Dining Dress Code

adlb1300

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all restaurants (complimentary or specialty) for all meals for all persons (except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where gents are asked to wear jeans or dockers). 

I guess that wouldnt be ""ALL"" then would it  ??     Always a battle with you 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mpk218 said:

That sounds like a great idea , I may join you ..

Hopefully we'll be able to both don our Kilts and share a few dark ales on some cruise someday.😎  I only hope that the dress *** on the forum will be on the same ship to see it.  I refuse to pay for the Haven but will gladly throw some money away to buy our photo with the Captain.  I'm betting that he will want a copy as well.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:07 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why not ask your adult child what he/she would like to wear?  I would be much more interested in letting my family member decide what to wear than what a bunch of (occasionally snobish) internet cruisers have to think.

I was never planning to tell them what to wear. However, as someone who has never cruised before I was looking for advice on what is acceptable for those 2 places in particular since those are the speciality dining we are doing. The point being to make sure they know what is ok so they pack something that would be ok since I was unsure how it all worked after reading the guidelines on the NCL site. Figured I would ask those who have cruised and eaten at these places what is ok. As mentioned by others the last thing I want is for us to not being able to eat at those places because we misunderstood the guidelines and the kid did not pack something that would work as that will make my kid feel bad and ruin their vacation. Outside of those 2 places we are likely to just eat at one of complimentary locations which I know the kids normal attire will be fine. 

• Like 3

We have only used NCL once in the past (The Star Greek Islands) My husband and 2 lads only had shorts packed and other than one night we only ate in the speciality restaurants. I hadn’t realised dress code might be a thing as it was our first cruise but everyone was fine and it was never mentioned 

PS what are dockers???? 

Edited by mrshorsy
Missed information

9 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

We have only used NCL once in the past (The Star Greek Islands) My husband and 2 lads only had shorts packed and other than one night we only ate in the speciality restaurants. I hadn’t realised dress code might be a thing as it was our first cruise but everyone was fine and it was never mentioned 

PS what are dockers???? 

Dockers are a popular brand of casual trousers.

1 hour ago, mrshorsy said:

PS what are dockers???? 

Khakis, etc.  long trousers/pants that aren’t denim but also aren’t suit material.

I think a lot of people use the brand name -  kind of like Crayola for crayons, Q-tips for cotton swabs, or Kleenex for tissues.

544725EB-2E21-4284-8273-FF8CED6381F1.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all restaurants (complimentary or specialty) for all meals for all persons (except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue where gents are asked to wear jeans or dockers). 

This is incorrect in my experience.

8 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

On some ships the nicer MDR does not allow shorts for over 12 year olds. My tall 11 year old was asked his age.

Agreed. I have seen many adults turned away for wearing shorts to the nicer dining room at the back of the ship on Jewel class ships.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are my Bermuda length shorts considered "shorts" or short pants?

On a Breakaway sailing to Bermuda...I wasn't allowed to enter Le Bistro due to wearing the Bermuda Shorts that I just purchased in Bermuda while docked in Bermuda. I found that to be very ironic. (The Bermuda Shorts were far dressier than any Jeans or Dockers)

Not only that but as we sat outside and watched for awhile it quickly became apparent that the same rules didn't apply to women. I quickly realized as women were allowed to enter wearing shorts that had less fabric than most handkerchiefs.. that not only was the policy ironic but also seemed to be quite sexist as well. 😁

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

On a Breakaway sailing to Bermuda...I wasn't allowed to enter Le Bistro due to wearing the Bermuda Shorts that I just purchased in Bermuda while docked in Bermuda. I found that to be very ironic. (The Bermuda Shorts were far dressier than any Jeans or Dockers)

Not only that but as we sat outside and watched for awhile it quickly became apparent that the same rules didn't apply to women. I quickly realized as women were allowed to enter wearing shorts that had less fabric than most handkerchiefs.. that not only was the policy ironic but also seemed to be quite sexist as well. 🙃

🤣  Next time, tell them that you are identifying as a woman at that moment.  Like you, my twill/pleated shorts (about $50 at Lands end) are likely much "nicer" than what many others are wearing.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Hopefully we'll be able to both don our Kilts and share a few dark ales on some cruise someday.😎  I only hope that the dress *** on the forum will be on the same ship to see it.  I refuse to pay for the Haven but will gladly throw some money away to buy our photo with the Captain.  I'm betting that he will want a copy as well.

Arrgg 🥂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

This is incorrect in my experience.

Agreed. I have seen many adults turned away for wearing shorts to the nicer dining room at the back of the ship on Jewel class ships.

Unfortunately, that is incorrect information for the ship the OP is asking about… which is one of the big ships where shorts are allowed in all restaurants except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. 

I think we need some clarification regarding the aft dining room.

On many (I believe most) ships the aft dining room has the slightly stricter dress code (ie no shorts), but not every ship. As a rule of thumb, the older ships tend to have the no shorts requirement and the newer ones don’t, but that is not a strict rule. I don’t think that they have ever need listed on here. The only way you can know for sure is to wait until you board and see what it says in the dailies as these things could change.

Ive not been on the Breakaway for a few years, but last time I was (2019) no shorts were allowed in Manhattan. That may have changed

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I think we need some clarification regarding the aft dining room.

On many (I believe most) ships the aft dining room has the slightly stricter dress code (ie no shorts), but not every ship. As a rule of thumb, the older ships tend to have the no shorts requirement and the newer ones don’t, but that is not a strict rule. I don’t think that they have ever need listed on here. The only way you can know for sure is to wait until you board and see what it says in the dailies as these things could change.

Ive not been on the Breakaway for a few years, but last time I was (2019) no shorts were allowed in Manhattan. That may have changed

i was turned away in october..sigh. off to taste i go

On 2/22/2022 at 8:37 PM, debenson0723 said:

Just off the Escape 10 days ago and ate at both Teppanyaki and Moderno.  Travel Partner wore shorts and a polo in both.  With the other two men at our table in Teppanyaki, one wore jeans and a button down shirt and the other one a graphic tee, cargo shorts and sandals.  I wanted to go to Le Bistro but a button down shirt was not packed so we skipped that one. 

I ate at Le Bistro 3 times, wearing a golf/polo shirt each time.  It was fine.  I don't believe I even packed a button down shirt. One of my friends had to change when he showed up at Ocean Blue in shorts so they do enforce but I didn't find the dress code too onerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

I ate at Le Bistro 3 times, wearing a golf/polo shirt each time.  It was fine.  I don't believe I even packed a button down shirt. One of my friends had to change when he showed up at Ocean Blue in shorts so they do enforce but I didn't find the dress code too onerous.

I believe that the "requirement" is for a collar, not a "button down" collar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mafig said:

Just to clarify for Joy in the Haven restaurant.   I already told DH he could wear shorts there.  That is correct, isn't it?  

Yes. That is correct. Have a great, casual, cruise! Hubby doesn't need to impress anyone except you. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

That's fine.  I would just let my DS/DD know what the dress code is for certain restaurants.  Aren't we talking about an 18 year old here?

Perhaps the 18 yo ASKED the parent what is acceptable and they are looking for clarification here on their behalf

Dress code is sort of flexible on cruises to Alaska - somewhat due to weather extremes.

Different from warm weather Caribbean Panama Canal cruises.

But in general one or more of the Specialty restaurants and one of the Main Dining rooms

are upgraded Cruise Casual pants and collared (polo) shirt -

i.e. no shorts flip-flop footwear "T" shirts - - - and HATs don't get me started on HATS

AND IF WEARING A "HAT" prepare to walk the plank  - "NO HATS" in any restaurants  !!!!!

Well for the Buffet -OK- keep the hat browser out of the food Please ! LOL tongue in cheek !

• Like 1