove it. I stand corrected. I was more thinking of people who book rooms because they like the location or layout. 

I didn’t know RC couldn’t ask for proof.   That is tough then unless you book very early 

I know. When my sister cruised with me we were just on the edge of managing without a hc cabin. She has balance issues and showers are fun with her hanging on and me washing her hair. She has other issues . ..so I have talked to a pvp at carnival who is the one who told me they cant ask what the handicap is. She didnt say but I'd guess its hippa or something. We do ask for a shower chair which carnival has. Never asked rcl. They have little white plastic chairs to put in the shower. She cant get up out of a bath tub .. that doesnt work either. So I have a little experience dealing with hc. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bstel said:

Having a hard time finding an acceptable handicapable room.  With handicap rooms fairly limited, how does RCCL manage them?  ie what prevents someone who doesnt need the room, from checking the box during booking to grab a room if they want it?  do they ask for documentation later?  what happens if someone more handicap comes along, can they bump you?

You can book those cabins BUT if another customer who can provide proof of need wants it, RCL will move them and give the person with documenation the cabin,

We will be on a multi-generational cruise in June.  It will be my parents’ (mid-80s) third cruise, but the first time that they have needed a handicap room.  When we booked it, they thought it was ridiculous to request handicapped, but since then, my mother has had major challenges with her arthritic legs and her physician has provided her all of the paperwork for a handicap placard for a car.  Some days she needs a cane or walker, but other days she is fine.  We were given the impression that RCCL could ask for additional information to verify their eligibility to request a handicap cabin.  

1 hour ago, cindivan said:

83 and 88?  Congrats.  That's wonderful to read.  I wish them good health and many more years.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 5

From my experience...

RCCL will go above and beyond to accomodate you.

Broons77 is correct...it's pretty much an honor system. It is against ADA rules to ask someone what their disabilities are.

Booking a handicap cabin when you know in your heart you don't have to...

My husband requires an accessible cabin as he has difficulty walking and uses a mobility scooter. Without an accessible cabin we couldn’t cruise. When you first book the cabin you have to attest that you need the cabin’s features (flat shower), no step up to the bathroom, higher toilet, grab bars, etc. Once you have booked you also have to fill out a Special Needs form telling them if you are using a wheelchair, walker or scooter, as well as any other specific needs you have. They can’t ask why you need it, but they can ask you to attest that you do need it.

Yes the cabins are larger but that extra space is needed if you have a wheelchair or scooter. And yes people with mobility issues can use these cabins without needing mobility devices, but they’re not meant for able bodied people just because they are older - or people who want the larger bathroom for scuba diving equipment (some people have bragged about that). There are people who cannot go on a cruise in a regular cabin and we usually have to book as soon as cruises are announced. Of course once final payment time comes, anyone can get one of these cabins. 

It’s not true that you will be bumped from an accessible cabin before a cruise if someone else can prove they need it more. Once the cabin is taken there is no one that checks to make sure you need it, though they should be looking at the special needs forms. It’s just no longer available to someone who does really need it. However, on the ship they can move you to a less desirable cabin if it appears you don’t need the accessible features. 

Kate

Edited by KateDen
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

From my experience...

RCCL will go above and beyond to accomodate you.

Broons77 is correct...it's pretty much an honor system. It is against ADA rules to ask someone what their disabilities are.

Booking a handicap cabin when you know in your heart you don't have to...

Traveled for US Govt and Military staying in Hotels almost 3 Decades, at times 10+ Months a yr. Once in while Hotel gave me HC Room sometimes was only Room left, other times thought doing me a favor with Larger Room traveling with 3 Kids. As wasn't needed by me bothered me a bit, what IF another Guest came needing it and this Room wasnt available.

50 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Traveled for US Govt and Military staying in Hotels almost 3 Decades, at times 10+ Months a yr. Once in while Hotel gave me HC Room sometimes was only Room left, other times thought doing me a favor with Larger Room traveling with 3 Kids. As wasn't needed by me bothered me a bit, what IF another Guest came needing it and this Room wasnt available.

Thank you for your service.

You and the hotel had good intentions.

It's those who intentionally book handicap rooms or cabins, knowing full well they are not disabled or handicapped.......(refraining from saying anything that will get me in trouble here.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I believe the handicapped rooms are designed to accommodate a wheelchair.  So I assume being confined or requiring a wheelchair would be the criteria.  

Not necessarily.  Some people need the no-step bathroom and shower chair, but aren't confined to a wheelchair.  Not all mobility-challenged people are completely unable to walk.

With that being said, I have cruised in an accessible room without needing it before, because I noticed the room was released to the public.  It was the week of the sailing, and there were several inside accessible rooms available, so I moved both of our rooms to accessible rooms.  At that late date, it was unlikely that someone needing the accessible room would be attempting to book it.

Generally, if it's the last room available in its category, or if it's after final payment date, if an accessible room is available, they'll make it available to the general public.  

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 3

At least twice when booking guarantees, have been assigned handicap/accessible cabins.  Beside more room and accessible bathroom, many have items for hearing impaired.

We don't care for the cabin because it usually has less regular seating to make room for a wheelchair.  But when booking a guarantee, you get what you get. 

Hopefully they have changed that policy, this happened years ago.

Mobility for the elderly can often mean they can't side step in front of a bed or step up into a shower or bath. Just imagine being 80+ years old - had a glass of wine or two on a sea day with wobbly seas. A fall is a very serious problem and can be fatal - the rooms are full of obstacles. I personally would try to book a Jr Suite if affordable if all I needed was space (but then again the tubs are horrible for elderly). I do think those with mobility devices need to have access to rooms specifically for transfers from chair to chair / bed.

We cruised with my family and my sisters family in 2016. My nephew is in a wheelchair we had to provide documentation about the size and weight of his wheelchair. Don't remember if we needed any other documentation. The extra room for his chair was really appreciated.

13 hours ago, bstel said:

T10 paraplegic here 100% confined to a wheelchair.  Its frustrating for sure. When I first started cruising 13 years ago, pretty regularly I could book a cruise and find a HA cabin 6 months out.  Now I have to book over a year in advance.  Im not sure how they manage it but It is my experience that RC will NOT "bump" people from these cabins.  I wish you the best of luck!  

2 hours ago, ryano said:

T10 paraplegic here 100% confined to a wheelchair.  Its frustrating for sure. When I first started cruising 13 years ago, pretty regularly I could book a cruise and find a HA cabin 6 months out.  Now I have to book over a year in advance.  Im not sure how they manage it but It is my experience that RC will NOT "bump" people from these cabins.  I wish you the best of luck!  

We were bumped from a ha cabin that was assigned as a guarantee. We were asked to prove need but explained not requested but assigned. They thanked us and moved us.

2 hours ago, ryano said:

With ships sailing 1/2 full?

We booked one once because I had an aunt with Parkinson's and an aunt with MS that we were trying to take on a cruise.  We actually arranged them so that they only took 1 cabin (rather than splitting them up with their children). No documentation was asked for, although we were going to get both of them a scooter.  The cruise never went off, unfortunately, and one has since passed away.  

I agree that not all handicaps are visible, and yes, people may need one who don't "look handicapped" and it's a tough slope for RCL to figure out.  But I also think that most people are good.  And I got yelled at on this board once for asking someone who had their accessible room taken away if they had perhaps not passed the RCL criteria on a previous cruise.  Who knows?  I'm glad it's not me making the decisions!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 6:26 AM, brillohead said:

Not necessarily.  Some people need the no-step bathroom and shower chair, but aren't confined to a wheelchair.  Not all mobility-challenged people are completely unable to walk.

This description is exactly the issues with my mid-80s parents.  My father has a difficult time with balance when going up/down steps.  My mother’s arthritic leg pain really requires her to use a shower chair, so there’s no concern with falling in the shower.  Both really need the higher toilet with hand rails, so they can get up & down easier.  They live in a handicapped accessible apartment, so, of course, we booked them a handicapped cruise cabin.

• Like 1

Royal will open them up for booking if there are no other cabins in that category. Last week I was looking to book a JS on a very popular cruise that is over 18 months away and the only JS available was one of the HC ones. I didn’t book the cruise because I wouldn’t take the HC cabin away from someone who might need it, but the next day neither of the two HC cabins were available so I guess someone booked them.