Azura

ovccruiser

I have sailed with P & O a few times, but on their older ships (now gone) Oceana and Artemis, but have booked a cruise on Azura next year. What is the ship like? I know it's bigger, but what's it really like. I have also sailed on Queen Elizabeth, Victoria and QM2 as well as Grand Princess, does it compare with any of those, probably not 😄 

Never sailed on any of the ships named, but know that Azura is similar to Grand Princess. Same public space but with another deck of cabins added increasing pasenger capacity by about 20%. So for Azura, think a more crowded Grand Princess.

We're trying Azura for the first time in June and are looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about her.

Can I also ask a question please?  I've been looking at YouTube videos on this lovely wet, miserable day and can't decide between the pool area at The Retreat or the one at the back (whose name escapes me).  I like a sunbed in an area not too heavily populated, not expecting too many children on board in June anyway,  where I can cool off with a quick dip when my inbuilt thermostat boils over.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

I have sailed with P & O a few times, but on their older ships (now gone) Oceana and Artemis, but have booked a cruise on Azura next year. What is the ship like? I know it's bigger, but what's it really like. I have also sailed on Queen Elizabeth, Victoria and QM2 as well as Grand Princess, does it compare with any of those, probably not 😄 

It's quite difficult to say generally what a ship is like, especially when we all experience them differently. Might help if you have some specific questions or tell us what you enjoy when you cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It's quite difficult to say generally what a ship is like, especially when we all experience them differently. Might help if you have some specific questions or tell us what you enjoy when you cruise.

Good answer.

It's like asking what a Holiday Inn is like.  With no point of reference,  or precise question, no one can answer. 

• Like 1

Azura is our favourite ship. We love the atrium with the Blue Bar overlooking it. Perfect to watch (in the past) various entertainments. We always go for sun beds away from the main pool areas as they are much quieter. We are on her in September going to the Eastern Med, hoping things have not changed too much since we were on her in 2019.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Azura is our favourite ship. We love the atrium with the Blue Bar overlooking it. Perfect to watch (in the past) various entertainments. We always go for sun beds away from the main pool areas as they are much quieter. We are on her in September going to the Eastern Med, hoping things have not changed too much since we were on her in 2019.

Excellent answer. 

Can I just ask what other ships you have been on ? 

Why, for  example, is it better than Britannia or Sky Princess ?

Edited by Billish

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

That is the reason that we hated it! We had a lovely cruise, and met some wonderful table companions,

The Blue bar with those horrible seats, and the open atrium with the dance class music, vying with the different music in the glass house, at lunchtime, truly horrific. Not an age thing, more an intolerance of being subjected to Butlins on sea. Not directly a P&O problem, more down to the performers over exuberance and lack of guidance on the necessity for everyone one to say Hi d Hi! to be happy! Would not sail on her again.

7 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

That is the reason that we hated it! We had a lovely cruise, and met some wonderful table companions,

The Blue bar with those horrible seats, and the open atrium with the dance class music, vying with the different music in the glass house, at lunchtime, truly horrific. Not an age thing, more an intolerance of being subjected to Butlins on sea. Not directly a P&O problem, more down to the performers over exuberance and lack of guidance on the necessity for everyone one to say Hi d Hi! to be happy! Would not sail on her again.

Each to their own view. We had some lovely times in the Blue Bar. We met lots of lovely people there, became very friendly with the staff. Having been to Butlins as a child I couldn’t see the comparison. Our favourite memory was listening to the passenger choir singing on the steps towards the end of the cruise. We also enjoyed the pianist and quizzes there.  For us a very sociable space.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Billish said:

Excellent answer. 

Can I just ask what other ships you have been on ? 

Why, for  example, is it better than Britannia or Sky Princess ?

We have been on Oriana (our first P&O cruise), Ventura, Acadia, Britannia, Crown Princess and Ruby Princess. We enjoyed them all for various reasons, destinations mostly. We prefer the larger ships. We have sailed on Britannia several times, always enjoyed the cruises but the layout of Azura, for us, is better, particularly the Atrium. We also like the deeper balconies on C and D decks on Azura.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Waju said:

We're trying Azura for the first time in June and are looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about her.

Can I also ask a question please?  I've been looking at YouTube videos on this lovely wet, miserable day and can't decide between the pool area at The Retreat or the one at the back (whose name escapes me).  I like a sunbed in an area not too heavily populated, not expecting too many children on board in June anyway,  where I can cool off with a quick dip when my inbuilt thermostat boils over.

Thank you.

The pool area near the retreat on both Azura and Ventura are normally quiet. You don’t have to pay for the retreat to go in them, which is probably why they are quiet and most people think you have to pay. They did have one of them infinity machines but sometimes they didn’t work. Don’t know if they still have them. Before Covid ( don’t know if this is still possible at the moment) we used to use this pool because it was near the changing rooms which had showers , shower gel etc and plenty of towels. If you gave your room card to the spa reception you got a key to a locker but as I say since Covid this might be considered unsafe. 

Oh and this pool used to be adult only so I assume still is

Edited by amajaa
  • Like 1

I'm booked on Azura at the end of next month and have been on her a couple of times before. We  watched a film on the sea screen, but last time it wasn't working! I prefer Ventura as the pool area has a retractable roof making it better for chillier days.

• Like 2

We also like the Azura and loved every minute onboard doing a couple of TA crossings on her. Sometimes we find that the longer cruises have a different feel to the shorter ones .

As for what makes one ship better than another is down to personal choice/needs.

It's a bit like going to a shoe shop and trying to explain why you chose a certain shoe ,yet

the last few customers before you never chose that one .You just know what's right for you.

Some ships we don't have to go on we know they are not for us but that's not to say if you 

go onboard, you will have the time of your life . Going Back to the Azura ,the little things 

can be one of your memorable. We would go up near the golf nets on the sun beds and 

it was total peace and quiet with great views and just us two for company . :classic_love:

Some people would hate that but that's ok as it's your cruise holiday .

• Like 6

Interesting to read the opinions of Azura. Sailed on Ventura and enjoyed it so we have treated ourselves to a suite next February on a 14 day fly cruise from Tenerife, mixed comments on faceache but we will enjoy the extra space and large balcony.

• Like 1

Its really interesting to read everyone's observations and opinions.  It is a good job we all like different things isn't it?

I'm looking forward to trying Azura, have been reminded we did go Ventura a few years ago and Azura will be similar in layout.  My ship of choice would always be Aurora but looking forward to seeing something new (to us!)

I hope the outdoor cinema is working when we go in June as I'd love to experience watching a film under the stars! 🙂

• Like 1

Just had an email with my paperwork from P&O and have been asked to log my dining preferences.  My options are 5.15pm, 7.00pm or 8.45pm (or freedom dining) - I've never come across these times before - has anyone else?

6 minutes ago, Waju said:

Just had an email with my paperwork from P&O and have been asked to log my dining preferences.  My options are 5.15pm, 7.00pm or 8.45pm (or freedom dining) - I've never come across these times before - has anyone else?

New to me - wasn’t it just two sittings?  Always Freedom Dined, personally, but swings and roundabouts.

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

New to me - wasn’t it just two sittings?  Always Freedom Dined, personally, but swings and roundabouts.

Mmmmm I've only ever known two sittings.

When I look closer it's a secure 'cunard' link so maybe they've just sent me the wrong link!

I'll ring the agent.

47 minutes ago, Waju said:

No, but 7.00pm would be quite good! 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wonder if they are squeezing in an extra sitting in order to have less people in the MDR at one time….?