Nassau for first time - recommendations, please!

joyandjerry

After at least six cancelled cruises, we are to sail 25 March on Enchantment, and one of the ports is Nassau. The reviews I have read have been mixed. We enjoy active excursions, not shopping, and like to see historical structures and natural beauty. I have a walking tour from GPS My City, but many comment the area is not safe. Walking and exploring are fave activities, and I would like to see Queen's Staircase and the Parliament Buildings, etc. Blue Lagoon was mentioned, as was Pearl Island (prefer less commotion). But we have done dolphins/stingrays, etc. at other ports. Also, we are not "lay on the beach" types, and wonder if Pearl Island is worth it after visiting Coco Cay the same cruise.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

I've never felt unsafe while walking around central Nassau during a cruise stop.  On one cruise getting through the arrivals area where aggressive people trying to sell you something or take you somewhere was a little annoying, but not unsafe.  On other cruises, I didn't seem to notice that level of aggressiveness.   Once out on the streets, we explore as much as we want without feeling in danger.  Not to say you won't encounter something, but we have not had an issue.   Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.  Just like you should in any urban area.

Having said that, after doing several cruises that stopped in Nassau, we probably would just stay on the ship.  It doesn't offer us any level of interest any more.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We took NCL to Nassau, and admittedly this was 12 years ago, but we just walked around on our own in the morning and explored Queen's Staircase, the historical buildings and fort, then had lunch in a cute little restaurant we found. In the afternoon we took an excursion we booked on our own (not through the cruiseline) to snorkel with stingrays. Ironically, we discovered on the catamaran ride to the private island for the stingray beach that the other passengers taking the shuttle ride over there were actually part of a NCL-organized shore excursion. So we literally got the exact same excursion as others on our ship, but we paid a third less.

• Like 1

There's a brand new Margaritaville resort that offers day passes.  You can get them bare bones or including credit for food/drink.  I would research them directly as well as through third party vendors.

Saw a YouTube video from Parodeejay when they were there and the place looks nice, especially the lazy river.

• Like 1

being positive here:

just was in nassau last week. the straw market is open 

there is a mcdonalds

just a few feet off the port are small stands which sell coke which you cannot get on ncl ships so my gf was happy

if you truly want a customized purse etc the straw market is the place to go for it. 

if you stay on the 2 streets closest to the port you wont ever feel unsafe, even in the alleys.  

the pirate museum is a great place to get a bit of coolness and learn some history

the water is very blue. if you can get in it it would be wonderful. 

when you are parked in the farthest dock you burn off all your cruise calories. 

since royal has coke on board we will be staying on board next time in the bahamas and enjoying the empty solarium and suite deck as well as zero waiting for anything. 

• Like 1

Nassau is a great place to visit. The town area at the dock is very safe. Find a cab driver who will take you around the island for 2-3 hours. You will be able to see all the interesting sites as well as Atlantis. Been there many times and never had an issue. 

• Like 1

We have been to Nassau twice (the last time was right before Covid).  We walked all over town and never had any issues. (Queens Staircase, John Watlings Distillery, Graycliff Hotel/Cigar/Chocolate store, Government House, etc.)  The only thing we had to be concerned with was the traffic in some areas.  The sidewalks on a few streets are narrow or non-existent and the cars/trucks seemed to be in a hurry.  (lol)

Speaking of traffic, if you like to people watch or view the hustle and bustle of the street, there is a Greek restaurant located above a jewelry store on Bay Street.  (near the cruise dock - Athena Café & Bar) It has indoor and outdoor seating and a balcony with tables overlooking the street and has decent food.  It's a nice place to relax and watch the goings on if you have time to kill.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

People, this is the OP’s first time visiting Nassau. 

Do you think that you could ditch the negativity?????

Gotcha.

OP, when I go to Nassau, I check out the shops in the downtown area near the port.  The shop owners really appreciate our business.

OP,

DO take an island tour.  Always nice to see something outside the immediate cruise pier area.  Do skip the straw market.  Not a fan of Atlantis,  Overrated and over priced for a brief visit.  A medium walk or short taxi ride away is Awak City with its great little lolos serving conch and other seafood delights. You can also walk to the John Watlings Distillery for  rum tasting. The Ardastra Gardens are nice to walk through if you enjoy that type of activity.  

• Like 2

Our first time to Nassau we did a tour of the island as we did with every island we have been to because liked hearing the history of the islands. After tours we usually walk around to the shops and things and maybe find a place to grab a bite to eat. We have now been to Nassau two times and have never not felt safe. As in any country and even in the good old USA you just need to be street smart and don’t go venturing off down alleys and streets off the beaten path and you will be alright. If people approach you to try to sell you something they are not trying to do you harm but just say no thanks and keep it moving. With that being said we will be there in June and may get off the ship and walk down Broad Street to look in the shops and then spend the rest of the day on the ship. I always tell people to get off the ship their first time to see for theirselves as the people who tell you not to get off got off to see for their self once upon a time!

• Like 2

I don't know why so many people are so negative about Nassau.  It does have some interesting history.  We were there this past September with some first time cruisers.  We got off the ship and took a tour for $20 pp.  Went to the staircase, the rum factory, a nice place by the ocean to grab snacks, drinks,and restroom.  We also went to Atlantis and viewed the aquarium (free).  Some of our group are educators and we enjoyed seeing a school and learning how the educational system works.  It was a great tour!  Felt safe the entire time.  I hope the OP will decide to get off the ship at least once.  I have been to Nassau at least 5 times and have always found something to do, even when we just got off and walked around on our own.  I have been to more exotic islands while cruising, but I still think Nassau is great.

• Like 2

Thanks so much to all for your suggestions! We try to be independent whenever possible. Rather than stay on the ship, I would like to see what an area has, as I cruise for the ports. As far as aggressive vendors go, they can't be any worse than Colombia! 🙂

5 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

As far as aggressive vendors go, they can't be any worse than Colombia! 🙂

How does Colombia compare to Jamaica?  

I've been to Cartagena, but don't recall dealing with any vendors other than tour guides.

P.S.  I'm on the same Enchantment sailing.  🙂

Edited by Another_Critic