Farcus Inspired Excel Ship

tx121

Would you be excited if Carnival did a 180 and went back to "its roots" and did a Joe Farcus inspired design for the Carnival Jubilee? 

I think it would be quite interesting and welcome change. Yes it's gaudy and "neon-y" but that's kind of what separated Carnival in the first place from other lines. I do love how the Mardi Gras turned out, but it seems more like a NCL or RCL modern design inside. I think it would be a FUN concept.

What are your thoughts? 

Edited by tx121
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, tx121 said:

Would you be excited if Carnival did a 180 and went back to "its roots" and did a Joe Farcus inspired design for the Carnival Jubilee? 

I think it would be quite interesting and welcome change. Yes it's gaudy and "neon-y" but that's kind of what separated Carnival in the first place from other lines. I do love how the Mardi Gras turned out, but it seems more like a NCL or RCL modern design inside. I think it would be a FUN concept.

What are your thoughts? 

Why does FUN Mean gaudy? Or put it another way, why does an updated, contemporary design mean less fun? 

• Like 4

I'm in the minority here but yes please! I love the Farcus decor - it was always especially fun when first boarding to see what theme the ship would have and how it would be incorporated in each venue. I'm not a big fan of how on the newer ship all the venue names and decor are the same, it makes it less enticing to try all of the ships in my opinion. 

Edited by Cruisegirl1919
  • Like 8

I think there is some merit to this question. Obviously some of the designs were gaudy, but it's possible that the modern resort/cruse "style" of being neutral can be boring. Vegas seems to be going the same way by avoiding any kind of themes.

Why not a compromise? There's a way to give the ship some character without being too crazy. The examples I can think of are the Carnival Liberty, or the Mirage in Las Vegas.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

I think there is some merit to this question. Obviously some of the designs were gaudy, but it's possible that the modern resort/cruse "style" of being neutral can be boring. Vegas seems to be going the same way by avoiding any kind of themes.

Why not a compromise? There's a way to give the ship some character without being too crazy. The examples I can think of are the Carnival Liberty, or the Mirage in Las Vegas.

You find this bar, the Brass Magnolia on the MardiGras,boring?

PXL_20210907_021913539.MP.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, geneparmesan said:

That's a very specific question in response to my statement. No, I don't. 

1 minute ago, geneparmesan said:

That's a very specific question in response to my statement. No, I don't. 

The MardiGras does exactly what your proposing. Instead of the Farcus style where every possible surface of the ship was decorated with doo dads (Who actually thought big Peptobismol pink circles on every surface of the Splendor was a good design choice?) Various venues have a tasteful theme, yet the entire ship is modern pleasing to the eye. Another example on the MardiGras is the whole Summer Landing area in the Aft portion. There's multiple areas but each has a fun decor and is anything but boring.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The MardiGras does exactly what your proposing. Instead of the Farcus style where every possible surface of the ship was decorated with doo dads (Who actually thought big Peptobismol pink circles on every surface of the Splendor was a good design choice?) Various venues have a tasteful theme, yet the entire ship is modern pleasing to the eye. Another example on the MardiGras is the whole Summer Landing area in the Aft portion. There's multiple areas but each has a fun decor and is anything but boring.

That's good to hear and does sound like it fits what I'm describing. I hope to get on the Mardi Gras soon to check it out! 

Edited by geneparmesan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tx121 said:

What are your thoughts? 

HELL YEAH!!!!!!

And I don't think the Farcus designed ships are gaudy at all.  People just need to expand their horizons a little bit and appreciate things that are a little 'different'.

• Like 3

Some of those Farcus ships are horrid. The Victory was the worst!!! Can't tell you how many times I bashed my knee on those seahorses at the bottom of each stairwell. 

I'm taking my husband on the Paradise later this year so we can see one of the old ships before they go out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is the hallmark of a Farcus design?   I have only been on three "older" ships so I am not familiar with this design. When I googled him, it just looked like a lot of the designs were "over the top" like many design choices were back in the 80s and early 90s.

The purpose of the Excel Class ships is to differentiate itself from the rest of the current Carnival fleet and make the ship a little more similar to what the latest offerings are currently available from their primary competition from RCI, NCL and MSC.

The new Golden Jubilee bar area on the Celebration gives a nod to Farcus and the impact he had with carnival back in the day.  There is no reason to come out with a brand new state of the art ship that looks like one of his outdated designs.  It's time for Carnival and their new younger CEO to move forward, not backward.

• Like 3